Windows 8.1 won't rescue PC market this year, IDC says

DG News Service - The PC market will weaken even further this year and Microsoft's upcoming Windows 8.1 OS will be unable to reverse the drop in shipments, IDC said Thursday. Due in part to increased adoption of mobile devices globally and a drop in PC sales in China, shipments will shrink 9.7% in 2013, according to IDC, which previously had predicted a fall of 7.7% drop.
With Windows 8, Microsoft has put a tablet-like touch user interface on PCs, which has baffled users buying non-touch PCs. Touch laptops remain expensive, and PC makers expect enterprises to upgrade laptops to the Windows 7 OS. The Windows 8 OS and high prices of PCs are reasons why people are looking at attractively priced tablets instead, Chou said.
Windows 8.1 won't rescue PC market this year, IDC says - Computerworld

I wholly agree with this article, in fact, I would not be surprised to see a SUDDEN increase of Windows 8 the moment 8.1 is being foisted on people.

But if I'm wrong, then 7 will become even more popular.

7 will remain popular, like a classic car. Unfortunately, 7 cannot evolve.

Fortunately for us Windows 8 will have to evolve because the majority of users do not like it in its present form.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    System Manufacturer/Model
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
Hi Everyone,

Microsoft is Defenestrated...

UNTIL August 23rd few people would have described Steve Ballmer as “retiring”. Microsoft’s chief executive has played both tiger and Tigger: snarling (toothlessly, as it turned out) at Apple’s gadgets; and bouncing, with a whoop, onto conference stages to extol his company’s wares. But retiring he is, within a year.
Mr Ballmer’s departure is a surprise. He had announced a reorganisation of the company only in July and had hoped to oversee much of the change. Some celebrated his going: Microsoft’s share price went up by 7.3% on the day the news broke. Mr Ballmer has plenty of critics, although Microsoft’s revenues have trebled on his 13-year watch, to $77.8 billion in the year to June, and profits have grown similarly, to $21.9 billion. The critics point at the rise of Apple and Google, and say Microsoft should have done better—or handed some of its $77 billion of cash to shareholders. In an interview with the Seattle Times, Mr Ballmer denied that pressure from ValueAct, a fund with a small stake in the firm, helped push him out.

If you folks think Microsoft isn't on a tail spin right into the ground, you have another thing coming...

By the end of 2014 Microsoft will see and decide if Microsoft will be making any more Operating Systems from next years results, and major Hardware Makers will not be signing on in the future, Like ASUS, and Kingston, and others, and Intel is also waiting to see where and if they stay with Microsoft as a Partner...

Read More: Microsoft and the PC industry: Defenestrated | The Economist

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel 2 Extreme 4 Core 3.2GHz X9770
    Motherboard
    ASUS Formula
    Memory
    8 GBs
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5000 Series
    Hard Drives
    500GB Sata SD Drive
    Browser
    EI 10
    Antivirus
    ESet
By the end of 2014 Microsoft will see and decide if Microsoft will be making any more Operating Systems ....

Rubbish. Microsoft Operating System products are a common staple in industry globally. Support for 7 to 2020, 8 to 2023, support for Server products could continue for another generation, plans are in the works for Windows 9 and 10. Hardware partners would be foolish to abandon Microsoft. What's out there > Chrome browsing OS, no start menu Apple, UNIX oddworks, Android touch tablets, ... I think MS should consider abandoning hardware partners and put the OS in the cloud. period.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
By the end of 2014 Microsoft will see and decide if Microsoft will be making any more Operating Systems ....

Rubbish. Microsoft Operating System products are a common staple in industry globally. Support for 7 to 2020, 8 to 2023, support for Server products could continue for another generation, plans are in the works for Windows 9 and 10. Hardware partners would be foolish to abandon Microsoft. What's out there > Chrome browsing OS, no start menu Apple, UNIX oddworks, Android touch tablets, ... I think MS should consider abandoning hardware partners and put the OS in the cloud. period.

Good luck! Microsoft cloud service another waste of time, wait till the network starts going up and down like a yo-yo and not being to log in, then what?

The Cloud is rented broadband Microsoft is only leasing off a major network service provider and these services are and never will be stable as you or anyone know about networks matter of fact the cloud service could be another major mistake at the end of the day...

Wait till the head lines read bank of Americas or the Bank of the UK just got hacked and then it will be and look very good on Microsoft and another multi billion dollar law suit gets filled toward Microsoft and their so called Cloud service

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS Formula
    Memory
    8 GBs
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    500GB Sata SD Drive
    Browser
    EI 10
    Antivirus
    ESet
Hi MDMD,

Your right your Microsoft folks should perhaps start buying out all these hardware partners? What do you say?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS Formula
    Memory
    8 GBs
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    500GB Sata SD Drive
    Browser
    EI 10
    Antivirus
    ESet
There is a misconception that the cloud is Microsoft's evil empire. Everyone is out there now. Apple has cloud service. Linux has cloud service. So does Adobe, IBM, Intel, Banks, Financial Companies, Online storage systems, email clouds, personal clouds, etc, etc... If the net goes down, everyone will be affected, whether they are using cloud services or not. If service is poor, that service will not survive. It is a new field. Everyone, it seems, is trying to get a piece of the cloud pie. The net can fail, ... I just watched Elysium. Not a pretty picture.

You're right, you're Microsoft folks should perhaps start buying out all these hardware partners

I have always thought it would be a good idea to create computing devices that have embedded operating systems, embedded high performance graphics and embedded software. No capability to upgrade or repair. Use, or replace. That would eliminate much of the issues with installations. Just use the device that one buys. period. No fiddling.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
There is a misconception that the cloud is Microsoft's evil empire. Everyone is out there now. Apple has cloud service. Linux has cloud service. So does Adobe, IBM, Intel, Banks, Financial Companies, Online storage systems, email clouds, personal clouds, etc, etc... If the net goes down, everyone will be affected, whether they are using cloud services or not. If service is poor, that service will not survive. It is a new field. Everyone, it seems, is trying to get a piece of the cloud pie. The net can fail, ... I just watched Elysium. Not a pretty picture.

You're right, you're Microsoft folks should perhaps start buying out all these hardware partners

I have always thought it would be a good idea to create computing devices that have embedded operating systems, embedded high performance graphics and embedded software. No capability to upgrade or repair. Use, or replace. That would eliminate much of the issues with installations. Just use the device that one buys. period. No fiddling.

Hi MDMD,

I like your vision and your counter comeback very good highlights... :)

Let's wait and see mate, its microsofts neck or throat now that's on the cutting board next years will be very interesting times for Microsoft and where they will be heading after they see in black and white that their Mickey Mouse Windows 8 and SP1 Windows 8.1 didn't cut it and that it didn't bring in the money money money as they Microsoft expected and around that same time frame reports will also be coming in on their quest to play in the global Smartphone game and trust me the reports won't look good for Microsoft...

Microsoft has no choice now to open all their eyes and start looking in where they want to be in the near future or perhaps start into looking into selling Microsoft and their windows full code to someone like Apple or Google who could carry the flame for the next 25 years or so

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS Formula
    Memory
    8 GBs
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    500GB Sata SD Drive
    Browser
    EI 10
    Antivirus
    ESet

Actually, that would be a VERY, VERY BAD idea.

And one that I would vehemently oppose.

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
Hi Everyone,

Lenovo CEO: Windows RT is dead. Drops RT support and discontinues Yoga RT

Lenovo has apparently discontinued the RT flavor of the Yoga, stopping sales of it on the company website."there's no longer a need for Windows RT"

Read More: Lenovo exec: there's no longer a need for Windows RT

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS Formula
    Memory
    8 GBs
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    500GB Sata SD Drive
    Browser
    EI 10
    Antivirus
    ESet

Wenda.

Wenda, I am with you and 100% Agree... with your statement

If Microsoft is thinking of making that kind of move in the future, You can kiss Microsoft for sure into the ground and Goodbye forever...

Their 80 Billion Dollars wont save them in the current pace they are going... In less then 5 years that 80 Billion could be gone if they don't wake up and smarten up in what direction they really want to go,,, Is it Desktops and Laptop Personal Computing? or Smartphone and Tablets??? please Microsoft let is know so we can prepare in what will be in store for the General and Enterprise Operator/User...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS Formula
    Memory
    8 GBs
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    500GB Sata SD Drive
    Browser
    EI 10
    Antivirus
    ESet
Wenda.

Would you be / Are you vehemently opposed to a microwave oven?
I am hypothetically proposing a computing appliance.
Are appliances very, very bad ideas?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
...Is it Desktops and Laptop Personal Computing? or Smartphone and Tablets??? please Microsoft let is know so we can prepare in what will be in store for the General and Enterprise Operator/User...

It is all of the above. All of those devices will have a Microsoft OS on them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info

How often do you update the software or install new functions in your microwave oven?

BBCs used to have a lot of their functions on ROM chips.
Live Linux CDs/DVDs are ROM operating systems.
ROM operating systems have the advantage that malware can't permanently "take them down".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
How often do you update the software or install new functions in your microwave oven?

It was hypothetical - theoretical. Today's Operating Systems are seriously flawed. The need for constant updates and patches are a major headache. It's almost like a car that endlessly needs to keep going back for recall issues. The technology is simply not there yet. On the other hand, phones don't need to be constantly updated to function properly. Then again, the endless upgrades of devices from version 1 to 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc...,,, is also a major factor. One does not need to upgrade / replace a microwave oven unless it is broken. It is obvious that all computer Operating Systems are flawed.

My theoretical device would be set in stone, not needing updates. This type of computing technology does not exist. I said "I always thought it would be a good idea" ... just dreaming.

ROM operating systems have the advantage that malware can't permanently "take them down".

These are good things, right? ROM OS's are a step in the right direction for an appliance device.
The fact that Windows needs regular security and other updates makes it clear that the OS is like a colander.

Embedded systems working in industry serve a particular function do the same thing millions of times without updates.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info

These are good things, right? ROM OS's are a step in the right direction for an appliance device.
The fact that Windows needs regular security and other updates makes it clear that the OS is like a colander.

Embedded systems working in industry serve a particular function do the same thing millions of times without updates.

It depends on the usage model.
ROM operating systems have their place.

Usually devices with a specific function, or limited set of functions, like a microwave oven or remote control.
They can really shine in those roles.

They aren't as useful in a general purpose, multifunction PC.

IMO, the reason software is so flawed, is that the creators aren't held to the same level of accountability that manufacturers of physical devices are.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
You know I was just thinking I should update the firmware on my toaster. It just doesn't toast bagels the way I like them.

Just kidding, :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
It was hypothetical - theoretical. Today's Operating Systems are seriously flawed. The need for constant updates and patches are a major headache. It's almost like a car that endlessly needs to keep going back for recall issues. The technology is simply not there yet. On the other hand, phones don't need to be constantly updated to function properly. Then again, the endless upgrades of devices from version 1 to 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc...,,, is also a major factor. One does not need to upgrade / replace a microwave oven unless it is broken. It is obvious that all computer Operating Systems are flawed.

My theoretical device would be set in stone, not needing updates. This type of computing technology does not exist. I said "I always thought it would be a good idea" ... just dreaming.

I think you analogy is flawed. If you compare a PC to a microwave your PC would look like this:
- you buy a PC to have one single function (i.e. Word)
- that function would be from the year of purchase (i.e. word 2003) and never be updated (like your microwave has the same function today it had 10 years ago when you bought it)
- you buy the hardware from the same manufacturer as the software, don't have hardware choice
- you don't have internet access
- you can't replace hardware (i.e. you want a new graphics card, more memory, an SSD that didn't exist at time of purchase)
- if the manufacturer discovers a flaw in their programming, they force you to buy a new PC instead of sending an update
(i just realized I'm describing a Mac....)

If you are OK with these limitations, you are right, a ROM OS would be better and never needed updating.

But people want their microwave be the newest every day (like adding sideway-spinning plate), have it wash the dishes, bake and keep food cool. they also want it to download recipes, and tell you in your workplace how the food is at home. and people want a choice of (cheaper) microwave models because offering more hardware manufacturers reduces prices. People also want to upgrade hardware.

so unless you really want the PC as limited as your microwave, you will need updates.

And the argument that cars don't need the updates is even more laughable. Google for the news of recalls and you see that car drivers are beta-testers. and many of the car updates literally are software updates as well. Some of those are not even recalls, they just apply them when you bring them in for service

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro 64
    CPU
    Core i3 3.3 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB 1600 MHz
    Hard Drives
    SSD Samsung 830 128 GB
I think your analogy is flawed.

These are the dark ages of technology. Infantile technology. The IQ level is in the dullard range. No one made any statements about a single function device except the responders. BTW, Microwave ovens can cook thousands of products. It is not a single function device. You could say a PC is a single function device.
All it does is process data.

You are not seeing the advantages. People are having a great deal of trouble using a PC because they do not know what they are doing. It would be a relief to be free of upgrades, replacements, anti virus and malware for the average user who knows nothing about what they are doing.

And the argument that cars don't need the updates is even more laughable

Cars are junk. They wear out and die. There is nothing special about the maintenance schedules of automobiles.

PC's could be marketed like usable devices, ready to go, rather than pathetic tools for geeks to customize.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
I think your analogy is flawed.

These are the dark ages of technology. Infantile technology. The IQ level is in the dullard range. No one made any statements about a single function device except the responders. BTW, Microwave ovens can cook thousands of products. It is not a single function device. You could say a PC is a single function device.
All it does is process data.

You are not seeing the advantages. People are having a great deal of trouble using a PC because they do not know what they are doing. It would be a relief to be free of upgrades, replacements, anti virus and malware for the average user who knows nothing about what they are doing.

And the argument that cars don't need the updates is even more laughable

Cars are junk. They wear out and die. There is nothing special about the maintenance schedules of automobiles.

PC's could be marketed like usable devices, ready to go, rather than pathetic tools for geeks to customize.

PCs are usable devices. At least to the majority of users. Of course, there are always a few who are not up to the task and don't know how to turn on the PC and ask support which key is the "any key" they are asked to push. But I see people on the street every day who should not have a drivers license either.

There is a simple way for everyday PCs to not have to deal with updates, malware etc.: unplug from the internet, like your microwave. But then you can't spread your wisdom on this forum...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Pro 64
    CPU
    Core i3 3.3 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB 1600 MHz
    Hard Drives
    SSD Samsung 830 128 GB
There is a simple way for everyday PCs to not have to deal with updates, malware etc.: unplug from the internet, like your microwave....

I expect this was humor... unplugging would make it unusable.
(Since most generic users nowadays are mostly into social media)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4