Windows 8.1 won't rescue PC market this year, IDC says

DG News Service - The PC market will weaken even further this year and Microsoft's upcoming Windows 8.1 OS will be unable to reverse the drop in shipments, IDC said Thursday. Due in part to increased adoption of mobile devices globally and a drop in PC sales in China, shipments will shrink 9.7% in 2013, according to IDC, which previously had predicted a fall of 7.7% drop.
With Windows 8, Microsoft has put a tablet-like touch user interface on PCs, which has baffled users buying non-touch PCs. Touch laptops remain expensive, and PC makers expect enterprises to upgrade laptops to the Windows 7 OS. The Windows 8 OS and high prices of PCs are reasons why people are looking at attractively priced tablets instead, Chou said.
Windows 8.1 won't rescue PC market this year, IDC says - Computerworld

There is a simple way for everyday PCs to not have to deal with updates, malware etc.: unplug from the internet, like your microwave....

I expect this was humor... unplugging would make it unusable.
(Since most generic users nowadays are mostly into social media)

So you want the generic user to buy a PC in 2005. throughout the years it never gets updated (not even new browser) and in 2015 that user still is safe and able to use whatever social media he uses?

Since every OS or other software frequently gets updates, don't you think they are onto something? Or do you think that every software company basically is stupid and you are the only one who has the genius insight that updates could be avoided?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro 64
    CPU
    Core i3 3.3 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB 1600 MHz
    Hard Drives
    SSD Samsung 830 128 GB
So you want the generic user to buy a PC in 2005. throughout the years it never gets updated (not even new browser) and in 2015 that user still is safe and able to use whatever social media he uses?

I don't want anything. Throw away devices are common.
It makes no sense to keep a device that long in this era.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
Since every OS or other software frequently gets updates, don't you think they are onto something? Or do you think that every software company basically is stupid and you are the only one who has the genius insight that updates could be avoided?

I think software is pathetically poorly written and risky to use.
Microsoft Windows is a train wreck of compiled string sets that need to be constantly patched to make work.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
8.1 won't rescue the PC market but will add some interest.
Windows 7 is no better. It continues to need patching (security fixes or other updates) to function properly.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
These are the dark ages of technology. Infantile technology. The IQ level is in the dullard range. No one made any statements about a single function device except the responders.

That is rich.
You apparently have little/no comprehension (unless you are trolling) about how computers and software work, including malware.

It reminds me of the Linux fan boys, who claim that it is impossible for malware to run on computers using Linux-based operating systems.

BTW, Microwave ovens can cook thousands of products. It is not a single function device. You could say a PC is a single function device.
All it does is process data.

I should have written "Purpose" ("Function" was the wrong word).

A Microwave oven is a single purpose device - it generates microwaves.
The microwaves heat material placed into it - the outcome is always heated affected material.

A computer's single function (if it even can be described as such) is the transfer of data from a source (e.g. storage, HID, Network, etc.) to the processor to generate an output.
The processor manipulates the data based on a set of rules - the generated outcome is entirely dependent on the processing rules.

The manipulation of data is what makes a computer a multifunction device.
Any given block of data can be interpreted/processed in many different ways:
  • Text
  • Mathematical formulae
  • Database entries
  • Music
  • Video
  • Picture
  • Program code
The multifunction computer doesn't care what the data is supposed to be and that is why data can be used to create malware.

A single function computer that can't run data as a program will be immune.
For example, a graphics processor in a TV: "Processing Rule = This data is a picture."
The worst outcome is that it will display a nonsensical picture.

You are not seeing the advantages. People are having a great deal of trouble using a PC because they do not know what they are doing. It would be a relief to be free of upgrades, replacements, anti virus and malware for the average user who knows nothing about what they are doing.

That is only be true, if the device cannot store system/user generated content (i.e. it has no access to writeable storage: RAM, HDD, SSD, "Cloud", etc.).

Malware isn't restricted to types that "permanently corrupt" locally installed operating systems.
Malware that "permanently" corrupts a local installation is more convenient for the malware author.

Malware doesn't have to "permanently compromise" a local operating system's files to be functional, for example:
  • Keyloggers
  • Network Redirection malware

It doesn't even have to be on your machine.
Malware could also be lurking at the other end (or along the route) of a network traffic connection (i.e. on the servers you are visiting or passing through).

Another insidious type of local malware, is malware that only exists in RAM (because you unluckily visited a compromised webpage, or clicked on a poisoned link, during an Internet browsing session).
An anti-malware search after the browser is closed will reveal nothing (that's why logging is an important security tool).

I didn't say that there were no advantages to ROM-based systems.
My friend and I have often postulated that certain aspects of computing would be better, if there was a different distribution of RAM-based and ROM-based functions.

That aside, I do agree that W8.1 has almost no chance of rescuing the PC market this year, since it is only going to be released in October.
It might make a difference next year (especially as XP is going to reach EoS in April). :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
... comprehension ...
:drool:

I am well aware of nand circuits, cpu and motherboard design and code flowcharts.
I grow fatigued with this thread.

cook food = process data
take care - good night all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info

I think software is pathetically poorly written and risky to use.
Microsoft Windows is a train wreck of compiled string sets that need to be constantly patched to make work.

Well what about "Dumbdroid" with 100,000's of poorly written apps done by high school kids in their spare time with absolutely no QC whatsoever -- and yet people entrust all sorts of private and personal data to these types of applications --no wonder the hackers aren't bothering with Windows so much any more -- almost anybody with the slightest smidgen of knowledge about OS'es and Mobile communications can hack into your mobile app when run over a public Wi-Fi system.

Fortunately with 4G now the early contracts give unlimited data usage so you don't have to depend on public Wi-Fi systems and mobile data protocols are much harder to hack - however only a very small number of people will have these sorts of contracts so most people will still be exposed to all the security flaws of using a poorly designed OS with even more poorly designed apps relying on public Wi-Fi systems on their phones.

Windows is actually quite good these days -- Windows phones ought to be pushing this as their selling point - infinitely better security than Dumdroid has and the apps can have beeter QC as well.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB