Windows 8.1 won't rescue PC market this year, IDC says

DG News Service - The PC market will weaken even further this year and Microsoft's upcoming Windows 8.1 OS will be unable to reverse the drop in shipments, IDC said Thursday. Due in part to increased adoption of mobile devices globally and a drop in PC sales in China, shipments will shrink 9.7% in 2013, according to IDC, which previously had predicted a fall of 7.7% drop.
With Windows 8, Microsoft has put a tablet-like touch user interface on PCs, which has baffled users buying non-touch PCs. Touch laptops remain expensive, and PC makers expect enterprises to upgrade laptops to the Windows 7 OS. The Windows 8 OS and high prices of PCs are reasons why people are looking at attractively priced tablets instead, Chou said.
Windows 8.1 won't rescue PC market this year, IDC says - Computerworld

You certainly aren't the only one who isn't keen to buy something with win8/8.1. Impossible to measure how many that is in total. I think it is quite a significant number.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Windows 8 has NOT MADE AN IOTA OF DIFFERENCE to the decline in the PC market < Really? lol.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Yes, they are alarming. Not much chance of dozing off.

LOL.. just the Redmond Acid trip LOL

Notice the psychedelic screen colour changes in 'getting devices ready'?... kinda explains the weird decisions made there (with all due respect)

billgatestrip.JPG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    PC-DOS v1.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    IBM
    CPU
    Intel 8088, 4.77MHz
    Memory
    16K, 640K max
    Graphics Card(s)
    What's that?
    Sound Card
    Not quite
    Screen Resolution
    80 X 24 text
    Hard Drives
    dual 160KB 5.25-inch disk drives
Windows 8 has NOT MADE AN IOTA OF DIFFERENCE to the decline in the PC market < Really? lol.

Yes really. If people require a new PC they will buy it, whether they choose to stick with W8 or install W7 it is still a sold PC. Mac and Linux market share is not increasing by any numbers close to the decline of PC sales so they are not going there. Tablets on the other hand are increasing in sales so obviously people are choosing to move to them rather then upgrade their PCs or buy new ones. Also, PC sales were declining before W8 was released and the downward trend is continuing as people prefer mobile devices.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP

Yes really. If people require a new PC they will buy it, whether they choose to stick with W8 or install W7 it is still a sold PC. Mac and Linux market share is not increasing by any numbers close to the decline of PC sales so they are not going there. Tablets on the other hand are increasing in sales so obviously people are choosing to move to them rather then upgrade their PCs or buy new ones. Also, PC sales were declining before W8 was released and the downward trend is continuing as people prefer mobile devices.

Or somebody that was contemplating buying a new PC would rather not buy one with Windows 8, so they go Mac or just put off the purchase. To say Windows 8 has "absolutely" nothing to do with it is at best wishful thinking, IMHO that is.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
PCs will not be going anywhere, and it is, at best, naive to think they will.

Do you go and buy a new car every 12 months, just because the maker releases a new model? No, of course you don't.

But you will buy one when you need to.

The PC market has simply evolved to the same stage. It is not 'dying' but it has matured.

Time MS, tablet fanbois and 'tech journos' realised and accepted this.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
Agree with Wenda, the PC market has matured to the next level.
The only thing that would 'save' the PC market would be a break through leap to new hardware and software.
Then it would likely be changed dramatically.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    76~2.0
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3570K 4.6GHz
    Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X UD3H f18
    Memory
    8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1600 CORSAIR Vengeance CL8 1.5v
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA VT2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LCD Dell SP2208WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samaung 840Pro 128GB, Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb, Seagate 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb,
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Cooler Master Storm Scout
    Cooling
    Corsair H80 w/Noctua NF P12 12cm fan, case fans 2X14cm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    CM Sentinel
    Internet Speed
    Abysmal
    Browser
    Opera Next
    Other Info
    Dell Venue 8Pro: Baytrail Z3740D, 2GB Ram, 64GB HDD, 8" IPS Display 1280 x 800, Active Stylus.
    Haswell laptop: HP Envy 17t-j, i7-4700MQ, GeForce 740M 2GB DDR3, 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080, 16GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, 1TB Hitachi 7200 HDD,
    Desktop: eSATA ports,
    External eSATA Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm,
The so-called 4K monitors might cause some desktop sales increases.

Despite Panasonic's 20" 4K tablet, I suspect that tablets will have trouble coping (considering that Aero was considered too much for them to cope with).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Hi Everyone,

I disagree with the headline. Mr Ballmer is a casualty of his own hubris, beginning with his belief he knew more of what the market wanted than the market supported, and ending by being unwilling to change when it was clear he was moving Microsoft in the wrong direction, resulting in massive failures. The market finally responded and mighty Zeus struck down Mr. Ballmer with lightning bolts from free-market Olympus

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel 2 Extreme 4 Core 3.2GHz X9770
    Motherboard
    ASUS Formula
    Memory
    8 GBs
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5000 Series
    Hard Drives
    500GB Sata SD Drive
    Browser
    EI 10
    Antivirus
    ESet
well, 8.1 can't have any appreciable difference this year because it comes out in mid October which is near the end of the year and is after the big buying period which is late summer.

that said, PCs are going to decline regardless. It's a changing world. PC users need to adapt. holding on to the past will make you a dinosaur. it's funny how people clamor for a newer version of Windows 7 and how that will save PCs. PC share was declining well before Windows 8 came out.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
PC's are not going anywhere, I do believe some manufactures will disappear, ones who have not been able to maintain a customer base do to poor quality. Microsoft with PC manufactures will just have to learn to share the market.

As for the tablets they will eventually take off, I remember about one to two years ago no one bought Window Phones and these days I see one somewhere everyday being used by someone. Launching a product and getting success takes times especially when there is competition in the market.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Sager NP2740
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4702HQ 2.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    W740SU
    Memory
    8 GB 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Iris Pro 5200
    Sound Card
    High Defenition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    IPS Display
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250 GB mSATA
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps cable, NETGEAR Night Hawk AC1900
    Browser
    Firefox 38.0.5
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender & Malwarebytes Pro
I'm planning at least one more desktop build. I'll be buying the motherboard this Christmas. Right now I have two desktop PC's running Windows 7, and two laptops running Windows 8. No tablets here. No smart phones either.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
then this would be a great shock to the much raised expectations from the software major towards the upcoming version of the win 8.1 this month .. now they will be hoping that the prediction may remain limited to the prediction only so not to affect the big hope of the firm

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    e4166
    CPU
    core 2 duel
    Motherboard
    i3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Dell
    Browser
    compe
    Antivirus
    kpersky
I have no idea what you just said? :confused:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Hi Everyone,

Windows Is Dead....and Google and others will make sure it is....

Windows is dead. Let’s all salute it — pour out a glass for it, burn a CD for it, reboot your PC one last time. Windows had a good run. For a time, it powered the world. But that era is over.
It was killed by the unlikeliest of collaborations — Microsoft’s ancient enemies working over decades, in concert: Steve Jobs, Linus Torvalds, and most of all, two guys named Larry and Sergey.
Late on Monday, Microsoft announced its unsurprising $7.2 billion plan to buy Nokia’s smartphone division. Nokia is the world’s largest manufacturer of phones that run Microsoft’s Windows Phone operating system (which is a bit like pointing out that, at 5-foot-6, I’m the tallest member of my immediate family). Microsoft is buying Nokia in order to control both the hardware and software in its devices; this move, Microsoft promises, will improve the phones themselves and make them easier to sell.
But this is the antithesis of the company’s Windows strategy. Though Microsoft insists otherwise, when this deal is done, the thing sold as Windows won’t be what it’s always been — it won’t be software that runs on lots of companies’ hardware, a platform to unite disparate manufacturers’ devices. Instead, Windows will be much like Apple’s operating systems, iOS and Mac OS. Windows will be proprietary software attached to proprietary hardware — Microsoft’s code running on Microsoft’s devices.
In a document that lays out the “strategic rationale” for the deal, Microsoft makes a stirring case for vertical integration: for a single company that makes both mobile software and hardware together. By purchasing Nokia, Microsoft says it will be able to create better phones by reducing “friction” between hardware and software teams that now reside in separate companies. Combining the companies also improves marketing “efficiency” and “clarity” — Microsoft can sell a single Microsoft device that bakes in the best services from both firms (Skype, Office, Nokia’s mapping systems).
Finally, vertical integration helps Microsoft’s bottom line. Today, for every Windows-powered phone that Nokia sells, Microsoft gets less than $10 in software licensing fees. When it owns Nokia, Microsoft will be able to book profits on hardware, too. Rather than make less than $10 per phone, it will make more than $40.
Steve Jobs long pushed against Bill Gates’ idea that hardware and software should be made by different firms. And back in the PC era, Gates was right. Gates recognized that most computer users didn’t understand hardware. We couldn’t tell the difference — and didn’t really care much about — the processors, drives, displays, and other physical components that made up one PC versus another. As a result, making PC hardware was destined to be a bruising commodity business, with low brand recognition, constant price battles, and dwindling profits.
But software, Gates saw, was a different story. Software had a face. Software imprinted itself on users — once you learned one Windows PC, you understood every Windows PC. Unlike hardware, software enabled network effects: The more people who used Windows, the more attractive it became to developers, which meant more apps to make Windows computers more useful, which led to more users, and on and on. Finally, software was wildly, almost unimaginably profitable. After writing code once, you could copy it endlessly, at no marginal cost, for years to come — and make money on every single copy you sold.
But mobile devices altered that calculation. Today, hardware matters. Unlike in a PC that you kept hidden under your desk, the design of your mobile device affects its usefulness. Things like your phone’s weight or the way your tablet feels in your hand are all important considerations when you’re buying a device; you won’t choose a phone based on software alone, and you might pay a premium for a device that’s particularly well-designed. In the mobile world, as Apple has proved, hardware can command just as much of a profit as software.
You might argue that once the basic design of a good phone or tablet becomes well known, lots of companies will copy it, and that hardware will again become a commodity. That’s the tide Apple is now battling against. At some point mobile components will become good enough and cheap enough that a $50 phone might function just as well as a $100 or $200 phone. When that happens, people will again start choosing devices by price, and hardware profits will dwindle to nothing. And, as happened with PCs, software, not hardware, will become the industry’s dominant business.
All that may well occur. (The fear of commoditized hardware explains Apple’s languishing share price.) But if mobile hardware does become a commodity and software once again becomes the determining factor in your choice of phone, we won’t see Microsoft profit from the shift. That’s because, in the last five years, a brutal, profit-destroying force has emerged in the tech world: Android.
Google’s mobile operating system — which is based on Linux, the open-source OS whose fans had long dreamed would destroy Windows — is free. Any mobile phone manufacturer can use and alter Android however it pleases. This accounts for Android’s stunning market share — close to 80 percent, according to IDC — and that market share gives Android the benefit of the network effects that once worked so well for Microsoft. Nokia was paying Microsoft $10 for every phone it sold, and in return it got an OS that can’t even run Instagram. Microsoft says that it wants to keep licensing Windows Phone to other manufacturers even after it purchases Nokia, but because they can always choose Android (which runs Instagram and everything else), few phone-makers are likely to take it up on that deal.
That’s why the Nokia purchase signals the end of Windows as a standalone business. There are now only two ways to sell software. Like Apple, you can make devices that integrate software and hardware together and hope to sell a single, unified, highly profitable product. Or, like Google, you can make software that you give away in the hopes of creating a huge platform from which you can make money in some other way (through ads, in Google’s case).
But you can’t do what Windows did — you can’t make profitable software on other companies’ commodity hardware. Thanks to Android, code is now a commodity, and Windows is dead.

Read more: Windows Is Dead - Business Insider

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel 2 Extreme 4 Core 3.2GHz X9770
    Motherboard
    ASUS Formula
    Memory
    8 GBs
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5000 Series
    Hard Drives
    500GB Sata SD Drive
    Browser
    EI 10
    Antivirus
    ESet
That is a good piece. It deserves it's own thread.

Better to quote just a few lines and link to the article.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
That is a good piece. It deserves it's own thread.

Better to quote just a few lines and link to the article.

I don't think he can post new treads yet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
... Windows as a standalone business ...

Who owns Windows? Who told these people they own the Windows platform? (just because they install it on their home pc) Did the end user agreement ever say that if you install Windows, you own it?

Has Microsoft ever been open source?
8.1 is not designed to rescue the PC market.

I think many believe they own the Windows desktop because there is no subscription fee.
What does the UNIX end user agreement say? (... Intellectual Property Rights? ...)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
I wholly agree with this article, in fact, I would not be surprised to see a SUDDEN increase of Windows 8 the moment 8.1 is being foisted on people.

But if I'm wrong, then 7 will become even more popular.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
I wholly agree with this article, in fact, I would not be surprised to see a SUDDEN increase of Windows 8 the moment 8.1 is being foisted on people.

But if I'm wrong, then 7 will become even more popular.

7 will remain popular, like a classic car. Unfortunately, 7 cannot evolve.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4