Windows 8 six months in: Thoughts from a power(less) user

Crave's Eric Mack has felt at home in Windows for decades. Now that his home has a fresh coat of paint, he's still not sure if it's an improvement.

Since then I've been courted by other colonial powers, but I was conditioned at a young age to the ways of Windows and -- no matter how it came to be this way -- it still feels like home. Now my home has just received a fresh coat of paint. And even if the painters did a shoddy job and painted over all the switches and outlets and left a mess on the hardwood floor, I'm willing to wait for them to come clean things up and get my home looking better than ever.

Windows 8 six months in: Thoughts from a power(less) user | Crave - CNET

You completely miss the point.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I was talking about the fact that with all the experience and examples that abound now with the likes of Android tablets and how they work, why not provide similar, easy, access to all the device controls? Many people complain that device settings and the like are difficult to find in Windows 8, whether the same applies to Windows 7 is irrelevant, we are talking about a new OS, a new paradigm.

It should be easier to use, not more complex. And I'm not talking about tech savvy users, but those whose tech skills are very basic, if not non-existent. There should have been one single tile in the start screen that was for settings, just like in Android, and that took you to a page that revealed everything. Is that too difficult to imagine?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Is that too difficult to imagine?

Ok. I apologize for stepping in. I don't know anything about Android.
Ok, I see... you were talking about the new paradigm and continuity between devices.
Well, I withdraw from this topic because I have no portables at all and have never used one.

There should have been one single tile in the start screen that was for settings

Probably not because Windows 8 is not a phone or tablet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
Just so there's no confusion, my 50 pound cooler master Intel Asrock computer is not a phone or tablet.
Touch capability, but I don't need it. So I guess I don't need the features of a phone or tablet on my home system.

I have a touch device, however, a touchpad, and it is awesome. Prefer my massive Kensington trackball.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
Is that too difficult to imagine?

Ok. I apologize for stepping in. I don't know anything about Android.
Ok, I see... you were talking about the new paradigm and continuity between devices.
Well, I withdraw from this topic because I have no portables at all and have never used one.

There should have been one single tile in the start screen that was for settings

Probably not because Windows 8 is not a phone or tablet.

The thing is Microsoft is targeting tablets, phones etc, with apps and touch. My first experience with an Android tablet revealed how simple and well thought out access to settings was, as well as other things. The UI was pretty good to say the least and that reflected across the OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
As a side note, I see touch on a non-touch system, as an available option. It is not mandatory. It fits what new tech is for sale. Touch is ok, but I will not be needing to use it.

But then again, I prefer the touch UI for mouse and keyboard as it brings a different approach.
I am signing off to watch a movie. good night.
I still find it amazing that it's around high noon in Australia and after 10pm New York - Boston time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
To continue wildly off topic, I have been looking at Unity - that is the ubuntu attempt at one size fits all (or none - depending on your point of view ).

I was surprised to find it is remarkably good at what it sets out to do. Not ideal for the advanced user - but that doesn't matter as they supply different UIs for advanced users.

For the average user or slightly beyond, it does the job fine even on a non touch desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
new lines not showing

CokeRobot said:
we're still doing that in the way of Windows 95 whereas you literally can hit the PHYSICAL power button on the PC to shut down or to sleep. After thinking about this, this is SO weird when this becomes about laptops, because they have the button right there under your face, yet it is never used other than to resume the PC from sleep or to turn it back on. There seems to be this rigid tradition with Windows that 8 has fleshed out. .... The observation I was making was that it's odd that something like shutting down Windows in 8 is so "difficult" when on modern mobile devices, there is no such thing in the UI. But when it's Windows and that's in the UI, it's a WHOLE debacle about something literally so trivial as hitting the physical power button.
I'ts a very interresting observation since it's often computer illiterates who are paranoiac about the shut-down button while this is a win95/98 legacy. When hit the physical button was a sin, redempted only by scanning the hard drive.
Until Vista any PC had to go througha computering procedure before shuting down properly. XP even launched its unfamous endless updates. (it was the most absurd invention on XP: starting updates when you want to shut down the computer!)
On 7, yes you can just sleep it, close the lad if you are on a laptop or hit the moon button on the keyboard if you are on a desktop.
Yet, an On/off button (a circle with a little vertical bar) is missing on keyboards for desktop PCs. Or when it's there it has, at least in my case, the same effect as sleeping which is useless since there is the moon button just next. Maybe others have succesfuly turned off their PC with the keyboard's On/off button, but this feature should be generalized IMO.
The physical button is often out of reach when located on a tower (In my case the tower is in another room, behind a wall).
And this button has the advantage and the disadvantage of bypassing all software operations, turning the power off the MoBo directly. In such a case, you are not presented with an option to save unsaved work if any, even if the OS would handle cold shut down perfectly.
The advanatage is that you can restart if the computer freezes. Had the physical button the same effect as the virtual shut down button, it would not allow to restart in case of serious trouble.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
Just so there's no confusion, my 50 pound cooler master Intel Asrock computer is not a phone or tablet.
Touch capability, but I don't need it. So I guess I don't need the features of a phone or tablet on my home system.

I have a touch device, however, a touchpad, and it is awesome. Prefer my massive Kensington trackball.

I used to use one of those for playing certain games, hahaha. The one I had, had a footswitch I could use to fire and it was much faster than a mouseclick, I could kill people easier.

I think what was going on here in this thread was discussion by people who use both Devices AND PCs and have them interacting. Regardless of if you use Windows 8 the same way we use iOS or Droid, it is DESIGNED to act that way. Allegedly to be easier, but it in fact is not. And, when we are in the Desktop, which is where most of us here do our work, we kind of like things the way they were in Windows 7.

If Windows 7 had been as fast as Windows 8 has been (for me) - I never would have switched. I never use the Metro area at all - As far as I am concerned, it is NOT a useful area. I finally found a game that works great, Angry Birds. That is the ONLY useful thing and I now have about 100 Tiles/Apps. But as I mentioned it was MADE by a developer of Programs - Not by someone in their living room, making an app and selling it in the store just to make extra cash, cos they read a website that shows you how to make easy money-sucking ripoff apps. In fasct I believer 90% of the Metro Apps are made by people who are cranking them out by the hundreds just to try to make some money.

I see NO big name Metro Apps, nothing useful has been ported over yet. Even today, I installed Quicken Mobile into my iPhone. Where then is it for Windows 8? They have it for iOS and Droid, but not Windows 8.

I think pretty much, it is not that "the big app makers have not YET made Windows 8 versions of their apps" - I think, they do not WANT to.

Our problem with Windows 8 is this split-system, if you can tell me that you can do all of your major work using only Metro Apps, I would call you a liar flat out, cos it ain't possible at this point - And the design and use of the Metro side of Windows 8 removes the ability to do any fine manipulating. Unless maybe a Metro App is designed to be used with a Stylus, in that case, at some point, I can see AutoCAD and 3DSMAX ported over. But how will they work, and will it be a huge "need to totally re-learn an App that we spent 2 years in School to learn?" I for one, learned AutoCAD when it was a Dos program, it has stayed basically identical through all of it's windows versions, because that program can only be finely manipulated via the command line. I've done complex shapes using only the command line, only using the Trace function to digitise my drawings, I would have to go over it with the line commands to clean it up.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Back