Solved BSOD driver_irql_not_less_or_equal amdsbs.sys

Solved it by using instructions. /Name:"Windows 8 Consumer Preview" obviously didn't work, so my 13-year brother advised to try using Index:1. That worked like magic! :)

So:
1. Download the Image. — it's the original MSDN windows 8 professional retail.
2. Burn to a flash drive using Microsoft windows 7 usb-dvd tool.
3. Follow instructions:
All Fixed :)

Performed the following:
mkdir C:\mount
Dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:L:\install.wim /Index:1 /MountDir:C:\mount (mount install.wim from flash drive L to local directory on disk C)

Use the Windows Search Feature and Search for "amdsbs"

Replace all amdsbs.sys files with the version from the Development Preview (you will need to change permissions/take ownership of files:
MountDir\Windows\System32\Drivers
MountDir\Windows\Winsxs
MountDir\Windows\System32\Driverstore\FileReposito ry

Dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:C:\Mount /Commit (Some people had to kill explorer.exe to do this as it kept locking the file. I did non need it)

Did this for both Install.wim and Boot.wim, no bluescreen on AMD RAID/AHCI now.

Update: no, that didn't work. I will try replacing this file while working under IDE mode.
Any instructions on how to get back to IDE mode if i switch my windows to AHCI not (through regedit)?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Bsod windows 8
I know this is gonna sound stupid, but I have no clue what any of this means, I get the same error upon start-up of my hp envy h8-1450... I can't even get to the user log in... it just automatically gives me a bsod and restarts, then repeats endlessly... tryed reinstalling os with system recovery and that didnt work... I did not receive any backup media with my pc either... I just got it yesterday and it started having problems upon the second time starting it... if anyone could take the time to give me instructions for a beginner on how to replace the .sys file especially when i cant even access my computer that would be extremely helpful... thank you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I know this is gonna sound stupid, but I have no clue what any of this means, I get the same error upon start-up of my hp envy h8-1450... I can't even get to the user log in... it just automatically gives me a bsod and restarts, then repeats endlessly... tryed reinstalling os with system recovery and that didnt work... I did not receive any backup media with my pc either... I just got it yesterday and it started having problems upon the second time starting it... if anyone could take the time to give me instructions for a beginner on how to replace the .sys file especially when i cant even access my computer that would be extremely helpful... thank you.
The only solution i can see is to remove HDD from your notebook, connect it to a PC, replace the sys file and then connect it back to your notebook.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Bsod windows 8
Got It To Work

So I actually got my computer running, first off my pc is a desktop not a notebook, but anyways im not sure if my problem was entirely the same as everyone elses or not but Dixon's amdsbs.sys did the trick, anyways i noticed that when my computer did turn on for a short time b4 getting a bsod that it seemed to give me the bsod as soon as a notification from my pre-installed norton av popped up. So I reinstalled the OS yet again, this time choosing the custom option not to activate norton, then as soon as I was luckily able to get onto my desktop, I immediately uninstalled norton, and then took then replaced the amdsbs.sys on my computer with the new 1 off of a flashdrive by renaming the old 1 amdsbs.old and then copying in the new one, after a quick restart my computer is running great and the problem seems to be fixed, I don't know too much about system files/drivers so Im not sure if this is a permanent solution or not, Anyways I hope this in someway helps someone who reads this. Most of all thank you Dixon for the new .sys... saved my new pc and my weekend =D

(Sorry for any bad grammar, I typed this in a rush)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Update:
After sucessfully running in IDE mode, i tried to switch to AHCI. I tried:
1. Installing fresh AMD drivers (neither of them replaces amdsbs.sys posted on the 1st page)
2. checking system/StorAHCI (it replaced msAHCI in wondows 8) for the "Start" parameter it was already set to "0"
3. tried to enable AHCI in bios and start - got bsod+instant restart.
4. tried to boot from windows 8 usb flash drive and "automatically look for problems" - none found.
5. switched back to IDE in bios. got BSOD.
6. restored to last system restore point. it works in IDE once again.

any thoughts? new amdsbs maybe?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Bsod windows 8
Changing the type of sata port after the system was installed has never really worked for me. I've tried it on Win7 before, had the same results that you had. It's a separate issue to what you're having I believe. If you use the ISO I provided, and re-install Windows 8 with AHCI turned on, I'm betting you'll not have the BSOD's.

And as far as MY issue was concerned I marked it as solved. If you have a spare drive try doing the install above and see if it fixes the problem for you as well. Also when you did the ISO image yourself, did you make the changes both in ALL the images on the DVD? I had to change it in I think 4 different sets (in the boot.wim, 2 different images, 3 places each for installing and troubleshooting, and in the install.wim, 2 images, 3 places each for the INSTALLED system).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Window 8/Windows 7 Dual Boot
Changing the type of sata port after the system was installed has never really worked for me. I've tried it on Win7 before, had the same results that you had. It's a separate issue to what you're having I believe. If you use the ISO I provided, and re-install Windows 8 with AHCI turned on, I'm betting you'll not have the BSOD's.

And as far as MY issue was concerned I marked it as solved. If you have a spare drive try doing the install above and see if it fixes the problem for you as well. Also when you did the ISO image yourself, did you make the changes both in ALL the images on the DVD? I had to change it in I think 4 different sets (in the boot.wim, 2 different images, 3 places each for installing and troubleshooting, and in the install.wim, 2 images, 3 places each for the INSTALLED system).
I am unable to download your iso — it's too slow and unstable. Can you please post it as a torrent? I do have a spare drive and i will try it.

I replaced the file 3 times for the install.wim and 3 times for the boot.wim. the image was the retail x64 dvd.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Bsod windows 8
Alright, i finally downloaded your ISO. I'll try it.

Do you suggest to make a clean install formatting the SSD? or just a "refresh"?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Bsod windows 8

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
Same thing happen to me !! Using the same desktop HB-1450 after second start up (brand new desktop) "(amdsbs.sys) shows up. I am unable to do anything because my PC restarts over and over. someone please help me solved this, also Automatic Repair couldn't repair the problem. I need step by step instruction on how to solve my problem!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8

I would definitely do a full format, then you know it's all set up correctly.

Is this on a new machine that came with Windows 8? If it is I'd definitely be taking it back to where I bought it. If it's an older PC that you upgraded to Win8, I'm not sure what the best course would be, as I would usually suggest starting from scratch.

My Computer

System One

• OS

I would definitely do a full format, then you know it's all set up correctly.

A full refresh (with data erasing) worked well. Somehow i think that a soft-refresh would've worked well too.

Tricia, do you have ANY important data in your computer that you do not want to loose?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Bsod windows 8
Just as a FYI, Asus released new drivers for pretty much everything on my mobo today (Sabertooth 990FX R2.0), new chipset, new raid, etc. I'm going to try loading them here shortly. If it causes any issues with the replaced amdsbs driver I'll post back. Might want to check with the manufacturer and see if there are new drivers for these other systems that may fix the problem (not sure how you'd load them if the machine is BSOD'ing on every boot though).

Guess I need to do a virgin install on my machine, with raid and all on and see if it BSOD's with the new drivers, but that's a project for later this week..

**EDIT** Drivers didn't touch the amdsbs.sys file, but didn't cause any further trouble. I'll see about setting up an AHCI drive to boot from a virgin Win8 setup, and see if these drivers fix the BSOD (but I'm not very confident that it will).

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
@heffe

Thank you so much for the ISO; it worked flawlessly. I had been struggling with this problem for days (AMD 760G chipset).
All of my on-board SATA ports can only be set to one mode, Windows would only install in AHCI, and all of my media is on my RAID array. Now I have my RAID array back and Win8 installed on my SSD!
No other fix worked for me. THANK YOU.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8
    CPU
    955 BE
    Motherboard
    Asus Crosshair IV
    Memory
    8GB 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    EAH6950
Glad it worked for you. Hopefully they will release some sort of fix for this eventually, as it is even affecting new machines out of the box (AMD systems with 8 on them are coming with the drives set up in IDE mode specifically to bypass this problem, which is bad on teh manufacturers, they should demand a fix from either Microsoft or AMD (probably AMD's problem more than microsoft's though).

My Computer

System One

• OS
Hi,

I have the same issue. I try to replace amdsbs.sys but can't do it on one of the three occurences because the file is used.

How to solve that ?

Thanks in advance

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WIN 8
You could try to boot into Safe mode. I did mine by a re-install the last time around, although it did let me replace them manually the first time as well (didn't have a used-file problem that I can remember).

My Computer

System One

• OS
I am unable to download your iso — it's too slow and unstable. Can you please post it as a torrent? I do have a spare drive and i will try it.

I replaced the file 3 times for the install.wim and 3 times for the boot.wim. the image was the retail x64 dvd.
I got the dropbox file to download. If you want a torrent... Here is magnet link

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Back