Cannot access all startup items in Windows 8

Let's have a closer look.

Open Autoruns > Click File | Save > Right click the autoruns.arn file > Click Send to Compressed Folder > attach it so I can look.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise
Everything looks completely normal to me, with the exception of HotSpot Shield. A BHO is listed as not found. This might indicate the program is damaged. However, if it functions as you say, than nothing to worry about.

An important note about Windows 8 and newer programs. They are designed to run as services with no startup entries. This is to help protect them from malware. So for programs like Norton & Hotspot Shield & many others you will not see startup items listed in task manager.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise
If that is true regarding the services, that would make sense. But I have never heard of that and I have seen screenshots of others startup tabs and all of their programs are listed. Moreover, in Windows 7 and everything prior, there would be a service and startup entry for the program, so why even bother having the startup tab then if nothing is supposed to be there?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
The reason is simple, programmers are always looking for ways to improve things. Over the years many people have learned better techniques to help optimize their code, including Microsoft. Unfortunately, Microsoft has several million customers it has to entertain, including a large number of International Businesses which take ages to catch up. For this they are forced to provide flexibility in terms of how to make things operate. The startup tab happens to be one of them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise
Back