Why Microsoft killed the Windows Start button

By Barry Collins in Amsterdam
Posted on 28 Jun 2012 at 09:00

Microsoft claims it took the controversial decision to remove the Start button from the traditional Windows desktop because people had stopped using it.
The lack of a Start button on the Windows 8 desktop has been one of the most divisive elements of the new user interface. It had been widely assumed that Microsoft removed the Start button to force people to familiarise themselves with the new Metro Start screen, which is the centrepiece of the Windows 8 overhaul. However, speaking to PC Pro at TechEd in Amsterdam, a senior Microsoft executive told us that the old Start menu had already fallen out of favour with users of Windows 7

"We’d seen the trend in Windows 7," said Chaitanya Sareen, principal program manager at Microsoft, referring to the telemetry gathered by the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program. "When we evolved the taskbar we saw awesome adoption of pinning [applications] on the taskbar. We are seeing people pin like crazy. And so we saw the Start menu usage dramatically dropping, and that gave us an option. We’re saying 'look, Start menu usage is dropping, what can we do about it? What can we do with the Start menu to revive it, to give it some new identity, give it some new power?'"
"So I’m a desktop user, I pin the browser, Explorer, whatever my apps are. I don’t go the Start menu as often. If you’re going to the Start screen now, we’re going to unlock a whole new set of scenarios, or you can choose not to go there, stay in the desktop, and it’s still fast. You can’t beat the taskbar."
Sareen also claims that people are taking advantage of keyboard shortcuts to open applications, instead of resorting to the Start menu. "Press the Windows key and 1 and you’re already in IE [if IE is the first item pinned to your taskbar]. It’s so fast."

Metro for desktops
Sareen was also quick to dismiss criticism that the Metro interface is better suited to touchscreen devices than laptops and desktops.
Demonstrations during the day had seen two Microsoft presenters struggle to make gesture controls work on laptop trackpads, with the Start screen intermittently failing to scroll when the presenters swiped two fingers across the trackpad, for instance. Sareen insisted that the touchpad drivers were still "very, very early" and were "still being refined".
He also claimed that the Metro interface "really works well with the mouse and keyboard", highlighting features such as the option to search for applications simply by starting to type its name on the Metro Start screen.

Read more at:
Why Microsoft killed the Windows Start button | News | PC Pro

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds ok up front, but when talking about core technology (like the ability to play a video file) it hurts developers and users when windows is NOT a complete and ubiquitous system :/

"Sorry you can't install that app till you buy the X module from Microsoft for an additional $4.95" :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
They deliberately and cynically removed the choice.

They (MS) had to remove choice. As I've said from day one, the whole exercise is to earn money via downloaded apps and subscription cloud services. If you like the Metro UI then fine, go with it. If you don't, then there should be a Classic UI option at installation. But giving users the choice would defeat the MS game plan.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
"Sorry you can't install that app till you buy the X module from Microsoft for an additional $4.95" :(

And that is just the start. Soon the paid for apps will have a time restriction on them when guess what, it's time to renew for another few $$'s.

I'm a cynic about all of this but I know how some of these bean counters operate and I do not wish to be offensive with that remark as they are just following orders to squeeze the last penny out of the consumer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
It's funny when I read that a LOT of people are asking for the start menu back when those people are usually desktop users and a small chunk of users that test beta operating systems and discuss the new changes LONG before the typical consumer even knows about it. I personally don't know anyone asking for the start menu back, the few I have testing it other than me enjoy it.

As for the pinning, I personally find that's true. I pin like mad, I always set up installs of 7 to have everything needed pinned to the Taskbar versus the start menu. It's just easier, it's the first thing you see at start up and one click away. A typical Taskbar can hold MANY a program.

Then there are the people that want the menu back, but none of the Start Screen, though it literally acts the same way other than one difference. They will usually either a) get a shell to do that or b) mope about it and just install addons to 7 to replicate 8.

Change is needed, but always isn't welcome...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
"So I’m a desktop user, I pin the browser, Explorer, whatever my apps are. I don’t go the Start menu as often. If you’re going to the Start screen now, we’re going to unlock a whole new set of scenarios, or you can choose not to go there, stay in the desktop, and it’s still fast. You can’t beat the taskbar."

Power users who use the Start menu are a minority then? Is that what she is stating?

Clearly these people are well trained to deceive the flock of sheep and lead them in the wrong direction!

Also, how does one
you can choose not to go there, stay in the desktop
when it keeps coming back while navigating???!!!!

I would think so...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
They didn't have to remove choice - they decided to.

Could be a very bad decision.

That is why a large part of their existing user base is not behind them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I didn't use the Start button to launch most of my most popular apps. Like it said, those are pinned, others use things like Rocketdock and such to launch them. But for anything that I didn't have pinned, I clicked on the start menu and got around the system using it. So, while I used it less, I still used it from time to time.

I also don't use my CAPS LOCK key much, or my NUM LOCK key much...but I'm glad they are there when I need them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Cokie, it seems you will never understand.

Some people have very simple needs. In fact, they don't need a "computer" at all. They could do everything they want on a phone - emails, bit of browsing, playing Farting Fish and posting a bit of inconsequence on Twitter.

The only trouble with a phone is it is a bit small. They might be better with a tablet.They only need a few squares to jab at . They don't do anything that involves managing or creating content. Start screen is probably fine for that. Start menu is a bit fiddly on a tiny screen.

Those who do want to manage and create content have different needs. Start screen is a massive hindrance for that. They need to stay in the workspace - having several windows and programs running. To access something else from there - you could use a combination of taskbar pins, start menu, etc.

The start menu is not the only way - some people - like pparks use mainly taskbar pins - but they still use the start menu - it is the best, neatest solution.

It is not just geeks - I have no idea who these people are you are referring to.

Everybody I know thinks it absurd the start menu has gone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

Some people have very simple needs. In fact, they don't need a "computer" at all. They could do everything they want on a phone - emails, bit of browsing, playing Farting Fish and posting a bit of inconsequence on Twitter.

The only trouble with a phone is it is a bit small. They might be better with a tablet.They only need a few squares to jab at . They don't do anything that involves managing or creating content. Start screen is probably fine for that. Start menu is a bit fiddly on a tiny screen.

Those who do want to manage and create content have different needs. Start screen is a massive hindrance for that. They need to stay in the workspace - having several windows and programs running. To access something else from there - you could use a combination of taskbar pins, start menu, etc.

The start menu is not the only way - some people - like pparks use mainly taskbar pins - but they still use the start menu - it is the best, neatest solution.

It is not just geeks - I have no idea who these people are you are referring to.

:ditto:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast

This man has got it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W7

:ditto: same here , every forum I'm member thing the same.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
Refuses to understand

I think "refuses to understand" would be a more accurate description.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,

And Microsoft commercialize to the market that W8 Metro you can do open a lot of programs at a time, multi task dock. Having a tablet can do anywhere, everywhere you go.

I can say that I can move without start menu.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8 Release Preview, 7 Home Premium
    ASUS K53SJ Notebook
    CPU
    CPU @ 2.10GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M Processor
    Memory
    DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM, 2 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 8 G SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 520M with 1GB DDR3 VRAM
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6" 16:9 HD (1366x768) LED Backlight
    Hard Drives
    500GB 5400rpm/7200rpm
    Case
    Aluminum Blue
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    HP 2.4 GHz Wireless Optical Mobile Mouse
    Other Info
    Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter
    Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
    Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Microsoft claims it took the controversial decision to remove the Start button from the traditional Windows desktop because people had stopped using it.
I stopped reading after this. I don't know where the f- they got this statement from but fact is, I still use the Start Menu (and I consider myself a Power User) and everyone I know that are using Windows USE the start menu. FGS

SIW2 said:
The real reason is clear - it is to try and force the start screen on users.
I couldn't agree more!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium FR x64
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte X35A-UD3R
    Memory
    Corsair XMS3 DDR3 3x2GB 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus nVidia GeForce GTX460 1GB Factory Overclocked
    Sound Card
    HT Omega Claro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus VW246H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1x OCZ Vertex 2 90GB SSD, 1x Hitachi 7200RPM 500GB, 1x 1TB WD Green
    PSU
    Silverstone DA700 700W
    Case
    Lian-Li Lancool PC-K62
    Cooling
    Case : Stock, CPU : Cooler Master Hyper N520
    Keyboard
    Logitech Media Elite Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    30MBits down, 1Mbits up
    Other Info
    Scanner : Canon LiDE 200
    Printer : Samsung ML-2010

:ditto: same here , every forum I'm member think the same.

:ditto: x 2

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
No... they changed it just to change it at best, and they did it to force Metro on us at worst. Or... they were smoking crack. There is no logical explanation.
:ditto: At least if they were on crack it might be somewhat understandable!

Unquestionably it's purpose is to promote Metro for touchfone/tablet market. And fair enough if they're trying for a bigger share of that market ...

But don't dress it up for something it's not! ... meaning a better OS for desktop users.

M$ embarrass themselves with their justifications. Have they adopted the attitude of newspaper producers who aim to sell their product to consumers with a level of understanding of the average IQ of a 12 year old? :confused:

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st PC: Win7 Ultimate 64bit Retail. 2nd PC: Vista Ulimtate 32bit OEM
    Self assembled
    CPU
    Ist PC: Intel quad core i7-960 2nd PC: Intel quad core i5-2400
    Motherboard
    DX58SO2 Extreme; Intel DH67CL
    Memory
    12GB Kingston DDR3 1300; 8GB DDR3 1300
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti Graphics/Sound card; Onboard graphics
    Sound Card
    Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti Graphics/Sound card; Onboard sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S24B300H; S23A350H
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    124GB Corsair Performance SSD SATA3; 120GB Corsair Force SSD SATA3
    Case
    Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced; Centurion 5 II
    Cooling
    CPU, Back, Top & Rear extraction fans both PCs
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Multimedia
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Optical
    Internet Speed
    Theoretical max 100MB/sec Actual 0.5MB/sec
Me too, I use the Start Menu all the time. Sorry MSFT, you guys ever work for RIM by any chance?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Ult SP1 + Win 10 Pro - (x64)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware® ALX X58
    CPU
    Intel® Core i7-975 Extreme 3.86 GHz 8MB Cache
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Socket 1366 Core i7, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Mem
    Memory
    24GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 6 x 4096MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295/Hauppauge HVR2250 TV Tuner
    Sound Card
    Onboard Soundmax® High definition Sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080P
    Hard Drives
    2 X 500gb SATA
    1 X 1TB SATA
    1 X 3TB external eSATA
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU
    Case
    Alienware® P2 ALX Chassis with AlienIce 3.0 Video Cooling
    Cooling
    Alienware® High-Perf. Liquid Cooling + Acoustic Dampening
    Keyboard
    Microsoft® Wireless Entertainment 8000 + Logitech® G15 Wired
    Mouse
    Microsoft® Wireless Laser 8000 + Logitech® G9 Wired
    Internet Speed
    1tbs
    Other Info
    Using non-RAID on purpose as I find it too fussy and temperamental.
sigh I would have hoped they had two versions. But if they don't then windows 8 will not be complete. They are removing the choice to just use the desktop. While I do enjoy the long overdue faster performance, there really isn't anything else that is that much better in my opinion. I actually did try to put the start screen into my flow but it just is annoying. The charms bar pops up when you don't need it and when you do it takes up time. The stuff I could easily get to on the start menu are made that much more annoying to get through using the explorer. If I want to use a program that I haven't pinned since I don't use it often I have to go into the start screen and scroll to it. Even the way how they have designed the scroll bar suggest that it isn't for mouse/keyboard usage(referring to the metro side) the scroll bars look clunky and dated.

I don't mind getting us to use the start screen I believe it will be fine say maybe on a tablet. But I would not want to do the same things with a mouse. I feel like I actually have to use my mouse more although technically they were supposed to make it just work. I also hate when I go to the corner of the top of the screen while trying to click something and instead the recently opened app pops up instead. When the screen is split into two the hidden menu is still at the furthest left corner even when you split screen is on the right side. I get it for the start screen screen shot but that is just weird for the hidden menu, beside the fact that it's hidden.

I don't hate windows 8 but I wish they thought more about it and let people choose hybrid, just metro or just desktop. Now they are forcing the hybrid on us and treating the desktop as an app and the hidden menu is just weird.

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Back