Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Anybody else tired of hearing these lame Win 8 complaints?

  1. #31


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by PRGeno View Post
    It really doesn't matter that you're tired of hearing about it, there are very legitimate reasons for it.
    Yes, some reasons may be legitimate. Others, however, may have a legitimate basis, but are generally embellished, or even just completely fictional.

    Quote Originally Posted by PRGeno View Post
    There are many reasons why I won't/can't run Windows 8.x, but the primary reason is MS is forcing me upgrade my entire Windows based IT infrastructure to Windows Server/Hyper-V to 2012 if I want to manage it from my Win8 machine because they have made the desktop management tools incompatible with previous server versions.
    Case in point.

    The RSAT tools for Windows 8 Can, and do support Windows 2003, 2008 and 2008R2. However, many features don't exist on those platoforms.. so obviously those tools won't work, and there are a few tools which are implemented in tools that don't exist on those platforms (most notably the DHCP PowerShell module). But a large percentage of the tools do in fact work. Here's a list:

    Description of Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 8

    Most of the common tools, like WSUS, Group Policy Management, DNS, AD, etc.. all work

    So I would consider this a bit of an embellishment to say that you have to upgrade your infrastructure to use it.

    The one thing that doesn't work is Hyper-V manager, but that's because Hyper-V manager is not included in RSAT, because it's part of Windows 8, and it doesn't support older versions of Hyper-V due to a complete redesign of the protocol. So if your primary complaint is Hyper-V manager, then fine.. but if you're running Hyper-V, that probably means you have lots of VM's already, and you can probably find a 2008 or 7 box to install hyper-v manager on that you can remote to.

    Sometimes they have to break compatibility. It happens. Eventually you'll have to upgrade. The Hyper-V breakage was not an "artificial limitation", there's very real technical reasons for it. Read here:

    The v2 WMI namespace in Hyper-V on Windows 8 - Ben Armstrong - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    I find Windows 8 interesting, but I would not want to spend any money for it. For me, there are too few advantages of /8 over /7 and I decided to only keep the one copy that I got for $40 - and that I run in a virtual partition. For day to day production I still prefer Windows 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    We shall see if the subterfuge in 8.1 is enough to stop repelling the potential consumers. It may be.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34


    Posts : 2
    Windows 7 and Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by strollin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PRGeno View Post
    It really doesn't matter that you're tired of hearing about it, there are very legitimate reasons for it.

    There are many reasons why I won't/can't run Windows 8.x, but the primary reason is MS is forcing me upgrade my entire Windows based IT infrastructure to Windows Server/Hyper-V to 2012 if I want to manage it from my Win8 machine because they have made the desktop management tools incompatible with previous server versions.

    I know I could run Windows 7 in a VM on my machine to do so, but why should I have to? It is the same with why should I have to install a 3rd party Start Menu to get the convenience if the Start Menu back.

    These, and many other, compromises are not acceptable. They are simply an artificial limitation in an attempt to force a revenue generating (for MS) upgrades on us that even if we wanted the upgrade we couldn't do them overnight.

    Add the training issue for the IT user population and the costs involved and this is a disaster for MS, and a bigger blunder on their part than Vista ever was.
    Did you even read my original post before responding?
    I thought so, but would be interested in what you think I missed and why you think my response isn't relevant.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    N. Calif
    Posts : 2,585
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 Pro (tablet), W10 (laptop)


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I find Windows 8 interesting, but I would not want to spend any money for it. For me, there are too few advantages of /8 over /7 and I decided to only keep the one copy that I got for $40 - and that I run in a virtual partition. For day to day production I still prefer Windows 7.
    I don't find Win 8 a compelling upgrade but there's also no reason to avoid a new computer that comes with it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by pcRat View Post
    XweAponX "Here is my process: I'm reading a post, find a solution, then make a screenshot of it. Open PAINT, paste it in, save it to my pics.

    Then I click on Post Pic, choose file and the Explorer Windows comes up, I type the first 2 letters of the file I just made into the selection box on the bottom. It fills in automatically with the names of all of the files that have those letters in it."


    In 8 This should be your process: you're reading a post, find a solution, then make a screenshot of it by Winkey+Prnt Scrn.
    Your first screenshot using this method creates a new folder in Pictures named 'Screenshots'
    They are automatically named Screenshot (#)
    Every screenshot is saved here and you can rename any of them. I prefer to rename by adding a suffix. Screenshot (14) becomes Screenshot (14) intel CPUs

    Just seems faster than Open PAINT, paste it in, save it to my pics.

    For some reason, my system doesn't save the images in that folder, i've tried it, thanx though.


    The Winkey+Prscr does copy to the clipboard, but it doesn't make a copy in that folder, don't know why. So I had to adopt that other process.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Sloe Deth, Californicatia
    Posts : 3,908
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post


    The one thing that doesn't work is Hyper-V manager, but that's because Hyper-V manager is not included in RSAT, because it's part of Windows 8, and it doesn't support older versions of Hyper-V due to a complete redesign of the protocol. So if your primary complaint is Hyper-V manager, then fine.. but if you're running Hyper-V, that probably means you have lots of VM's already, and you can probably find a 2008 or 7 box to install hyper-v manager on that you can remote to.

    Sometimes they have to break compatibility. It happens. Eventually you'll have to upgrade. The Hyper-V breakage was not an "artificial limitation", there's very real technical reasons for it. Read here:

    The v2 WMI namespace in Hyper-V on Windows 8 - Ben Armstrong - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

    I can't even get Hyper-V at all, it's not compatible with my 2 AMD machines, and my one Intel machine is a P4 socket 775. I do have a core duo chip I can put in there. If my gateway laptop were working, I could use it in there, cos that has a core duo, and that's the minimum chip you can use.

    I'd really like to try it though, I can install the program, but when I pull up the interface, there is no VM manager.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by strollin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I find Windows 8 interesting, but I would not want to spend any money for it. For me, there are too few advantages of /8 over /7 and I decided to only keep the one copy that I got for $40 - and that I run in a virtual partition. For day to day production I still prefer Windows 7.
    I don't find Win 8 a compelling upgrade but there's also no reason to avoid a new computer that comes with it.



    Each to their own preference or need. Buuut, reaaaally, wooow! Call me a fanboy or fangirl, or tile lover, but omg, I think Windows 8 is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    It has really ramped up my interest in using the pc.

    Recently took some time to use Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mint, Deepin, Suse, Vista and 7...
    Windows 8 is a totally different experience.

    I hope I never have to get stuck with a flat desktop OS.
    Last edited by mdmd; 15 Aug 2013 at 12:41.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by strollin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I find Windows 8 interesting, but I would not want to spend any money for it. For me, there are too few advantages of /8 over /7 and I decided to only keep the one copy that I got for $40 - and that I run in a virtual partition. For day to day production I still prefer Windows 7.
    I don't find Win 8 a compelling upgrade but there's also no reason to avoid a new computer that comes with it.
    Each to their own preference or need. Buuut, reaaaally, wooow! Call me a fanboy or fangirl, or tile lover, but omg, I think Windows 8 is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    It has really ramped up my interest in using the pc.

    Recently took some time to use Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mint, Deepin, Suse, Vista and 7...
    Windows 8 is a totally different experience.

    I hope I never have to get stuck with a flat desktop OS.
    I am sure Steve Ballmer is happy to hear that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    Personally, I'm sick of hearing from all the kool-aid swallowers. A large majority of users despise tifkam. Deal with it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Anybody else tired of hearing these lame Win 8 complaints?
Related Threads
Tired video card??? in Graphic Cards
My Nvidia GEForce GT220 video card is getting a little long in the tooth and I'm wondering if that could be the cause of recently occurring choppy video. I'm not talking about the likes of Youtube videos. Actually it's on a self improvement site Lumosity; where there are graphical challenges and...
Public IP not working.. been trying for 12 hours So i've been on my pc non stop for 12 hours.. I Have windows 2008 R2 Datacenter, and i can't get IIS working.. Http nor ftp. I'm able to access locally, but using my public real IP i can't. Whats funny is filezilla was working cause i tried...
Hi, I wonder if there's a way to make my own voice audible in the speakers/headphones when using a microphone? I also have RealTek HD Audiomanager installed, since I have an ASUS board. Could this be done in Windows?
Solved Windows eight complaints in Installation & Setup
Right were to start: 1: difficult to access safe mode. 2: impossible to recover from the new "black screen of Death" 3: no media player its now an extra and at a cost!!!! 4: all games etc that used to be included you have to get from the New store. 5: no start menu from the desktop. Users...
Windows 8: My complaints in General Support
I have it installed as my primary OS and have been exploring it for about a week now. Although I do like several features, I am going to be re-installing 7 because I feel limited in 8. The most frustrating aspect of 8 is the lack of simple menu choices. For instance, I can view photos in the...
Yes, I like to try something new/better/different. I installed the CP/M mod in my TRS 80 Model III to see what it was all about. Turns out it added lots of capabilities. It wasn't very nice to have to reinitialize the floppy drives every time you changed a disk. Similarly there are some things in...
Read more at: Senate Committee Probing Windows on ARM Browser Complaints | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook