Windows 8 six months in: Thoughts from a power(less) user

Crave's Eric Mack has felt at home in Windows for decades. Now that his home has a fresh coat of paint, he's still not sure if it's an improvement.

Since then I've been courted by other colonial powers, but I was conditioned at a young age to the ways of Windows and -- no matter how it came to be this way -- it still feels like home. Now my home has just received a fresh coat of paint. And even if the painters did a shoddy job and painted over all the switches and outlets and left a mess on the hardwood floor, I'm willing to wait for them to come clean things up and get my home looking better than ever.

Windows 8 six months in: Thoughts from a power(less) user | Crave - CNET

Hi Guys,
Let me tell you about my nearly unbelievable first 3 weeks after buying my HP Windows 8 64 bit computer. I got used to or found my way around most of the things that new users complain about fairly quickly. I was personalizing and loading in my files and music and generally trying to make this PC as much like my old XP as possible. I noticed that every time I took a bathroom break and came back it had gone to the lock screen and I had to log in again. Each time this happened I went through all the settings I could find that could possibly be causing this. Each time I thought I had solved the problem. And each time it happened again. Now I will tell you I always disable the screensaver (by setting it to none) very early in the process of setting up any PC. I learned very early on that screensavers can play havoc with defrags and the like. Well anyway, After about 3 weeks of trying over and over to solve this problem I was about to try fixing it with a hammer. But I managed to restrain myself and started going through the settings for the millionth or so time when I noticed that Microsoft in their infinite wisdom had set the screensaver to come on after 2 minutes and to require a password upon resume. Could it be? Even with the screensaver set to "none"? I tried setting the wait time to 9999 and unchecked the password on resume option. Guess what? It worked! Problem solved! Are you kidding me? This had been happening with the screensaver set to "none"? Come on Microsoft!!! Give a guy a break. Must have been one of those "Internal Jokes" that they build in so they can get a good laugh at idiots like me pulling their hair out and going utterly insane trying to fix a simple (to them) problem. Like I said earlier. It was / is almost unbelievable.

That is totally unbelievable! I understand though. Windows 8 screensaver options are almost identical to Windows 7, and there are three levels of settings:

screensaver.png

The first you choose your screensaver and the TIME it will start showing

The next leve are the "Power Settings" - which override the settings on the initial Screen Saver area. So if your screen saver is set to start after 30 minutes, it will never start ever if you have your Power Plan Setings set to turn off the Monitor after 15 minutes.

Consequently, THESE settings are overridden in the "Advanced Power Settings" area - And you see that here is where you can choose or not choose to have security on wakeup.

And deep down further in the advanced panel, are sleep options which override the 1st two layers of settings - And the proper setting for those is to use the word "Never" rather than the number 0.

I use the Ribbon screensaver all the time, it is the best one I think, and the closest one to the one MacOS screensaver I like so it matches my Mac when they are both on. But the other reason I use is, is that it does not have graphics to squish through the GPU, it is just random colours. Some of the other screensavers, like ones that show your kids photos, have to use some graphics power.

But the reason why in Windows 8 you can use all screensavers without worry to it affecting processes like "Defrag" is because Defrag no longer works the same way it did in Windows 7, now it operates more like Raxxo Perfect Dick, which optimises the drive rather than moving stuff around. This is due to the superfluity of SSD hard drives and hybrid drives put into systems these days.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Thanks Guys,
I just kind of freaked out on the fact that Microsoft had (in my opinion of course) such a short default wait time for the screensaver and that they had it set by default to require a password on resume even when you would choose "none" for your screensaver! I came to 8 from XP and have had very little dealings with 7 at all so this was very alien to me. It was just one of those things that when you finally figure it out you can not imagine how it took as long as it did. Thanks to all for the replies.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP P2-1334
    CPU
    AMD Fusion E1-1200
    Motherboard
    Pegatron APXD1-DM (Redwood A)
    Memory
    Upgaded to PNY 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 7310
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio (onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w1707
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    WD 500 GB (onboard)
    + many,many external USB hard drives
    PSU
    stock
    Case
    stock
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    HP wireless 5187-4099
    Mouse
    Logitech laser wireless M325
    Internet Speed
    DL 6.99 mb/s......UL 3.34 mb/s
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox v.20.0.1
    Antivirus
    Norton......CCCleaner 64......Zone Alarm
Yah, cos it was going into "Sleep" mode after that 2 minutes time period. But sometimes Sleep mode does not engage correctly, so your computer re-wakes, and it wakes up to the damnable LOCK screen. I use Stardock Start8 to disable the lock screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Perhaps I should have mentioned that it should be on an empty desktop, for Alt/F4 continues to close apps/programs. Therefore, one should save files and close programs before doing so.

Grrrrr..........

I second the motion... Grrrrr.... (I was working on a 3D model).....

Hey Hippsie Gypsy,
Great tip about ALT + F4 !!!!!! Why does Microsoft keep such things so secret?

It's no secret, it has always been there. I used it since Win 95 :)

Even power users miss certain features that have been there forever. For example, if you press control key and roll the scrolling wheel on your mouse, the webpage will zoom in or out. I always thought this was obvious. I know this one guy that prides himself in being a techie. He's a developer by trade. And he claims to know everything there is to know about windows. Anyway, when I showed him this last year, he was amazed. Before that, he had no idea you could zoom in and out the webpage by doing that.

Not sure to apologize or not, but sorry if you two lost any work. When closing a program where work/files are not saved it'll ask to save before closing. That's the norm anyway.When shutting down, to be sure, I just got done testing in Win 8. I had a few test programs open without saving, the OS began shutdown, and then asked to cancel because of unsaved work/files. Pressed cancel and all is well. This is the same as past OSs. If that's not what happened to you two, then I would think something's wrong.

As sajara mentioned, Alt/F4 along with a lot of combos have been there since Win 95 to close programs and power menu when on blank desktop. I never used power menu for I would use WinKey (which is actually Start Orb) to open Start Menu > Arrow right = Shutdown. Other options I would arrow once over then up.

I new that about zoom, but thanks for mentioning that. Great combo. :)

I know to each there own, but the mouse to me is a necessary evil. It's slow. A waste of motion reaching for it and using. Anything I can do to keep my hands on the keyboard via WinKey or key combos to navigate, command, and to place something in a mode I think is much faster. e.g. Ctrl/B = bold (before typing) > Ctrl/B = unbold/normal font (after typing what one wants bolded). Why would I want to take my hand off the keyboard, reach for the mouse, grab it, point to the B in the text editor, start typing, then reverse the process when I want normal font again?

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2355-windows-8-keyboard-shortcut-keys-list.html

That concludes today's lesson on kbScs (Keyboard Shortcuts). With that, I'll post this with Alt/S. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Hippsie-Gypsie: Ya know one this that is bugging me with Windows 8 Tiles, is that there is absolutely NO Multitasking for them, leaving them open basically shuts them down. This was something dealt with early on with iOS, a cYdia Jailbreak App was made for early iOS called "Backgrounder" which allowed apps to keep running. Apple incorporated this around iOS 4, maybe before, so that changing from one app to another did not close the app and then you had a Taskswitcher from which to access all running apps.

Right now, I see Windows 8 as being the equivalent to the original iOS. NO backgrounding, Very simplistic design and function. In all of the important ways, Windows 8's Metro is in fact equivalent to that original iOS.

This was not a good decision from where to enter the Tablet arena, as the other Device based OS's had already developed these improvements. It just gives serious device users all the mroe reason to totally avoid Windows 8 based devices.

I don't know, maybe Windows 8 RT has a better task manager for tiles.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
I know nothing of IOS. Android though.

Not sure what you mean by Windows 8 tiles. Do you mean open apps? To me they seem to sleep in the background when not in use.

For now there's dual snapping. 1/3-2/3. Blue shows signs of four apps snap. I think paning would be the solution for windowing.

I think live tiles are an ingenious idea. A combination of icon and gadget. It's all about information these days.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Yah I mean Apps, which I refer to as Apps or Tiles, I refer to regular programs as Programs or applications.

I'm trying to populate my external Drive using the WD Tile, and it sleeps when in the background which is equivalent to doing absolutely nothing.

With iOS, you switch to another app and the app you set to do some work is still working and is done by the time you get back to it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
I see what you mean by applications, programs, and "apps". They should be called MS Store apps. I dual boot and do my business in 7. I have to upgrade my office 2000. I might go subscription since I'm retiring soon. Not sure.

Not quite sure what you mean yet. When I'm in 8 and let's say I have the Store Mail app open with an unfinished email then I go elsewhere temporarily, then return, the email's there for me to finish.

Are you speaking of a program that takes time to calculate things? Those sleep?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
@ fourthofjuly and other engineers, designers, architects, and enthusiasts.

Did you happen to see Bing's pic of the day? Here in the U.S. anyway. Bing

It's the first time I've seen these beauts. I bet perhaps Dubai, Sydney, and others are jealous of this project.

Can you imagine how much data is in that CAD's (or whatever program's) database? How much time it took to design and engineer? I couldn't imagine how many man hours it took to estimate to bid it, let alone build it. :eek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info

It's the first time I've seen these beauts. I bet perhaps Dubai, Sydney, and others are jealous of this project.

Can you imagine how much data is in that CAD's (or whatever program's) database? How much time it took to design and engineer? I couldn't imagine how many man hours it took to estimate to bid it, let alone build it. :eek:

seen it and thought it was in Dubai it was so big

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
I see what you mean by applications, programs, and "apps". They should be called MS Store apps. I dual boot and do my business in 7. I have to upgrade my office 2000. I might go subscription since I'm retiring soon. Not sure.

Not quite sure what you mean yet. When I'm in 8 and let's say I have the Store Mail app open with an unfinished email then I go elsewhere temporarily, then return, the email's there for me to finish.

No, apps that are doing things, updating, converting, even playing a video. Or, apps that I'm using to create content.

I can go to a different app and then go back and pick up from where I left off.

I have several apps like this in my Windows 8, they are supposed to populate a folder or a drive, they simply stop when you switch, and go back to step 1 when you come back and they have to repopulate all over again.

Actually I don't know if this is Windows 8 Programming, or programming for the Apps I am using. But every Tile I use, even facebook and twitter tiles, they go back to the login screen, they never go back to what I was doing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info

That's MAGNIFICENT.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info

seen it and thought it was in Dubai it was so big

LOL! That was my first thought. That's a lot of dough sitting there!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
I have several apps like this in my Windows 8, they are supposed to populate a folder or a drive, they simply stop when you switch, and go back to step 1 when you come back and they have to repopulate all over again.
I must be misunderstanding something here.

As long as I do not close a Windows App (all my Windows 8 rigs), it's just suspended when I switch to another app. If I start a game of Solitaire or Mahjong then switch to a news app opening an article, when I return to Solitaire the game is exactly where I left it and continues from there. And again, switching back to news app, the article I was reading is there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP ENVY 17-1150eg
    CPU
    1.6 GHz Intel Core i7-720QM Processor
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Beats sound system with integrated subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" laptop display, 22" LED and 32" Full HD TV through HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900 (1), 1920*1080 (2&3)
    Hard Drives
    Internal: 2 x 500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm
    External: 2TB for backups, 3TB USB3 network drive for media
    Cooling
    As Envy runs a bit warm, I have it on a Cooler Master pad
    Keyboard
    Logitech diNovo Media Desktop Laser (bluetooth)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX1000 Laser (Bluetooth)
    Internet Speed
    50 MB VDSL
    Browser
    Maxthon 3.5.2., IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender 4.3.9431.0
    Other Info
    Windows in English, additional user accounts in Finnish, German and Swedish.

No, apps that are doing things, updating, converting, even playing a video. Or, apps that I'm using to create content.

I can go to a different app and then go back and pick up from where I left off.

Actually I don't know if this is Windows 8 Programming, or programming for the Apps I am using. But every Tile I use, even facebook and twitter tiles, they go back to the login screen, they never go back to what I was doing.

Hmm. Interesting. I never noticed that. Thanks for the info. :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
If it was so easy why didn't the "old girl" figure it out? :D

Have you ever thought that perhaps MS might have made it a little more difficult for the commoner to get at system settings so they don't screw the system up? One gets three months support with 8. How much do you think MS or any business spends on that department? Is it evil that a business attempts to keep this at a minimal as much as possible? Besides, when all else fails, READ the help files. They've been around a long time.

Lol! There's a thread here recently on the Snippet tool. A few of us (including me) were trying to figure out the problem, when lo and behold someone posted that it was in the help file. Go figure. :p

The 'old girl' finds the tablet easy to use, but at 80+, configuring things is a little harder, or removing stuff her daughter added.

But I was talking at how easy it was for someone with a bit of computer knowledge to access the controls that allows you to fully configure the tablet. Windows has all of these as well, but they are hidden. So for a tablet or phone, why shouldn't Windows RT/Windows Phone be just as simple, both are effectively based on apps?

Even in Windows 8, why do so many controls have to be hidden? I understood that Windows 8 was more for power users. The only way to make things easier is to invoke GodMode.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
I FOUND A METRO APP I LIKE! Haha!

"angry birds space"

It's good, it's real good. But it was made by a real app developer, not in a living room. They got the gravity to simulate very well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
This probably means nothing :shock:

moveym.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
The only way to make things easier is to invoke GodMode.

Who needs godmode? 8 pro has all the mmc snapins available.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
Even in Windows 8, why do so many controls have to be hidden? I understood that Windows 8 was more for power users.

You mean why are there no controls on the start screen? They are in all apps > 1 click

There are no controls on the Windows 7 desktop (all are hidden in the start menu)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4