How to download the Windows 8.1 ISO

If you have the folder, the WinRE.wim is size.

you know homes you make no sense with your short hand,

OK so what "is size" and what is this folder and the file even used for?

I mean I don't see it being used as any recovery as far as I can tell, if it was I wouldn't need to make my own.

and what command/program can be used to open the thing up? I have a small program that supposedly gives you the rights but it doesn't seem to work now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1up1 Pro x64 w/media center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon 7690M XT (6770m) /Intel 3000
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Hitichi 750g 5400 rpm Laptop
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite
Hi theog,just posted in another thread I think about my success on the whole win 8.1 ISO and clean install thing. Not sure if it was you who started it but it was a perfect clean install for me on a 4 year old laptop then a nice tiny tweaked up image after. I didn't try the image thru windows, I use acronis and after joining here tried out macrium with success as well.

If so thanks dude :thumb:

Ken

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Memory
    Lost it long ago

double post

Typo "in side"

Unhide OS files.

Unhide.PNG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4

double post

Typo "in side"

Unhide OS files.

View attachment 30486

way past that one homes, If I said I have the folder I guess you can assume I have it "un hidden" I need to know the program or command you used to actually "look" in the folder. I keep getting the "access denied", no matter how many times i try to re set the security on the folder.

And like I asked, just what is this recovery folder used for anyway, and when would it even come into play?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite
OK so I found what that thing is, its actually the thing you use when doing a problem type thing, not an Image restore. so yeah I see why its there, groan, its what you boot into to fix problems. and IS part of the system. man............. But I'm still looking for a way to break into it so I can see the actual file. Hell maybe there's a way to use it as WinPE. on a separate disk.

Windows Recovery Environment (RE) Explained | sepago

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite
OK so I found what that thing is, its actually the thing you use when doing a problem type thing, not an Image restore. so yeah I see why its there, groan, its what you boot into to fix problems. and IS part of the system. man............. But I'm still looking for a way to break into it so I can see the actual file. Hell maybe there's a way to use it as WinPE. on a separate disk.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5132-recovery-drive-create-usb-flash-drive-windows-8-a.html

Windows 8 only.
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2855-system-repair-disc-create-windows-8-a.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5132-recovery-drive-create-usb-flash-drive-windows-8-a.html

Windows 8 only.
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2855-system-repair-disc-create-windows-8-a.html

already have all that homes.......... USB/w8 repair disk/and full image backup

and the way to get to it. TeraByte Unlimited Knowledge Base

I just wasn't aware of the file "name" of the usual boot to fix windows problems or recover from an image you made through system image backup is all.

all I'm lookin for now is how to remove the "access denied". to look inside that folder and see what the size is and if I can copy it to disk.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite
If all else fails, booting a Linux live CD/DVD/Flash drive will allow you to see what's in it and copy it somewhere.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP h2207
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050@59Hz
    Hard Drives
    250GB Samsung EVO SATA-3 SSD;
    2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 SATA-2;
    1.5TB Seagate ST3150041AS SATA
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Wired USB
    Mouse
    Wired USB
    Internet Speed
    3GB Up, 30GB Down
    Browser
    SeaMonkey
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender; MBAM Pro
    Other Info
    UEFI/GPT
    PLDS DVD-RW DH16AERSH
If all else fails, booting a Linux live CD/DVD/Flash drive will allow you to see what's in it and copy it somewhere.

never mind, I just copied the folder to a temp folder and it was viewable.

its got 3 files, a 3mg file named boot.sdi, a small file named REAgent.xml, and the big WinRE.wim @ 386mg

I'm just wondering if I copied it to DVD if it would boot lol. I'll try it later.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite

its got 3 files, a 3mg file named boot.sdi, a small file named REAgent.xml, and the big WinRE.wim @ 386mg

I'm just wondering if I copied it to DVD if it would boot lol. I'll try it later.

NO will not boot, NO boot.wim.

To use 8.1 WinRE.wim:

Windows 8 only.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4

NO will not boot, NO boot.wim.

To use 8.1 WinRE.wim:

Windows 8 only.

lol duh OKyyy lol, I see where its a compressed file, I started to decompress it with WinRAR but just stopped as it was BIG and all kinds of folders in there. anyway, like i said I'm just "experimenting"

I have all what I need, and do know what to do with it , smirks lol

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite
First off, we tried the trick to download an 8.1 ISO, but it doesn't work for us, because all our W8 machines came with it preinstalled and apparently you need a retail (non-preinstalled) key for this to work. Also, I don't see why I should have to waste ten times the time and bandwidth to upgrade ten different machines; in addition, I'm partially responsible for some machines that, due to contractual restrictions, can never be allowed on the public Internet for any reason. (These contracts were written long before anyone ever heard of a VPN.) If we can't find a way to download these files without the having the downloading computer immediately proceed to install and then trash them, then these other machines will never get upgraded - in which case we might not bother to upgrade any of our machines, just to avoid even more OS inconsistency than we already have in our shop.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how we can proceed under these restrictions?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Not unless you hunt around for copy in the usual places.

Otherwise, I suppose you could just buy one retail 8.1 copy and use the install media on all your machines, the 8.0 key on each machine should work fine.

Bit annoying having to buy it as you aren't going to use the 8.1 product key.

Or if you know somebody who has already bought 8.1 retail ( they must be hard to find ), just get a copy of their installation iso/dvd/usb.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I have a question which hopefully some of you may have experience with regarding the 8.1 upgrade.
My Win 8 is a clean install where the OS is on its own SSD, and user data is on a separate HD. A pretty common scenario, in fact the most useful information I got on this topic was from EightForum users! I discovered that following the traditional upgrade proceedures (installing Windows8, upgrading security fixes and whatnot making the 8.1 upgrade available at the Store, then upgrading to 8.1) returns the very friendly "It looks like your User Data is on a separate partition than your Windows installation... therefore making the upgrade impossible ("Not Supported" by Microsoft. wtf MS??). Anyway, my question is, has anyone tried the method currently being dicussed on this forum (obtain 8.1 iso, use generic key to initiate install, then use your valid 8 key to validate 8.1) with your User data on a separate partition/or drive? Any success cases?

I also have my Data on a different drive and I had no problems with the update. You must have moved the "My" folders (such as My Music) from the C drive to another drive. Maybe if you added some empty "My" folders back on the C drive , it may work. Just my guess. Good luck.

Thanks Undine, I'll try to create a few folders on C:\ to represent my User data. I'm a bit curious, when you say you updated successfully to 8.1 with your user data on another drive, how is your user data set up? Did you instruct Win8 to locate your user data during an install (i.e. audit mode), or did you link the data after 8 was already installed? I have found a lot of rants in forums because of this decision by MS to not allow upgrade to users who have altered the data location in Win8. I'll try your suggestion, never really thought of that, but pretty sound advice. Thanks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    SuSE 12.2, Windows7, Windows8
First off, we tried the trick to download an 8.1 ISO, but it doesn't work for us, because all our W8 machines came with it preinstalled and apparently you need a retail (non-preinstalled) key for this to work. Also, I don't see why I should have to waste ten times the time and bandwidth to upgrade ten different machines; in addition, I'm partially responsible for some machines that, due to contractual restrictions, can never be allowed on the public Internet for any reason. (These contracts were written long before anyone ever heard of a VPN.) If we can't find a way to download these files without the having the downloading computer immediately proceed to install and then trash them, then these other machines will never get upgraded - in which case we might not bother to upgrade any of our machines, just to avoid even more OS inconsistency than we already have in our shop.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how we can proceed under these restrictions?

Have a look at this. Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 8.1 Back-up Media - (Media Only)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
I have a question which hopefully some of you may have experience with regarding the 8.1 upgrade.
My Win 8 is a clean install where the OS is on its own SSD, and user data is on a separate HD. A pretty common scenario, in fact the most useful information I got on this topic was from EightForum users! I discovered that following the traditional upgrade proceedures (installing Windows8, upgrading security fixes and whatnot making the 8.1 upgrade available at the Store, then upgrading to 8.1) returns the very friendly "It looks like your User Data is on a separate partition than your Windows installation... therefore making the upgrade impossible ("Not Supported" by Microsoft. wtf MS??). Anyway, my question is, has anyone tried the method currently being dicussed on this forum (obtain 8.1 iso, use generic key to initiate install, then use your valid 8 key to validate 8.1) with your User data on a separate partition/or drive? Any success cases?

I also have my Data on a different drive and I had no problems with the update. You must have moved the "My" folders (such as My Music) from the C drive to another drive. Maybe if you added some empty "My" folders back on the C drive , it may work. Just my guess. Good luck.

Thanks Undine, I'll try to create a few folders on C:\ to represent my User data. I'm a bit curious, when you say you updated successfully to 8.1 with your user data on another drive, how is your user data set up? Did you instruct Win8 to locate your user data during an install (i.e. audit mode), or did you link the data after 8 was already installed? I have found a lot of rants in forums because of this decision by MS to not allow upgrade to users who have altered the data location in Win8. I'll try your suggestion, never really thought of that, but pretty sound advice. Thanks!

I have my user folders like Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, etc on another partition. I used the Location tab on each folder to point Windows to them. I had no problems updating to the Preview of 8.1 though the Store with this setup. I move them (change the location) after Windows is installed. The people that are having issues are the ones that moved their entire user profile to another partition. I only moved my user folders. People that have done this are having the issue. http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4275-user-profiles-relocate-another-partition-disk.html?ltr=U

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
wtf, I just have music,photo,video,etc. folders on my d drive which I use. I just don't use the "My' folders on the C drive. Good luck.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8 64
@naikniket

even Microsoft Bangalore failed to help me on that; they confirmed my product key is okay; but when I sent the setuperr.log file to them which fails on conx, they indicated that the Microsoft server is probably blocked by ISP (it was a crap explanation);

so I finally got the iso from net; try google murphy71 and you will get it

best of luck
neelakantan

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 Pro (WMC) originally; updated to 8.1 prowmc through store
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G570
Back