Will 90 percent of users always hate Windows 8?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
But that's not what I said.
I didn't say that because what you said. If you notice, I'm making random statements about falsehoods.

Why make random statements that in no way enhance a discussion? That's akin to just talking to yourself.

If you read them, there is a common thread there. But there are like two of these posts around here so it's scattered about...

"No, because 90 percent of users don't hate Office 2007, 2010, or 2013.

Some people are too superficial in determining their analysis of Windows 8."

"I really hate the Ribbon UI of 2013. -Said no one ever."

"I've always wanted drop down menus in Office and Windows. -Said literally, no one ever."

"I really want to learn a new operating system. -Said no one ever."

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
[If you read them, there is a common thread there.

Meaningful discussion requires statements to have context and continuity. Random posts with no context or continuity, which leaves the reader guessing the meaning, intent and target audience, does not add to or enhance meaningful discussion.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

Meaningful discussion requires statements to have context and continuity. Random posts with no context or continuity, which leaves the reader guessing the meaning, intent and target audience, does not add to or enhance meaningful discussion.

Geez, I can't like Windows 8, I can't suggest people to give Windows 8 a chance, I can't even express my opinions and the way I want to express; it's like every menial, trivial detail has to be extrapolated and BLOWN out of proportion in order to make a trivial point.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

Geez, I can't like Windows 8, I can't suggest people to give Windows 8 a chance, I can't even express my opinions and the way I want to express; it's like every menial, trivial detail has to be extrapolated and BLOWN out of proportion in order to make a trivial point.

It seems like you take comprehension lessons from Bill, or is it the other way around? In regard to this discussion, you were making random statements (which you admitted) that held no obvious context or continuity as far as the reader and the thread was concerned. You didn't make any personal statements or state any opinions, so how can what I said be read to suggest that I'm trying to suppress your ability to express opinions?

I think I understand why it's so difficult for some to comprehend why there are others who are dissatisfied with some aspects of Windows 8; if one cannot express themselves clearly, then they obviously cannot comprehend what others are expressing. It becomes a melange of words and ideas that contain no clarity or logic whatsoever.

It's a bit like Windows 8 trying to be a phone OS and a Desktop OS at the same time, but getting neither right.

My Computer

System One

• OS

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys

Does that include acronyms like MPI which only exists in one man's world?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w

Does that include acronyms like MPI which only exists in one man's world?

I've explained what MPI (Mobile Phone Interface) means many times and others are using it as well. It seems an appropriate (app?) way to describe the new menu, as Microsoft has indicated that everything will emulate this (mobile phone) standard user interface in future.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Ray— why do you insist on changing Microsoft terminology? Other than yourself, some members in this group and some of your friends; nobody knows what MPI stands for. This is the only information I can find online about MPI.
It may be an appropriate way to describe the main menu but it gets confusing when one has a problem and their source of help is using a term that can't be looked up for a description.
Meaningful discussions and help sessions requires words and terms that everyone knows the meaning of. Anything else
"leaves the reader guessing the meaning, intent and target audience, does not add to or enhance meaningful discussion."

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
Ray— why do you insist on changing Microsoft terminology? Other than yourself, some members in this group and some of your friends; nobody knows what MPI stands for. This is the only information I can find online about MPI.
It may be an appropriate way to describe the main menu but it gets confusing when one has a problem and their source of help is using a term that can't be looked up for a description.
Meaningful discussions and help sessions requires words and terms that everyone knows the meaning of. Anything else
"leaves the reader guessing the meaning, intent and target audience, does not add to or enhance meaningful discussion."

What is Microsoft's official name for the interface, the one with lots of squares that most people dislike?

No one seems to know, for example: Five reasons why Windows 8 has failed | ZDNet

I said it before, I'll say it again: Metro, or whatever you want to call it,...

A lot of people are confused, so yes, I created the acronym MPI (Mobile Phone Interface) purely for this forum, as it's the only Windows forum that I'm on and I was heartily sick of using naming conventions that were no more valid than the MPI. As I said, the term MPI is very apt, as it is exactly what you see on a Windows 8 mobile phone, Windows 8 tablet and Windows 8 PC.

I Googled 'eightforums mpi' and the first three listings gave you the details. Your posting here simply enhances the understanding of the term MPI, so thank you. I could have been derogatory of the interface and called in the CRAPP interface (CRAPP meaning crap app interface), but that would have been grossly unfair and not reflective of how I feel about the interface. I don't believe it's crap, but simply inappropriate for a desktop PC (or maybe it is crap, for desktop PCs - now you've got me thinking).

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
no, not out of the box.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ult on DIY; Win8 Pro on MBP/Parallels; Win7 Ult on MBP/Boot Camp; Win7 Ult/Win8 Pro on HP
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    DIY Rig; MacBook Pro (MBP)/Parallels/Boot Camp; HP Pavilion dv6500t Laptop
    CPU
    Intel i7-2600K (sometimes OC'd to 4.8 GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev B3
    Memory
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 570 SC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway
    Hard Drives
    Dual Boot:
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on OCZ Revo x2 and
    Win7 Ult RAID 0 on Caviar Black SATA 3's
    PSU
    Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
    Case
    Cooler Master 932 HAF
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Mouse
    Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    20 Mbps Download/2+ Mbps Upload
    Other Info
    Pioneer Blu-ray Burner/DVD Burner
is there anyway to bypass the password and just go to the desktop?

If you install a third party app like Classic Shell or Start8, you can get back the traditional Windows 7 style desktop look and avoid the MPI entirely. You can disable password login also, so that the PC simply starts and opens in the desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS

You can automate the login with netplwiz. Type that into the start screen and when you get the little window, uncheck the little box that says that a password is required for login. Then you give the password (twice) and in the future it will log you in automatically - but not to the desktop, to start.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
MPI seems good enough to me.

There are other much less flattering ones out there. Ray is being polite.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

You could try this How to Boot to the Desktop & Skip Metro in Windows 8

or move the 'desktop tile' to be first in top left corner and as you log in, hold the Enter key down to bypass start screen (per an Eight Forums tutorial)
which I did for awhile. Now I would only do that if I were going to the desktop IE 10.

It just makes sense for me to save time logging into the start menu, clicking a program tile that opens on the desktop when I'm ready to go desktop.

Sometimes I prefer to use a Metro App like metro IE 10 for additional security, metro mail or .... before going to desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)