How to reinstate WinMail onto Windows 8/10/11

Using all attachments and instructions on post 1+2 tutorial I installed Windows Mail in two computers A and B with Windows 10 pro 1709.
In A winmail is working properly. In B Tools/Accounts does not open (see attached).
What can I do?
WM accounts.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win10Prox64, Win8Prox86, Win7Prox64, VistaHomex86
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Hello Nestor,

It's good that you have one computer working. As to your second one not opening the 'Accounts' listing ..well that's a first and I've never seen that one before. Nestor it's going to come down to one little particular thing that was not done correctly. This will be the case with most everyone that has had problems. The only answer (with WinMail closed) can be is to delete 'in its entirety' the Programs folder Windows Mail, and unzip the correct one into its place. Remember here in all cases with zip files, when you extract make sure you don't end of with a nested folder which means two folders for instance: WinMail/WinMail. If that happens cut the second one and paste it over the first leaving just /WinMail. Paths Matter! (Nestor that's not likely your problem here but for everyone in general, and especially for the Backup/Restore procedure I can't stress how much that exact ''Paths Matter!'') Also of course merge the reg(s) that pertain to your version; certainly do not merge the second v1709 reg if you are on an earlier version. Nestor I am saying all this in general because it applies to everyone. For you Nestor just make sure you are using the, correct, full program folder attached to post 1 (iow, no mix and matching files with your own or wherever, and reg)
Do the procedure again is all I can tell you.

Everyone, make sure you have your WinMail set as the Default client as pointed out in the tutorial screenshot (which just happens to be the last spoiler screenshot on post #2)

Especially on a new fresh install, if done correctly, WinMail will work every time!
For those with an upgraded version (although I've done it successfully dozens of times) ..but for others setups that have previously installed different email clients, etc, etc, and upgrade, and have previously used another email clients import button, all this it's impossible to know all the different scenarios that 'may' interfere.
I Can Say Emphatically, that on a fresh install, reinstating WinMail will work every-time. Also for a properly created, saved, and restored Backup Procedure, it will restore properly every-time, and you will never have to setup your WinMail client options or lose your previously emails (even if you have complex folder structures) ever!

@ dannywong, that F:\ path you show probably came from a USB stick you had saved your files on, which when you plug them in always pick up a drive letter down stream, and somehow you pointed to that and it set. That's why for the Backup/Restore feature I always recommend you zip (or rar) your backups, and when time to use them, after deleting old folder, extract the new one in its place but don't make or end up with a nested folder when extracting! fix it before proceeding.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10/Win11 (x86/x64)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live
Thank you endeavor,

I deleted in its entirety the Programs folder Windows Mail, and unzipped the correct one into its place, but this did not solved the problem.
WinMail is the Default client.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
PS
btw, what I always did before, and actually still do even in v1709 to turn Windows Update off, is use within this article on how to Turn Off Windows Update in Services .... I use this particular Option2 item4 reg to stop it from updating version forward. I also make sure in Services that Windows Update is set to Disabled. I decide when I want my OS's to upgrade!

Hello again Endeavor. I know what a zip or rar file is. I am just not familiar with the "reg" thing. Anyway, now that the problem is solved, what you provided in PS was very useful! Now I know the proper way to prevent Windows from upgrading itself. I guess I won't have to see the annoying pop ups that remind me to update my computer from time to time. Thanks again!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10 1903/1909
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Spectre, Huawei
@ Nestor
Details matter, I say that because in your post above you didn't mention doing over again steps 1-7 and step 8 for v1709, again. I assume you did? ...but one should not assume anything since it's not working right. I was saying start over and do each step again on post 1+2

fwiw, for you Nestor I did another fresh install of 1709 again moments ago, just to see if I could reproduce what you are saying - but I cannot sorry, and re-instating 1709 WinMail works fine in these areas no matter what I do.
Here is a Screenshot of a first WM Open and going to the Accounts listing and clicking it:
VirginInstall-SetupWinMail-ClickAccounts.Screenshot.jpg

I don't know what else I can do for you Nestor? ..it has to be something simple though!

@ Danny
From your post I will say that at some point you may have to upgrade v1709, sooner or later.

Anyway, I can hardly believe you did the Backup/Restore procedure but you did not know how to export your previous working registry Windows Mail folder key, and so you just skipped over doing it? ...please answer yes or no?
You must do it. However if you don't know how to open regedit then we might as well stop right here, I don't want you to break something on my account.
..btw, fwiw, having said that, on the very bottom left of your Desktop screen, you right click the MS Start Orb> you then click 'run' and you type in:
regedit
..and click OK. Up comes the Registry Editor, and navigate yourself down to the Windows Mail folder key - in the screenshot below I just made for you I circled along the way how to get there to make it easy. You then right click on the Windows Mail folder key, click Export, and save it to your Desktop ..you can name it danny or whatever; don't click or do anything else when you have your registry editor open! Note, now of course you export this key on your ''current working WinMail client that's already setup' ...and this is the .reg file that when you are Restoring, and replace your message store folder, you also merge this .reg too. I explained all the reasons why many times already and in the tutorial. (also know besides this key containing all you WM GUI settings, etc, it also contains the default path for your message store folder already!)

regedit-export-Windows Mail-folderkey...jpg

I don't know what else I can do, I've maybe even overdone helping already but I'm just trying to help you guys get it going. It's up to you now but please do keep us informed, and good luck, and skill.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Sorry, I omitted tou say that I did each step again on post 1+2.
Anyway thank very much!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I did not know how to export registry key. I just did every step according to your post 1 & 2, which I don't think mentioned exporting any registry? Thanks for your detailed instruction and now I know. So in the future when I restore winmail in a V1709 system, I will do all the steps 1 to 8, then merge the reg. key that I export from the ''current working WinMail client that's already setup", and put the C:\Users\yourcomputername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail folder copied from current system into the new system. Then it's done. Am I correct?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10 1903/1909
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Spectre, Huawei
...which I don't think mentioned exporting any registry?
:cry: . . :sarc:
Come on Danny! I can't believe you said that?
Go back to post #1 and right under where is says:

Advanced users can skip this Information section if you've read its 'Notes:'
You see a Spoiler button under there right? Click it!

Did you think you were an Advanced user and could skip all of that? :tongue:

I just tried IE, Chrome, and FireFox and I can see it.
I don't think I could have been any more thorough honestly.

Please let me know if your browser can see and open that Spoiler button please?

..days later edit, I've now changed that advanced user heading

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
Using all attachments and instructions on post 1+2 tutorial I installed Windows Mail in two computers A and B with Windows 10 pro 1709.
In A winmail is working properly. In B Tools/Accounts does not open (see attached).
What can I do?
View attachment 70579
I have the same problem of no Account menu after an upgrade to 1709 last night. The accounts were "imported", without passwords, so I can use it by filling in the password but can't add or change accounts. I am going to go through all the steps again to see if I somehow missed something.
Don

Update: Redid steps 1-8 with no luck. Rules from saved reg entry and settings transferred in fine, but still no account menu. Almost like a .dll file is missing. It also seems that the newsgroups is gone too, but I don't use them, just checking to see what else is lost.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10
I have the same problem of no Account menu after an upgrade to 1709 last night. The accounts were "imported", without passwords, so I can use it by filling in the password but can't add or change accounts. I am going to go through all the steps again to see if I somehow missed something.
Don

Update: Redid steps 1-8 with no luck. Rules from saved reg entry and settings transferred in fine, but still no account menu. Almost like a .dll file is missing. It also seems that the newsgroups is gone too, but I don't use them, just checking to see what else is lost.

Possible issue. In the additional step for 1709 users, the zipped file contains a folder and two files. The two files seem like they are supposed to be copied to the system32 folder, but what about the file inside the en-US folder (acctres.dll.mui). I tried copying it to the en-US folder under system32 and the menu items in the tool menu completely disappeared. So it seems this file might be the key.

Thanks
Don

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10
Possible issue. In the additional step for 1709 users, the zipped file contains a folder and two files. The two files seem like they are supposed to be copied to the system32 folder, but what about the file inside the en-US folder. I tried copying it to the en-US folder under system32 and the menu items in the tool menu completely disappeared. So it seems this file might be the key.

Thanks
Don

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10
Another possibility might be the path taken to 1709 (via win 7, win 8, fresh install etc.). It could be that a file was only available on one of the paths and is missing on others.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10
Solved. Putting the acctres.dll.mui into the System32/en-US folder seems to have done the trick (although I put files in other places so can't be 100% certain). It took more time to troubleshoot than expected because a reboot was required. Newsgroups still not working, but since I don't use them, i don't care. Bonus is that number of shutdowns between cleanups appears to work.

Sysinternals Process Explorer helped in troubleshooting enabling me to compare the files registered on the 1709 PC to a working copy on an earlier win 10 build.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10
Solved. Putting the acctres.dll.mui into the System32/en-US folder seems to have done the trick (although I put files in other places so can't be 100% certain). It took more time to troubleshoot than expected because a reboot was required. Newsgroups still not working, but since I don't use them, i don't care. Bonus is that number of shutdowns between cleanups appears to work.

Sysinternals Process Explorer helped in troubleshooting enabling me to compare the files registered on the 1709 PC to a working copy on an earlier win 10 build.

Unfortunately the acctres.dll.mui is already into the System32/en-US folder but the problem was not solved.

Update: Solved actually after a reboot. Thanks Don!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Hello BridgeHead,

The accounts were "imported",
Do you mean the actual import button?? I've never even used that feature I guess and did not think it even worked, actually it does not seem to work so I am not sure what you mean? I've always exclusively used the backup method I pointed out on post 1, and it will duplicate Identically all standard email folder structures Including Newsgroups and ever post that each contains that you had on the source, identically as is. You see in that backup/restore process explains that you Delete the current Windows Mail message store folder, and copy your last working one in its place, doing it this way is foolproof, and I would not do it any other way. ymmv.
I have a Lot of newsgroups in WinMail and to me it is critically important. Also afterwards if necessary, I can add or remove accounts at will, no problem.

In the additional step for 1709 users, the zipped file contains a folder and two files. The two files seem like they are supposed to be copied to the system32 folder, but what about the file inside the en-US folder (acctres.dll.mui).
I thought it was pretty clear and self explanatory (but since two of you did the same thing? perhaps I need to add a line explaining) You simply unzip it, and copy just as it is the three items given... msoeacct.dll, ACCTRES.dll, en-US ...to the System 32 folder.
Am I not understanding something please?

Solved. Putting the acctres.dll.mui into the System32/en-US folder seems to have done the trick
..but that is where it suppose to be! ..as mentioned copy the zips contents to the system 32 folder.

I will think on some wording, and type something on post 2 to give that clarity.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
A change in the wording would help. SInce there is a file "hidden" inside the en-US folder. Instead of '"you'll now need to copy these extra x86 (or) x64 files attached below to the System32 folder", maybe, "you'll now need to copy these extra x86 (or) x64 files attached below to the System32 folder -- two files to the Systems32 folder and one file to the Systems32/en-US folder."

Thanks for keeping Windows Mail alive.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10
A change in the wording would help. SInce there is a file "hidden" inside the en-US folder. Instead of '"you'll now need to copy these extra x86 (or) x64 files attached below to the System32 folder", maybe, "you'll now need to copy these extra x86 (or) x64 files attached below to the System32 folder -- two files to the Systems32 folder and one file to the Systems32/en-US folder."

Thanks for keeping Windows Mail alive.
Hello BridgeHead,

Do you mean the actual import button?? I've never even used that feature I guess and did not think it even worked, actually it does not seem to work so I am not sure what you mean? I've always exclusively used the backup method I pointed out on post 1, and it will duplicate Identically all standard email folder structures Including Newsgroups and ever post that each contains that you had on the source, identically as is. You see in that backup/restore process explains that you Delete the current Windows Mail message store folder, and copy your last working one in its place, doing it this way is foolproof, and I would not do it any other way. ymmv.
I have a Lot of newsgroups in WinMail and to me it is critically important. Also afterwards if necessary, I can add or remove accounts at will, no problem.
Sorry, by "import", I meant the system recognizing the existing email accounts that were in the previous build. In the past, I believe all the accounts have all come in with passwords set. This is the first time I remember that I've had to resupply passwords, even though in looking at the account, a password is in there. Maybe it is a security "feature" that the passwords need to verified.
The rules coming over from a registry backup worked fine with no changes required.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10
Endeavor,
I successfully got WinMail installed on my one PC with Windows 10, v1709 with one exception being that now when it Starts I get the Splash Screen plus it's asking for Email Address & Passwords for each account as I check them.
I seem to remember way back that someone provided me instructions on doing away with them but I've forgot nor find my notes on it;
1--Splash Screen,
2--Stopping it from asking for Email Address & password as I check each or all accounts.

Thanks for your continuous effort in helping us keeping WinMail alive with your Tutorials and any follow-up questions. You've provided a very good service to use for years now with keeping WinMail alive & I for one really appreciate it..........................Bill

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows XP/VISTA/7/10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP/Toshiba
    Browser
    IE11/FireFox/Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG
Endeavor,
I successfully got WinMail installed on my one PC with Windows 10, v1709 with one exception being that now when it Starts I get the Splash Screen plus it's asking for Email Address & Passwords for each account as I check them.
I seem to remember way back that someone provided me instructions on doing away with them but I've forgot nor find my notes on it;
1--Splash Screen,
2--Stopping it from asking for Email Address & password as I check each or all accounts.

Thanks for your continuous effort in helping us keeping WinMail alive with your Tutorials and any follow-up questions. You've provided a very good service to use for years now with keeping WinMail alive & I for one really appreciate it..........................Bill
Bill,
Having just gone through the upgrade, I can tell you I had the same issue. But if you check the box to save the password, it should only ask you one time for each account (or twice if you have different credentials for sending and receiving email).
Don

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 10
Think this got the Login issue resolved, thanks a heap..............Bill

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows XP/VISTA/7/10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop