Windows RT a necessary disruption

An insight into the idea of RT.
.Microsoft defended the future viability of Windows RT during an interview with CNET today.Michael Angiulo, corporate vice president, Windows Planning, Hardware & PC Ecosystem, talked with CNET about what makes RT important for the software giant.
The platform took some hard knocks before and after it debuted on October 26. A lot of the criticism has focused on the lack of compatibility with older Windows applications, in contrast to backward-compatible Windows 8 on Intel-based devices.
But Angiulo says Microsoft has good reason to stick with the platform.

More at the source.

Microsoft defends Windows RT as necessary disruption | Microsoft - CNET News

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
The surface pro really feels like a computer to me, whs. But I have to attach the physical keyboard to get to that point. I use it for note taking at work, can rdp with it, can print from it, can connect to file shares, can vpn in from it....and I can do all of this in the exact same manner that I can from my desktop or laptop. No learning curve. It's a much better experience than I have experienced with any other tablet in the past.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Yeah, but now you start to change the 'tablet designation'. If you attach a keyboard and mouse and a 32" TV to a smartphone, you can also do computer-like work. But that is not the defined designation of a smartphone.

For me, a tablet is for 'on the go'. If I am at home, I use my desktop which has a lot more muscle than any tablet. And on the go, I prefer a 7" anyhow.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I refuse to recognize the Surface as a 'Computer' - same for other tablets. It is a toy which is completely overpowered and overpriced for what people usually do with tablets - forget the few that do real work with it.. And yes, people spend a lot of money on other useless stuff. But that does not make it any better.

10-inch tablets heading for extinction according to Intel exec - Tablets - News - HEXUS.net
Come on whs just because you refuse to recognise it as a computer doesn't mean it isn't. It IS a computer, you don't need a keyboard and even if you do, so does a computer.

I think some of you guys on here want to pull yourself into the current century. You can do any real work with it exactly the same as a computer.

As far as the price goes, in my opinion they're almost too cheap for what they do, a flamin phone is more expensive than the Surface. You're idea of work and others are completely different, are you saying doing a spreadsheet isn't real work, or running an account programme isn't real work.

You know there are a lot of people out there who would argue that any work on a computer isn't real work.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
The surface pro really feels like a computer to me, whs. But I have to attach the physical keyboard to get to that point. I use it for note taking at work, can rdp with it, can print from it, can connect to file shares, can vpn in from it....and I can do all of this in the exact same manner that I can from my desktop or laptop. No learning curve. It's a much better experience than I have experienced with any other tablet in the past.
Have you ever noticed that a real computer doesn't work at all without a keyboard. Just because you can't do without a keyboard doesn't mean others can't.

My wife types nearly all day long sometimes on a tablet without a keyboard. She says she forgets she's not using a keyboard.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I would not say they are too cheap for what they do. I've had a few people interested when they see it, but when they hear the price they change their mind.

I truly see this as the biggest obstacle, will people need this much portability and power to justify the cost it can most get by just fine with a $199 tablet. I feel fir must, it will be the latter without question.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
BillW hadn't posted for awhile. Perhaps he bought them all. :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Could be, unless there's been an iPad sale as well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
I refuse to recognize the Surface as a 'Computer' - same for other tablets. It is a toy which is completely overpowered and overpriced for what people usually do with tablets - forget the few that do real work with it.. And yes, people spend a lot of money on other useless stuff. But that does not make it any better.

10-inch tablets heading for extinction according to Intel exec - Tablets - News - HEXUS.net

I've been saying this exact thing for weeks now. The 10-inch form factor belongs to the convertibles, led by the Surface Pro. Pure tablets will be relegated to 7".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile
Recently, Aldi put on sale an Android tablet for $249:Aldi to sell 3G enabled 10″ Android tablet for $249 | Ausdroid. Apparently every store sold out within minutes of opening. That's the sort of thing that people are looking for. I know one person who bought one and is totally happy with the purchase.
That's interesting I did not know that Aldi is in your country. It is a German company owned by 2 brothers who are the richest individuals in Germany. We have an Aldi north (one brother) and an Aldi south (the other brother).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Recently, Aldi put on sale an Android tablet for $249:Aldi to sell 3G enabled 10″ Android tablet for $249 | Ausdroid. Apparently every store sold out within minutes of opening. That's the sort of thing that people are looking for. I know one person who bought one and is totally happy with the purchase.
Apparently, apparently, that's about all you ever come up with. I live near 3 Aldis, they very seldom sell out of any tablets and I KNOW this because I usually go and have a look a couple of weeks later when they put them on sale again.

Yesterday I could have bought any number of 7" or 10" tablets for in some cases half that price, guess what, nobody was buying. I would say that 99% of people that go to Aldi wouldn't know what 3G is.

In about a month I'll have a 4th Aldi and another 2 or 3 months after that a 5th Aldi around me, I'll check and see how fast they sell out of tablets.

My Computer

System One

• OS
BillW hadn't posted for awhile. Perhaps he bought them all. :p
It could well happen I buy a lot of electronics at Aldi, it usually doesn't sell all that well, and they end up putting them down to ridiculous prices, so what's a guy supposed to do. I nearly bought a Surface RT yesterday I'm just a bit worried they're going to drop the price soon.

My Computer

System One

• OS
That's interesting I did not know that Aldi is in your country. It is a German company owned by 2 brothers who are the richest individuals in Germany. We have an Aldi north (one brother) and an Aldi south (the other brother).

Aldi started here some years ago and have become very popular along the east coast and continue to expand, slowly moving west. Melbourne has the most number of Aldi stores so far and I don't know of any place that has three, let alone five, stores 'nearby'. They sell a lot of Medion and Tevion electronics, as well as many other tools etc, and they tend to be very reliable gear.

Don't believe what some say, I know personally, and from others, that the tablets sold out fast; quite a number missed out. The last time Aldi had a 7" tablet on sale was in December last year and Aldi never keeps unsold stuff on the shelves for more than about a week. Some people just couldn't tell a straight story if they were stretched out on a rack.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Your Aldis are generally bigger than the Australian ones and carry a wider variety of stuff, I bought some Vodka and Egnogg at Bad Bramsted for $3.99 Euro on my way to Denmark and Norway.
Had I known Norway was the most expensive place on the planet I would have bought a suitcase full.

I just remembered I bought some at Frankfurt on the way back, man I wish they booze that cheap in Australia.

My Computer

System One

• OS

Aldi started here some years ago and have become very popular along the east coast and continue to expand, slowly moving west. Melbourne has the most number of Aldi stores so far and I don't know of any place that has three, let alone five, stores 'nearby'. They sell a lot of Medion and Tevion electronics, as well as many other tools etc, and they tend to be very reliable gear.

Don't believe what some say, I know personally, and from others, that the tablets sold out fast; quite a number missed out. The last time Aldi had a 7" tablet on sale was in December last year and Aldi never keeps unsold stuff on the shelves for more than about a week. Some people just couldn't tell a straight story if they were stretched out on a rack.
Have you ever heard of Looney Tunes, Mr Fudd. Aldi never keeps unsold stuff on the shelves for more than a week, are you any relation to Lady Gaga.

My Computer

System One

• OS
The Medion make they also sell in Germany. Tevion I have never heard of. In Germany it's the same. If they have one of their electronic sales, people line up and if you come at e.g. 10AM, you are out of luck. I think they cannot afford to keep that stuff on the shelves. Would hurt their cash flow.

We have one small Aldi now in the area where I spend the winter here in Florida. But I never went. I don't really like their stores. They are too bland and you have nobody who can help you in a professional way. It's just cheapo - but that I can find on the internet too. At least there I get a bit of information about the product.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
The Medion make they also sell in Germany. Tevion I have never heard of. In Germany it's the same. If they have one of their electronic sales, people line up and if you come at e.g. 10AM, you are out of luck. I think they cannot afford to keep that stuff on the shelves. Would hurt their cash flow.

We have one small Aldi now in the area where I spend the winter here in Florida. But I never went. I don't really like their stores. They are too bland and you have nobody who can help you in a professional way. It's just cheapo - but that I can find on the internet too. At least there I get a bit of information about the product.
So where do you come from, because all the Aldi stores I've seen in Germany are far from bland, they're usually packed to the rafters. I've never been to one in America I usually shop at Costco if they'll let me in without their coupon, which they have numerous times, they have some good cheap booze as well.

My Computer

System One

• OS

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7