Why Microsoft killed the Windows Start button

By Barry Collins in Amsterdam
Posted on 28 Jun 2012 at 09:00

Microsoft claims it took the controversial decision to remove the Start button from the traditional Windows desktop because people had stopped using it.
The lack of a Start button on the Windows 8 desktop has been one of the most divisive elements of the new user interface. It had been widely assumed that Microsoft removed the Start button to force people to familiarise themselves with the new Metro Start screen, which is the centrepiece of the Windows 8 overhaul. However, speaking to PC Pro at TechEd in Amsterdam, a senior Microsoft executive told us that the old Start menu had already fallen out of favour with users of Windows 7

"We’d seen the trend in Windows 7," said Chaitanya Sareen, principal program manager at Microsoft, referring to the telemetry gathered by the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program. "When we evolved the taskbar we saw awesome adoption of pinning [applications] on the taskbar. We are seeing people pin like crazy. And so we saw the Start menu usage dramatically dropping, and that gave us an option. We’re saying 'look, Start menu usage is dropping, what can we do about it? What can we do with the Start menu to revive it, to give it some new identity, give it some new power?'"
"So I’m a desktop user, I pin the browser, Explorer, whatever my apps are. I don’t go the Start menu as often. If you’re going to the Start screen now, we’re going to unlock a whole new set of scenarios, or you can choose not to go there, stay in the desktop, and it’s still fast. You can’t beat the taskbar."
Sareen also claims that people are taking advantage of keyboard shortcuts to open applications, instead of resorting to the Start menu. "Press the Windows key and 1 and you’re already in IE [if IE is the first item pinned to your taskbar]. It’s so fast."

Metro for desktops
Sareen was also quick to dismiss criticism that the Metro interface is better suited to touchscreen devices than laptops and desktops.
Demonstrations during the day had seen two Microsoft presenters struggle to make gesture controls work on laptop trackpads, with the Start screen intermittently failing to scroll when the presenters swiped two fingers across the trackpad, for instance. Sareen insisted that the touchpad drivers were still "very, very early" and were "still being refined".
He also claimed that the Metro interface "really works well with the mouse and keyboard", highlighting features such as the option to search for applications simply by starting to type its name on the Metro Start screen.

Read more at:
Why Microsoft killed the Windows Start button | News | PC Pro

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it will stay named as windows 7 recovery or similar. That is just for those who have already made images with it.

I sure hope the ability to do image backups remains intact.

That'd be a bit of a game-breaker if not.

(And I have neither the need, the desire, or the room for multiple monitors).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Uninstall the Microsoft Keyboard software in Control Panel. I lost the use of the Mute button and several others when I installed the keyboard update.

When I first started using 8, it was really annoying not to have the Start button, but as I become more familiar with 8's interface I don't miss it so much. It's not so bad once you know where to look for things. One question though, I've lost the function of the upper row of my keyboard, the row with numbers and symbols. Does anyone else have the problem? Updated the keyboard driver, but that didn't solve the problem. Also, just a suggestion to Microsoft...how about giving those of us who chose to be the guinea pigs a free upgrade for the trouble?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Homebuilt special
    CPU
    i3
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTS250
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq 24"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    big ones
    PSU
    lots of power
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Intel
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    smokin
    Browser
    IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Microsoft
I just liked it (the start button) because it was easy to re-start, shutdown etc when installing and un-installing programs and such.. nice simple and quick and yes I believe they are trying to sell me apps.. the whole OS has become ad-ware at best a kind of nag-ware at worst !!, I will excuse the second as you can remove all the apps from the start screen !! but of course most wont !

I have windows 8 upgrade, but have decided to ride the Windows 7 wave for a few years longer !

Andy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    HP Pavilion P7 1040UK
    CPU
    Intel i5 2310
    Motherboard
    Intel H67
    Memory
    4 GB PC3 10600 ( 1 x4GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 530 (2GB)
the whole OS has become ad-ware at best a kind of nag-ware at worst

This statement is absolutely false. I've been running Windows 8 for a year and have not see one ad in the OS and that's because they don't exist. I've never been asked or forced into the Store and the ads in pretty much all the Apps I've tried that are FREE have very minimal if no ads at all. I haven't purchased any apps yet but I have on my Windows Phone and purchased apps have no ads at all, I'm sure it will be the same in Windows 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
"We’d seen the trend in Windows 7," said Chaitanya Sareen, principal program manager at Microsoft, referring to the telemetry gathered by the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program. "When we evolved the taskbar we saw awesome adoption of pinning [applications] on the taskbar. We are seeing people pin like crazy. And so we saw the Start menu usage dramatically dropping, and that gave us an option. We’re saying 'look, Start menu usage is dropping, what can we do about it? What can we do with the Start menu to revive it, to give it some new identity, give it some new power?'"
"So I’m a desktop user, I pin the browser, Explorer, whatever my apps are. I don’t go the Start menu as often. If you’re going to the Start screen now, we’re going to unlock a whole new set of scenarios, or you can choose not to go there, stay in the desktop, and it’s still fast. You can’t beat the taskbar."
Sareen also claims that people are taking advantage of keyboard shortcuts to open applications, instead of resorting to the Start menu. "Press the Windows key and 1 and you’re already in IE [if IE is the first item pinned to your taskbar]. It’s so fast."

Now, i use my PC every day for hours and hours, and i have absolutely NO idea what the hell any of that means...

Maybe it's because i use XP and am still waiting for something better to come along...no...nothing yet...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    XP
Hi there
what we really need is some mechanism for customising tiles for "Classical desktop applications". Currently you get a pathetic little tile with tiny (unchangeable) text fonts etc and fixed icons for every piece of the install stuff --- try installing Visual studio for example !!.

The idea is OK but the whole method of scrolling indefinitely is fine for touch screens and mobile phones - but you really need some sort of better selection method for "Classical desktop" users.

I'm sure the next iteration of Windows might make some concessions to desktop users with more tile customisability -- for example expandable tiles with a VERTICAL drop down while maintaining the base system which is fine for tablets and mobile phone users.

W8 also needs to be made a bit more friendly to Multiple monitor users and also the ability to "Re-size" a metro app should be considered -- I know a mobile phone doesn't have a 44 inch LCD but desktops / laptops are routinely connected to LCD TV's which DO have these sort of screensizes and some metro apps look ridiculous on that size screen. -- Two or three live applications on this size screen would certainly get more people interested I'm sure.

With the new MS tablet also having an HDMI output (at least it's alleged to have one) then the same issues apply even to TABLET users.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Microsoft claims it took the controversial decision to remove the Start button from the traditional Windows desktop because people had stopped using it.

WTF! :roflmao:

Love the icon!

The only annoying part is that they decided to remove it after I got used to it. You always have to adapt and overcome.

Now I'll get used to the Start Screen (not bad so far). So some time later they can remove it again and will have to adapt to something that will take its place. You can expect... anything.

:orb:

I'm already prepared!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
This is a load of marketing bullshit. The only reason the start menu, windows Aero etc has gone is because if you are going to create an operating system for a phone, a tablet and the pc the capability of the phone drives the application. You have to use the lowest common denominator. Its an indisputable fact. By microsoft own statement even if "most" marketing speak for 10 blokes we asked in the office, then some were still using it. So why not be charitable provide the functionality and give the opportunity to switch it off if you don't want it???? As an early post states, why if it was so out of fashion are so many third party start menu products.

It is not about is Metro better than desktop, it is a matter of having the freedom of choice. The current Chairman is desperate to make a name for himself to counter the absolute classic youtube clip of him dancing round the stage screaming like a demented five year old. Seriously if you were a shareholder would you let a guy like that run a multi million dollar company after that???

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 prof 64 bit
You wouldn't know what any of that means since you are still on XP. What Sareen conveniently left out was the fact that current numbers still put 100 million users on XP in the U.S. alone. You know most of them are still using the start button quite regularly, and are going to be the most vocal about losing it. I can about guarantee you that 99% of all Windows users still shutdown/restart Windows using the start button even if they don't use it for anything else.

Now, i use my PC every day for hours and hours, and i have absolutely NO idea what the hell any of that means...

Maybe it's because i use XP and am still waiting for something better to come along...no...nothing yet...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homebuilt special
    CPU
    i3
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTS250
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq 24"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    big ones
    PSU
    lots of power
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Intel
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    smokin
    Browser
    IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Microsoft
Of all the Windows 8 annoyances ( and I have quite a few ) , the Start button is the less of them, there is not need for replacement. If I look at what I use on my PC with Windows 8

Chrome
Word
Excel
Photoshop, to crop pics that I post here and other place
Vmware Workstation
Remote Desktop Manager

those are all thing running on desktop and I have a taskbar icon for them , the rest is not that a big deal to hit the windows key and search them on the Start Page

For shut down, well my PC run 24/7, but in case "ctr alt del " and the power is located in the bottom right.

bar.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
The Start menu is back but by other providers. Start8 Stardock has siezed an opportunity to sell a solution. There are other free solutions that people will find like Classic Shell. MS will believe they are right because these solutions will quiet the noise.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Home Built
    CPU
    AMD X4 9850
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4A785 M
    Memory
    4GB