Windows 8 Broke 7, 30 Day Music Business Test Results.

Reply to:
Coke Robot

Windows Media Player is required for Rhapsody to go, or what is called Rhapsody Premier. This means I don't have to be online and logged into the service to play music but the License is for use with Windows Media Player.

Windows 8 stripped "all" of this ability. This includes even if you purchased the app in 8 Pro because the program is for Microsoft apps not the stand alone player integration that previously existed with Windows Media Player and Rhapsody to go. You can't download the Rhapsody program in Windows 8. The program allows downloading and playlist generation. Windows Media Player is the core playback software when you are in online or offline mode. Microsoft killed this alliance when their desire to market xbox came into play with Windows 8 is what I have learned.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    System Manufacturer/Model
    asus s200e
    CPU
    i3
    Motherboard
    asus
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvedia
Windows Media Player and Microsoft managed the licensing rights in Rhapsody and it no longer exists and we have over 36,000 songs downloaded that are worthless in Windows 8. Long live Windows 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    asus s200e
    CPU
    i3
    Motherboard
    asus
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvedia
I don't recall ever seeing any kind of official statement from Microsoft that they endorsed Rhapsody in any way. What are you talking about?

Windows Media Player is still there in Windows 8. It still works just fine. I have no clue what you are going on about. It seems like not only did you not test your software, you actually have no clue what software is actually in Windows.

And it still doesn't explain why you pushed systems to your employees without ever having tested them. You complain about testing and how it's "monkey work" yet, you never bothered yourself?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Face it, 8 is horrible for PC but great for non-productive uses.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    asus s200e
    CPU
    i3
    Motherboard
    asus
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvedia
I disagree. Simply saying so does not make it so.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Reply to:
Coke Robot

Windows Media Player is required for Rhapsody to go, or what is called Rhapsody Premier. This means I don't have to be online and logged into the service to play music but the License is for use with Windows Media Player.

Windows 8 stripped "all" of this ability. This includes even if you purchased the app in 8 Pro because the program is for Microsoft apps not the stand alone player integration that previously existed with Windows Media Player and Rhapsody to go. You can't download the Rhapsody program in Windows 8. The program allows downloading and playlist generation. Windows Media Player is the core playback software when you are in online or offline mode. Microsoft killed this alliance when their desire to market xbox came into play with Windows 8 is what I have learned.
What you're saying seems to contradict what's fact.

Screenshot (51).png
Screenshot (54).png
This is Windows Media Player in Windows 8, just the same like in Windows 7, features and all. That feature isn't "stripped" out of Windows 8 at all, Media Center is however. If the Rhapsody software isn't installing in Windows 8, that's an issue with the software from Rhapsody that needs addressing with compatibility, even then, the software could be installed in compatibility mode. If that's true, I would imagine they would fix that considering they have an app for Windows Phone 7.

From what I understand so far, this is pretty much a hyperbole that Windows 8 isn't good enough or that Microsoft killed alliances or whatever. It's like freaking out that Internet Explorer is the default browser in Windows even though you used chrome or firefox before, and Windows decided to make you use IE. That's the thing about Windows, if you don't like using a program or it's not up to par, you find the appropriate program and set it as default. BAM! Problem solved.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Reply to:
Coke Robot

View attachment 15596
View attachment 15597
This is Windows Media Player in Windows 8, just the same like in Windows 7, features and all. That feature isn't "stripped" out of Windows 8 at all, Media Center is however. If the Rhapsody software isn't installing in Windows 8, that's an issue with the software from Rhapsody that needs addressing with compatibility, even then, the software could be installed in compatibility mode. If that's true, I would imagine they would fix that considering they have an app for Windows Phone 7.

From what I understand so far, this is pretty much a hyperbole that Windows 8 isn't good enough or that Microsoft killed alliances or whatever. It's like freaking out that Internet Explorer is the default browser in Windows even though you used chrome or firefox before, and Windows decided to make you use IE. That's the thing about Windows, if you don't like using a program or it's not up to par, you find the appropriate program and set it as default. BAM! Problem solved.

See if you can download Rhapsody and play it offline in Windows 8. Another issue, we must have multiple (side by side) windows open to be viewed at the same time. Windows 8 hides them and leaves desktop function limited. They need a Windows 8 for PC and one for Mobile not have both in one interface. They could sync data. Why do we need all of the tile clutter and useless data. It is not good for business. I like a clean spotless desktop and boot. I don't want to be required to sign into Microsoft to use my computer. That is pure repressed corporate control.

"Top complaint from tech savvy pro's is the company’s decision to run two interfaces – one for tablets and one for desktops – within the one OS. The choice to put two user interfaces within the one OS was a critical misstep that made Windows 8 problematic for any level of computer user. The tech cited learning and remembering where to find specific features, inconsistencies across the two setups, and the high interaction cost of switching between interfaces as the main issues caused by Microsoft’s design choice."
NOTE:*** With nearly 80 U.S. patents under his name, Nielsen, a former Sun Microsystems Distinguished Engineer with a PhD in human-computer interaction, knows his stuff. His list of Windows 8 problems continues to the lack of multiple browsing windows in the Modern UI. “The product’s very name has become a misnomer,” he bemoaned. ”‘Windows’ no longer supports multiple windows on the screen.” *** this is our very exact complaint in a long list of design failure.***

Nielsen noted that the OS requires a high learning curve because of the flat nature of the interface. There are no illusions of raised icons or inset fields that people have intuitively come to understand mean they can click on them or type in them. The flatness made it challenging for some of the testers to know where to go in order to complete basic tasks, such as changing the background color of the start screen.

This is just 1 of many complaints. Call Rhapsody and they will tell you xbox is the choice for Microsoft and Rhapsody to go (or Rhapsody Premier for offline playback) has been thrown a curve disrupting over 1 million windows users. I have used Rhapsody for many years and am very disappointed in this launch of windows 8. I don't need my PC to be a MOBILE DEVICE, it is a tool for work not play and widgets or gadgets. I have a tablet for play I want my PC back in 7 Professional (it was working fine, why break it???)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    asus s200e
    CPU
    i3
    Motherboard
    asus
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvedia
Reply to:
Coke Robot

View attachment 15596
View attachment 15597

See if you can download Rhapsody and play it offline in Windows 8. Another issue, we must have multiple (side by side) windows open to be viewed at the same time. Windows 8 hides them and leaves desktop function limited. They need a Windows 8 for PC and one for Mobile not have both in one interface. They could sync data. Why do we need all of the tile clutter and useless data. It is not good for business. I like a clean spotless desktop and boot. I don't want to be required to sign into Microsoft to use my computer. That is pure repressed corporate control.

"Top complaint from tech savvy pro's is the company’s decision to run two interfaces – one for tablets and one for desktops – within the one OS. The choice to put two user interfaces within the one OS was a critical misstep that made Windows 8 problematic for any level of computer user. The tech cited learning and remembering where to find specific features, inconsistencies across the two setups, and the high interaction cost of switching between interfaces as the main issues caused by Microsoft’s design choice."
NOTE:*** With nearly 80 U.S. patents under his name, Nielsen, a former Sun Microsystems Distinguished Engineer with a PhD in human-computer interaction, knows his stuff. His list of Windows 8 problems continues to the lack of multiple browsing windows in the Modern UI. “The product’s very name has become a misnomer,” he bemoaned. ”‘Windows’ no longer supports multiple windows on the screen.” *** this is our very exact complaint in a long list of design failure.***

Nielsen noted that the OS requires a high learning curve because of the flat nature of the interface. There are no illusions of raised icons or inset fields that people have intuitively come to understand mean they can click on them or type in them. The flatness made it challenging for some of the testers to know where to go in order to complete basic tasks, such as changing the background color of the start screen.

This is just 1 of many complaints. Call Rhapsody and they will tell you xbox is the choice for Microsoft and Rhapsody to go (or Rhapsody Premier for offline playback) has been thrown a curve disrupting over 1 million windows users. I have used Rhapsody for many years and am very disappointed in this launch of windows 8. I don't need my PC to be a MOBILE DEVICE, it is a tool for work not play and widgets or gadgets. I have a tablet for play I want my PC back in 7 Professional (it was working fine, why break it???)

I'm starting to think the three day workshop over Windows 8 you had didn't cover proper ground...

By default, yes, the OS defaults certain things to the new apps, but if take a few minutes to install your proper programs on the Desktop and change defaults, there isn't a SINGLE problem to be had. That's why the Start Screen is better than the menu because it offers the flexibility right there. If you work on the Desktop, you make it so. If you do things with the apps, you can have the Start Screen reflect that. Talk to anyone here that has used Windows 8 for a lot longer than the media has even covered it, and has used it daily since September 2011, they will tell you straight up there isn't a SINGLE thing that makes Windows 8 inferior. You don't need to be signing into a Microsoft account, the OOBE screen gives you the option RIGHT THERE at the bottom to make a local account, you just didn't see it. Whatsoever. Some people have been treating it superficially, using it for a few months, not even really trying to see what it can do, and complain about it. The people that like using it are doing something obviously right that others aren't. This is the problem more than anything.

Also, Microsoft didn't decide to make another phablet operating system off another smartphone OS. Why? It isn't effective and full of compromise and third party add ons.

Back to your Rhapsody issue, I'm not going to download and install the software as I don't have an account. I might to see if there are legitimate issues, but I feel lazy at the moment. Xbox Music is a service hosted by Microsoft that is an attempt to replace the Zune Software, Windows Media Player is still there. The Desktop is still there. Instead of making a big fuss about this and taking your time with the complaints, that time could had been used to learn the new things in Windows 8. Yes, there is a learning curve, but instead of avoiding it like the plague, it would be better to ask legitimate questions about the workings of Windows 8 and how to make it "act" more like Windows 7, such as pinning File Explorer locations, Desktop apps, uninstalling the unneeded apps, and defaulting some programs to certain media files. Effectively, if you had done that, you would had a big visual start menu that works faster than the menu counterpart.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
This is complete BS. Whose sock puppet are you?

If you're using only desktop apps, which are the exact same apps you would use on Windows 7, windows can be used side by side. You are under no requirement to use Metro apps, and virtually any app that ran on Windows 7 runs on Windows 8. For all intents and purposes, you can ignore Metro if you don't want to use it, and it works exactly like Windows 7 (particularly if you install a start menu replacement).

Anyone that complains about metro is doing so because they want to have something to complain about, not because there is any particular problem with running apps exactly as you did in Windows 7.

I will say it again, if all you're doing is using desktop apps, then there is no functional difference between Windows 7 and 8, other than the loss of Flip3D and the start menu, the latter of which can be solved by a start menu replacement for free or cheap.

So far, every complaint you've offered is either false (no WMP, unable to put desktop windows side-by-side), or uninformed. Yet you write as if you have personally verified everything, while never apparently testing anything before rolling it out into the field.

It's true that Windows 8 is not perfect. It's true that Metro is quite controversial and some people just refuse to like it. But it's also true that it's extremely simple to make Windows 8 work just like Windows 7, and anyone that didn't just want to complain could solve their issues in a few minutes.

Great, you don't like Windows 8. But please stop making rubbish up.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
To the OP. As a business owner I'm sincerely sorry to read of your dilemma. I really am. But, one that I think is of your own making as some here are trying to explain. If I read you correct, I don't understand how you could put 15 computers out in the field that wouldn't or couldn't fulfill your needs without testing to know they could. But, let's not talk any further on the problem, but let's look for a solution.

Let me try to talk your language if I may. You're in business, correct? I'll assume it's a mixture of music DJing and karaoke, though it really doesn't matter. You're in business. It could be selling peanuts for all that goes. You're in it to make a profit. So is MS via software and/or services.

I think that with MS in "reimagining" themselves as we read and hear is more than what meets the eye. I believe they are becoming more diverse in their plan of business. We see some of this with their release of 8 with the Modern UI, the Microsoft Store entailing apps, the Surfaces, shifting music to Xbox, and the like. Just like you, they target markets.

I think we can all expect that MS will focus on getting more consumers to buy more products from them just as Apple, Google, and others in the business are. Some call this a conspiracy in forcing consumers to buy from them. Some think MS to be a monopoly in a position to the force this. I see it as plain old capitalism. We can and still opt to use choices within free enterprise.

With their new plan as of late we've been seeing less of the "Mr. Nice Guy" Microsoft with giving some of the extra software as in the past. I'm quite sure I've been "spoiled" by this as I think others have been also. I think MS to be tired of companies of what I call "sponging" off their OSs for profit without their cut of the pie. Apple, Google, and others are, so why not MS? It's not that these companies are trying to oust or put others out of business, but rather them seeking their piece of the pie. Product quality control is another reason. Piracy another.

How many times have we heard someone loading a program, having problems with it, and blaming it on the OS? Bottom line -> if one doesn't comply -> It'll be goodbye.

The way I see it that if Rhapsody doesn't comply, then it's goodbye, if that be the case. It's not MS's or 8's fault. They're a company seeking profit through a product or service just as you, me, and others are.

Just my thoughts. I hope all works out for you. I wish you well. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
By the way, I'm pretty sure you're not legally licensed to publicly perform music you download from Rhapsody. The terms of service are pretty clear that it's for personal use and may not be used for any commercial purpose.

Rhapsody Service Terms of Use

"Your request to "purchase" a track by downloading is personal to you, and the track may not be used, sold, rented, transferred, licensed or otherwise provided to any other user. License to downloaded tracks include only those rights explicitly stated in the Service (typically, the right to play back for your own personal use from your personal computer, CD player, digital player, or other personal consumer electronic device), and, for the avoidance of doubt, do not include the right to create a derivative work, to make copies other than for your own personal use, or to use it in any commercial manner."

So i'm not sure you have much of a leg to stand on anyways, regarding your business not working with this. Legally speaking, you aren't supposed to be doing it anyways.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
@Rockwelltek,

It is the same 3 obsessives who jump on anything they perceive as even the mildest criticism.

It is as if you told them they have an ugly baby.

It is very funny.

MS stripped out functions from this thing and put in a useless and annoying phone style ui together with some crapware.

It doesn't seem to be flying off the shelves - no surprise there.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I can't speak for the three you mentioned, but I did buy an app through the Microsoft Store on LW8OD (Loving Windows 8 Obsessive Disorder). :p

And speaking of babies! Did you see Bing's pic today? What a coincodence! It's somebody's baby....

View attachment 15656

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
If nothing else...I sure did enjoy reading every post in this thread topic...it was a hoot for sure. The hostility and testosterone is flying all about...I had to duck and get out of the way a few times but that was well worth it for the read. :thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom build
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X 4 965 BE
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4
    Memory
    G-Skill 8 GB PC 8500
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD XFX HD Radeon 6790D
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2l Samsung SyncMaster S20B300
    Screen Resolution
    1600 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Barracuda 320 GB w/OS
    Seagate Barracuda 1 TB data storage
    PSU
    Ultra X4 750 watt fully modular
    Case
    Thermaltake OverSeer RX 1 fulltower
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper212 120mm
    Keyboard
    Logitech G510
    Mouse
    Razor DeathAdder 3.5
Those that have attacked my issues with Rhapsody, Windows 8 and other flaws in the UI truly lack any experience in my field. Rhapsody DOES HAVE A PREMIER TO GO - FOR THE SIMPLETON - MEANS PLAY PROTABLE OFFLINE - HENCE THE LICENSE FOR "TO GO" FOR PORTABLE PLAYING. The other who is just to lazy to try it clearly demonstrates how out of touch Microsoft is with Windows 8 consumers and know they have a dysfunctional design team of support engineers. Why have key design team leaders who have left Microsoft with mutual consent? Microsoft Windows 8 has a problem and I have been using the WINDOWS OS since 1993. I am stuck with them and will use Windows 7 Pro. NEVER TO BE A WINDOWS 8 BUTCHER BABY. It is clear there are no solutions to be found here, just droll defense players of 8 banter.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    asus s200e
    CPU
    i3
    Motherboard
    asus
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvedia
Should read portable offline, my apologies.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    asus s200e
    CPU
    i3
    Motherboard
    asus
    Memory
    4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvedia
those that have attacked my issues with rhapsody, windows 8 and other flaws in the ui truly lack any experience in my field. Rhapsody does have a premier to go - for the simpleton - means play protable offline - hence the license for "to go" for portable playing. The other who is just to lazy to try it clearly demonstrates how out of touch microsoft is with windows 8 consumers and know they have a dysfunctional design team of support engineers. Why have key design team leaders who have left microsoft with mutual consent? Microsoft windows 8 has a problem and i have been using the windows os since 1993. I am stuck with them and will use windows 7 pro. Never to be a windows 8 butcher baby. It is clear there are no solutions to be found here, just droll defense players of 8 banter.
There have been solutions being offered. You're just refusing to use them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Wow. Just. Wow.

You do understand there is a difference between using music you have downloaded for personal use, and using it commercially. There is also a difference between playing it for your own private use, and playing it publicly.

This is from the End User License Agreement:
Rhapsody End User License Agreement

"RI complies with copyright law and expects its users to do the same. You may not use the Application to help you infringe the copyrights of any third party. Unauthorized use, copying, distribution, modification, public display, or public performance of copyrighted works is an infringement of the copyright holders' rights and a violation of the law."

Don't get angry because you are ignorant of the law, or want to pretend it doesn't apply to you. I really don't care whether you violate the law or not, I am just pointing out that your usage of it in your business is not legal anyways, so arguing that your business would suffer if you had to license the music legally is ironic.

The other ironic part is that you complain about how much the songs cost, yet you just went out and bought a bunch of high end laptops. You seem to have no problem spending money when it's not related to the music. I doubt the RIAA or ASCAP will be impressed with your claims of hardship.

Like I said, I don't care if you're breaking the law or not, but don't sit here and try to tell us that you can legally do something that is quite clearly not legal.

Let's see.. you say you have 36,000 songs, x at least 10 systems doing public performances... You could be liable for several billion dollars in fines (each song is $2000+ per violation). I really wouldn't be bragging about that online if I were you. The RIAA is very rabid about that sort of thing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
If you look at my profile, you'll see that one of my interests is singing. I've been kara-croak-ing for years. :D I've gotten to know a half dozen people in the business who also DJ other events such as weddings, parties, etc. A couple are very close friends of mine. I've never heard of Rhapsody used in a karaoke or DJ business before, so I had to question that off the bat myself.

I followed Mystere's links to the Rhapsody Service Terms of Use and Rhapsody End User License Agreement. I briefly read through them, especially the parts he pointed out, which happens to be correct for I decided to email Rhapsody directly:

Hello there. I belong to a premium online forum. There was a new member that posted there complaining about a certain OS not being able to run Rhapsody services. He claims to have a Premier To Go licenses for "portable listening" involving several computers in which he uses for a commercial DJ business. Is it legal for him to do such or is the service for personal use only? I read in your agreement that it is not legal.

Thanks for your time.

This was their response a few minutes ago:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Rhapsody Customer Support.

I understand that you need clarification about using Rhapsody on a commercial DJ business. I apologize for any inconvenience caused. Certainly, I will assist you.

As you said, Rhapsody music is for personal, non-commercial use only. Hence, the customer who posted in the online forum is wrong and it is illegal.

If you would like to speak to someone directly, please call our Customer Service at 1-8?6-5?7-5?0?. Monday - Friday, 6:00 am to 6:00 pm - Pacific Time : Saturday & Sunday, 7:30 am-5 pm Pacific Time.

If there is anything else I can assist you with, please reply to this e-mail.

Thank you,

Victoria

Rhapsody Customer Support

No, I won't be doing any further contacting, thank you.

I don't think I'd be complaining or bragging online either. :think:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Hi there
using a computer to play music in any case is so OLD HAT these days -- what's wrong with your smartphone - much more convenient anyway you look at it -- can be used anywhere even if no computer network / Wi-Fi so long as you have a mobile signal - or play music on local storage - up to 32 GB with ext sd micro card and another 32 GB (max) on the phone's internal storage.

The whole W8 argument is getting a bit pointless -- in fact the whole distinction of what you use a DEVICE for should really be analysed.

Do you really need to be "tethered" to a computer at all these days. OK in an office doing "traditional things" a computer is necessary but decent "Touch " type of applications will make a lot of jobs so much easier. Now I'm not talking about those ghastly "Metro" type thingeys but properly developed applications which will come such as good touch interfaces for things like Photoshop, good drag 'n 'drop for automatic charting and spread sheet applications and a whole host of others.

In a DJ booth I'd think that being able to select a track by touch rather than have to mess around with a keyboard would be much better too -- and possibly a tablet here even better than a PC.

For traditional I.T support work such as maintaining / running servers, housekeeping tasks etc then I agree Windows 8 doesn't bring anything to the table - but these types of guys usually run this stuff in cmd mode anyway and can run on their own desktops anything they like.

Call centers also tend to need traditional desktops - but I HATE the whole Call center experience - and I'm sure with more online chat type applications the modern Call Center is essentially DEAD - and can't die quick enough for me --I NEVER again will use one of these. If I get a menu choose a, b , c etc I'll just hang up and send a Fax instead --usually gets quicker results too.

From the point of view of a USER rather than as someone in I.T you have etc ask yourself what is it people in offices actually DO these days.

If it's HR a decent touch application could work far better than complex systems like ORACLE, SAP ESS / HCM etc.
If it's stock ,management / re-ordering / customer follow up - again new touch applications could easily replace the old manual database query type of stuff.
Any type of marketing / product design etc -- certainly touch here would be very welcome.

Loads and loads more.

Some will like it, others will come round after seeing it in action for a while . a few diehards will never embrace it just as even today there are some people who refuse to have anything to do with ANY computer whatever OS it's running.

Remember also W8 is part of an evolving process -- perhaps the way its implemented touch isn't good -- but newer more advanced and "user friendly" apps will surely come. One has to start somewhere.

Even the ever increasing popularity of the Bicycle started off with the almost impossible to ride "Penny Farthing". If people had given up we wouldn't have had bikes today.

Cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• penny.png
    penny.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,686

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop