Five reasons I'd rather run Windows 8 than Linux

linux-vs-windows.jpg
Many of us use Linux every day. Thankfully, most of the people using Linux don't know they're using Linux.

My octogenarian parents, for example, have been using their TiVo DVRs for years, but have no idea that there's a variant of Linux running deep inside. The guy who installed my kitchen cabinets, who loves his Android phone but insists Facebook is hard to use has no idea he's using a variant of Linux....

Reason #1: As soon as you mention one distro, all the fanboys go insane claiming you've made the wrong choice.
You did it, didn't you? Just as soon as I mentioned Mint, a whole bunch of you started to foam at the mouth. Mint's not the distro-du-jour anymore. There's Bodhi. There's Xubuntu. There's the truly unfortunately named DouDou.
Read more at: Five reasons I'd rather run Windows 8 than Linux | ZDNet

Last edited by a moderator:
... Many things are easier in Linux than in Windows and there are the reverse cases of course too.

We all hang on to windows because that is our home and we got used to the myriad of programs that we know and make our life easier. But that does not mean that similar equivalent programs are not available in Linux. We are probably just too comfy in our current role.

Easier ? Depends on how you define easier. I always got the impression, what the hey, it's free, so ...
I have the day off so I'll do a Sheldon Cooper and install a Laynux Partition :geek:.

I don't see how clinging to setup.exe constitutes a comfy state. That seems easier to me.
In fact, there is not a global alternative option for programs or drivers that are compatible with Linux.
Most software vendors are not going to make their products compatible with Linux.

As for this end user, I peruse the massive list of FREE Linux applications included.
100% of them are unwanted. No Mozilla, Konqueror, Open Office, Crypto Imaging, XYZ Tools,
Gimp - what's that?

And for iconography, I am unimpressed with tiny untexted pictograms that are supposed to be identified.

View attachment 42222

... We all hang on to windows because that is our home and we got used to the myriad of programs that we know and make our life easier. But that does not mean that similar equivalent programs are not available in Linux. We are probably just too comfy in our current role.

Interesting. I think Apple fans would dispute all.

the myriad of programs that we know and make our life easier
ok. I am a fan of InstallShield.

Too comfy? So we should be less comfy? Unless the Laynux distro is embedded, as in a phone or tablet,
it's possible the only true imperative for its use is the FREE label.
Of course Linux fans will always cling to the IQ level needed as a badge of honor.

I like GParted.

I don't think it is worth answering to that (my education prohibits me to spell out the word). You continue doing your thing and I do mine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
I don't see how clinging to setup.exe constitutes a comfy state. That seems easier to me.
I think the "easier" part comes from the fact that with apt-get or yum you can easily add things, and any of their dependencies. For example, if you want a mysql server, you run, yum install mysql-server. Doesn't get much easier than that. With windows, you have to Google for mysql, download it, and then run the installer. Certainly not rocket science by any means, but a few more manual steps.

As for this end user, I peruse the massive list of FREE Linux applications included.
100% of them are unwanted. No Mozilla, Konqueror, Open Office, Crypto Imaging, XYZ Tools,
Gimp - what's that?
What's GIMP? A no cost alternative that is nearly as functional as Photoshop, but without the substantial cost. I honestly use Paint.NET on my Windows boxes to do my photo editing tasks as I cannot justify the cost of the Adobe products, nor do I have the artistic skill set to make use of the feature set anyway.

Interesting. I think Apple fans would dispute all.

I'm a newly initiated Apple user. After using Windows and Linux for many years, I decided to try out a MacBook Pro to see what all the fuss was about. Since I understand what "hype" is, I dispelled with all of the goofy stuff like "it never breaks", right at the get go. Thus far I'm pretty impressed with this device. It's fast, it's battery lasts a long time, the screen looks great, it comes out of sleep nearly instantly, and it provided me with a new learning experience....not to mention I get a Unix/Linux like command prompt for working under the hood when I want to. I don't really have any concerns about viruses and malware while on this device. It's certainly not without it's faults, and I'm not ready to abandon Windows and move completely to an Apple environment...but it's been a pleasant journey thus far. I guess I just like being out of my comfort zone. I considered getting a new Windows 8 laptop, but at the end of the day, it would have just been another computer, like my wife's computer, my kids computer, my work computer, and all of the work computers that I support...and it just seemed drab and boring. Really wanted something different.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I think the "easier" part comes from the fact that with apt-get or yum you can easily add things, and any of their dependencies. For example, if you want a mysql server, you run, yum install mysql-server. Doesn't get much easier than that. With windows, you have to Google for mysql, download it, and then run the installer. Certainly not rocket science by any means, but a few more manual steps.

cool. But still off topic.

Words like apt-get or yum are alien. Then you add in dependencies, terminal, sudo, packages, oh oh!

The article makes the thread topic quite plain.
Five reasons I'd rather run Windows 8 than Linux | ZDNet

In order to run a Microsoft database in Linux requires an emulator or other complex scenario.
It all gets complicated. I have always had the view that Windows is a vulnerable computing tool
so I would never define it as others have as a perfect system. (Windows 7)

In terms of cost, it is frightening how much leverage Microsoft has on CALS.
Even at Newegg, there are Server product structures that exceed $10,000
And of course, there are Server farms into the millions.

As far as Gimp goes, I was deflecting. There are dozens of free oddly named tools available.
I don't need or want them. Free products are available across all platforms.
I prefer setup.exe to the synaptic package manager.

But again, on topic, I find the author's point of view to be accurate. thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
Patrick, you are a very kind person responding to those unqualified comments. I did not think it was worth my time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Welcome to the Windows 8 Forums.
Specifically from the thread topic and article.

Reason #1: As soon as you mention one distro,
all the fanboys go insane claiming you've made the wrong choice.

Reason #2: For all of us who have lives, there's Windows.
Reason #3: The aggressively nutball Linux community.
Reason #4: Linux doesn't run many serious production applications
Reason #5: Windows is just nicer

[video=youtube;QAC39aXl1Ao]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAC39aXl1Ao[/video]

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
Words like apt-get or yum are alien.
Perhaps to a complete newbie. But if I say type, "yum install mysql-server", and you all of a sudden have an installed mysql-server, that's pretty sweet and all completed in exactly 1 step. On the flip side, you could more easily open explorer, navigate to Google, type in the URL, download the software, go to C:\users\downloads, double click on the .exe, click on Next, Next, Next, Next, Next, finish. As a Windows user, have you ever had to click on Start, Run and then type anything at all...like say msconfig, or %appdata%, or iexplore.exe?

Then you add in dependencies,
Haven't you ever installed a piece of software in Windows that required the .NET Framework? I think most people have experienced having to install 1 piece of software that had a prerequisite on another piece of software. With Windows, you get to manually go out and find the required dependency. With apt-get or yum install, it happens automatically, without you even having to know what the dependencies are.

terminal,
Start, run, cmd. Familiar at all with PowerShell? Any Windows enthusiast would have extensive experience with either of these. If you are using the Windows GUI to complete every and all tasks, you are really shorting yourself from being able to more effiiciently and effectively complete tasks.

UAC????? Most Windows users are quite familiar with these popups, and for those who have used LUA in the past (child account/family safety) are quite familiar with getting prompted for an admin account and a password.

packages,
You say setup.exe, I say packages. Not rocket science.

In terms of cost, it is frightening how much leverage Microsoft has on CALS.
Even at Newegg, there are Server product structures that exceed $10,000
And of course, there are Server farms into the millions.
Absolutely true, Microsoft products can be outrageously expensive, especially when compared to some of the industry standard linux equivalents. Most ISP's don't run Windows based DHCP servers, DNS servers, mail servers, etc.

At my company, we use some MS products, but we don't use them extensively. It's imperative for an IT techie to have experience outside of the Microsoft realm in order to know what else is available out there and be able to install and support it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Reason #1: As soon as you mention one distro,
all the fanboys go insane claiming you've made the wrong choice.
Use the right tool for the job. No one distro is the right choice for all tasks. Use what works for you.

Reason #2: For all of us who have lives, there's Windows.
And some would argue, if you want even easier yet, just use Apple.

Reason #3: The aggressively nutball Linux community.
Yes, there are many passionate people out there. However, when you are supporting a piece of software and find the lead programmer in the forums talking with you, it's awesome compared to calling Microsoft and paying out the ass for a per incident problem and talking to god knows who was assigned to your case.

Reason #4: Linux doesn't run many serious production applications
It's sad to not see people using more of the desktop linux apps. But many people will simply PIRATE the Adboe products. I wonder how many would actually pony up the money to pay for these products that they love so much. Because at the server level, the industry standard is a Linux app. For internet email, it's sendmail. For DNS, it's BIND. For web servers, it's Apache and Tomcat. For the overwhelming number of blogs and forums, it's a mysql backend. If it's a DHCP server from your ISP, it sure isn't running on Windows. Probably not going to find a lot of production FTP servers running IIS. Some of the smaller websites on the net, like Netflix, Facebook, and WordPress use nginx... and it's not on Windows servers.

Reason #5: Windows is just nicer
Yes, because not having media to reinstall your OS is awesome. And having to input a 25 digit code to install is sweet. Having to call the 1-800 number to activate your software again is fun, especially when you get to input the long 9 section installing ID. Having to constantly run an AV and malware suite is everyone's idea of a fun Friday night. It's not all sunshine and rainbows.

At the end of the day, I'm a Windows desktop user. I support Windows boxes at work, I have Windows boxes at home. For gaming, it's really only on a Windows box. But I can see both sides of the story, I can see the high costs of Windows, and a I also have worked my entire professional life for software development companies and because of this, I don't believe in pirating of software. If a free open source alternative is not available, but a commercial app exists that I truly feel does the job better, I pay for it. I paid for 3 copies of Start 8 for my home computers. I paid for a 3 pack of Paragon Backup and Restore for my Windows 8 boxes at home. All of my copies of Windows are 100% legit.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Is there any chance to stay on topic?
I am not really interested in the Linux Operating System.
I think this is the Windows 8 Forums.

1) Anyway, once there was a next and then there was a finish.
2) Linux dependencies could require a dozen addons.
3) The video says it all for me, "real men use the command line" ha, ha.
4) Don't care about PowerShell.
5) I don't even care what SUDO means.
6) Package issues are addressed in the article.
7) I am currently a member of the Windows 8 Forum. Don't care about distro discussions.
8) After spending about $5000 on tech education in the 1990's, I quit. Too expensive to keep up.
9) I achieved MCSE, MCP, A+, NET+, BSCS and wrote programs in Pascal, Assembly, COBOL, RPG, C, and BASIC.
10) I discovered the more you know, the more you don't know. Life is not a television show.

Personally I would like to talk about Windows 8.
There are other forums for Linux, right? take care.

Perhaps you could respond to the article rather than me. I am not the thread topic!
Best of IT Luck to you!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
Is there any chance to stay on topic?
I am not really interested in the Linux Operating System.
I think this is the Windows 8 Forums.
But it's a thread discussing Windows and Linux. So, obviously there is going to be banter here about Linux. If you only want to hear about Windows 8, there are plenty of other threads.

4) Don't care about PowerShell.
You should. Do you realize that many of the server products are scaling back the GUIs and making Powershell management a requirement? Many things that you "used' to be able to do in Exchange server GUI, have been eliminated. It's all done via powershell these days.

4Don't care about distro discussions.
Quite odd, since you are posting in this thread. I think a proper discussion of anything requires a discussion of alternatives, and pros and cons. Thus, Apple and Linux will and should come up in a Windows forum. If it doesn't, it's like sticking your head in the sand and pretending it doesn't exist.

8) After spending about $5000 on tech education in the 1990's, I quit. Too expensive to keep up.
Yeah, many of my certs stopped after I had kids. It's not only a lack of money, but a lack of quality time.

QUOTE=mdmd;374818]Perhaps you could respond to the article rather than me. I am not the thread topic!
Best of IT Luck to you![/QUOTE] No, you aren't the topic, but you are the one responding at the moment. Thanks for taking the time to respond, it's nice to be able to chat and exchange ideas.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Wow. I thought this thread was closed. Oh well,

Perhaps you could respond to the article rather than me. I am not the thread topic!
Best of IT Luck to you!

No, you aren't the topic, but you are the one responding at the moment. Thanks for taking the time to respond, it's nice to be able to chat and exchange ideas.

I got nervous when my "posted by mdmd" was attributed to the reasons as described by the author.

Sometimes the views unfold without reference to the author of the article.
The author was making the case, not I. My postings were attempting to list 5 reasons I prefer.
My wish going forward would be that views address the article's reasoning, not little old me.

Quite odd, since you are posting in this thread. I think a proper discussion of anything requires a discussion of alternatives, and pros and cons. Thus, Apple and Linux will and should come up in a Windows forum. If it doesn't, it's like sticking your head in the sand and pretending it doesn't exist.

I disagree with this reasoning. Analysis of how Linux works is a cryptic bore fest.
Why not just declare UNIX superior to NT and be done with it.

A proper discussion usually means referring to the original post topic and referenced article.

In any event, it is unnecessary to dismiss people, as described in the article, Linux Geeks tend to be rude.
I will attempt to withdraw and end my participation here before it gets to [DEL]banned[/DEL]
Good Night!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
Thanks for taking the time to respond, it's nice to be able to chat and exchange ideas.

Those taking part most prolifically in threads about platforms already have entrenched views and no amount of exchanging ideas will lead to a change of mind. Many reading the thread will already have their minds made up too. I don't think I've ever seen a case where someone with strong views says, "You are right, I'm going to change platform as soon as possible".

:)

However, maybe a proportion of thread readers could be swayed one way or another because of points and information posted. So a thread about this topic probably serves a purpose in that respect.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Hi there

Reading through this thread I get the opposite sense -- although few people will be prepared to SWITCH platforms completely the consensus seems to be that these days Linux IS far simpler and can do some things really well (and easily) and there is an excellent case for using BOTH systems where convenient - Windows and Linux.

IMO that's the SENSIBLE view -- use the BEST, CHEAPEST and MOST APPROPRIATE TOOLS for the job.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
For me, there was never Windows vs. Linux, it's AND in between. Both of them have pros and cons and have their place. It's just the question of being able to use two or more OSs, or chew gum and......

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Well, you can only use 1 as main os, you can use another for experiments, but using both is like chewing 2 different gums at the same time without mixing it - you can do it, but its useless. And its not just linux fans that tend to be rude, its the human race on the internet in general - if you tell them the truth, and if they dont know it, they tend to rage very hard. Its hard to discuss anything on the internet, because people there act like the best things are things that they use.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 x64
Well, you can only use 1 as main os, you can use another for experiments, but using both is like chewing 2 different gums at the same time without mixing it - you can do it, but its useless. And its not just linux fans that tend to be rude, its the human race on the internet in general - if you tell them the truth, and if they dont know it, they tend to rage very hard. Its hard to discuss anything on the internet, because people there act like the best things are things that they use.

Hi there

I don't follow your logic -- if you were say a builder or an Engineer would you only use ONE tool or would you pick from a set and use the most appropriate for the job.

Same wilh OS'es --of course it's actually quite easy to run concurrent OS'es (ever heard of Virtual Machines ? ) or even run several computers (like picking tools from different toolboxes).

Even if you don't run them at the same time - you can still do one set of things using OS A and then re-boot and do the other set of things using OS B.

Like driving a Car and a 4WD -- use the 4WD off road or for humping supplies to isolated country properties off main roads etc and for shopping, school runs, commuting etc use the standard car.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
But you cannot drive both cars at the same time. And vm's are too slow - it requires ferrari, if you want to run vw golf, but why would i want golf, if i already have ferrari ? And you could do even bigger orgy - you could include some NOTmobile phones, some cloud computing and run every step of your work in a different environment, but whats the point of that ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 x64
Linux Live distros, best thing after sliced bread. I'm using it for troubleshooting and saving files from otherwise unreachable systems. Don't have to install on HDD or bather with dual booting or VMs. Also nice to run on other machines with tools you need, also god for going to "shady places " on internet. Could be run with public networks where you can catch all kinds of nasty stuff or have your computer broken in to.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
I disagree with this reasoning. Analysis of how Linux works is a cryptic bore fest.
I have no issues if Linux isn't your cup of tea and doesn't serve any purpose to you. For many others, it's simply an option...one that they may check out someday. Fortunately, there are some of us who do use and support both platforms and can offer advice and assistance in the event that they want to try something out. Having some skills on how it works can come in handy. For example, I have young kids who can get themselves into quite a bit of trouble surfing the web on a Windows box and installing junk...without any idea of what they are doing. Put them on a Linux box and 99% of these accidental downloads and drive by downloads simply goes away. This is no way means surfing on a Linux box is always superior to using Windows. But in this particular case, it can prove a better option. And with 0 license costs or install restrictions, i've got nothing to lose but a little time. And with so many distros available, you can bail on one and move to the next when you cannot get something to work. Again, it's options.

Why not just declare UNIX superior to NT and be done with it.
Because that's a very silly argument. One that I would never make, and don't make. Use the right tool for the job, I've said it numerous times.

I'm on a Windows 8 forum because I use and support Windows 8. In the areas I have it installed, it's working very well. Sure, i've made a few simple changes to make it suit the way that I work. I don't use the new UI apps at all, my start screen almost never appears, I don't use the Charms bar unless utterly necessary...but that's all fine because those are options which are available.

However, I also have a MacBook pro that is my most recent purchase. About 6 weeks old at this point. There are some really nice things that I like on this platform that the other platforms haven't nailed down as nicely. Instant on/off sleep is very important for me here. I keep this laptop around for jumping on the net, checking my forums, using Facebook, etc. It's on as fast as my cellphone. For what i want a laptop at home for, this is perfect. But it's not all sunshine and rainbows. The Mac is far from perfect, and for many, it can be too costly. My biggest gripe is that the hardware itself is too limited. You don't have a lot of choices when it comes to picking up a Mac. Fortunately, they had a model that offered the features that I wanted at a price I was willing to pay. No regrets thus far. But I'm not saying, "everybody should switch to Apple". I'm not saying, "I'm done with Windows and have seen the light and am going Mac". Again, right tool for the right job.

A proper discussion usually means referring to the original post topic and referenced article.

But forums always goes on tangents and off topics. It's just the nature of the beast. We all make our comments and then respond to the comments made by others. As long as nobody personally attacks others or gets personally invested and gets their feelings hurt, I have no issues at all with this. It's what is great about these forums, people keep a level head and stay civil. And when they don't they are bounced out.

In any event, it is unnecessary to dismiss people, as described in the article, Linux Geeks tend to be rude.
I will attempt to withdraw and end my participation here before it gets to [DEL]banned[/DEL]
Good Night!
The Linux community does tend to be more snarky, more RTFM, and more high and mighty. It's a sad fact, as this does turn off many people who otherwise look at the platform. But on the flip side, it's people who "Are" managing to do what they need with an alternative platform, and a platform that many on other platforms says is completely not possible. So, some of the attitude comes with the territory. For many a Linux user, it's taken some reading, experimentation and many trials and errors. Some things might not be as simple as within Windows. But some have philosophical problems with Microsoft business practices, or don't agree with licensing, don't have the funds to pay for their software, don't want to be hold "how it has to be", and for them there is a very capable open platform that can be heavily modified to suit their needs. Is it for everybody? Of course not. I've never said it was. But for some, the effort is worth the reward.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Linux Live distros, best thing after sliced bread. I'm using it for troubleshooting and saving files from otherwise unreachable systems. Don't have to install on HDD or bather with dual booting or VMs. Also nice to run on other machines with tools you need, also god for going to "shady places " on internet. Could be run with public networks where you can catch all kinds of nasty stuff or have your computer broken in to.

Perfect example, of right tool for the right job. You aren't saying, it's gotta be one of the other. Having a choice, and being able to use that choice can come in handy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Back