Enough Is Enough!

Did you get the memo? xp is dead.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe we have different needs than you and a grandiose statement as such just makes you look like an idiot.

#1). I work for a software company, and i have to test stuff that customers might run into. So, I need XP a whole lot more than Windows 8 compatibility mode

#2). When testing software, like a backup app, or misc network utility, I often do so in a VM. An XP VM takes a whole heck of a lot less resources (RAM, CPU, HDD space) to spin up and play around with than (vista, 7 or 8). With just 2-3GB of space and 256MB of RAM, I can run XP and get done what I need to test. I keep an XP image that I can reuse and it's like 2GB, which can be copied from my source a whole lot faster than a 12GB Windows 8 image.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
There must be something wrong with me, I've installed it on a Netbook, had to install the Windows 7 drivers, ran like a charm. Installed it on 3 other PC's no problem, installed it on another one, had to put Windows 7 drivers on it, now no problem.

I've got Windows 8 Pro running perfectly on 4 PC's, would never even think of going back to Windows 7.

X2! I've got it running on all three of our laptops.

Now that it's baked for a while (in my calendar) I'm going to go back to it on my main work machine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8, Windows 7
    HP Z210
    Internet Speed
    25mbps
Would you consider using Windows 8 next time with a touch enabled mouse? I hear it makes the user experience MUCH better, also I use one and it makes the user experience MUCH better. :)

Hell no. At this point there is not good use for this rubbish OS.

Now now ... let's not take it quite that far, OK? It's not "rubbish" and I haven't said anything even remotely resembling such. Aside from the fact that I had a couple of annoying technical issues (besides the crashes that kept happening) the system just wasn't for me, that's all. I don't care much for having a tablet O/S bolted onto the back of the desktop. Some do like it and that's fine. Posts like yours lose all credibility ... you're just spamming. What are you, a Linux user or something? Don't come onto this board with 4 posts to your credit and make comments like that, please. You're just asking to be banned (or ignored).

-Max

If you're saying Windows 8 is rubbish. Please tell me more.
My computer was preinstalled with Windows Vista.
I went from 4 years of Vista to 4 years of Seven.
Windows 8's problems feel like a break from the too-damn-easy-no-problems Windows 7.
It takes me back to what using a PC should feel like.
A balance of control and usability. Unfortunately, people got spoiled with Windows 7.
And Metro is great. The implementation was just lacking in the apps department.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Custom Built
    CPU
    i5-3570K
    Motherboard
    GA-Z77X-UD3H
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte nVidia GTX 660 Ti
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    2TB Western Digital Caviar Green
    PSU
    XFX PRO750W 80Plus Silver
    Case
    Fractal R4
    Cooling
    Stock Fan :3
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 5000
    Mouse
    Logitech G9x
    Internet Speed
    ~30Mbits
There must be something wrong with me, I've installed it on a Netbook, had to install the Windows 7 drivers, ran like a charm. Installed it on 3 other PC's no problem, installed it on another one, had to put Windows 7 drivers on it, now no problem.

I've got Windows 8 Pro running perfectly on 4 PC's, would never even think of going back to Windows 7.
I've installed it on a number of different machines and technically it has worked exactly as it was designed to work. However, that doesn't mean that it worked the way I want it to work. I don't think 8 is bad, but I can honestly say that the design changes and the whole app approach has very little appeal to me as a user.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info

Did you ever stop to think that maybe we have different needs than you and a grandiose statement as such just makes you look like an idiot.

#1). I work for a software company, and i have to test stuff that customers might run into. So, I need XP a whole lot more than Windows 8 compatibility mode

#2). When testing software, like a backup app, or misc network utility, I often do so in a VM. An XP VM takes a whole heck of a lot less resources (RAM, CPU, HDD space) to spin up and play around with than (vista, 7 or 8). With just 2-3GB of space and 256MB of RAM, I can run XP and get done what I need to test. I keep an XP image that I can reuse and it's like 2GB, which can be copied from my source a whole lot faster than a 12GB Windows 8 image.

There's probably a good reason why xp mode isn't there in Windows 8, times have changed and xp's support life is coming to a close end than it was when Windows 7 came out. Back when 7 came out, xp was the main OS used and it NEEDED xp mode to run older programs. Theoretically by now, elder software that needed xp should had been updated for Windows 7, and theoretically run in Windows 8 without issue. It's pretty absurd that software in this decade still needs an Windows version from a decade ago. I find it's inexcusable considering a set date of end support is nearing.

But ok, if you need to run xp because customers are still running it, it'd probably just be best to run the actual OS of xp versus a mode. A VM would bode better I'd think than that. xp mode was more or less designed to run xp era programs in a new OS to push people onto 7 than stick with xp because of that excuse.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

Yet, it took you 7 months to discover that there's no XP mode? You can't be needing it THAT much.

Having said that, 8 Pro (XP Mode only worked on 7 pro, so it's the same) has Client Hyper-V, which is far more powerful, and can run XP if you want to.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX

Yet, it took you 7 months to discover that there's no XP mode? You can't be needing it THAT much.

Having said that, 8 Pro (XP Mode only worked on 7 pro, so it's the same) has Client Hyper-V, which is far more powerful, and can run XP if you want to.
That's kind of true...

But I have to disagree about Hyper-V. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I couldn't get a usable install of xp to function correctly with it. VirtualBox is a better alternative than Hyper-V and free too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX

Well there you go, another reason to buy Windows 8. For $39 you can still run Windows XP if you so desire and get used to 8 at the same time, and you go in the draw for MCE if you're lucky and quick enough.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Areo Glass is the weirdest looking thing to me now. It's like..... comparing Windows xp to Windows 7, it's weird! Why is everything glowing?....

To me, I notice it's more of a distraction after using Windows 8, without flaw, for a while now. Microsoft has been trying to remove focus on window chrome since the inception of Windows Longhorn/vista and TOTALLY screwed the pooch on that. Every time I see a screenshot of 7 or use it, I ALWAYS, without fail look at the window chrome first over the window content itself.

Odd.

There are other options. You are not forced to use Aero.
If you get distracted that much I suggest using the Basic & Classic Theme(s) available. :)

For instance I'm a big user of AeroLite themes on Win8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.

Although I've heard Windows 8 has pretty impressive program comparability support, at least for some elder games.

As long as programs work in it, XP is immortal as a VM.

The compatibility is great in Win8 for some elder games indeed but in extreme cases you have VM's as well.
You've heard? I though you've already (at least) seen the menu's. :D 16bit resolutions available there + Win7 and XP SP3 compatibility added.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Theoretically by now, elder software that needed xp should had been updated for Windows 7, and theoretically run in Windows 8 without issue. It's pretty absurd that software in this decade still needs an Windows version from a decade ago. I find it's inexcusable considering a set date of end support is nearing.

Glad to see that you are volunteering to replace old business software with new versions, out of the goodness of your heart and your bottomless wallet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
I haven't had the best of luck trying to run Windows 8 on my hardware, and have pretty well reached the enough is enough stage too. It would only be a matter of time and one or more Metro Apps would refuse to launch. Reset and Refresh were no help. System restore didn't fix it either. I'd have to do a clean install and then just wait for it to happen again. The last straw for me was a complete lockup by Metro. No apps would launch, couldn't get to my desktop, even task manager failed to launch correctly. At this point I'm not really inspired to pony up the 40 bucks to keep running 8 so I went back to 7. I'm guessing it might be a combination of the hardware I'm running it on, and the drivers for said hardware. Both of my desktop PC's had the same problems with Metro and Metro apps. They have very similar hardware, an Asus M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard in one and an Asus M2N68-AM SE2 µATX Motherboard in the other.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2

Many people (and it looks like CR is included in that) have no idea how deeply entrenched the XP technology is. It's everywhere. Microsoft may say it's "dead" from a strictly marketing and support (as far as THEY are concerned) standpoint but out "in the wild" there are many, MANY people who still use it to run their daily lives, businesses, what have you. When I walk around our corporate office I still see many machines that are running XP. I go to the doctor's office and their entire LAN is built around XP workstations. My bank (Bank of America, not just some little fly by night operation) still uses mostly XP in the branch offices. Not everybody is on the "upgrade train" with this stuff like many of us here are. They're too busy taking care of business to be worried about whether they have the latest version of an O/S. The sentiment among computer users IN GENERAL is simply this: If it ain't broke, why fix it? You have to answer the question "why" more often in corporate environments because they are not likely to upgrade to the latest item just "because it's cool".

People like me can afford to upgrade and play with the technology but there are many out there who are using their [XP, Vista, Win7] installations that, if asked, can't come up with the sufficient "why" to retool. I can afford to buy a new hammer if I want to, too. There's some really great looking ones down at Lowes and they're always coming out with new models that look really COOL but then I ask myself why ... does my existing hammer now all-of-a-sudden no longer function because there's a new one for sale?

I'm not saying there's anything WRONG with making new models of hammers, but to take the attitude that someone is a luddite because they refuse to upgrade to our latest, greatest hammer so they can be with the crowd? Nuts. You upgrade when you either break your existing tool or you determine the new tool will do what you want it to much better than what you have and you can afford same. THAT's when you upgrade.

One more analogy and I'll quit my rant. Take another example: Honda. I own a 2006 Honda Civic. Bought it from Courtesy Honda back in 2009 as a slightly-used car. It's got 125,000 miles (or so) on it right now. One thing I DON'T ever hear from Courtesy (or Honda USA) is that the "2006 Civic is DEAD". I can still get service for the thing, it still runs like a champ and I'll probably get half-a-million miles out of it. They have given me no service deadline (I.E. after such-and-such a date we will refuse to 'support' your 2006 Honda). No ... they service it practically forever. Rare to see in the software industry, though as I think about it I realize that the company I work for services our product no matter how long someone has owned it.

Making statements like "XP is DEAD" comes from people who are uninformed about what goes on in the real world. The deeper the penetration that this technology makes, the longer it's going to take to force people from one platform to the next. Some will, some won't, so what? A tool is a tool. Why shouldn't someone be able to use it as long as they want to?

-Max

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
Theoretically by now, elder software that needed xp should had been updated for Windows 7, and theoretically run in Windows 8 without issue. It's pretty absurd that software in this decade still needs an Windows version from a decade ago. I find it's inexcusable considering a set date of end support is nearing.

Glad to see that you are volunteering to replace old business software with new versions, out of the goodness of your heart and your bottomless wallet.

:roflmao:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
I haven't had the best of luck trying to run Windows 8 on my hardware, and have pretty well reached the enough is enough stage too. It would only be a matter of time and one or more Metro Apps would refuse to launch. Reset and Refresh were no help. System restore didn't fix it either. I'd have to do a clean install and then just wait for it to happen again. The last straw for me was a complete lockup by Metro. No apps would launch, couldn't get to my desktop, even task manager failed to launch correctly. At this point I'm not really inspired to pony up the 40 bucks to keep running 8 so I went back to 7. I'm guessing it might be a combination of the hardware I'm running it on, and the drivers for said hardware. Both of my desktop PC's had the same problems with Metro and Metro apps. They have very similar hardware, an Asus M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard in one and an Asus M2N68-AM SE2 µATX Motherboard in the other.

As far as I'm concerned I simply got to the point where I was tired of fiddling with it. The whole thing was becoming obsessive. It's just not worth it. Nothing I'm doing requires it so I finally quit fooling with it. It was OK to play with it for awhile (like a year-and-a-half off and on!) but I really would rather do something else.

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB

As far as I'm concerned I simply got to the point where I was tired of fiddling with it. The whole thing was becoming obsessive. It's just not worth it. Nothing I'm doing requires it so I finally quit fooling with it. It was OK to play with it for awhile (like a year-and-a-half off and on!) but I really would rather do something else.

-Max

I hear you. For windows 7 it takes me maybe 10 minutes to tweak it the way I want it. I could be an hour or more fiddling with the Metro screen etc, to get it so its usable for my needs. Install software, arrange tiles, install software, arrange tiles, wash rinse and repeat. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Just spent the day yesterday building my machine back up to Win7 Ultimate from scratch. I'm done with "8" for the duration. Latest problem: hard crashing when more than one Metro app open with busy desktop.

Sorry guys ... this thing just ain't an upgrade. I've got better things to do than fool with a tablet O/S on my desktop. It's been fun.

Wow ... I forgot how much I liked Aero Glass!

-Max :cool:

My hat off to you, Max. Your OP here and your following ones are to the point, eloquent, and honest. I like how you correct those judging and spamming either way. I feel we should all try to practice that more, including me. I know I can get quite cocky with my attitude at times.

In reading your posts these past months, I know that you gave it your all with trying and testing 8.

I just installed my Windows 8 Pro OEM System Builder edition to dual boot with 7 the other night. A few reasons why I've decided to do so. It's not that I don't like 8, but rather I'm a little leery of it, for I think they may have pushed it out the door a little too soon. We all know the pattern of good and lousy of every other OS, not to say that 8 is lousy, but rather a little unstable. I'm sure MS will do their all to work bugs out. I cannot afford to run a business on an OS that I think is not quite stable yet. Although I consider myself luckier than some with their horror stories here. I just feel this is the best way to go for me at the present time.

Another reason is that I need to update some software, especially Office 2000 Pro and rightfully so. I surely got my money's worth there.

Anywho, we all need to decide what's best for us. I respect your choice. Does this mean we won't be seeing you here on the forums any longer?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
There's probably a good reason why xp mode isn't there in Windows 8, times have changed and xp's support life is coming to a close end than it was when Windows 7 came out. Back when 7 came out, xp was the main OS used and it NEEDED xp mode to run older programs. Theoretically by now, elder software that needed xp should had been updated for Windows 7, and theoretically run in Windows 8 without issue. It's pretty absurd that software in this decade still needs an Windows version from a decade ago. I find it's inexcusable considering a set date of end support is nearing.
Having to test in XP is NOT (I repeat NOT) due to the software having to run in XP. The software runs in any version of Windows. The problem is that the customer works in an industry that hasn't upgraded their computers off from XP. Lots of our business customers work in environments where their computers are old, antiquated and still running XP. These businesses aren't willing to spend 1 red cent on a new computer until the old computer is completely dead. And I'm not talking about rinky dink companies nobody has ever heard of, I'm talking about companies like Ford Motor Company, Land Rover, Jaquar, etc.

But ok, if you need to run xp because customers are still running it, it'd probably just be best to run the actual OS of xp versus a mode. A VM would bode better I'd think than that. xp mode was more or less designed to run xp era programs in a new OS to push people onto 7 than stick with xp because of that excuse.
XP Mode is NOT a mode, it's a VM, plain and simple. It's just licensed and ready to go. Microsoft just elected to call it XP Mode instead of XP VM. I don't know why they did it that way.

The reason it wasn't noticed is that we don't run Windows 8 on employee machines at my office. I was experimenting with Windows 8 on my extra desktop (on a second hard drive), and decided to set up a few of the things that I would normally use to see if they all work (VMWare Workstation 8.x, etc). That's when I noticed that you could not use XP Mode. My primary laptop and primary desktop both run Windows 7 Enterprise and I can use XP Mode on them.

Totally understand. I actually use VMWare Worsktation 8.0.5 on my machine at work. I load XP Mode, and then IMPORT it into VMWare Workstation and run from there. I've never been a Hyper-V fan (although 3.0 is much, much improved), we are a VMWare shop and do everything in vSphere 4.x and 5.x I stick with VMWare on the desktop to maintain consistency and utilize tips and tricks and documentation that I have already written over the years.

I know that I can use a volume license copy of our Windows XP install media (or my own MSDN copy) and install Windows XP into a VM just like anything else, but then I have to actually do the setup and input our key..yadda, yadda, yadda. I didn't have to do that with XP Mode. It was extremely small, ready to go, and worked perfectly without being in a grey licensing area whatsoever.

I just don't like loosing functionality and features when I upgrade my operating system. I expect the same feature set and more when I go to new versions.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Windows 8 is GR8! No need to H8!
:D

I never had problems with Window7 Ultimate, and no problems with Windows 8 Pro.

So far I am happy with Win8, although I'm still learning it (getting used to it).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel I7
    Motherboard
    Intel DX58SO
    Memory
    6GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA Nvidia GeForce 295 x2