Windows 8

LPT, You have 4 options:

1. Press the screenshot button on the keyboard and paste it in Paint (top left). Then you can save it from there.

2. Use the snipping tool. You find that in All apps. Pin it to the taskbar or start menu (right click). Then it is always handy.

3. Get Jing. This is a really nice tool with which you can make annotations, boxes, arrows, etc. You can set it to a function key to trigger. Recommend F9. Jing, screenshot and screencast software from TechSmith

4. FastStone Capture - the old free version - is similar to Jing. FastStone Screen Capture - The Best Screen Capture Software

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Yeah, I think the task manager is a better solution. Working from the top left corner is a bit finagle.

maybe just what ones gets use to i guess ,i use my mouse a lot ,so top corner is how i get from desktop to start when needed ,usually have a internet radio app or similar running

The problem for PC users is that these apps were really made for tablets and have a tablet behavior - as the new Metro UI all together. If one owns a tablet (I own an Android tablet), then you are used to that behavior and can figure out more rapidly what to do.

But for people who are only used to PCs, it is quite an alien setup. No wonder they are confused and upset.

Although I can manage with Windows 8 quite well, I would not use it for my 'production systems'. It is just too odd on a PC. And if MS does not come up with something better, I will stay on Windows 7 and later go to Linux.

whs.... I love your helps and comments.. YOU are where we the newer users are , you are such great help in this thread.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 - 64 bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer 7540-1284.(Special pkg made for HSN )
    CPU
    Processor:Intel- B960
    Memory
    3GB Memory , 320 GH HDD
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics -ATI Radeon HD 4200 Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3 HD+LED LCO
    Hard Drives
    M300 ( 2.0 GHz,1MB L2 Cache)
    320 GH HHD

Up to 1407 MB HyperMemory
    Case
    Laptop 17.3" HD+ LED LCD
    Keyboard
    Full size keyboard plus number pad( 5 full rows of keys )
    Mouse
    Touch pad..( I have a portable mouse I use )
    Internet Speed
    I don't know
    Browser
    I E 10, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Avast
    Other Info
    DVD Super Multi DL drive

Acer Nplify 802.11 b/g/n

6 cell Li-ion battery

plus a lot more ...I do NOT need
Thank you LPD. More than 50 years of IT background must show somehow, LOL.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Although I can manage with Windows 8 quite well, I would not use it for my 'production systems'. It is just too odd on a PC. And if MS does not come up with something better, I will stay on Windows 7 and later go to Linux.

We have been down this road before. How are you?
In support of metro apps on the pc, not all are bad. Not odd. How is Netflix odd?
Or Amazon or Newegg? News, Weather, Games, ... How are they odd?
Does everything have to function inside of a little resizable box?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.

We have been down this road before. How are you?
In support of metro apps on the pc, not all are bad. Not odd. How is Netflix odd?
Or Amazon or Newegg? News, Weather, Games, ... How are they odd?
Does everything have to function inside of a little resizable box?

I am still updating my Windows 8 (e.g. to 8.1) and diddle around with it in my virtual partition. But for daily use all my systems run on Windows 7 (and 2 of my wife's systems even on Vista). I have all the applications I need and although some of those tablet applications may be interesting, I really have no need for them on my PCs.

On my Android tablet I have a lot of different, innovative and useful applications that I use for those areas where a PC is not applicable - e.g. navigation.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Back