Solved BSOD driver_irql_not_less_or_equal amdsbs.sys

Ok dumb question... where is Install.wim?

I can't find it on my install media. I downloaded Win8 using the Upgrade Assistant. When I do a search for *.wim files I only find boot.wim.

I do have a 2.7gb install.esd file.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 --> Windows 8 (WIP)
Not sure if it'll replace the .esd file or not, these files are from a full RTM iso, not the upgrade assistant version.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Window 8/Windows 7 Dual Boot
Ok dumb question... where is Install.wim?

I can't find it on my install media. I downloaded Win8 using the Upgrade Assistant. When I do a search for *.wim files I only find boot.wim.

I do have a 2.7gb install.esd file.

Does the Upgrade Assistant allow you to create a USB/DVD install media? If it lets you do the USB key method, do that, then replace the 2 .wim files in the sources folder on your flash drive with the ones from here. Apparently the .esd file is the format that the UA uses to pull down the full install?

My Computer

System One

• OS
It created a bootable usb key which has the install.esd and boot.wim file.

I'm having trouble downloading your files from 4shared - maybe due to the storm in the US. Once I get the files I'll see what happens if I replace install.esd with your install.wim.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I'm going to also upload a patched ISO file, won't be until I head for bed tonight though (probably around midnight EST) as the multiple uploads last night killed my evenings gaming, lol.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I just finished downloading the wims. It was a decent speed since you can download all three at once. Thx!
I can just replace them in a win 8 pro technet iso with someting like ultra iso right?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7, 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II 1090T 6 Core @ 3.8Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus Crosshair IV Formula
    Memory
    16 GB Ripjaws
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 6GB SC with ACX Cooler , GTX 750Ti
    Sound Card
    HDMI connected to a Denon AVR-3312 Cerwin Vega x7. Def Tech Sub
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 65" Ultra High Def HU8550
    Screen Resolution
    3840x2160 60Hz over HDMI 1.4!!
    Hard Drives
    2TB Samsung 204UI
    Samsung 840 256GB
    PSU
    1000w Thermaltake Toughpower. 2000VA UPS, 1000VA UPS
    Case
    Lian Li Something
    Cooling
    Corsair H50 Water
    Keyboard
    Logitech K270 Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Couch Mouse
    Internet Speed
    100Mbps
    Browser
    Maxthon 4
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    Asus AC-68R Router with 8TB of storage attached
I tried it with MagicISO and had problems with the resultant disk. I used WinISO (we have it registered at work) and created a working disk (although it was over 6gb in size, apparently it didn't remove the old file first and left the space allocated, lol). I'm going to roll up an ISO with the new Windows ADK tonight and upload it.

The easiest way would be to use the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool ( here ), use it to create a working Windows 8 install key, then replace those 2 files in the sources folder on it.

*EDIT* I created a bootable DVD image with oscdimg.exe, and it booted fine, and the files installed on the VM were the newer, working amdsbs.sys. I'll be sticking it up on my 4shared folder tonight, and I'll see about some sort of alternate method after someone else can verify that it worked for them as well..

I've got to say, for a system that will either make or break Microsoft, to let this bug make it into the shipping release is pretty bad, since it's not just Raid that has the issue, it's also AHCI in general that's affected..

The only issue I can see thus far, the permissions on those files are still set to full control for administrator, unlike other files in those directories which are set to read/execute. If that's a huge problem I'll see what I can do, or you can change the permissions yourself. I did try to reset them to the TrustedInstaller owner, but the system wouldn't let me do that after replacing them.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
I tested the updated installer a few hours ago, and it fixed my problem completely and was able to boot into Windows 8 with no issues at all (other than finding Win8 compatible drivers :-D). TYVM heffe.

Here's a valid question though...what are the chances of Microsoft sending out an update that will break our modified install and try to copy back the crapped amdsbs.sys version? It didn't even occur to me until just right now after reading the issue about changing ownership of the files.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
I'm guessing that's possible, but hopefully they will update to an actually working version. Soon as this iso file gets split (with winrar again, damn that 2g filesize limit on 4shared, lol). I'll be pushing it up, should take about 2-3hrs.

It shows 1:40 left on the upload, so you guys should have a working ISO file sometime in the next couple hours. If you can stick it up on a bittorrent tracker somewhere feel free.

The ONLY file modded on this ISO are the amdsbs.sys files, nothing else has been changed or modified. Again though, use at your own risk.

My Computer

System One

• OS
It created a bootable usb key which has the install.esd and boot.wim file.

I'm having trouble downloading your files from 4shared - maybe due to the storm in the US. Once I get the files I'll see what happens if I replace install.esd with your install.wim.

Unfortunately I discovered that the version that is downloaded using the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant uses an encrypted install.esd file, so you won't be able to modify it (I tried looking at with imagex and kept getting errors). You'll need a normal upgrade/full version ISO to be able to perform the swap.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
if you can wait until tomorrow I can zip the other files and Upload it separate, then just extract those add the 2 wims you have and your usb drive should work.

It will be sometime tomorrow morning though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I've got a full copy of the iso from work so will try the replacing the wims tonight. Thanks again heffe for your help here. MS still haven't looked at my problem yet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I've got a full copy of the iso from work so will try the replacing the wims tonight. Thanks again heffe for your help here. MS still haven't looked at my problem yet.

I reported the same problem, and they didn't have a solution for my issue...only offered me a refund for the OS license.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
if you can wait until tomorrow I can zip the other files and Upload it separate, then just extract those add the 2 wims you have and your usb drive should work.

It will be sometime tomorrow morning though.

I uploaded the other files in a seperate rar file (less than 200mb). If everything works for you guys, let me know. I don't use 4shared much so having used up 6-7gb of space on there doesn't concern me too much (you get 15g, so I have space for the little stuff I have on there now, I'm more of a dropbox kind of guy anyway, lol).

I guess I can also mirror this on my dropbox account, have plenty of free space there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I replaced the wims using UltraISO. Then created a bootable USB using WinsetupfromUSB

Installed 8 pro to a Samsung 830 265GB SSD non raid. I do have 2 other Samsung HD's in raid zero. So the raid driver is in use.

All works fine.

Thx for the wim's!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7, 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II 1090T 6 Core @ 3.8Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus Crosshair IV Formula
    Memory
    16 GB Ripjaws
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 6GB SC with ACX Cooler , GTX 750Ti
    Sound Card
    HDMI connected to a Denon AVR-3312 Cerwin Vega x7. Def Tech Sub
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 65" Ultra High Def HU8550
    Screen Resolution
    3840x2160 60Hz over HDMI 1.4!!
    Hard Drives
    2TB Samsung 204UI
    Samsung 840 256GB
    PSU
    1000w Thermaltake Toughpower. 2000VA UPS, 1000VA UPS
    Case
    Lian Li Something
    Cooling
    Corsair H50 Water
    Keyboard
    Logitech K270 Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Couch Mouse
    Internet Speed
    100Mbps
    Browser
    Maxthon 4
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    Asus AC-68R Router with 8TB of storage attached
Thought I should mention somewhere that this is only the x64 version of Windows 8. I'm not sure if x32 has the problem or not, if it does let me know and we'll see if we can patch a 32 bit version as well (I'll just need a good, working amdsbs.sys for x32...).

My Computer

System One

• OS
I'll wipe my spare/test hard drive and install windows 8 x86 on it, and check things out. With this setup if I'm going to bluescreen because of amdsbs.sys it's going to happen right smack at the beginning of the installation, immediately after entering the activation key.

EDIT: I installed Win 8 Pro x86 on this machine a few hours ago on a spare hard drive, and I could not replicate the BSOD results...seemed perfectly stable on my setup. This makes me think the BSOD bug might only be limited to the x64 versions of Windows 8. We'd need more input though to confirm it though.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
I'll wipe my spare/test hard drive and install windows 8 x86 on it, and check things out. With this setup if I'm going to bluescreen because of amdsbs.sys it's going to happen right smack at the beginning of the installation, immediately after entering the activation key.

EDIT: I installed Win 8 Pro x86 on this machine a few hours ago on a spare hard drive, and I could not replicate the BSOD results...seemed perfectly stable on my setup. This makes me think the BSOD bug might only be limited to the x64 versions of Windows 8. We'd need more input though to confirm it though.

My system will be stable for hours, and a few times, days before would start having issues with the stock driver. From the first install I had, it was probably a week before I had the starting reboots. Still, I don't think I've seen any mention anywhere about it happening with x32 version, so hopefully we're good there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Hello! Can anyone PLEASE share a better link to those files? My download failed at 90% and i cannot continue downloads from 4share.com
Use thepiratebay, maybe? It's not only for illegal things, you know.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Bsod windows 8
Back