How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8/10/11

Maybe, it's about shell32 internal changes as msoe calls the COM interfaces from that library. Maybe something else. I really don't think it's worth digging this issue.

I agree not worth it.
I think if you copy in just the WinMail program files that are given on this forums Post 1 into yours, which is what's showing in my previous posts screenshot, and if it does not work then you will know your problem is elsewhere yes. Compare the files versions first since it works for me and that's exactly what I use for Win7 x86/x64

It sounds cool! Did you do this on Windows 10?

It works on all of them, and I just tested again and took a few screens if ever needed later.
I just tested it on that Win7 x64 and it worked, and then booted to Win10 v1709 and it worked there too.
btw, I also noticed the other day that on v1709 without the 1709 reg entries, that the 4 entries in the Import "Messages" tab was blank, but after 1709 reg entries merged then those 4 listings show up.

I must say, I never use this Import function, 'sometimes' it's annoying and not accurate (it's better than nothing! I suppose)
When I tested it puts everything in a separate "Imported Folder" underneath, instead of where it's suppose to go, and so you have to take a LOT of time to move them to where they are suppose to go. They do not all copy perfectly either depending on all of what you have and where it's from. I took a few screens but decided not to post them as to not bolster that Import function...

Instead, I exclusively use the Backup/Restore procedure mentioned in tutorial for a complete restore totality, exactly, perfectly!

Didn't have a chance to use your technique, but maybe I'll give it a try. :)

Not my technique but Microsoft, not worth it, ...instead use the said Backup/Restore procedure.
That import feature is a last resort, if needed, for something.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live
Just updated the win10 pro 64 bit to 1803 and the new
msoe.dll does not work. The Advanced Tab is blank.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win10Prox64, Win8Prox86, Win7Prox64, VistaHomex86
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Thank you for your report! It seems, MS tries to play the games with us, as we've just fixed it. :D I will investigate and edit this post when I get the solution.

upd:
Well, I got everything working after this "unfriendly" 1803 update. I know that endeavor wants to make everything clear about the things that are happening, so I won't be writing about "fixes". If someone has updated recently and got this "MS' surprise" - be patient, please. You will get your WM repaired and kicking. :)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Hello endeavor, I am wondering, has anybody reported such a problem: whenever I click "create new email", winmail automatically restarts itself, every time. This happens at the new computer with win10 home 1709 system in which I just installed winmail a week ago, but not at the old one with win10 1607 system. The other buttons do not have such problem.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10 1903/1909
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Spectre, Huawei
No, sorry Danny I've Never heard of that problem before from anyone, ever, never - until you just mentioned it.
I don't even know what to suggest, but I know if you install the procedure correctly, that should not happen.

I'm out of ideas at the moment of what you may have done to cause that problem; very busy in RL
I'll think on it though, but not sure if I can recreate that issue since I don't know what you've done..

@ others
In the next few days when I get a break, I will get some time to work on Win10 v1803

fwiw...
...in the meantime I don't see an immediate need for WinMail users to be in such a hurry to move up to this new update yet either

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Never mind Endeavor. I have found the reason and solved the problem now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10 1903/1909
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Spectre, Huawei
Could you tell us, what was the reason for such strange behavior?..
Yes dadreamer. I found that somehow after installed in the new system the "signature" content is empty (you can find it in "Tools-signature". I input signature content in the old system, and supposedly it should be the same after transferred into the new system). Then I deleted the existing "signature 1" whose content is empty, then set signature again. Then it is back to normal again...I hope you understand what I said.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10 1903/1909
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Spectre, Huawei
Good Morning,

@ Danny - nice job and thanks for following through to fix it, and letting us know.
..signature content is stored within "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail" and so if you used the tutorial Backup/Restore procedure which has that, then if your source had it - it should of transfered to your new.

@ Nestor

Yes, the Advanced tab is working okay....
I just had a chance to install v1803 this morning, and the 'upgrade' install routine for 1803 compared to 1709 is pretty much the same, it will remove most of WinMail and its assets. Therefore the resolve to reinstate WinMail is the same as it always was for major updates and especially upgrades, and that is to re-run the entire tutorial on Post #1 & #2 ..in order.

From what I can see, there is nothing new we need to add to the tutorial for 1803 from what we have now!
Everything works as expected! ..and that's a good thing really.

To reinstate WinMail for 1803 it took me just a few minutes of clicking all the steps on post 1 & 2, in order, just as it's outlined.
(I have my needed files all saved in one place, even with shortcuts to destinations, and that way it makes it easy to click, click, click through it all very quickly; of course having done it so many times make it easier)

Screenshot of my 1803 install today
click image to open full

v1803.jpg

Nestor if you have WinMail working except for the Advanced tab blank, I would think either you don't have the (Update_5-2018.zip) with its modified 'msoe.dll' in place, and/or, the (5-2018_UpdateReg.zip) with it's 1709+Update.reg merged.

I don't see anything we need to add new to the tutorial for 1803 from what we have now.
I personally still don't suggest WinMail users go out and install it, unless you want to and need it, but create backups first!
My main tower Always will stay with a previous version of Win10, but of course am always testing new builds on test bench.
I much prefer doing fresh installs of new OS versions instead of upgrades anyway. I do not like doing upgrades, because besides the much greater % opportunity for things to go wrong is there, but mostly because it has way too much file/registry baggage ..even after you delete the Windows.old folder.

fwiw, v1709 WinMail users who already had WinMail installed and working, for me the 1803 upgrade process did not touch the WM store folder: C:\Users\yourcomputername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail (left emails, accounts, etc, as they were)
..and so for an 'upgrade' you may not (normally) need your backup/restore files, but I want to remind all the WinMail users from way back, and current WinMail users, Please, take the time to understand the Back/Restore procedure in the Post 1 tutorial (it's within the Spoiler tab) ..and make all the backups and have them ready for when you need them. Trust me it will save the day for you eventually if your message store folder gets removed, corrupted, and when it does, you will understand the ultimate goal and importance of it.
For fresh OS Installs of 1709/1803+ ..then for current WinMail users it's a necessity, and you Will need/want to use your created backups, and perform the Backup/Restore process, and with just a few minutes of your time to do it, can save you days of hassle! ..and the exact restore of emails, and everything, is priceless!

...edited for more info...

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Nestor if you have WinMail working except for the Advanced tab blank, I would think either you don't have the (Update_5-2018.zip) with its modified 'msoe.dll' in place, and/or, the (5-2018_UpdateReg.zip) with it's 1709+Update.reg merged.
Endeavor I installed the Update_5-2018.zip and now works fine.
Thank you!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win10Prox64, Win8Prox86, Win7Prox64, VistaHomex86
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
..good job Nestor, thank you for letting us know.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
I have a slight glitch. I am on Win 10 Pro 1703 with deferred upgrades, only cumulative allowed. Somehow yesterday I have noticed that Windows Mail disappeared from default apps, and is nowhere to be found under apps. I have manually associated .eml files to be opened with Windows Mail (can only be found under file associations in Control Panel), and I can use WinMail and open .eml files there. However if any .eml is located outside WinMail's folders, by clicking on it, it opens WinMail, not the email file itself.

I haven't tampered with WinMail recently, have only implemented abovementioned update to make Advanced tab visible.

Is there any workaround? Thanks your early replies.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
Hello Haunted,

Understand that Any update can remove all or portions of WinMail assets and its operation.
I have it set never to accept updates, and only turn it on when I want it. You are just asking for WinMail assaults if you don't.

After an update and things are not working right, just run the basic tutorial again, it's designed when you run it again not to affect any of your personal settings.

However since I had just setup v1803 the other day on the test bench I just swiveled over to it and booted her up, and then clicked on an .eml file to see what it would do... What happened to me just now, reminded me to tell you that on the Tutorial go to Post 2 you have the last Spoiler button on that page showing you a Screenshot of how to set Windows Mail as the default email client, go look at it and do that okay - I just had to do that myself too.
Also then when I just clicked an .eml file elsewhere, it prompted me this GUI ..and so and I took a screenshot of it for you:
associate.jpg

...and I had to highlight Windows Mail and check the box myself too, and click Okay, and then the .eml file opened where and like you wanted.

If none of these options are available to you, then the update you did just wiped some things out, and so I'd suggest you simply run the Tutorial again (or 'if' no files were deleted, then at least merge all the registry files and reboot to get that back in order)
However note, if you haven't run the tutorial in a while though, you may want to, in order to pick up on the bug fix release we have had recently!

Edit:
I see you are on v1703 and so except for the screenshot those Post 2 downloads won't apply to you... hmmm, well iirc, it was v1703 b16193 that was the last working WinMail before the big Features Removed/Depreciated happened and caused us to have to expand to Post #2 for the newer builds ..and so your Setup, I believe, is still just on Post 1 ..but fwiw that still had a bug fix update too.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Hello Endeavor and thanks for your reply. Somehow I managed to set Windows Mail as default in Apps, it is also visible there.

But still any email that is stored outside WinMail's default storage folder, cannot be opened. Clicking on it opens Windows Mail, but not email file itself.

I even did all the updates for 1709 version from Ogri's tutorial (except merging those 1709 reg files, I merged WinMailEdit.reg from this site), but nothing changed.

Any solution?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
Sorry for troubling.

This:
Control panel, Default programs, Set default programs, click on Windows Mail, Choose defaults for this program.

Solved the problem. Thanks for attention.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
Your welcome, and glad you got it going...

I was editing my last post while you were posting your messages

Why would you use 1709 stuff when it did not apply to you! ..but I am not here to figure out what you did from ogri's site with all those extra files, etc,

Everything, you need is in this tutorial :) ..and lately has been updated/tested almost daily! ..check it out!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
It would still be nice if someone could come with a solution for emptying deleted messages on exit.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10
    Computer type
    Laptop
It would still be nice if someone could come with a solution for emptying deleted messages on exit.

Now it's a little disappointing to me because you are not paying attention, or reading, or listening ;)
(also, please go back and read my edit in the previous post #432 where I mentioned some things related to your version)

Anyway this Empty On Exit issue you mention above, and all issues under that Advanced tab, and Maintenance tab, has already been fixed! ...and so go back and read and pay attention to the tutorial this time, and update your WinMail properly! :cool:
See Step 8 on Post 1 for your v1703

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP