Despite Imminent Retirement, More Users Move to Windows XP

Coke, if you have security concerns, you should not use any Windows. For the internet, use Mint Mate like me. It is a really nice system.

I do have security concerns but with what I know about Windows, it's not worth the effort of jumping platforms. Keep a maintained, up to date version of Windows with a very solid interwebs security suite as well as using the WinRT version of IE 11, I'll be quite fine. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Coke, if you have security concerns, you should not use any Windows. For the internet, use Mint Mate like me. It is a really nice system.

whs, if you think any OS including Linux can't be hacked or infected think again. They have and will be. It's just fact that Windows is popular to make it worth the scum's time. Put Linux on more ATMs and elsewhere and we'll see.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1

whs, if you think any OS including Linux can't be hacked or infected think again. They have and will be. It's just fact that Windows is popular to make it worth the scum's time. Put Linux on more ATMs and elsewhere and we'll see.
Sure Linux can be hacked. But fact is that there are a LOT less pieces of malware for Linux than for Windows. And if my virtual Linux maching gets infected, I just roll in a backup folder of the virtual machine and I am back in business in 5 minutes.

Besides, any file I download in Linux I first scan here before I transfer it to the Windows host.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Oh my, I am so poor that it is just sickin' it is all I can do to put together enough money to buy. . .(fill in the blank.:roflmao:

It might be amusing to somebody from USA or some from "rich" countries but I assure you it's not the case in at least half the world. I have donated dozen of my old computers to people that can't afford ANY computer let alone to buy something new just to get away from Win XP. They are still happy to have ANY computer, even with "dead" XP. Two of them are getting internet connection from me (sharing WiFi bandwidth) and I'm not about to stop servicing their machines or helping them either.
I find any discrimination disgusting, including by financial status.

Just a Serb.
Please the old if your not from USA myth is also getting a little long in the tooth.

You come across as arrogant beyond anything that I can measure. Shame on you!

That there are people in the world that do not have the same as you might come as a surprise, but there you go.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Surface Pro 3
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics HD
    Screen Resolution
    2160 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    128GB SSD, 128GB MicroSD
    Internet Speed
    8GB
    Antivirus
    Bitdefender
This is not a good discussion. Please don't let it derail.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Well...if one is concerned with security on their Windows computer the first step would be is not to use MSE and to use another anti-virus program. I would also consider using another firewall and another web browser. And don't forget to add the add ons to you browser such as WOT, NoScript and something like Do Not Track. Next, I would use the live distro , Puppy Linux, loaded on a UBS stick, to boot from, for all my banking needs. That would be the bare basics. Or I could simply go on line with Linux. Remember, if Microsoft hides behind Linux, why shouldn't I? (Microsoft uses Akamai Linux based servers to protect Microsoft.com web site.)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    avast!
There is also the alternative that I prefer - run Windows and Linux together. I have several Linux distros in virtual partitions and one is always running side by side. See here for details. If you want the hyperlinks to work, you need to download the PDF from here.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Actually, whs, I read your guilds and that was what got me going on my way with this 8.1 computer. Virtual is the best way right now because I can try out the distros without dealing with the secure boot etc. Thanks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    avast!
Very good. I am glad I did not write all that stuff for nothing. Always nice to get some feedback.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

Sure Linux can be hacked.
Your next sentence does not fortify this statement whatsover. Hacking to gain entrance and malware are two different entities other than the fact that malware can be one of the tools to hack a system.

But fact is that there are a LOT less pieces of malware for Linux than for Windows.

Thank you. My point exactly. Let’s reverse roles. Let’s say Linux is the most used OS on the planet. Do you think there would be more malware to target Linux? Well, of course. Crooks don’t go to a beach for money to steal. They go to a bank.

And if my virtual Linux maching gets infected, I just roll in a backup folder of the virtual machine and I am back in business in 5 minutes. Besides, any file I download in Linux I first scan here before I transfer it to the Windows host.

You’re running distros via VM within Windows 7. I have to say > I really get a kick out of your justification statements at times. What do either one of these sentences have to do with the subject at hand besides you trying to prove a point that Linux is safer, when in fact it is not. It may be “safer” running in a VM, but it is not bullet proof. Run it in a real machine it is equal to any other OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Thank you. My point exactly. Let’s reverse roles. Let’s say Linux is the most used OS on the planet. Do you think there would be more malware to target Linux?
Nice theory but that's not the way it is right now.

What do either one of these sentences have to do with the subject at hand besides you trying to prove a point that Linux is safer
I think you missed my point. If I had to run XP because I owned programs that I need and run only in XP (or I cannot or don't want to spend the money to upgrade), I would seperate the internet activities via a virtual Linux. That does not make the system 100% bullet proof but it is a lot better than running wide open with a system that is no more being maintained. Matter of degree - nothing is perfect.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Thank you. My point exactly. Let’s reverse roles. Let’s say Linux is the most used OS on the planet. Do you think there would be more malware to target Linux?
Nice theory but that's not the way it is right now.

What do either one of these sentences have to do with the subject at hand besides you trying to prove a point that Linux is safer
I think you missed my point. If I had to run XP because I owned programs that I need and run only in XP (or I cannot or don't want to spend the money to upgrade), I would seperate the internet activities via a virtual Linux. That does not make the system 100% bullet proof but it is a lot better than running wide open with a system that is no more being maintained. Matter of degree - nothing is perfect.

Ok. My misunderstanding. Your running a Linux VM within an XP machine for contact to the Inet, therefore shielding XP. That would decrease the odds of infection due to less malware aimed at Linux. More difficult to hack as well by placing more layers.

Is a VM heavy laden on resources? I have two tabs of Modern/Metro IE, a Word doc, notepad, and Task Manager open and using Defender. It's eating 52% or 1GB of my Ram, which is half. How much more would a VM eat up?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
You define the amount of RAM that you like to allocate to the virtual machine. DSL will run in 256MB and Mint is best in 512MBs. It is also ok with only 1 core. But note, those resources will only be used when it is actually running and doing things. During that time the host is only humming along. For disk space you should figure appr. 10GBs for Mint - nearly half of that is used by VMware Player.

I have all my virtual systems on an external SSD - even 8.1. That way I can attach them to any system. That is as fast as the internal SSD on eSata and nearly as fast on USB3. USB2 works but is a bit slower. Spinners work too but not as good. Even my fastest USB3 stick does not work well. No idea why because it is a lot faster than a spinner (see data below).

For windows 8.1 that is a different story. I give it 3GB and 3 cores. But that is only on my desktops and my biggest laptop.

2014-03-04_1200.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Nice setups, whs. They run leaner than I thought. My system cold handle that I think. I'd like to tinker with that some day. I'm too busy right now. Thanks for sharing. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
As far as 8.1 requiring more resources, I'm not sure yet why this is the case. I certainly see it with server 2012r2. Compared to 2008 and standard 2012, the 2012r2 is really slow. At least under vmware workstation 10.

Vms can be very lean. I usually give them between 512 and 2gb. The beauty is you can start then lie and just raise them off you need to, unlike a physical computer.

I use a ton of vms. Between work and personal exploration and training classes and labs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Nice setups, whs. They run leaner than I thought. My system cold handle that I think. I'd like to tinker with that some day. I'm too busy right now. Thanks for sharing. :)

When you get to it and need more info, let me know. I'll make you a custom tut.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
HippsieGypsie,

What is using all of your RAM? Now I do know 8.1 eats resources like popcorn, but I switched to 8.1 to compare. I am only using 564 mb of RAM with the following...Firefox (with add on's), I have 6 tabs open and one tab is youtube listening to an album. Opened up the Task Manager and Notepad. Now my firewall is ZoneAlarm and I use avast! So perhaps Firefox and avast! use less resources? Interesting.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    avast!
I meant to answer straightway, but got busy with other things.

With nothing open and idling my RAM runs at about 35-40%. I sign into my PC with a MS account using Defender, native firewall, and Office 2013 Pro, so there are many background and Windows processes that run. 18 background and 26 Windows to be exact.

MS Windows Search Indexer is a heavy in background processes at 13MB. All the others run at roughly 4-5MB average depending on activity.

In Windows processes Services run at about 110MB. Windows Explorer at 32MB. Defender at 18MB. Desktop Manager at 14MB. All the others average at roughly 6MB each.

Windows 7 ran a little higher than this with gadgets. They ate a lot. Glad to get rid of them.

Why do you ask? Do you think this is high?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
HippsieGypsie

No, you are more than likely about right on. What I was trying to figure out was how you were running 64 bit on 1 GB of RAM. But, your spec's do state 2, so I got my question answered. I know with this system that I have 42 processes right now running in the background plus the two active, one being the virtual machine. And yes, running a virtual machine does use a bit of RAM. But please remember, I have not tweaked this machine and um I can get lazy and look at it like this...can I up the RAM? Yes? Good...easy fix. Sometimes the pain ain't worth the gain. Also, if it ain't broke...leave it alone.

And when you are ready to try virtual, I know whs will get you going right. Read his stuff on that, and it got me up and running.

And please, at least to me, you don't have to apologize for "life's issues". We all have them, and we get back when we can.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    avast!
And when you are ready to try virtual, I know whs will get you going right
You bet and I am glad you got up and going.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Back