Do you want Aero?

i liked the look of aero, but if taking away transparency and blur lessens the processing load, i'm all for it
But it doesn't.

Of course it doesn't (well, it MIGHT, if you were running a 486....).

That's one of the best pieces of disinformation I've seen re Windows 8.

It's right up there with 'it's unusable with a mouse'.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire Ethos AS8951G 'Super-Laptop'.
    CPU
    Intel Sandy-Bridge i7-2670QM quad-core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 3000HD / Ge-Force GT555M 2 gigs
    Sound Card
    Realtek/5.1 Dolby built-in including speakers.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    18.4" full-HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1024
    Hard Drives
    2x750GB Toshiba internal, 1x500GB Seagate external, 1x2TB Seagate external, 1x640GB Toshiba pocket-drive, 1x640GB Samsung pocket drive.
    PSU
    Stock
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    Air-cooled
    Mouse
    I/R cordless.
    Internet Speed
    Borderline pathetic.
Windows 7 Aero was my favorite OS from MS (and I've been there since the beginning), but I do like the clean, flat look of things in W8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Another thing that bothers me, besides the lack of transprency, is the lack of shadows.

Maybe I'm just old but not having a shadow behind a selected window is not very pleasant on the eyes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z68 D3H-B3
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 Sniper
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 560Ti ES
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    640GB Western Digital
    PSU
    Antec 620w
    Case
    Cooler Master Centurion 5
    Cooling
    Cooler Master 212+
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Optical
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Optical
    Internet Speed
    20Mbps
Another thing that bothers me, besides the lack of transprency, is the lack of shadows.

Maybe I'm just old but not having a shadow behind a selected window is not very pleasant on the eyes.

Yeah this bugs me too. It really does make it look like Windows 3.1 ~ XP. The shadow on the window is a really nice touch I don't know why they had to completely eliminate it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit, Ubuntu 13.04 64-Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 950 @ 3ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus Sabertooth X58
    Memory
    Crucial 6GB DDR3 1066mhz Triple Channel
    Graphics Card(s)
    1GB EVGA GTX 460 SE (Nvidia)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual LG Monitors
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080, 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    80GB Intel 320 Series SSD
    640GB WD Caviar Blue
    320GB WD MyBook (converted to Internal SATA)
    1TB Seagate Barracuda
    PSU
    Corsair 650TX 650w
    Case
    CoolerMaster HAF 922
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110
    Mouse
    Logitech G500
    Internet Speed
    20mbps Down, 2mbps Up
I have both my laptops in front of me as I type this (on the Win 8 machine).

One has Win 8 RTM trial, the other runs Win 7 Ultimate SP1 (was running W8 CP).

AFAIC, there is NO contest, Win 7 is light-years ahead, appearance-wise.

Win 8 looks like Win 7 running on an unsupported GFX card....:-(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)
    Acer Aspire Ethos AS8951G 'Super-Laptop'.
    CPU
    Intel Sandy-Bridge i7-2670QM quad-core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 3000HD / Ge-Force GT555M 2 gigs
    Sound Card
    Realtek/5.1 Dolby built-in including speakers.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    18.4" full-HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1024
    Hard Drives
    2x750GB Toshiba internal, 1x500GB Seagate external, 1x2TB Seagate external, 1x640GB Toshiba pocket-drive, 1x640GB Samsung pocket drive.
    PSU
    Stock
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    Air-cooled
    Mouse
    I/R cordless.
    Internet Speed
    Borderline pathetic.
I have both my laptops in front of me as I type this (on the Win 8 machine).

One has Win 8 RTM trial, the other runs Win 7 Ultimate SP1 (was running W8 CP).

AFAIC, there is NO contest, Win 7 is light-years ahead, appearance-wise.

Win 8 looks like Win 7 running on an unsupported GFX card....:-(

I totally agree. I have a powerful system, I hate that my option to use a pretty theme like in Windows 7 was stripped for the sole purpose of low power tablets having a boon. Guess what MS, having a checkbox to 'enable transparency/blur/aero theme' would do absolutely nothing to battery life, cpu/gpu cycles, or memory if it's left unchecked. So why not have it for us people who have capable machines and don't want the ugly? ._.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit, Ubuntu 13.04 64-Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 950 @ 3ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus Sabertooth X58
    Memory
    Crucial 6GB DDR3 1066mhz Triple Channel
    Graphics Card(s)
    1GB EVGA GTX 460 SE (Nvidia)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual LG Monitors
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080, 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    80GB Intel 320 Series SSD
    640GB WD Caviar Blue
    320GB WD MyBook (converted to Internal SATA)
    1TB Seagate Barracuda
    PSU
    Corsair 650TX 650w
    Case
    CoolerMaster HAF 922
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110
    Mouse
    Logitech G500
    Internet Speed
    20mbps Down, 2mbps Up
I don't know if this is from an update but my main desktop which runs on windows 7 actually has the top menu flattened(the part with File Edit at the top of a window) When you hover over it it's not glossy but a flat background highlight. It's better visually but also in the way some of the things were distributed. Such as the show desktop button because of all the flattening it just looks like a gap in the end of the taskbar.

They should have went with a compromise the excessive flattening doesn't even look appealing while I like the milddle ground in the zune software (of previous versions) this is not happening with the way they've done it here. I think google did better with the middle road to simplicity. Here it's too much. I don't even look at the close, minimize, maximize icons in the same way. Even those buttons look so blah now. While I love the addition of the touch based tablet operating system, everything on the desktop looks bad visually. They just went way far off in one direction.

My Computer

How could MS bring aero back?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro, iOS 7.1, Elementary OS
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Apple
    Memory
    1 GB
    Screen Resolution
    2048x1536
    Other Info
    iPad Air
Today, I was discussing this with my friend who has been testing Windows 8 as long as I have. She is the average person who doesn't really care about this so much and so much about technology and whatnot. She had a laptop of a relative that needs work done, and it's running Windows 7 Pro, we were looking at it, and she commented on how weird Windows 7 looks. We were watching the boot screen, and I said how it's been forever since I saw it. She said how weird things look because of the Aero design with the rounded buttons and light effects and the glassiness of it. I was mildly surprised.

Actually, what surprised me more was when I asked her what she would do if she heard someone say Windows 8 is confusing to use. To my surprise, she would actually call BS on that person and say that they're insane as there isn't anything difficult about it. When I told her that some people have reviewed it as a "cognitive" burden, she responded to that with, "Whhhaaaatttt?!!"

Just a random side note. And no, I don't really care for Aero. I do care more about a beautifully designed metro UI. A well designed metro UI beats any Aero design hands down. I reference the Zune Software. By the way, I don't know if anyone has noticed, but it seems like some of the major apps that have been coming to Windows 8, the developers just don't seem to be grasping the metro design concept very well. There are some real good ones, but overall, most seem more minimalist than anything. I could become an app designer for the Windows 8!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Just a random side note. And no, I don't really care for Aero. I do care more about a beautifully designed metro UI. A well designed metro UI beats any Aero design hands down. I reference the Zune Software. By the way, I don't know if anyone has noticed, but it seems like some of the major apps that have been coming to Windows 8, the developers just don't seem to be grasping the metro design concept very well. There are some real good ones, but overall, most seem more minimalist than anything. I could become an app designer for the Windows 8!

Coke, are you a developer? Have you spent any time studying the Bauhaus design methodology? Have you studied what it takes to implement applications in the Metro (i.e. XAML?). If not, then please be careful about making comments about how much better you would design it. No offense man, but I'm studying it as we speak and as a developer I can tell you it is a steep learning curve. Developers may only be going "minimalist" (as you call it) because they're simply trying to get something out there right now. Developing sharp looking (let alone sophisticated touch-response) applications is very difficult, particularly when you're constantly learning new methodologies. The tools are excellent but my brain is on overload right now trying to ingest the methodology change.

Give the developers (including me) some time to ingest all this. It ain't simple.

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB

Coke, are you a developer? Have you spent any time studying the Bauhaus design methodology? Have you studied what it takes to implement applications in the Metro (i.e. XAML?). If not, then please be careful about making comments about how much better you would design it. No offense man, but I'm studying it as we speak and as a developer I can tell you it is a steep learning curve. Developers may only be going "minimalist" (as you call it) because they're simply trying to get something out there right now. Developing sharp looking (let alone sophisticated touch-response) applications is very difficult, particularly when you're constantly learning new methodologies. The tools are excellent but my brain is on overload right now trying to ingest the methodology change.

Give the developers (including me) some time to ingest all this. It ain't simple.

-Max

I know what you mean...

Design patterns, the testing and development process, not to mention programming!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.

-Max
Oh I'm not saying it's easy, I'm not trying to offend. And yes, I've studied some of the Bauhaus design philosophy. I've also studied how Windows Phone apps are developed, but that's not totally relevant.

I'm more or less saying that knowing a lot of the metro design concept and have used software designed with such for a couple of years now, I think I could render some services helping developers to make a beautifully designed Windows 8 app. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Coke,

What apps would you consider the best that you have seen so far?

From the one's I've used, it's USA Today, Bing Weather (so far the best designed weather app), Cocktail Flow (being the BEST one), Cookbook, Movie Guide, Skype, and SkyDrive (ok example).

I would say that Xbox Music is nicely designed, but it's not. Honestly, the Zune software's UI could had been used for some it. For example, the music library (or collection) screen filtered by artists would had been perfect; you can scroll through on the left side through your artists, scroll through albums by artist in the center, and scroll through songs by artist on the right side. And it would had been better to put in better filtering. The main panorama screen can be kept in Xbox Music, but making it a little more....metro. Some of the UI controls can be taken down a notch as it isn't too difficult to tap or click on them. A better Now Playing visualizer should be used, like Zune's. There just isn't enough of the digital motion, or animation, to Xbox Music like there is with Zune. They're usually subtle and here and there, but it makes the user experience better, at least to me. Xbox Music doesn't offer that. At least YET.

OH! I just remembered, the Tom's Hardware and Guide apps. They're nice, but not totally giving the feeling of immersion. I'd like to see some more full fleshed content mostly. A good way to organize would to break up the different subcategories into a main panorama, where the most recent content is show. Kind of like the way USA Today does it, but different, it would show more per section. I wonder how it would look like too if the different sections of the panorama had photo backgrounds. For example, the Reviews section would have an image from each review article, like an AMD Radeon 7870 review would have that as a relevant image, and those different images would be in a mosaic. The best example I can give is on The Verge's website, where they have the day's top articles and posts in a colored hue mosaic.

If I were to design an app in general, I'd use system accent colors, kind of like how Windows Phone does it. Windows Phone apps that use the system accent color give the overall feeling of everything being integrated. Third party apps feel like native first party ones and such. Windows 8 needs to have some of that I believe.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Oh I'm not saying it's easy, I'm not trying to offend. And yes, I've studied some of the Bauhaus design philosophy. I've also studied how Windows Phone apps are developed, but that's not totally relevant.

I'm more or less saying that knowing a lot of the metro design concept and have used software designed with such for a couple of years now, I think I could render some services helping developers to make a beautifully designed Windows 8 app. :)

No offense taken.

Actually, the way the screen designs are done using XAML this is exactly the design mode that Microsoft is trying to encourage. They have Visual Studio for prototyping and developing the app itself and the "Blend" application for graphic-designers to design the actual appearance of the GUI. The programmers themselves don't necessarily have to be in on the front-end design other than the basic functionality of the app. The graphics designer would then take the app and "pretty it up" using Blend.

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
I wonder if it's easy to learn(probably not) the coding for the apps. The biggest disappointment of the apps comes with xbox music and video, zune software was great(especially a few previous versions) zune HD showed good use of typography and visual cues. Xbox music/video however is a bland and depressing. Gradient grey in the background looks like a prison. The only good thing is the tracking button on the trackbar while in the newest iteration of zune software it's hard to see here it's much easier even though the color is not ideal. Other than that though it doesn't have the fun of the zune software it is replacing(assuming it is supposed to be a replacement). Assuming they are following design principles there is some functionality that needs to be worked on.

My Computer

I wonder if it's easy to learn(probably not) the coding for the apps. The biggest disappointment of the apps comes with xbox music and video, zune software was great(especially a few previous versions) zune HD showed good use of typography and visual cues. Xbox music/video however is a bland and depressing. Gradient grey in the background looks like a prison. The only good thing is the tracking button on the trackbar while in the newest iteration of zune software it's hard to see here it's much easier even though the color is not ideal. Other than that though it doesn't have the fun of the zune software it is replacing(assuming it is supposed to be a replacement). Assuming they are following design principles there is some functionality that needs to be worked on.

Learning to code is never an easy proposition unless you've been doing it for awhile, even then software development done well can be excruciatingly difficult. Oh yeah, a complete newbie could probably follow a tutorial on how to write a "Hello, World" program but the learning curve for a new platform can be steep. Fortunately I've been writing C# for several years. So far I'm just learning how the XAML works for developing the GUI front-end. I'm not entirely sure I'm going to be writing anything of significance for Metro, I'm just studying the methodology behind it right now.

That's not to discourage you from trying it, just be aware that it's like any other discipline. I've been doing it for 36+ years myself.

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
There was once a picture I saw of that describes how a novice game developer thought it would be like, but really what it's like... I wonder if I can find it... :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
What bugs me most about this Aero thing is that there's no technical reason why it had to be removed. If you point at the lower right corner, the Aero Peak function still works and even has different levels of opacity for layered up windows. Even if you pull up the Charms bar and look at the clock it has some subtle transparency to it. I can do without the glass stripes, but I liked the transparency. The blur would be a huge bonus but I'm alright without it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB