Why Microsoft killed the Windows Start button

By Barry Collins in Amsterdam
Posted on 28 Jun 2012 at 09:00

Microsoft claims it took the controversial decision to remove the Start button from the traditional Windows desktop because people had stopped using it.
The lack of a Start button on the Windows 8 desktop has been one of the most divisive elements of the new user interface. It had been widely assumed that Microsoft removed the Start button to force people to familiarise themselves with the new Metro Start screen, which is the centrepiece of the Windows 8 overhaul. However, speaking to PC Pro at TechEd in Amsterdam, a senior Microsoft executive told us that the old Start menu had already fallen out of favour with users of Windows 7

"We’d seen the trend in Windows 7," said Chaitanya Sareen, principal program manager at Microsoft, referring to the telemetry gathered by the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program. "When we evolved the taskbar we saw awesome adoption of pinning [applications] on the taskbar. We are seeing people pin like crazy. And so we saw the Start menu usage dramatically dropping, and that gave us an option. We’re saying 'look, Start menu usage is dropping, what can we do about it? What can we do with the Start menu to revive it, to give it some new identity, give it some new power?'"
"So I’m a desktop user, I pin the browser, Explorer, whatever my apps are. I don’t go the Start menu as often. If you’re going to the Start screen now, we’re going to unlock a whole new set of scenarios, or you can choose not to go there, stay in the desktop, and it’s still fast. You can’t beat the taskbar."
Sareen also claims that people are taking advantage of keyboard shortcuts to open applications, instead of resorting to the Start menu. "Press the Windows key and 1 and you’re already in IE [if IE is the first item pinned to your taskbar]. It’s so fast."

Metro for desktops
Sareen was also quick to dismiss criticism that the Metro interface is better suited to touchscreen devices than laptops and desktops.
Demonstrations during the day had seen two Microsoft presenters struggle to make gesture controls work on laptop trackpads, with the Start screen intermittently failing to scroll when the presenters swiped two fingers across the trackpad, for instance. Sareen insisted that the touchpad drivers were still "very, very early" and were "still being refined".
He also claimed that the Metro interface "really works well with the mouse and keyboard", highlighting features such as the option to search for applications simply by starting to type its name on the Metro Start screen.

Read more at:
Why Microsoft killed the Windows Start button | News | PC Pro

Last edited by a moderator:
Read that the other day.

Thought it was crap.

Still do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire Ethos AS8951G 'Super-Laptop'.
    CPU
    Intel Sandy-Bridge i7-2670QM quad-core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 3000HD / Ge-Force GT555M 2 gigs
    Sound Card
    Realtek/5.1 Dolby built-in including speakers.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    18.4" full-HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1024
    Hard Drives
    2x750GB Toshiba internal, 1x500GB Seagate external, 1x2TB Seagate external, 1x640GB Toshiba pocket-drive, 1x640GB Samsung pocket drive.
    PSU
    Stock
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    Air-cooled
    Mouse
    I/R cordless.
    Internet Speed
    Borderline pathetic.
I don't agree with her at all.

The article makes no sense.

The argument she proposes is using windows key instead of the orb.

That is fine as far as it goes.

The trouble is the windows key does not open the much loved and extremely useful start menu - it opens the much reviled and worse than useless start screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Thanks for the lead on the article, Coke.

I'm a fanboy, so I enjoy the start screen much more than the start menu. I believe she is correct in stating:
Take one of the most common complaints about Windows 8, the removal of the Start button from the desktop taskbar. Microsoft says that's because it's rarely used, and most users pin the apps they always use to the taskbar or launch them from desktop icons.
But there's another reason why the glowing start orb is gone: it's just not necessary any more, thanks to modern PC hardware.
In previous OSs I pinned apps to the taskbar or launched them from desktop icons as it lQQks so many others did as well. There were so many at times, it was difficult to see the background pic or screen! The start screen, which is now easily accessible or swapped via the Win key, tidies up my desktop.

Also, the start menu didn't give me the glance-at information that live tiles give me. I used gadgets for that which crowded my desktop all the more. I am aware that live tiles have some way to go so far as comparison with gadgets. For instance a live tile clock, a better calendar live tile, etc. I'm sure it will get better with time as did gadgets.

Also, they have come a long way with hardware including peripherals.

Before you dark agers pounce on me, I have always been and will always be in favor of a choice of UI at either install or boot so as to desktop only with your start menu.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
"Dark agers"?

Nice...

Try "producers" or maybe "Professionals".

You know WE are the once creating the very things you use and the very websites you go to, the music you listen to, the artwork you see, the newspapers and magazines you read and about 80% of everything else you see in the universe these days and we CAN'T DO IT USING METRO!

Do you have any idea how many windows and programs you need open and running just to work on a typical website?

Apparently not. Not you and not CR or anyone else that would use that kind of language.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
My take on this is that first Microsoft broke the classic start menu in Window 7. Basically the "menu" functionality is severely reduced (here's my rant on the subject: Classic Shell: Why Classic Start Menu?) and "search" functionality was added. So it turned from an actual usable menu into a search tool.

As a result many people stopped using it for organizing programs and started pinning stuff to the taskbar. In fact when there is a discussion about classic menu vs Win7 menu, one of the most common arguments is "who cares that the Win7 menu is not as good as classic, I don't use it anyway"

So of course now they say "well, people don't use the start menu (never mind it's because we broke it), so let's just get rid of it".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Yes That is part of the reason. A lot of people wanted the cascading programs.

Obviously most people now pin their very frequently used programs.

Therefore they go to the start menu somewhat less.

It doesn't mean they don't want a start menu.

Perfectly obvious MS removed it to force the screen on users.

They pounced on the fact it is used a little less as an excuse.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
My sincere apology to you, FSeal and other professionals. That term was definitely not the one to use. Please forgive me. Thank you for the reprimand.

As soon as I get to my PC I will edit it out. I cannot at present perform that on my DROID2.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Don't worry about it - it was a bit tongue in cheek.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Ugh, now I feel bad too.. I also apologise Hippsie.

I'm taking Windows 8 way too personally. I've been a MS booster for decades now and though they have punched a lot of people in the face with their draconian decisions in the past I've somehow managed to avoid their flying fists until now :)

I've seen a lot of huge companies die off in a fireball or fade away with a whimper from really bad descisions and Ballmer is scaring me with his "Out Apple Apple" talk (If I wanted Apple I'd be using Apple, I don't, I use Windows).

I fear soon we'll have two Apples, 32 Linux and no Windows...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
My take on this is that first Microsoft broke the classic start menu in Window 7. Basically the "menu" functionality is severely reduced (here's my rant on the subject: Classic Shell: Why Classic Start Menu?) and "search" functionality was added. So it turned from an actual usable menu into a search tool.

As I've written many times since I first joined this forum, I never considered the Start Menu usable as a program organizer or launcher from the moment I saw in the NT4 beta (I never used the DOS-based Windows) because it's laborious to navigate, and it goes away when you select something from it, forcing you to do the navigation all over again the next time. I always used third party organizers like jetToolbar until Windows 7 came along with its super taskbar, which was Microsoft's first real improvement to the Windows interface in over a decade. They didn't break the Start Menu in terms of usability because it was broken all along. That said, it is occasionally useful for certain things, it's convenient, and it's always there in the taskbar, at least it always has been.

As a result many people stopped using it for organizing programs and started pinning stuff to the taskbar. In fact when there is a discussion about classic menu vs Win7 menu, one of the most common arguments is "who cares that the Win7 menu is not as good as classic, I don't use it anyway"

That has been an exceedingly rare argument in this forum. Probably half my messages here have been to express puzzlement at all the people strongly lamenting the demise of the Start Menu. I've run into people who actually say they hate pinning programs and continue to use the Start Menu and Quick Launch.

So of course now they say "well, people don't use the start menu (never mind it's because we broke it), so let's just get rid of it".

They may say that, but they also say 6% of Windows users are Media Center users, which is a real howler. Getting rid of the Start Menu is all about achieving a foolish consistency with mobile devices and getting people into the world of apps and more to the point, the app store, where they can give Microsoft money on an ongoing basis.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
SIW2 Don't worry about it - it was a bit tongue in cheek.

It really was meant to just that. I did follow up in that statement that there needs to be choice of UI for I am not a pro or power user. I've stated that on many a post.

FSeal Ugh, now I feel bad too.. I also apologise Hippsie.

I'm taking Windows 8 way too personally. I've been a MS booster for decades now and though they have punched a lot of people in the face with their draconian decisions in the past I've somehow managed to avoid their flying fists until now :)

Apology accepted, but no need to apologize. I'm surely understanding of what's going on here. I don't sit behind a PC all day. I'm a builder with forte in carpentry. The change of UI fulfilled my anticipation of "the next OS" like Ralphie opening his Christmas present seeing his first BB gun! I nearly pissed myself! I'm pretty sure you Pros felt the same way, but only to be let down by the limits of the UI. It surely must be frustrating. Believe me, my heart goes out to you people!

So now you feel you've been let down and rightfully so. I believe if M$ doesn't give choice of UI upon final release it will be a huge mistake. They may crumble like a rock in a landslide.

I've seen a lot of huge companies die off in a fireball or fade away with a whimper from really bad descisions and Ballmer is scaring me with his "Out Apple Apple" talk (If I wanted Apple I'd be using Apple, I don't, I use Windows).

I fear soon we'll have two Apples, 32 Linux and no Windows...

Well stated! Too much ego....not enough business sense....

P.S. I will edit dark agers statement out if you so wish. :eek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
It's a perspective and it kind of does make some sense. I mean, our keyboards are almost like genuine extensions of the PC versus just a simple input. Power buttons, media controls, shortcut keys, and Start key which is what makes a keyboard for a PC.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
The only thing I have to say about this whole "Silly Argument" is where did I put that darn can of cheese wheeze. . .:party:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
This change of interface even shows up somehow in my dreams like a nightmare last time. Classic Shell might have even shoved it self a bit on the scene like a hero, I dunno, can't remeber much detail. Seriously LOL.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9
    Custom Built
Nightmare is the word. How they expect people to remember a zillion KB shortcuts is beyond me. To say that the Start button was never used is such a stupid excuse and is totally out of line with reality.
I shall continue to use my artificially created Start button until further notice, thanks to ViStart even though it has its shortcomings.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Ult SP1 + Win 10 Pro - (x64)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Intel® Core i7-975 Extreme 3.86 GHz 8MB Cache
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Socket 1366 Core i7, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Mem
    Memory
    24GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 6 x 4096MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295/Hauppauge HVR2250 TV Tuner
    Sound Card
    Onboard Soundmax® High definition Sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU
    Case
    Alienware® P2 ALX Chassis with AlienIce 3.0 Video Cooling
    Cooling
    Alienware® High-Perf. Liquid Cooling + Acoustic Dampening
    Keyboard
    Microsoft® Wireless Entertainment 8000 + Logitech® G15 Wired
    Mouse
    Microsoft® Wireless Laser 8000 + Logitech® G9 Wired
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
    Using non-RAID on purpose as I find it too fussy and temperamental.
When I first started using 8, it was really annoying not to have the Start button, but as I become more familiar with 8's interface I don't miss it so much. It's not so bad once you know where to look for things. One question though, I've lost the function of the upper row of my keyboard, the row with numbers and symbols. Does anyone else have the problem? Updated the keyboard driver, but that didn't solve the problem. Also, just a suggestion to Microsoft...how about giving those of us who chose to be the guinea pigs a free upgrade for the trouble?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Microsoft says they also discovered that people aren't using MS Backup. So you'd think they got rid of it right? Wrong! They made it better of course (or tried to...).

Same (supposed) problem, different responses.

What if they discovered that many people aren't brushing their teeth at night? Take away their tooth brushes?

If my kids don't study, I am going to take away their books next year!

Not everybody bothers to use strong passwords, so let's make all passwords weak.

And for me this the best: probably less than 1% of users use multiple monitors, yet the video card vendors are outdoing themselves with how many monitors you can (but won't) attach. And now MS has jumped on the bandwangon and made multi-monitor support even better on Windows, so people continue not to use it really well!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Built it myself
    CPU
    i7 2600K
    Motherboard
    Asrock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX nVidia GT 420
    Hard Drives
    Crucial SSD
    3TB HDD
    2TB HDD
    PSU
    Seasonic 750W
I don't even use the start button anymore. I use launchy to find anything, and it works way faster then the search function on windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    HP
I sure hope the ability to do image backups remains intact.

That'd be a bit of a game-breaker if not.

(And I have neither the need, the desire, or the room for multiple monitors).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)
    Acer Aspire Ethos AS8951G 'Super-Laptop'.
    CPU
    Intel Sandy-Bridge i7-2670QM quad-core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 3000HD / Ge-Force GT555M 2 gigs
    Sound Card
    Realtek/5.1 Dolby built-in including speakers.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    18.4" full-HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1024
    Hard Drives
    2x750GB Toshiba internal, 1x500GB Seagate external, 1x2TB Seagate external, 1x640GB Toshiba pocket-drive, 1x640GB Samsung pocket drive.
    PSU
    Stock
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    Air-cooled
    Mouse
    I/R cordless.
    Internet Speed
    Borderline pathetic.
Microsoft claims it took the controversial decision to remove the Start button from the traditional Windows desktop because people had stopped using it.

WTF! :roflmao:
IKR?! I ALWAYS used the start button before Win8. I don't know wtf they are smoking. You had no choice BUT to use the start button unless you Pinned everything you needed to the taskbar...lol which I never do. I guess maybe I should start doing that? LOL

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8: RP
    Memory
    6gb
Back