Despite Imminent Retirement, More Users Move to Windows XP

XP is certainly not buggy. It is refined. It is also not more prone to virus attacks. It might be in the future since no more support, if no 3rd party firewall or any antivirus installed at all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Pentium D 925 3.0 GHz socket 775, Presler @ ~ 3.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Hyundai 2 GB DDR2 @ 333 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS DirectCU II HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5 Radeon HD 7790 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    stock Gateway cooling, extra large fan in rear of case
    Keyboard
    Alienware/Microsoft Internet kb
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Optimum Online, fast for US
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky integrated into ZoneAlarm+Antivirus
For those who have not been informed, Microsoft has extended XP's support of MSE till June 15 2015.

Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows XP Updates Until July 2015

Now as to not needing an anti-virus with 8.1, well 8.1 along with 8, does come with MSE, however how good is it? Read the thread here testing MSE. But please remember, even Microsoft recommends you use a third party anti-virus.

Goodbye Microsoft Security Essentials: Microsoft Now Recommends You Use a Third-Party Antivirus
Microsoft Admits That Third-Party Antivirus Is More Effective Than MSE

My opinion on the "metro" start screen? Sorry I like a clean desktop. I like the ability to choose what my desktop looks like and how it behaves. Tiles are for kiddie computers. Works great there to teach toddlers how to use a computer. Although I have to admit, they are more computer savvy then some people I know. And for business? They do not want the tiles, either. Touch Screen? Fine for kiddies but again, for business? Not practical. I myself do not want fingerprints on my screen and then again, for what I use a computer for, not practical. All the metro screen does is takes up space that I could put to better use. And as with all Microsoft products, I can not eliminate what I have no need for.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    avast!
Just a note about XP . . . .

My employer, a Fortune 500 company, has decreed that all XP machines are to be disconnected from the company network in the next several weeks. They will all be replaced with newer Windows 7 machines.

Bye.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    White Box DIY
    CPU
    i7-5960X
    Motherboard
    ASRock X99M Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 760
    Hard Drives
    Plextor 512GB M.2 SSD
    Seagate 6TB HDD

My employer, a Fortune 500 company, has decreed that all XP machines are to be disconnected from the company network in the next several weeks. They will all be replaced with newer Windows 7 machines.

Bye.
Another case where Windows 8.1 looses out. And it's such a nice system - as some say.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

Bye.

It's a safe bet, no doubt.

They're only shooting themselves in the foot once MS hits day one with the unified store and phones. WP8.1 is getting some much needed enterprise features. Tablets on 8.x are already worlds better than deploying a 7 desktop and separate ipad.

Just terrible. I'd hate to be part of managing that expense for any company.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, i5 2500K overclocked PC
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4gb Surface Pro, 8gb PC
Why do people love to forget that part of the reason why businesses are moving to 7 or stubbornly sticking with XP, is their Software? That Software, which they use and need to run their business, originally cost them, shall we say, "big bucks". And guess what? As with most of all Microsoft New OS's, the new OS does not accept/support old software. Where are they to go?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    avast!
Why do people love to forget that part of the reason why businesses are moving to 7 or stubbornly sticking with XP, is their Software? That Software, which they use and need to run their business, originally cost them, shall we say, "big bucks". And guess what? As with most of all Microsoft New OS's, the new OS does not accept/support old software. Where are they to go?

Plus the cost for training all the end users. If you have 60.000 end users like e.g. the city of Berlin that are sitting on XP, you are talking big money - especially since many of those city employees are, lets say, conservative.

The city of Munich changed the OS a while ago. They were radical and moved to Linux. It was a 2 year project that cost many millions. But at the end they saved big bucks too and are still saving every year to come.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Like I say, there are some advantages to Win8 in the corporate environment.
However, I would also say, and I think I have,, maybe not, Win8 is somewhat better suited to the consumer side for now.
I can see way corporations would not adopt Win8 and still use Win7. And honestly there is nothing wrong with that.
It would not mean Win8 was a failure. Consumers can drive that as much as Corporations can.
The failure comes from so many deriding Win8 just by it's new looks and appeal,
without actually getting to know, and learning how to use it properly.

Corporations, should still have a lab of testing going on with Win8 to learn how they can properly utilize it in their Environment.

I know the following is available in Win7, but my understanding is, it has been improved in Win8.
VDI is getting more utilization, but Windows To Go could be implemented for people who travel a lot.
Windows 8.1 - What's New, IT Pro Features, Devices, UI | TechNet

There is a lot of potential in Win8.x ,,, some of it, there in Win7 as well, but again, much improved and many additions over Win7.
I don't think many IT Dept's actually utilize Windows in general to it's full potential on many fronts. Never really have.

People really should get past their petty differences over Win8.x and actually learn about it.
They might be surprised to find that they might actually like it.

Getting started tutorials for Windows - Microsoft Windows

More info on the enterprise side....
Windows 8.1 - Free Download, ISO, Support, Guide, Help | TechNet

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
Tepid, we can talk all day praising the virtues of 8.1 - fact is that people are not buying. And I don't expect that to change - even not with the freebie they are trying to launch now. Let's hope they do a better job with 9.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I wish this section allowed rep points. Won't bother people with PM's. Sure are some disparaging comments towards XP people. I could care less what OS someone else uses as long as mine works. :p

Now, business use is something different.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Generic PnP Display on Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.
Tepid, we can talk all day praising the virtues of 8.1 - fact is that people are not buying. And I don't expect that to change - even not with the freebie they are trying to launch now. Let's hope they do a better job with 9.

I think MS added insult to injury with the botched store upgrade to 8.1. Just think of the thousands of people that bought new PC the latter half of 2013 and especially through the Holiday Season and most were most likely preloaded with Windows 8. I purchased my new HP Desktop in Dec. of 2013. The retail outlets were promoting the free upgrade to 8.1 and MS was overly promoting the upgrade and making it very easy. Wonderful, all these folks with 6 months old equipment and many more with brand new equipment did the store upgrade and crash. I don't think there are very many that made it through the upgrade with ZERO problems while most had issues from minor to major. I really sympathize with the average users that did not know how to fix the issues. Just look at the problems seen on this forum alone and the HP Support Forum is flooded with 8.1 upgrade problems. I dare say the average user doesn't even know much about driver updates and those are some of the easiest things to fix and not to mention how the 8.1 upgrade compromised the Refresh and Recovery options. I think some manufacturers were more prepared than others and I think it was also model specific. I upgraded my new HP Desktop immediately after making the Recovery Disks and spent some time making sure everything was as up-to-date as possible prior to the download. My system took to it very well but I am still working through some errors but nothing significant and no BSOD issues or anything close to what I have been reading about but I will most likely do a clean install of 8.1 in the not too distant future.

My 12yo PC Pentium 4 1.6 has always been on XP with all the SP's and updates and I maxed it out over the years with additional internal HDD, max memory, twin CD/DVD Read/Writers and more but there was nowhere to go forward and it is now my backup, sitting right next to my new Desktop. I had used XP and everything that preceded it but never had any exposure to Vista or Seven and only a couple of days using Windows 8 and from my experience 8.1 is so far ahead of XP it is not worth comparing. And YES, I almost exclusively use the desktop:D.

Bottom Line: MS had enough issues with Windows 8, especially with 7 users but they totally bottomed out with the 8.1 upgrade and the way they did it. It's no wonder the reputation of Windows 8 is in the trash.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 64, LT -Windows 10 Home 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP 500-075 Desktop + HP 15-f018dx Laptop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2 GHz Quad Core/ LT - i3-4030U 1.9 GHz
    Motherboard
    Foxcon Joshua-H61-uATX
    Memory
    8 GB/ LT - 6GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD (DX10.1)
    Sound Card
    Integrated IDT 92HD73E
    Hard Drives
    1T HDD, 16G Sandisk Cache Drive, 2T Seagate 3.0 External
    Keyboard
    Wireless
    Mouse
    Wireless
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton 360
    Other Info
    CyberPower UPS, Macrium Backup, Revo Pro, Malwarebytes Premium
LOL! What a coincidence! I was visiting the grandson today. He showed me his new riding dinosaur toy. I asked him "Is that your new friend?" "Yes" he said. "What's his name?" I asked. "XP!" he shouted. "XP? Why XP? I asked. "Dah, Grandpa! Short for Expired! Because he's so old!"

I just had to take a pic. :D

Dinosaur.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I still run XP in some older rigs, but it wouldnt make sense to have it in my newer systems.

For my computer activities I use:
Windows 8.1 Pro ~ 70%
Windows 7 Ult ~ 15%
Windows XP ~ 10%
Ubuntu 13.10 ~ 5%

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10.0.10122
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    My Build - Vorttex Ultimate
    CPU
    Core i7 @ 4500 MHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-Plus
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 @ 1822 MHz (OC)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon R9 280X 3GB @ 1180 / 6800 MHz
    Sound Card
    7.1 HDA
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD LG 22" + CRT LG 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1760 x 1320 / 1280 x 960
    Hard Drives
    1 x 240 GB SSD (System)
    3 x 500 GB HDD (Data/Media)
    1 x 2000 GB e-HDD (Backup)
    PSU
    ThermalTake 1000W PSU
    Case
    Corsair Carbide R300
    Cooling
    Corsair H60 (Push-Pull)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps (Down) 5 Mbps (Up)
    Browser
    IE, FF, Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG Internet Security 2015
    Other Info
    Some wired stuff
HippsieGypsie, if you really want to show your grandson a picture of a "dinosaur" show him an ATM machine. With 95% of the world's ATM's still running XP, it should not be too difficult to find one to show that XP has not expired, yet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    avast!
Now I know why all these people were camping arount the ATM machines. They are waiting for April when the machine spits out all the money, LOL.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Must be statistical error. Who would today move from W2000 or ME to XP? Especially in numbers outweighing the people leavin XP.
And did those people have legit XP licences laying around just to wait to install XP right before support ends?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro 64
    CPU
    Core i3 3.3 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB 1600 MHz
    Hard Drives
    SSD Samsung 830 128 GB
Statistics is when you gather data to prove a predefined result.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I have a 16 year old car that runs wonderfully. I love it despite the 'old technology'.

I also have a 1 year old car with all the modern gizmos you can think of. I hate it even with the prestigious star in the front. I am on page 257 of the 583 page user manual. I wonder what all the things are I will discover next. And I have not even touched the 262 page user manual for the radio.
I have a 24 year 3 month and 4 day old car that I still service and work on and runs just fine. It does not have airbags and that's fine by me. I've read through the whole owner's manual front to back.

But I still like some modern gizmos like electronic traction control and limited slip differentials.

But I don't like old operating systems very prone to malware to be still used by people that do online banking. My credit union still uses Windows xp....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
whs,

Wow...Thank-you for reminding me. With card in hand I shall stand in front of the ATM and plan...

And now on a more serious note, according to Chase, only 15% of their ATM's will be updated by April...to Windows Seven. From what I have been reading, Businesses are going with Seven, not Eight. What does that say?

Actually, it is the businesses who are holding on to XP
Windows XP won't die without a fight | Microsoft - CNET News

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Inspiron
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    avast!
whs,

Wow...Thank-you for reminding me. With card in hand I shall stand in front of the ATM and plan...

And now on a more serious note, according to Chase, only 15% of their ATM's will be updated by April...to Windows Seven. From what I have been reading, Businesses are going with Seven, not Eight. What does that say?

Actually, it is the businesses who are holding on to XP
Windows XP won't die without a fight | Microsoft - CNET News

That businesses and enterprise aren't going to reinvest tens of millions of dollars in IT to reevaluate their whole plans of mitigation that some have spent literally since the release of Windows 7 JUST because there is a new version out....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Back