Can't restore Windows 8 64-bit

No worries thanks Wynona.
And yeh my laptop is an Asus, and I've still got it with me over the weekend so if there's anything I can try I'm up for it.
Otherwise on Monday I should be getting it sent off.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
I'm running a Windows 8 recovery disc off of a USB

Do you see this screen?

OEM Recovery 001 theog.PNG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Hi Theog,
Nah mate I don't see the "OEM recovery solutions" only the other three options.
And if I go into the refresh or reset option, it says to "choose an operating system" but there is not a selection available.
Same if I go into Advanced options, I have the cmd prompt but the other options don't work (restore, etc).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus
This is why you should always make OEM Recovery disks.

You can order the Microsoft official OEM Recovery disks from the ASUS OEM manufacturer's website.
Essentio Recovery Software

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Alright fellas out of my hands now. Just sent the laptop away.
For the record, Post #21 is the state the laptop ended up in.

See what the outcome is over the next few weeks, I'll let you know how it all turns out.
Thanks for everyone's help. I'll definitely be floating around here more often once I get it returned fixed, be awesome to learn more what I can about the OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus
I was reading thru this thread and had a question that those more expert than me might be able to answer:

Beast100 reset his UEFI to disable so he could boot from his USB drive, then later tried following the directions to re-install (the system was still set with UEFI in disable) - should he have tried to enable UEFI, then follow the directions? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the UEFI setting makes a difference (or it's the mind playing tricks on an old man)......

Thanks,
Frank

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS CM6870-us012s
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3770
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK CM6870 Rev. X.0x
    Memory
    16 GB DDR3 at 1333 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GT630 2GB
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP 2207 22" LCD monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    1 Toshiba 2 TB, SATA 6GB/s
    16-1 Card Reader:
    Compact Flash USB Device
    MS/MS-Pro Device
    SD/MMC Device
    SM/xD Picture Device
    PSU
    350 W Peak
    Case
    ASUS
    Keyboard
    IBM PS/2
    Mouse
    Microsoft Infrared USB
    Internet Speed
    12 Mb down, 1.5 Mb up
    Browser
    IE 11, FireFox
    Antivirus
    Avast - Free
    Other Info
    Blu-ray Disk Combo
    2 USB 3.0, 2 USB 2.0 front; 4 USB 2.0, 2 USB 3.0 back
    Video output: 1 DVI-D, 1 HDMI-Out, 1 VGA (D-Sub)-Out
    LAN: wired (10/100/1000) and wireless (802.11 b/g/n)
Hi Fallen,
Yeah mate if you mean the settings I initially changed in the BIOS to get my USB to boot, those were simply what I had changed as I put in the first post in this thread.

The entire time after I had these issues with the laptop I thought these settings may have had something to do with the results I was getting, however I am far from experienced enough to confirm that (I don't even know what UEFI means haha).

But before I did the system restore from the cmd prompt in safe mode, I did revert the settings back to boot normally.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus
Alright all, I'm BACK!
Recieved my laptop back a few hours ago, so I've just started installing some programs and getting it personalized again.

Okay so, now that it's been completely reset:

1. What should I make so next time the recovery process should be a bit smoother.
Something about OEM recovery disks or something, backups? any help would be great!

2. I'll also be looking to install Linux on my laptop (Asus R501V) if possible.

3. I've just looked at how my drives have been partitioned:
OS (C: ) 279GB
Data (D: ) 398GB
Why is Data so big? It was like that previously but I'm just wondering. And I'm good to install onto that drive aren't I?

Thanks. :party:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus
Alright all, I'm BACK!

Welcome back, Mr. Beast!

Recieved my laptop back a few hours ago, so I've just started installing some programs and getting it personalized again.

I do hope your experience was better than mine! I got mine back without the hard drive connected and Win 8 had not been properly installed; I was told I had to buy a new key to get going again! After giving the nice man from India a hard time; he was really a great guy, we did a recovery and I was good to go. Seems as how all the HP repairman did was to change out the hard drive without hooking it up . . .

1. What should I make so next time the recovery process should be a bit smoother.
Something about OEM recovery disks or something, backups? any help would be great!

2. I'll also be looking to install Linux on my laptop (Asus R501V) if possible.

3. I've just looked at how my drives have been partitioned:
OS (C: ) 279GB
Data (D: ) 398GB
Why is Data so big? It was like that previously but I'm just wondering. And I'm good to install onto that drive aren't I?

Thanks. :party:

You should have received a manual with your laptop when you bought it. Instructions on making a set of recovery DVDs should be in there. However, most of the guys and gals use the free version of Macrium to make an image of their computers.

If you want to create the disk in Windows, run your mouse down to the bottom left of your screen and you'll see your "start screen" button. Click on that and then start to type: create a recovery . . . Nothing will happen or you'll be told Windows doesn't have an app for that, so you slide your mouse up to the top right and click on "settings" and among other things, "Create a Recovery Disk" will pop up. Follow the yellow brick road . . .

It would seem to me that you can split the Data disk up into two 200 GB (or thereabouts) drives and put Linux on one of the partitions. Just guessing here, since I haven't attempted a dual boot with an already pre-installed Windows 8.

I got my dual boot 'structions from howtogeek.com (almost as useful as these eight forums and tutorials). They have instructions on dual booting with different flavors of Linux. I keep saying I'm gonna try it one of these days . . .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
information   Information

We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Media Creator app the first day you had your new PC.
& made the Startup Repair CD.
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5132-recovery-drive-create-usb-flash-drive-windows-8-a.html
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2855-system-repair-disc-create-windows-8-a.html

You can make a Microsoft Recovery USB Drive
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5132-recovery-drive-create-usb-flash-drive-windows-8-a.html
warning   Warning
Deleting the Recovery Partition is NOT RECOMMENDED

warning   Warning
I personally DO NOT RECOMMEND using this METHOD above, as of the ERRORS you may receive below with the Microsoft Recovery USB Drive.You would be best off using the OEM manufacturer's Recovery DVD's or Recovery USB drive.

I would recommend you making the OEM manufacturer's Recovery DVD's or USB drive.
or
You can order the Microsoft official OEM Recovery disks from the OEM manufacturer's website.
You can order the Microsoft official HP/Compaq OEM Recovery disks from the HP/Compaq OEM manufacturer's website.
https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc...dlc=en&lc=en&os=4132&product=5309543&sw_lang=

The Windows Recovery USB drive & Recovery Partition can be very problematic, I recommend you also make a Windows System Image.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8956-system-image-create-windows-8-a.html

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2855-system-repair-disc-create-windows-8-a.html

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorial...overy-restore-image-computer-windows-8-a.html

or
look for a 3rd party ,Backup software, which fully supports Windows 8/8.1, uEFI, GPT & Secure Boot.
Which is signed by Microsoft.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
I would recommend you making the OEM manufacturer's Recovery DVD's or USB drive.
or
You can order the Microsoft official OEM Recovery disks from the OEM manufacturer's website.
You can order the Microsoft official HP/Compaq OEM Recovery disks from the HP/Compaq OEM manufacturer's website.
https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc...dlc=en&lc=en&os=4132&product=5309543&sw_lang=

The Windows Recovery USB drive & Recovery Partition can be very problematic, I recommend you also make a Windows System Image.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorial...overy-restore-image-computer-windows-8-a.html

or
look for a 3rd party ,Backup software, which fully supports Windows 8/8.1, uEFI, GPT & Secure Boot.
Which is signed by Microsoft.

Thank you very much, Theo. Much better info than I gave. :) And very good information to put into my "notebook" on Windows 8 and 8.1 which I'm not going to install yet. I think I'm going to wait until the bugs are worked out first. :what:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Cheers for the help guys.
I'm going to buy some DVD-R (or +R)??? discs tomorrow, and then start looking at creating these recovery discs, burn system images, etc.
I'm also currently attempting to install an older version of Linux onto my old Windows 7 laptop, so I can get a feel of the general process.

I also noticed Asus hasn't supplied I guess a program or whatever to use to create the OEM recovery discs on my laptop...?

After I've put together the discs for Windows 8 and the current system and I'm okay with it, then that will be I suppose the end of the thread :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus
Okay all, I was going to make a new thread but thought I may aswell keep this post in here, for future reference.

1. I've been researching what discs to create (with theog's recommendations in post #50), going to buy some DVD+R's tomorrow and create and follow these:

My question is - I've seen it mentioned to "Create OEM recovery discs."
However, Asus (as far as I can see on my laptop) has not provided a recovery disk program as such.
Even in the manual it states to use "AI Recovery Burner," which I don't have. ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Troubleshooting A53E
Will creating at least one of the discs from the above links/guides cover this problem in the future [Eg. work the same as what the "OEM recovery disc" would have been (if that makes sense)]?

Could I also go (As Wynona mentioned in post #49) to "Create a system recovery drive," and follow that through, or is this something different? (Like I said, My Computer only shows the (OS) C: and (Data)D: drives) So with that said - 2. Should there already be a "Recovery" partition shown, or is that what this option is for?
And after all of this I'll look to split the 400GB Data drive as that one has nothing in it for Linux later on.
Edit: Upon further reading, I'm supposed to shrink the C: with the OS on it for Linux?

If it helps, I've attached a screenshot from inside "Disk Management."

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Partitions.png
    Partitions.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 109

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus
Beast, you already have a recovery partition, which is the "600 MB Healthy (Recovery Partition). I don't know how this recovery partition works, but maybe someone else can explain it to us.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't create a "recovery drive" on the computer itself . . . it would be useless if, for instance, you couldn't boot the computer. I suggested in post 49 that you "might" be able to use part of "D" for your Linux installation. :eek: You'll have to get clear and concise instructions on how to do this, as I said. Also, this is a completely different animal than recovery.

Forget everything I said about recovery :eek: and follow Theo's instructions; that's your best route.

Y'know, maybe you should start a thread (or search for one) on partitioning your hard drive for Linux.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
ASUS now have a recovery .app

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/32122-create-factory-restore-disc.html#post286310

awindowsdummy said:
Update: I e-mailed ASUS support and they gave me a Windows program to do it. Thanks!

http://www.asus.com/supportonly/ASUS_Backtracker/#support_Download_36

ASUS said:
Using the Support DVD to restore system recovery.

About the Support DVD :
The Support DVD includes an image of the operating system, installed on your system at the factory.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
THIS IS INSANE!!!!!!! :mad:
I was on my laptop fine an hour ago working on it. Then I shut it down to come back home and I've turned it back on, it does some windows update or whatever and now says:
"Configuring Windoes features
100% complete
Do not turn off your computer"
It's been sitting here for at least 30mins and of course I've turned it off and on again but it goes to this EXACT screen.

Edit: okay whilst I was typing this on my iPhone it has just logged in. Is there ANY reasons why these updates take so long and put my stress levels into overdrive...?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus
:dinesh:

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows8 upgraded to 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus S550CA
    CPU
    Intel Core i3-3217U CPU@1.80 GHz
    Memory
    6GB
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky Internet Security 2014
^ Welcome mate,

It is usually recommended to start a new thread, because otherwise the problem gets mucked up by all previous posts.

As you've said, Kaspersky may be giving you issues. If you would like an alternative AV program, try Defender (built-in) or Avast!.
:note:NOTE! you have to first completely remove all previous antivirus products before installing new ones. To remove Kaspersky, you might give this tool a try after manually removing it in control panel: Service articles

If you would prefer to keep Kaspersky, that is fine, but this person doesn't recommend that particular antivirus product based off of what I've heard others say about it. It works for some, but not others (can also cause crashes here or there).

Let us know if you encounter any other issues by starting a new thread in the appropriate forum. Cheers!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3820 CPU OC @ 3.80GHz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1.Assassin2