Enough Is Enough!

Who's excited for the next version!?!?!
I'm really excited for the Windows Blue update and baby tiles and hopefully a better tetris style for the Start Screen so I can put tiles WHERE EVER!

And I don't want the Aero iconography, and it's rumored the Desktop should get a flatterness to it.

Seems interesting though, it'd be like Windows 2000 to Windows xp. Basically the same except the UI and many other things were changed and improved upon and on the same kernel, but xp was shipped a year after 2000. What if this was supposed to happen with EVERY Windows version!? :what:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I'm really excited for the Windows Blue update and baby tiles and hopefully a better tetris style for the Start Screen so I can put tiles WHERE EVER!

And I don't want the Aero iconography, and it's rumored the Desktop should get a flatterness to it.

Seems interesting though, it'd be like Windows 2000 to Windows xp. Basically the same except the UI and many other things were changed and improved upon and on the same kernel, but xp was shipped a year after 2000. What if this was supposed to happen with EVERY Windows version!? :what:

You mean they're going to further flatten the desktop presentation? Yipes! I'm glad I'm staying with Seven!

3DFlip.png

Hey ... I missed my 3D card flip. What can I say? A click with the center mouse button, roll the wheel and find the right card and click. Exchange this for a flat desktop? Nah!

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB

You mean they're going to further flatten the desktop presentation? Yipes! I'm glad I'm staying with Seven!

View attachment 15794

Hey ... I missed my 3D card flip. What can I say? A click with the center mouse button, roll the wheel and find the right card and click. Exchange this for a flat desktop? Nah!

-Max
I never really knew about Aero Flip until like 2008 or 2009. Never really used it.

But I find that a big Taskbar is better, a Microsoft Touch Mouse with a three finger gesture is most preferable I find and less distracting. :)

Screenshot (62).png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

View attachment 15794

-Max
I never really knew about Aero Flip until like 2008 or 2009. Never really used it.

But I find that a big Taskbar is better, a Microsoft Touch Mouse with a three finger gesture is most preferable I find and less distracting. :)

View attachment 15797

It's just a matter of personal preference, Coke. In my case the Win7 presentation hit a "sweet spot" with me. I think I'm going to "drive the wheels off" this one.

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
good for you Max! I'm sure you'll hang around in the Windows 8 forum as well because you'll miss the company. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
good for you Max! I'm sure you'll hang around in the Windows 8 forum as well because you'll miss the company. :D

Oh yeah, I'll hang around. This is a nice group of folks and we deal with more than just Win8 issues. I'm still interested in watching the industry - I would just rather do it from the sidelines at this point. This whole thing has consumed WAY too much time over the last year or so. I've always loved tinkering with things but eventually you have to weed some things out and this is one I have to weed out. I depend on my system too much to be fiddling around with the O/S all the time.

-Max :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
Hi there.

I Absolutely HATED W8 at first -- still don't like the Metro / Scroll part - but I've organised my work so I rarely have to use these features and if one also learns a few of the keystrokes such as windows +X you get the little useful popup menu where you can for example choose search to quickly find a program / application that you haven't pinned to desktop / taskbar then its's perfectly suitable even for "Classical desktop" stuff.

People forget - but on a laptop with a smallish screen the old menu also wasn't that convenient either -- it took up a large amount of the screen real estate and with a lot of applications wasn't that simple to navigate either.

Touch is better implemented by far on W8. For a desktop (or desktop mode) the whole idea of full screen working isn't a good one so I see Metro as a big mistake -- Dynamically updating Gadgets such as existed in VISTA and W7 which could open up to expandable windows would IMO have been a better option -- and may well appear in the next iteration of Windows or be already available by 3rd party developers.

Classical applications also need to be quickly accessible without creating 10 million tiles on install too.

W8 is a TRANSITION -- this is its first outing - we can't or shouldn't expect it to be 100% first time out. People have short memories -- remember W95, and XP -- both hated but W95 was seen as a real change in the way people react with computers and XP was universally detested at first -- now people are begging Ms to keep it almost in perpetuity.

I like the speed of W8, it's better hardware integration. security features, virtual ISO mounts , good touch and multi-monitor support BUT hate the metro idea.

However when you get down to it -- if you pin stuff to desktop and taskbar is there really that much difference in working in W7 or W8 (apart from the fact W7 seems more sluggish).

People moan about Aero etc -- these are just cosmetic effects -- and if you are in a workplace seriously using your computer - how often during the day do you actually LOOK at the desktop.

I'll bet in a years time people will look at some of these old posts and wonder what the whole fuss was about .

(On my W7 system which has a load of complex apps like the FULL CS adobe suite - I only have one adobe app namely Photoshop currently installed on W8 -, some backend office software such as connections to various SAP ERP systems etc and developer tools like the full version Visual studio I still rarely if ever use the Menu -- IMO the whole menu thing is nothing more than the proverbial "Storm in a tea cup").

One area which I'm (Hopefully) looking forward to using a lot more in W8 is the ability to better dynamically sync a lot of stuff between your phone and your PC --even from Android apps -- now here's a suggestion -- if some of the Android apps could dynamically update your W8 windows Desktop Gadgets (after "gadgets" have been implemented) that would be brilliant. How about it all you young developers -- your time would be much better (and hugely more profitable) in designing and implementing something like this -- even the mighty Ms would be interested. !!

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB