Windows 8 is depressing PC sales in record numbers

PC sales are plummeting because consumers are confused and unhappy with Windows 8, and there's no end in sight. So concludes an IDC report, which says the sinking sales are the worst it's ever seen.
O'Donnell adds that he doesn't expect Microsoft to admit its mistakes and make significant changes, telling the Seattle Times:
"I think this is the pride before the fall – because they are unwilling to make those changes, because it would show them as having given up or lost on their radical new vision."​
Windows 8 is depressing PC sales in record numbers, warns IDC | Computerworld Blogs

Do you think M$ will get its head out of the sand any time soon?

New PC owners will be just as confused with Windows 8 as they were with Windows 7, XP, ME, 3.1

People don't like change. Period.

Then you have the small niche enthusiasts who want the UI on their smartphones and computers to change drastically every week or they go in to chimp rage about lack of innovation.

Unfortunately, the media hears the latter, vocal minority and reports it as gospel.

There's also people who don't want constant change but do want steady improvement. Of course, acknowledging them isn't helpful to your case, is it? Metro is a natural evolution of computer interfaces. It's not like the constant modifications MS makes to the desktop environment with every single release. It's a necessary change, not one of the stupid superficial ones.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS x54c
    CPU
    Pentium 1.6Ghz
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Windows 8 is putting a notebook/smartphone OS on a desktop computer. Most potential customers of desktops recognize this and reject it. The question is why do I need to by a desktop if it only replicates a smartphone? Customers who buy a desktop want an OS that is designed for the desktop. Microsoft has spent many year in designing and refining a desktop OS and now they have abandoned it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX8320
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD 7870
New PC owners will be just as confused with Windows 8 as they were with Windows 7, XP, ME, 3.1

Then you have the small niche enthusiasts who want the UI on their smartphones and computers to change drastically every week or they go in to chimp rage about lack of innovation.

Unfortunately, the media hears the latter, vocal minority and reports it as gospel.

It's not like the constant modifications MS makes to the desktop environment with every single release. It's a necessary change, not one of the stupid superficial ones.

Like Aero design....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
It's a necessary change

The customers are loving it.

Windows 8 is also brand new. Like you yourself just acknowledged, they never like anything new. Why is this so hard to get?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS x54c
    CPU
    Pentium 1.6Ghz
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Windows 8 is putting a notebook/smartphone OS on a desktop computer. Most potential customers of desktops recognize this and reject it. The question is why do I need to by a desktop if it only replicates a smartphone? Customers who buy a desktop want an OS that is designed for the desktop. Microsoft has spent many year in designing and refining a desktop OS and now they have abandoned it.

Why was there a desktop OS on a laptop when it's not a desktop?

And I honestly doubt people ask themselves that question when they go buy a desktop, as if you haven't seen in the new in the past couple years, not many are even buying a desktop to begin with.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

It's not like the constant modifications MS makes to the desktop environment with every single release. It's a necessary change, not one of the stupid superficial ones.

Like Aero design....
Yes, like Aero. The system behind it, replacing GDI etc were great, but changing the look was unnecessary. I still think the old Windows 2000 style looks superior and less invasive than either Aero or Luna. That said, the new "Metroesque" Windows 8 desktop design looks better than either of them. I just hope they stick with it, rather than immediately replacing it again like they seem to be so eager to do usually.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS x54c
    CPU
    Pentium 1.6Ghz
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender

Like Aero design....
Yes, like Aero. The system behind it, replacing GDI etc were great, but changing the look was unnecessary. I still think the old Windows 2000 style looks superior and less invasive than either Aero or Luna. That said, the new "Metroesque" Windows 8 desktop design looks better than either of them. I just hope they stick with it, rather than immediately replacing it again like they seem to be so eager to do usually.

Heavily doubt they will, they have already invested a LOT between different products to ditch it. The most they will do is improve it for sure.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
If you want to boost PC sales, show a classic desktop!

PC sales are drepessed not because of W8 but because of the way they advertise them: In the most stupid and most buyer repulsive way: by showing the Start Screen on the monitor.
Seriousely when you see something as idiotic as this:
bring-classic-start-menu-back-windows-8.w654.jpg

Poeple don't get the point of buying a PC anymore if it does the same as what their tablet or cell phone does!
It's ILLOGICAL to show this when you want to advert the advantages of a PC. Poeple don't want something that dumb and they don't understand what it is and what the machine is for.
They think it's an oversized mobile phone or something with very limited capabilities, usable for just what it's showed on the add. They don't know there is a real desktop, real possibilities and even better hardware performance hiding behind Metro mickey-mouse cover. They don't know that it can be disabled and be turned into a real computer as we know it.
If you want to boost PC sales, show a classic desktop! (but they want to boost tablet sales )

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
PC sales are drepessed not because of W8 but because of the way they advertise them: In the most stupid and most buyer repulsive way: by showing the Start Screen on the monitor.
Seriousely when you see something as idiotic as this:
bring-classic-start-menu-back-windows-8.w654.jpg

Poeple don't get the point of buying a PC anymore if it does the same as what their tablet or cell phone does!
It's ILLOGICAL to show this when you want to advert the advantages of a PC. Poeple don't want something that dumb and they don't understand what it is and what the machine is for.
They think it's an oversized mobile phone or something with very limited capabilities, usable for just what it's showed on the add. They don't know there is a real desktop, real possibilities and even better hardware performance hiding behind Metro mickey-mouse cover. They don't know that it can be disabled and be turned into a real computer as we know it.
If you want to boost PC sales, show a classic desktop! (but they want to boost tablet sales )
Subjective, because if people were shown a similar Windows 7 desktop, they still wouldn't upgrade either way as if there is not visceral thing to be had, they wouldn't go through the hassle of upgrade for what? Just Hybrid Boot?

I was told by a friend, someone in his Calculus 3 class or programming class about this guy that hated Windows 8 and said it sucked and whatnot, basically like some on this forum. He installed it oddly for some reason on his laptop, then he started singing praises of how Windows 8 is actually pretty awesome.

And no, when shown something like the Start Screen, no average person thinks, "Wow, this is so stupid, I want to a classic Desktop and not this MIP interface!" It's more like, "Hmm, odd, what is this, it looks interesting because it's really different and I've never seen anything like it before?" Also, where would they get the assumption it's for mobile phones? Do people use Windows Phones more than reported or something?

If Microsoft kept Windows 8 like Windows 7, PC sales would still fall off a cliff. No one would upgrade form 7 to 8 when 8 would be just a 7.1 update. There isn't anything new to be had, only under the hood changes that most people wouldn't care so much for. People have already shifted from a desktop PC to a laptop PC and they're going for tablets. Windows 7's UI can't support that properly. That's just the facts of the situation.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
True. PC sales were bound to fall no matter what but advertising Metro on PC monitors on the shelves made things far worse because it doesn't show what a PC is for, it's not a mark for professional use (to say the least!!!), it's anti-geek, it's not symbolical of performance like speed and heavy duty. etc.
Subjective? Yes but believe me a lot of poeple are feeling that this kind of interface is stupid and are not willing to try it, from what they see. And the sad part of it, is as you said, poeple who pretend to hate it because they know it only on the surface (pun not intended) could love it once they use it for real.
You know Coke, the first time I saw on the internet a screenshot of Metro I thought somebody made a joke, a caricature of OS to expose M$'s lack of serious or something. It took me three days to realize it wasn't. ...then I joined here. No kidding.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
True PC sales were bound to fall no matter what but advertising Metro on PC monitors on the shelves made things far worse because it doesn't show what a PC is for, it's not a mark for professional use (to say the least!!!), it's anti-geek, it's not symbolical of performance like speed and heavy duty. etc.
Subjective? Yes but believe me a lot of poeple are feeling that this is kind of interface is stupid and are not willing to try it, from what they see. And the sad part of it, is as you said, poeple who pretend to hate it because they know it only on the surface (pun not intended) could love it once they use it for real.
You know Coke, the first time I saw on the internet a screenshot of Metro I thought somebody made a joke, a caricature of OS to expose M$'s lack of serious or something. It took me three days to realize it wasn't. ...then I joined here. No kidding.

Anti-geek? What?

There are people who have hated Windows 8 here, and then later turn around and say it's actually not that bad, ONCE THEY HAVE USED IT. If everyone hated it and didn't try it, there would be a problem. But since there are people that will give it a go and realize the bad hype around it is literally idiotic and makes those who keep hyping it that way look like a bunch of rabid, deranged, radiated monkeys.

That's you, not me. When I first saw Windows 8 (from the summer of 2011) I remember how the press were peeing themselves at how cool it was, how it could take down the ipad, and how it could be a lot of things. I remember first booting the Developer Preview and proclaiming, "Whoa!" It is different, and is going on a different path. Not many want to have the same old thing OVER and OVER and OVER again, it's why when you even ask some people with iphones what they think about it, you might actually get things like, "I wish they would update the interface." Even apple is going to update the UI of ios because it's dated, and especially so compared with android and Windows Phone, not regarding the fact that it is boring as it is. Thankfully, most people aren't you, or otherwise we'd still be on Windows 9x with beige desktops. :geek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
Hahaha! Love Coke's Posts.

True. PC sales were bound to fall no matter what but advertising Metro on PC monitors on the shelves made things far worse because it doesn't show what a PC is for, it's not a mark for professional use (to say the least!!!), it's anti-geek, it's not symbolical of performance like speed and heavy duty. etc.

I think I agree, I've gone to all of the big stores where are trying to sell Win 8 PC's - And all they show is the Metro "Tablet-Top" - I think if the stores would show a few PC's running in Desktop Mode, it would be better. I think the people who buy PC's - See the Metro Interface, and go WHAAAT? Where's My Windows? And then go buy a Mac. To make sales better, MS has to SHOW that the Desktop is actually still there and runs better than it does in Windows 7.

Metros IS kind of "anti-geek" at first glance, when I first looked at it, I was asking, WHERE are the settings? Where are the Programs? I had to install it to find out. The demos they show at stores, have the desktop mode Locked Out, so potential customers can't see the full potential.

But - Even with sales "meager" as they apparently are, almost 80 million people have bought PCs, is that what I'm reading? That's not chopped Liver, that's 80 million Windows 8 Machines.

I think Microsoft needs to tweek their sales pitch a little, show people, all is not really lost. Metro is a choice as it stands now. If MS makes Metro the Only Choice, that will be the failure of Microsoft. If I were Microsoft, I'd ENSURE continued sales by making a version of Windows 8 that is Desktop-Only, just like they have Metro-Only versions. That way, people can choose how they wish to run it. They do have the choice, but it is not clear that the choice is there, if all you see are the store demos.

There are people who have hated Windows 8 here, and then later turn around and say it's actually not that bad, ONCE THEY HAVE USED IT. If everyone hated it and didn't try it, there would be a problem. But since there are people that will give it a go and realize the bad hype around it is literally idiotic and makes those who keep hyping it that way look like a bunch of rabid, deranged, radiated monkeys.

Hahaha! Well, that was ME. I Hated it, but I just hated the IDEA of it. Until I tried it for myself and saw, I CAN run my programs on it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Right. "Only" 76.3 million units shipped worldwide in the first quarter, and that doesn't include convertibles.

To give you a frame of reference, their best guess at iPad Mini sales for this year will be 55 million total. Original iPad sales have cratered at least 50% since the introduction of the iPad Mini.

But apparently, its the PC thats 'dead'.

Yes, But! (There is always a But) - How many iPhones, iPads, AppleTV's etc have been sold as well? How many Apple devices that use iOS 6.x.x in total have been sold? Can't judge Apple sales from just one Product, but, Windows 8 PC's ARE the Product line. Add in, Tablets with Windows 8 and how many units is that? If there were an Apple PC product that was like a PC but ran iOS, how many would sell, how many people would want that?

I want to see that IDC sales chart with reference to ALL iOS Products sold in the same time period. Anyway, the report is to show the DROP in sales. HP, down 30% from the year before. Ouch.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Windows 8 may not have helped PC sales, but I really don't see any evidence that it's been the cause of their decline. The PC market has simply matured, pure and simple. There is no new growth, except maybe in some very poor third world countries, where people are less likely to use windows in the first place due to cost, or at least, less likely to obtain it legally.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Computer type
    Laptop
    ASUS x54c
    CPU
    Pentium 1.6Ghz
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I think Microsoft needs to tweek their sales pitch a little, show people, all is not really lost. Metro is a choice as it stands now. If MS makes Metro the Only Choice, that will be the failure of Microsoft. If I were Microsoft, I'd ENSURE continued sales by making a version of Windows 8 that is Desktop-Only, just like they have Metro-Only versions. That way, people can choose how they wish to run it. They do have the choice, but it is not clear that the choice is there, if all you see are the store demos.

And that's all you do see in the stores and the media advertising. Laptops without touch screens just sitting there and trying to find a so called expert in the store is impossible. But the fruit company products are on display and folks tend to look at those. MS really needs to get this sorted quick as it's not in anyone's interests for W8 to fail. They (MS) are rapidly loosing market share if you count desktop/laptop/tablet OS's. Sure attack the tablet market but also secure your existing user base. Just having W7 available with W8 mainly on display doesn't work. Your average buyer thinks they are not getting the latest with a W7 purchase so goes off to 'think about it'.

I've tried W8 and it's just not for me. Sure I can add a third party app to get the classic UI but what's the point when I've got a perfectly good W7 rig booting from a SSD. So give me (and others) a reason to upgrade because at this moment in time there are no real world benefits.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
I've tried Windows 8 and it's just not for me. Sure I can add a third party app to get the classic UI but what's the point when I've got a perfectly good W7 rig booting from a SSD. So give me (and others) a reason to upgrade because at this moment in time there are no real world benefits.

I've considered this, but the Windows 8 Desktop is SO MUCH faster on every computer where I originally had Windows 7 (or still have it as Dual Boot). It is, it's BLAZING fast. For me at least. I'm still using 6 year old Motherboards and Processors. I was worried Win 8 would not even run, but it does and that beautifully. I've got it on two AMD's, 4200+ and 4400+, and one Dell Precision 370, with a damn Socket 775 Pentium 4- Which was hard pressed with Windows 7, under windows 8 it's like butter.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Computer Mysteries

It's one of those computer mysteries.
Some hardware/software products work for some people and fail for others. :confused:

I've seen comments from:
  • W8 Lovers claiming it's faster and runs every program ever written.
  • W8 Haters claiming it's slower and most programs are broken

Apart from the boot speed, I didn't notice any performance improvement, or degradation, when I was using the 4 W8 Previews.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Back