Can't restore Windows 8 64-bit

Okay it has just restarted and come up saying:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer"

File: \Windows\system32\winload.efi
Info: The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors."

I don't have the installation disc, Pressing Esc takes me to the BIOS screen.
Hmmm.... Any ideas?

Edit: Also holding F9 on boot and pressing F8 no longer allows me to get into safe mode, the same message as above appears ^^^

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
Hmmm.... Any ideas?

Yes. Now its time to try a factory restore by following the instructions starting with F9 but stay on track as advised by your manual and the screenshots that were previously provided.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
Hmmm.... Any ideas?

Yes. Now its time to try a factory restore by following the instructions starting with F9 but stay on track as advised by your manual and the screenshots that were previously provided.

Yeah F9 on boot, then F8 to get into safe mode doesn't work anymore.
I'm currently running a Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool, no idea what this is or what it's doing haha I just pressed Enter on it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus
Please read the instructions from the previous screenshot;

Are you doing "exactly" what it instructs you to do? if you think you are, then please tell us you exact steps and what exactly happens after each step. You will need to do this or I cannot help you any further with your issue because what you are saying is happening is not what I expected to happen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
Please read the instructions from the previous screenshot;

Are you doing "exactly" what it instructs you to do? if you think you are, then please tell us you exact steps and what exactly happens after each step. You will need to do this or I cannot help you any further with your issue because what you are saying is happening is not what I expected to happen.

Sorry mate, I'll update you:
- So like I said, I did the restore command in the cmd prompt, it all seemed to go well, until it restarted my laptop, and came up with that message I posted in post #21.
- From there if I did nothing on the screen after roughly 20secs it shut itself down.
- Power back on, hold F9. I have the option of pressing F8 to go to the Safe mode options - this brings me back to the error message; or
- I press Tab to get to the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool option, to which I just pressed Enter because I wasn't sure what else to do.

It's currently at 83% complete, once that's done I'll post the results, and hopefully I'll be able to begin following the instructions from the manual.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus
Hmmm yeah I'm not the best with computers but like I said just want to get it up and running in a normal state again.
Well I decided yesterday to get it sent it, it's under warranty so that should be all good.
Any ideas what the problem is in the first place? Like I said it started with the automatic repair loop randomly a few days ago. After tons of research and countless restarts I still couldn't fix it haha :/

Join the crowd of two of us now . . . I bought an HP desktop and got into some trouble, so decided to "recover" it. I did make the recovery disks. Also, there was a way to "recover" on the hard drive. I tried that first, but it didn't work, so then I tried the recovery disks. Each time it got to 57% (Disk 3) and quit on me. I would click OK and it tried to reboot, but couldn't.

By the end of the day, my HP could see neither my HDD nor my DVD drive. So, like you, I finally gave up and sent it back to HP under warranty. It's been gone for two days now, and I don't expect to see it again for a couple of weeks, based on repair time estimate and shipping time.

Thankfully, though, it's under warranty and won't cost me anything.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Diagnostics finished.
EXACT same error message has come up.
I can:
Enter - OS Selection
Esc - UEFI Firmware Settings

OS Selection takes me to:
Microsoft Windows -> Takes me back to error message
Windows Memory Diagnostic -> Same thing I just completed.

UEFI Firmware Settings -> Takes me to BIOS screen

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus
Sorry but that is not what the manual says should happen if one follows the recovery steps to do a factory restore. Unfortunately, I have no idea where this process is going wrong for you. Maybe someone else would be in a better position to continue with assistance here. Good luck my friend.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel G2020
    Motherboard
    ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0
    Memory
    8GBs @ 1333 MHz
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 EVO
    PSU
    400w
    Internet Speed
    57/11
Diagnostics finished.
EXACT same error message has come up.
I can:
Enter - OS Selection
Esc - UEFI Firmware Settings

OS Selection takes me to:
Microsoft Windows -> Takes me back to error message
Windows Memory Diagnostic -> Same thing I just completed.

UEFI Firmware Settings -> Takes me to BIOS screen

In the UEFI, do you see your HDD and DVD drives? I'm just wondering how similar our problems are, since neither of us succeeded in getting back up and running. Read that: Can we blame it on Windows 8 or 8.1? :sarc:

Once you start going in circles, something has gone desperately wrong with your computer. Hopefully, you have a backup one to use if you decide to go ahead and send it in under warranty.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 8570D
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 23"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    1 TB
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave K350
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Fast
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
In the UEFI, do you see your HDD and DVD drives? I'm just wondering how similar our problems are, since neither of us succeeded in getting back up and running. Read that: Can we blame it on Windows 8 or 8.1? :sarc:

Once you start going in circles, something has gone desperately wrong with your computer. Hopefully, you have a backup one to use if you decide to go ahead and send it in under warranty.

How do I check if I can see them? I don't think so though, under boot options there's only Windows Boot Manager.
I just want to get back into Safe mode haha :(

Edit: no other options? I really have no idea what else can be possibly done from here. Just packed it up ready to be sent away :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus
Nothing else to do here fellas?

David mentioned doing the complete factory reset (which I'm more than happy to do at this stage) just unsure as to whether that is even possible now in my case?

Thanks guys.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus
If you can see what you have got in the sources folder on the usb, you can probably use command prompt to quick format the windows partition and apply the image. There are likely several split wim files in there. I managed it with a sony image. I have no idea if that would cause any difficulty with your warranty.

It is worth checking you can see everything form the boot media. Cmd prompt, type notepad > notepad appears>FILE>SAVE ( select all files in the dropdown ) and you can use that to navigate around. You will also see from that what your drive letters are (as seen from the recovery environment).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Sorry dude I'm really confused - I've just plugged my usb into a working laptop and it doesn't have any "wim" files, just an "MBR" file and the recovery disc iso.
I've also got another recovery disc iso, if I remember correctly that may have had "wim" files on it, but that iso let me get access to the laptop from linux, I could backup my data from there. It allowed me to attempt automated repairs, backup files, etc within the Linux OS I suppose it was.
The current iso on the USB allows me to boot from it to the Windows recovery options, where none of them work. The CMD prompt is there but not sure what I can do from within that.

But yeah as the laptop currently is, I honestly just don't know how to get to anywhere within it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus
You are booting an iso from usb?

Usually the contents of the iso are extracted onto the usb.

The oem usb recovery drive normally looks like this:

usb1.jpg
Inside the sources folder, something like this, tho it is possible to have a single Install.wim instead of several .swm files:

usb2.jpg

If you have another working machine, your best bet is to make a bootable usb as above.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
The CMD prompt is there but not sure what I can do from within that.

I just posted at least one thing you can do from cmd prompt :confused:

SIW2

At Cmd prompt, type notepad > notepad appears>FILE>SAVE ( select all files in the dropdown ) and you can use that to navigate around

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
^^ Yeah mate I saw you said that, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with that info. I'm at the point where I'm just exhausted from this whole issue. Learnt alot about the Windows OS in the process though haha.

It's being sent off within the next hour or so hopefully. Apparently won't return for another 2 weeks but I will update in here on the outcome and if I hear any feedback on the issue. Thanks for everyone's help!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
Yeah thanks David, that was one of the original tutorials I saw upon joining these forums.
Nothing I could find that could help with my case.

And yeah I've still got the laptop, they didn't pick it up today.. :/
Willing to try absolutely anything to reset it, haven't got much time at the moment but if anyone has further ideas I'm more than willing to try. Otherwise I'll be hoping to get it into get fixed within the next 3-4 days.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus
I've read that people have a lot of problems with HP computers.
Maybe they will explain how it got broke & how they fixed it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
How do I check if I can see them? I don't think so though, under boot options there's only Windows Boot Manager.
I just want to get back into Safe mode haha :(

Edit: no other options? I really have no idea what else can be possibly done from here. Just packed it up ready to be sent away :(

I'm sorry, I had to make a run to a client's house and fix his computer and couldn't get back to you in a timely manner.

I'm going to go back and read over your original post and then read the responses. Then I'll read my thread too to see if there's any comparison, which at this point I doubt.

I will say, though, that I understand your frustration because by the time I had contacted HP, I really just wanted to pitch the thing out the window and build myself one that is dependable. :( Or go back to this ancient (over 5 years old) self-built that's never given me problem one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion 500-056
    CPU
    Memory
    8 GB