Windows 8 is depressing PC sales in record numbers

PC sales are plummeting because consumers are confused and unhappy with Windows 8, and there's no end in sight. So concludes an IDC report, which says the sinking sales are the worst it's ever seen.
O'Donnell adds that he doesn't expect Microsoft to admit its mistakes and make significant changes, telling the Seattle Times:
"I think this is the pride before the fall – because they are unwilling to make those changes, because it would show them as having given up or lost on their radical new vision."​
Windows 8 is depressing PC sales in record numbers, warns IDC | Computerworld Blogs

Do you think M$ will get its head out of the sand any time soon?

On exactly the same machine, Windows 7 boots faster, not that boot time matters much to me. The operation of programs is no faster on Windows 8 than 7, so that's no compelling argument either. The underlying OS improvements are positives for Windows 8, but I still haven't heard whether the System Restore function works. On an aesthetics note, the more I use Windows 8, the less I actually like the very flat look Microsoft has adopted.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Windows 8 will bring up the programs faster due to the striping out of the eye candy that is in Windows 7. With an SSD all is moot no difference between Windows 8 and Windows 7. Windows 8 has more bugs than my Bee Hives.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    System Manufacturer/Model
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
I agree with everyone who believes kindles, iPod's etc. are affecting desktop pc sales.
75% of the kids walk to & from the bus stop looking down at their portable online connection device.

Who knows, with everyone absorbed in those 'portable online connection devices' , they may become the peacekeepers of the future.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
It's one of those computer mysteries.
Some hardware/software products work for some people and fail for others. :confused:

I've seen comments from:
  • W8 Lovers claiming it's faster and runs every program ever written.
  • W8 Haters claiming it's slower and most programs are broken

Apart from the boot speed, I didn't notice any performance improvement, or degradation, when I was using the 4 W8 Previews.

Really? The "Score" tells it all, on Windows 7, my score is 3 or less, on Windows 8, its at least 3.4 - Based on the Graphics cards I use, which are the slowest things on the system. But there is marked improvement with all my scores, not just graphics.

On my machines, the tale is told by VideoLAN. On Windows 7, Video playback starts and stops, especially watching 1080 stuff. On Windows 8, the 1080 stuff plays without one glitch, without dropping one frame. Even when the drives are optimizing, and I have that set to daily.

I think the main thing is I no longer use Eset NOD32 antivirus, that was slowing me down a bit, but even when I still had it installed, it was still faster overall.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Ray8 - The System Restore does not work on at least one of my systems. Does not even come up. But I was trying to start it through the Troubleshooting area, not from the main GUI.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Ray8 - The System Restore does not work on at least one of my systems. Does not even come up. But I was trying to start it through the Troubleshooting area, not from the main GUI.

I've been trying to run it from the normal dialogue box and it simply does not work. There's still some debate as to whether this is an issue with dual boot systems or Windows 8 itself. Windows 8 has introduced some new restore features and the traditional System Restore has been problematic for many. System Restore is one of the most useful features Windows has ever had and I'd hate for it to be lost with future versions.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
I just created a system restore point, I'll try restoring tomorrow am and I'll let you know if it worked.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Hahaha! Love Coke's Posts.

True. PC sales were bound to fall no matter what but advertising Metro on PC monitors on the shelves made things far worse because it doesn't show what a PC is for, it's not a mark for professional use (to say the least!!!), it's anti-geek, it's not symbolical of performance like speed and heavy duty. etc.

I think I agree, I've gone to all of the big stores where are trying to sell Win 8 PC's - And all they show is the Metro "Tablet-Top" - I think if the stores would show a few PC's running in Desktop Mode, it would be better. I think the people who buy PC's - See the Metro Interface, and go WHAAAT? Where's My Windows? And then go buy a Mac. To make sales better, MS has to SHOW that the Desktop is actually still there and runs better than it does in Windows 7.

Metros IS kind of "anti-geek" at first glance, when I first looked at it, I was asking, WHERE are the settings? Where are the Programs? I had to install it to find out. The demos they show at stores, have the desktop mode Locked Out, so potential customers can't see the full potential.

But - Even with sales "meager" as they apparently are, almost 80 million people have bought PCs, is that what I'm reading? That's not chopped Liver, that's 80 million Windows 8 Machines.

I think Microsoft needs to tweek their sales pitch a little, show people, all is not really lost. Metro is a choice as it stands now. If MS makes Metro the Only Choice, that will be the failure of Microsoft. If I were Microsoft, I'd ENSURE continued sales by making a version of Windows 8 that is Desktop-Only, just like they have Metro-Only versions. That way, people can choose how they wish to run it. They do have the choice, but it is not clear that the choice is there, if all you see are the store demos.

There are people who have hated Windows 8 here, and then later turn around and say it's actually not that bad, ONCE THEY HAVE USED IT. If everyone hated it and didn't try it, there would be a problem. But since there are people that will give it a go and realize the bad hype around it is literally idiotic and makes those who keep hyping it that way look like a bunch of rabid, deranged, radiated monkeys.

Hahaha! Well, that was ME. I Hated it, but I just hated the IDEA of it. Until I tried it for myself and saw, I CAN run my programs on it.
Those PC displays do have the Desktop on display.... you click the Desktop tile... They have UAC controls on them so you don't install something stupid on there. Even the Windows display loop shows, "Work on your familiar Desktop." That is actually there, you have to ACTUALLY watch the demo loops to show that there are new things about Windows 8 and familiar things about it. There is NOTHING "locked down" or whatever nonsense, that's Windows RT.

And that would be REALLY stupid to have a "Desktop only" version of Windows when it can literally take less than five minutes to arrange Windows that way. Apparently it must be too "anti-geek" to have some "geeks" not be able to figure that simple fact out. This right here is WHY I don't feel Windows 8 takes anything away from the Desktop, it's just like Windows 7 but MUCH better. I have what I used to use on the start menu on the Start Screen, except I can navigate that new part of the UI MUCH quicker and easier than in 7. The Start Screen is Desktop dependent IF you set it up that way, that's why it's called a PC not a mac, it's a Personal Computer able to adapt to YOUR personal preferences. Been that way since forever...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
It's one of those computer mysteries.
Some hardware/software products work for some people and fail for others. :confused:

I've seen comments from:
  • W8 Lovers claiming it's faster and runs every program ever written.
  • W8 Haters claiming it's slower and most programs are broken

Apart from the boot speed, I didn't notice any performance improvement, or degradation, when I was using the 4 W8 Previews.

With Office 2013 and 8, there is a slight faster speed to it than 7 and 2010.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 and 8 is faster for SURE than KIS 2012 and 7.

Some examples there, but overall nothing gets slow. There isn't a UI lag ANYWHERE. I remember in 7 sometimes that would happen. On older hardware, 7 was better than vista, but still pounded it. With 8, it can literally run better on an xp era PC than Windows xp itself.

Newer software will run faster on Windows 8 for sure.

With PC gaming, there have been certain games that get several FPS more than 7 (because of WDDM 1.2 in 8 and newer drivers) sometimes not. Some games that had difficulty installing in 7 installs and runs like a champ in 8.

Mileage varies.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I agree with everyone who believes kindles, iPod's etc. are affecting desktop pc sales.
75% of the kids walk to & from the bus stop looking down at their portable online connection device.

Who knows, with everyone absorbed in those 'portable online connection devices' , they may become the peacekeepers of the future.

Or the hood ornaments of the future...:roflmao:

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.

I've been trying to run it from the normal dialogue box and it simply does not work. There's still some debate as to whether this is an issue with dual boot systems or Windows 8 itself. Windows 8 has introduced some new restore features and the traditional System Restore has been problematic for many. System Restore is one of the most useful features Windows has ever had and I'd hate for it to be lost with future versions.

I don't dual-boot, Ray, and don't have UEFI. My System Restore seems to work fine.
It lets me create my own restore points and will restore from them without a problem.
In fact, I only put this to the test the other day while testing a program. It's always
restored ok from its own restore points.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
I guess it could then be just a dual boot issue.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Really? The "Score" tells it all, on Windows 7, my score is 3 or less, on Windows 8, its at least 3.4 - Based on the Graphics cards I use, which are the slowest things on the system. But there is marked improvement with all my scores, not just graphics.

The WEI scores on Windows 7 is on a scale of 1 to 7.9 the WEI scores on Windows 8 is on a scale of 1 to 9.9 you cannot compare the two because they are on different scales. M$ pulling a fast one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
M$ pulling a fast one.
Not really. Just updating it for current hardware. It is a relative score, you know. What would be the point in "pulling a fast one" on this matter? How would it help Microsoft one bit?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS x54c
    CPU
    Pentium 1.6Ghz
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Yes, PC sales are plummeting. Sales are plummeting on otherthings as well. I believe that if a person needs a PC he's/she's going to buyone. I honestly do not think that just because they now come with Windows 8installed will keep the person from purchasing a PC. But that is only anopinion. Who really knows for sure why things happen the way they do? There aremore questions in this world than there are answers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    HP Pavilion g7-120us Notebook
    Memory
    8 GIG
M$ pulling a fast one.
Not really. Just updating it for current hardware. It is a relative score, you know. What would be the point in "pulling a fast one" on this matter? How would it help Microsoft one bit?

By making you think your hardware is faster when it is NOT.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
M$ pulling a fast one.

Sort of had the opposite effect for me. While my system came close to max'ing out the WEI under 7, it's reported a little higher under Win 8. But it is nowhere near the Win8 maximum of 9.9. Makes me wonder what sort of hardware would be required to approach that. Dual 8 core Xeons? A couple of GTX Titans in SLI? PCI-E SSDs?

I suppose that MS might be playing tricks, that would work on those savvy enough to know that WEI exists, but dim enough to believe that WEI numbers can be compared across different OSes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Window 8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    homebuilt
    CPU
    I7-3930k
    Motherboard
    Asus P9X79 Pro
    Memory
    16 GB Gskill DDR3-2133
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA GTX 680
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster Zx
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus PA246Q
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force GT 120GB
    WD Cavair Black 1.5TB
    PSU
    PC Power & cooling Silencer 750
    Case
    Silverstone FT02B-W
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14 w/ PWM fans
    Keyboard
    cheap Logitech USB wired
    Mouse
    old 5 button Microsoft USB optical
    Internet Speed
    6Mb cable
M$ pulling a fast one.

You do know they also changed it from Vista to 7, and it went the opposite direction, right? Why would they care about people's perception of their hardware? If they're colluding with hardware companies, they'd want them to think it was slower, not faster. Quit looking for conspiracies and think about what you're saying.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS x54c
    CPU
    Pentium 1.6Ghz
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Looking at Best Buy and they have more PC's with Windows 7 then Windows 8. So its not the OS that is stopping sales its the economy.

View attachment 19913

Jim :cool:

Finally the economic situation puts people off buying what is normally regarded as a luxury product -- although we are beginning to turn the corner on this one (at last).

You can forget rubbish reports from people like IDC and especially Gartner -- those people are just JUNK.

Windows 8 / Windows 7 / whatever OS really has very little to do directly with PC sales (or lack of them).

Right on, guys. :thumbup: It's not due to the OS IMO. It has a lot to do with the economy. Although showing signs of improvement as of late as Jimbo stated, people are afraid to spend their money. Sales in all sectors are still down, especially on big items. When unemployment lowers as we've seen here in the States then people will ease up on their wallets for they'll feel more secure. Unemployment in Europe continues to be high as I understand it. Not sure on the rest of the world.

If anything, 8 is slowing sales because it does run better on older hardware. Personally if 8 didn't come along, I'd be out buying a new desktop PC this year for I was thinking on that order, but it runs much faster and more stable than 7 on my older Acer, so no need to now. I plan on buying a mobile hybrid instead.

We were all born with a common problem no matter what income level we're at -> Cash flow. Unemployment, fear of spending, investing, or borrowing money is still too high. Throw the high cost of energy into the factor also.

Let's hope these signs of recovery continue. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Quit looking for conspiracies and think about what you're saying.

M$ had a finding of fact in a court of law on abusing there monopoly so nothing new here. There judgment ended in 2013.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb