Enough Is Enough!

There must be something wrong with me, I've installed it on a Netbook, had to install the Windows 7 drivers, ran like a charm. Installed it on 3 other PC's no problem, installed it on another one, had to put Windows 7 drivers on it, now no problem.

I've got Windows 8 Pro running perfectly on 4 PC's, would never even think of going back to Windows 7.

Same here, I do not understand all the agony people seems to be going through, it has been painless for me on a pc, laptop, 2 tablets and an htpc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Tablet
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Surface Pro 3
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics HD
    Screen Resolution
    2160 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    128GB SSD, 128GB MicroSD
    Internet Speed
    8GB
    Antivirus
    Bitdefender
im running 8 pro on a 5or6 year dell SFF optiplex 745 ,and im not having the problems that i see people in this forum and other forums having ,but maybe im just lucky or haven't loaded some of the apps they have that might be causing the trouble ,any all for one and one for all good luck in the future

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
Before making the transition, I investigated, researched and prepared. When I dove in, I didn't belly flop. Luckily, no problems before or after. I knew what I was getting into and have no regrets. Works for me. I respect the opinions of others, they do what they have to do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 Update 1 Pro 64bit
    Pavillion H8-1202
    CPU
    I7-2600 @ 3.4 GHz
    Motherboard
    PEGATRON
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NIVDIA GeForce GT 520
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC656GR CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster S22B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1080 32 bit color
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB
    Keyboard
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
Just spent the day yesterday building my machine back up to Win7 Ultimate from scratch. I'm done with "8" for the duration. Latest problem: hard crashing when more than one Metro app open with busy desktop.

Sorry guys ... this thing just ain't an upgrade. I've got better things to do than fool with a tablet O/S on my desktop. It's been fun.

Wow ... I forgot how much I liked Aero Glass!

-Max :cool:

My hat off to you, Max. Your OP here and your following ones are to the point, eloquent, and honest. I like how you correct those judging and spamming either way. I feel we should all try to practice that more, including me. I know I can get quite cocky with my attitude at times.

In reading your posts these past months, I know that you gave it your all with trying and testing 8.

I just installed my Windows 8 Pro OEM System Builder edition to dual boot with 7 the other night. A few reasons why I've decided to do so. It's not that I don't like 8, but rather I'm a little leery of it, for I think they may have pushed it out the door a little too soon. We all know the pattern of good and lousy of every other OS, not to say that 8 is lousy, but rather a little unstable. I'm sure MS will do their all to work bugs out. I cannot afford to run a business on an OS that I think is not quite stable yet. Although I consider myself luckier than some with their horror stories here. I just feel this is the best way to go for me at the present time.

Another reason is that I need to update some software, especially Office 2000 Pro and rightfully so. I surely got my money's worth there.

Anywho, we all need to decide what's best for us. I respect your choice. Does this mean we won't be seeing you here on the forums any longer?

Hippsie,

Thanks for the kind words. I do try to be honest and relate my experiences. That's what these forums are for, no?

No, I won't disappear. There's been some good discussions from this group. While I won't consider myself among the Win8 "supporters" I'll still monitor and chime in to good discussions I see going.

-Max :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
Oh good, Max! Things just wouldn't be the same around here without you. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Same here, I do not understand all the agony people seems to be going through, it has been painless for me on a pc, laptop, 2 tablets and an htpc.
It's all due to the fact that we use our computers differently. Most of my agony is simply not liking the way that I now have to do something. It's not that I cannot do it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
But ok, if you need to run xp because customers are still running it, it'd probably just be best to run the actual OS of xp versus a mode. A VM would bode better I'd think than that. xp mode was more or less designed to run xp era programs in a new OS to push people onto 7 than stick with xp because of that excuse.
XP Mode is NOT a mode, it's a VM, plain and simple. It's just licensed and ready to go. Microsoft just elected to call it XP Mode instead of XP VM. I don't know why they did it that way.

Thanks Coke for simple definition to clarify XP mode not being XP OS & VMs in general.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
The reason it wasn't noticed is that we don't run Windows 8 on employee machines at my office. I was experimenting with Windows 8 on my extra desktop (on a second hard drive), and decided to set up a few of the things that I would normally use to see if they all work (VMWare Workstation 8.x, etc). That's when I noticed that you could not use XP Mode. My primary laptop and primary desktop both run Windows 7 Enterprise and I can use XP Mode on them.

My point was that you've been "playing with" 8 for quite some time, based on your arguments against it over the various months. If this was such an important feature to you, it seems like it would have been one of the first things you looked for, whether or not you intended to use it while playing with it.

I know that I can use a volume license copy of our Windows XP install media (or my own MSDN copy) and install Windows XP into a VM just like anything else, but then I have to actually do the setup and input our key..yadda, yadda, yadda. I didn't have to do that with XP Mode. It was extremely small, ready to go, and worked perfectly without being in a grey licensing area whatsoever.

I just don't like loosing functionality and features when I upgrade my operating system. I expect the same feature set and more when I go to new versions.

My point was that Client Hyper-V *IS* more functionality. You're not losing any functionality, you're getting more. It's like complaining that someone replaced your Yugo with a BMW, and saying you're losing the functionality of having a crappy car.

No, you don't get the XP license, but most of us already have more XP licenses than we can sneeze at. I've got boxes full of them, not to mention tons of testing licenses through TechNet and MSDN. What you can do is install XP once, copy the image, and reuse it over and over, which is basically the same thing as you were doing with XP Mode.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
My point was that you've been "playing with" 8 for quite some time, based on your arguments against it over the various months. If this was such an important feature to you, it seems like it would have been one of the first things you looked for, whether or not you intended to use it while playing with it.
Fair enough, in my playing, I didn't notice it was missing. But I did say it was not a showstopper, just a disappointment...so it's not like I ever declared it to be the most important thing to me. I have not ever seriously considered Windows 8 for a daily use machine...so I never really considered these other things that I might want to do and could not do.

My point was that Client Hyper-V *IS* more functionality. You're not losing any functionality, you're getting more.
While Hyper-V has more functionality than Virtual PC ever had, in this case it's the "free license" to Windows XP that I appreciated the most and that is what has been lost. You certainly can run Windows XP as a Hyper-V VM, but you gotta come to the table with your own license to do it.

On the plus side, having Hyper-V included in Windows 8 pro is super nice. In many cases, it would prevent somebody from having to buy the $200 copy of VMWare Workstation as I have done. I still want VMWare since I use it so extensively at work, but most people could care less.

No, you don't get the XP license, but most of us already have more XP licenses than we can sneeze at.
I'd say most of us have OEM licenses of XP, which technically are not legally transferable to a VM.

not to mention tons of testing licenses through TechNet and MSDN.
Yes, I noted that I have volume license options and my MSDN license options for myself personally. I just appreciated that with Windows 7 I didn't have to use them. It was a nice add-on, freebie license. However, when investing in the newest version of the OS, you don't get anymore.

What you can do is install XP once, copy the image, and reuse it over and over, which is basically the same thing as you were doing with XP Mode.
Yes, understood. I actually make heavy use of the linked clone template functionality of VMWare Workstation. I just liked the 1 min setup and install of XP Mode versus the 20+ minutes it takes to setup a VM, load the OS, answer the question, provide the license, and then mark as a template and re-use.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Rightly or wrongly, when anyone throws their dummy out of the pram like the OP, poor chap, I always have a sneaky suspicion it is the user at fault. I'm not saying this about the OP but just in general. My own upgrade from Win7 to 8 was a nightmare but only because I hadn't understood the role UEFI type bioses now play and why it isn't a good idea to try to upgrade a system that has two bootable hard drives! Silly errors on my part!:eek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 64bit
    self built
    CPU
    i5-2500K
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77
    Memory
    16Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD5700
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HPLP2475w, AOC
    Hard Drives
    SATA 3 SSD, SATA 2 5 drives total 6Tb
It's all due to the fact that we use our computers differently. Most of my agony is simply not liking the way that I now have to do something. It's not that I cannot do it.

That's basically how it broke down for me, except of course the fact that I was getting a daily hard lock and I couldn't keep a remote desktop session with my office machine open without repeated timeouts. To me those became deal breakers, particularly since I found the Metro end of it to literally be a vestige to me. I'm sure if I'd continued the struggle for a few more months these issues may have been worked out, however it simply came down to what bean counters call a cost/benefit ratio. The ratio was getting too high. The benefit part of the ratio (the denominator) was approaching zero which means a BIG number! (BIG is bad).

OTOH, once I finish configuring a Win7 box it runs for months and months with no problems at all. Continuing to force myself to try and like Win8 became silly.

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
Uh huh.

I suspect you're one of those people that likes to do all that configuration stuff. After you get your Windows 7 box "perfect" you'll get bored, and want to reinstall 8 again ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
:geek:Yep, a perfect system is boring!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 64bit
    self built
    CPU
    i5-2500K
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77
    Memory
    16Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD5700
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HPLP2475w, AOC
    Hard Drives
Rightly or wrongly, when anyone throws their dummy out of the pram like the OP, poor chap, I always have a sneaky suspicion it is the user at fault. I'm not saying this about the OP but just in general. My own upgrade from Win7 to 8 was a nightmare but only because I hadn't understood the role UEFI type bioses now play and why it isn't a good idea to try to upgrade a system that has two bootable hard drives! Silly errors on my part!:eek:

I'm not a "poor chap", I'm a software developer with 36+ years of experience with these systems. I've written everything from O/S kernel code to device drivers to process control code to financials to ... (list about 2 dozen more here). I've been configuring these boxes since they were running DOS 1.1.

I figured that at my level of experience and expertise that if I couldn't make myself like the thing after a year-and-a-half (going through the DEV and Release Preview Process then onto the "gold" release) that it was time to hang the thing up and return to a system I've proven to be completely reliable so I can spend more time doing what I do best, write code. This O/S tinkering and tweaking was costing me big-time in terms of time and aggravation. The last time I ran into this kind of frustration was back in the OS/2 vs. Windows days.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
Uh huh.

I suspect you're one of those people that likes to do all that configuration stuff. After you get your Windows 7 box "perfect" you'll get bored, and want to reinstall 8 again ;)

There has been some component of that, sure, but this time it cost me way too much time to retool back (I have a damned complex system set up). I'll pull the Ruger out of the drawer next to me and shoot the machine before I'll go through that aggravation any time soon again! (That little .380 will make a NICE hole in this box!) I've got a product to build and fooling around with this thing is stealing time from that!

-Max ;-)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
I wasn't being personal as I tried to make clear! I was being sympathetic to your experience. I too go back a long, long way and still enjoy the challenges. But as you say, someone in your position can't afford that luxury!:D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 64bit
    self built
    CPU
    i5-2500K
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77
    Memory
    16Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD5700
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HPLP2475w, AOC
    Hard Drives
I wasn't being personal as I tried to make clear! I was being sympathetic to your experience. I too go back a long, long way and still enjoy the challenges. But as you say, someone in your position can't afford that luxury!:D

I didn't take it personally, I was trying to be "tongue-in-cheek" with the "poor chap" stuff. Sorry!

It's not that I can't "afford" it ... I'm just tired of the aggravation. I really LIKE Win7 and its presentation. Microsoft got this one right and Win8, as good as it may be, just ain't fitting here. That's all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
Uh huh.

True.
Luckily I can divert the reinstalls mostly to VM tests BEFORE I mess or forget some data or tweaks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset