stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I'll actually say that I want transparency with blur("glass"), but not Aero. Rounded corners and the stripes in win7 and vista did look quite silly. I really prefer "authentic" looking transparency such as what was seen in the RP. In the end, though, I would pick the 7 look over the 8 RTM look.

Right on. The solid colors could possibly be transparent, but the stripes and corners bugged me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro, iOS 7.1, Elementary OS
    Computer type
    Tablet
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Apple
    Memory
    1 GB
    Screen Resolution
    2048x1536
    Other Info
    iPad Air
I may be "gaa-gaa" over anything Microsoft, but I'd rather be gaa-gaa for a UI that doesn't have stitched leather, or a reel-to-reel tape deck, or a fake paper ticket dispenser, or IKEA veneer bookshelves, or gradient metal, or doesn't have anything new in the UI in years, or the only color schemes you have available is grey, grey, blue scrollbar, grey, grey, gloss, white, pale blue folders, gloss, grey, black, grey, and a random galaxy wallpaper.

Maybe I'm just a hipster.... :)

Now as for people not getting used to the UI changes, yeah that holds no stock whatsoever. There are ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS.......ALWAYS, complaints about UI changes. What happens after a couple of years? There are almost rarely any complaints left. The ones that do complain are usually some oddities with an internet blog just to complain about the UI changes. Aero may be missed at first, then people get over it.

If I should say so myself, some of the complaints about the UI are so ridiculous, they can't even be taken with an ounce of sense or sanity. Like, "Windows 8 is the next vista." Most ridiculous claim ever. Or, "Windows 8 is Windows ME." Absurd. And there are the stupid cutesy nick names for it that I don't even KNOW what they mean. The complaints about full screen apps are a little more on the side of crying over split milk that hasn't been split yet. Don't like them, don't use them. Or the complaints about the Start Screen and organizing or launching apps, ummmm, don't know what to say as I can't physically move your hand to arrange them. It seems like some complain just to complain because they are so used to one they that they can't or don't want to try anything different, but say," I've seen and experienced more technological change than you'll ever imagine!" But this has been debated for months now.....no need to rehash.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I may be "gaa-gaa" over anything Microsoft, but I'd rather be gaa-gaa for a UI that doesn't have stitched leather, or a reel-to-reel tape deck, or a fake paper ticket dispenser, or IKEA veneer bookshelves, or gradient metal, or doesn't have anything new in the UI in years, or the only color schemes you have available is grey, grey, blue scrollbar, grey, grey, gloss, white, pale blue folders, gloss, grey, black, grey, and a random galaxy wallpaper.

Maybe I'm just a hipster.... :)

Now as for people not getting used to the UI changes, yeah that holds no stock whatsoever. There are ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS.......ALWAYS, complaints about UI changes. What happens after a couple of years? There are almost rarely any complaints left. The ones that do complain are usually some oddities with an internet blog just to complain about the UI changes. Aero may be missed at first, then people get over it.

If I should say so myself, some of the complaints about the UI are so ridiculous, they can't even be taken with an ounce of sense or sanity. Like, "Windows 8 is the next vista." Most ridiculous claim ever. Or, "Windows 8 is Windows ME." Absurd. And there are the stupid cutesy nick names for it that I don't even KNOW what they mean. The complaints about full screen apps are a little more on the side of crying over split milk that hasn't been split yet. Don't like them, don't use them. Or the complaints about the Start Screen and organizing or launching apps, ummmm, don't know what to say as I can't physically move your hand to arrange them. It seems like some complain just to complain because they are so used to one they that they can't or don't want to try anything different, but say," I've seen and experienced more technological change than you'll ever imagine!" But this has been debated for months now.....no need to rehash.

Good Job, Coke Robert. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Apple
    Memory
    1 GB
    Screen Resolution
    2048x1536
    Other Info
    iPad Air
And you don't feel that MS is starting to go this route by eliminating choice, and forcing certain UI aspects that many don't agree with?

There are ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS.......ALWAYS, complaints about UI changes. What happens after a couple of years? There are almost rarely any complaints left.
And after a few years improvements are made, changes are implemented and third party tools are available to work around issues.

If I should say so myself, some of the complaints about the UI are so ridiculous, they can't even be taken with an ounce of sense or sanity. Like, "Windows 8 is the next vista." Most ridiculous claim ever.
I disagree that it's ridiculous. ME and Vista were the only releases of Microsoft OS's that I did NOT want to move to or use. I feel the same way about 8 for the most part, because of the goofy UI changes and such, I'm not interested in moving to it. I work in a company of almost 300 people, and thus far not a single person has yet to express an interest in running Windows 8 on their PC's at work. So, yeah, if few wanted to run Vista and few want to run 8, I don't see why it's odd whatsoever that somebody might call 8 the next Vista. It's for different reasons this time, but the fact is that many don't want it.

Or the complaints about the Start Screen and organizing or launching apps, ummmm, don't know what to say as I can't physically move your hand to arrange them.It seems like some complain just to complain because they are so used to one they that they can't or don't want to try anything different,
I don't see why people having concerns is not totally expected. It's a fundamental shift from the way that Windows has been....for a very long time. Obviously this big of a change is going to cause some concern. In past versions of Windows, when the start menu has been changed, there has ALWAYS been a "classic" option to give people a choice. MS has eliminated that choice, and that rubs many of us the wrong way.

I'm not adverse to change. In fact, I have been running Windows 8 on test machines for as long as they have been available to me (outside of leaks). I want Windows 8 to be a winner and I want something that is better, faster, leaner and more efficient than Windows 7. I obviously knew going in that some things would be different. So, not adverse to change.

However, after using it, I have found that I don't actually like the change. I don't see the benefits for me in how I use computers. I don't see the benefits for people who work at my company and use the computer as a daily tool to complete their jobs. What I see is a move towards a more tightly controlled and trendy, almost fashionable, change to a framework that runs and works like a smartphone or tablet. And I'm sorry that I cannot agree, or get excited, but it's just not what I want my desktop or laptop to work like.

Perhaps in a few years, when touchscreens are commonplace, it will have more advantages. But today, I just don't see them. It's not that I don't want to see them, or am afraid to see them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
The public just get what they are given.

They can hang on to their existing setup for a while - but at some stage they will need get a new pc - they get what is on it.

If the uptake is slow ( they hang on to what they have as long as possible ) and people keep complaining - then changes are made.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Now as for people not getting used to the UI changes, yeah that holds no stock whatsoever. There are ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS.......ALWAYS, complaints about UI changes. What happens after a couple of years? There are almost rarely any complaints left. The ones that do complain are usually some oddities with an internet blog just to complain about the UI changes. Aero may be missed at first, then people get over it. If I should say so myself, some of the complaints about the UI are so ridiculous, they can't even be taken with an ounce of sense or sanity. Like, "Windows 8 is the next vista." Most ridiculous claim ever. Or, "Windows 8 is Windows ME." Absurd. And there are the stupid cutesy nick names for it that I don't even KNOW what they mean. The complaints about full screen apps are a little more on the side of crying over split milk that hasn't been split yet. Don't like them, don't use them. Or the complaints about the Start Screen and organizing or launching apps, ummmm, don't know what to say as I can't physically move your hand to arrange them. It seems like some complain just to complain because they are so used to one they that they can't or don't want to try anything different, but say," I've seen and experienced more technological change than you'll ever imagine!" But this has been debated for months now.....no need to rehash.
If it's worse, that doesn't mean that I can't/won't get used to it. I can and will get used to it, but that does not change anything about the new UI being worse. For everyone who does not want an inferior computing experience, even if they are fully capable of learning how to use it, there are a multitude of options, including Windows 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 RTM (Retinas taking damage...)
    CPU
    i5 2500
    Motherboard
    msi p67a-g43
    Memory
    16 GB DDR3 1333
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Nvidia 9800 GTX+
My two cents' worth on Aero Glass: I love it. I like the effects. That's my preference, and if I can't have it (yet, anyway) in Windows 8 I can live with the Win8 "bleh" look. I only run Win8 in a VM anyway and I don't do a lot with it for a variety of reasons. I'm not going to rehash all of that again. Preferences are preferences.

What I fail to get, I guess, is why it was so hyped in Vista and Win7 and now they've yanked it. (Bring on the third-party Aero enablers!) Perhaps it really was because of the graphics card requirements and the desire to have all devices - phone, PC, tablet - look alike. Still, as others have suggested, removing the ability altogether seems drastic.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64
I never really cared for Aero. I'm big on solid colors. I like the clean straight lines of W8. Hopefully they will expand on that with Windows 9 and 10.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro
I never really cared for Aero. I'm big on solid colors. I like the clean straight lines of W8. Hopefully they will expand on that with Windows 9 and 10.

Yes, runamonk, I agree with you. I enjoy the new look, just me, it seems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Apple
    Memory
    1 GB
    Screen Resolution
    2048x1536
    Other Info
    iPad Air
Aero isn't really any different than this metro way. (Microsoft calls it the Metropolitan Way).

Thanks Guys!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Apple
    Memory
    1 GB
    Screen Resolution
    2048x1536
    Other Info
    iPad Air
Has Luna been better than Aero, and is Metro better than Luna?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Apple
    Memory
    1 GB
    Screen Resolution
    2048x1536
    Other Info
    iPad Air
Every version of Windows Micros oft has decided what themes we get or what the look will be. Even though Windows 7 was released with Aero and Transparancies it didn't stop power users from complaining that they could only theme it to what Microsoft wanted or provided in the OS. They complained that Microsoft changed the way themes worked compared to Windows XP so now they couldn't customize the themes anymore. Crying because they couldn't change the boot screen, login screen etc. Low and behold Stardock comes out with the tools to allow it all and power users were happy again. So Windows 8 comes with it's own theme and there is very little in the form of modify it, no different then before but everyone has to make a big deal about it as usual. When Stardock eventually releases Object Desktop for Windows 8 you'll all be happy again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
I love the way Windows 7 looks. Sure, the stripes that occur when you move windows or use Aero peek are a bit silly but remove them and just keep the transparency I say. It just makes the entire desktop experience feel more open to me. I'm a sucker for eye candy though and bought Windowblinds back in the day from Stardock just to have the Vista look in XP.

Windows 8 looks outdated. Microsoft is trying desperarely to convince people that Aero in W7 looks outdated but that is just not the case!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z68 D3H-B3
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 Sniper
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 560Ti ES
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    640GB Western Digital
    PSU
    Antec 620w
    Case
    Cooler Master Centurion 5
    Cooling
    Cooler Master 212+
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Optical
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Optical
    Internet Speed
    20Mbps
As I said before, as SOON as a 3rd-party app is available to put Vista/W7 Aero
back, I'll be installing it.

It's MY computer, and it's ME who has to look at it for 16+ hours a day.

So, I damned-well want it to look the way I want it to.

Not the way MS does, or you do, or he does.

ME. The way I want it. THAT'S what it's all about.

And again, as for Aero causing a 'performance hit', well, that's just rubbish!

Unless you're trying to run it on a 486.

It's NO excuse for getting rid of it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)
    Acer Aspire Ethos AS8951G 'Super-Laptop'.
    CPU
    Intel Sandy-Bridge i7-2670QM quad-core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 3000HD / Ge-Force GT555M 2 gigs
    Sound Card
    Realtek/5.1 Dolby built-in including speakers.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    18.4" full-HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1024
    Hard Drives
    2x750GB Toshiba internal, 1x500GB Seagate external, 1x2TB Seagate external, 1x640GB Toshiba pocket-drive, 1x640GB Samsung pocket drive.
    PSU
    Stock
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    Air-cooled
    Mouse
    I/R cordless.
    Internet Speed
    Borderline pathetic.
And again, as for Aero causing a 'performance hit', well, that's just rubbish!

Unless you're trying to run it on a 486.

It's NO excuse for getting rid of it.

Especially with today's CPU's and GPU's, and even on ARM.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro WMC, OS X Mavericks
    Home made
    CPU
    i7 860
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D-E
    Memory
    Corsair CMX8G3M2A1600C9D ,DDR3 ,8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 ,1 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell U2311H
    Hard Drives
    WD Caviar Black SATA 6.0 1TB x1 ,
    WD Caviar Blue 1TB x1
    WD Caviar Red 4TB
    PSU
    Corsair CMPSU-750TX
    Keyboard
    Logitech S510
    Mouse
    Logitech LX5
My screen looks more bright and clear with out Aero, I think I'll get used to it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire E1-571
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer Type-2
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000
    Sound Card
    High Definiton Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
    PSU
    Generic
    Keyboard
    QWERTY
    Mouse
    ELANTECH Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    12.68Mbps
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Well Aero stuff again... I just don't know how to turn the transparency of the taskbar OFF that's way off sync with the windows color on dark backgrounds.

For those who say Aero is removed:

I see Aero stuff all over again and as usually people say Aero's gone: wrong! What you call Aero is "transparent glass" but in fact it's the whole window borders system. Ok there is no more flip 3D but that doesn't mean you lost the world without this.

Aero isn't removed, on the contrary, Aero is the only theme left making some older stuff incompatible.
The Aero theme is still there, looking at filenames. But it evolved to be less transparent. DWM is still working.

One thing about Aero is that it doesn't like 16bit color modes and that's one good reason they removed them from the graphics list (if you've noticed) being the only theme available.

What is removed: Classic Theme and Basic Theme
As a replacment, we get Aero's kid named AeroLite who displays the basics and hi-contrast versions of the themes.

That's the story or Aero. He didn't died but "changed" identity.

Its true that the theme should be more balanced: with dark borders you don't see some of the black text and that's annoying.
We miss something useful form Win7 here.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Did you like Luna better?

The good old days... nice theme back then, it was exceptional because it had 3 color choices (blue, green, silver) but there was Embedded and Zune official themes as well to fill the extra color gaps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Gone, uglified, whatever.....

I want the SAME transparency as I get in 7, and GOT in the Win 8 CP.

If others don't want it, that's fine.

But I DO, and that should also be fine.

But it isn't. Wonder why?

I can see no VALID reason for its removal.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)
    Acer Aspire Ethos AS8951G 'Super-Laptop'.
    CPU
    Intel Sandy-Bridge i7-2670QM quad-core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 3000HD / Ge-Force GT555M 2 gigs
    Sound Card
    Realtek/5.1 Dolby built-in including speakers.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    18.4" full-HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1024
    Hard Drives
    2x750GB Toshiba internal, 1x500GB Seagate external, 1x2TB Seagate external, 1x640GB Toshiba pocket-drive, 1x640GB Samsung pocket drive.
    PSU
    Stock
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    Air-cooled
    Mouse
    I/R cordless.
    Internet Speed
    Borderline pathetic.
Back