What problem does Windows 8 solve?

Summary: Windows 8 is intended to be Microsoft’s platform that does everything for everyone. The problem is it doesn’t solve anyone’s problems, so who will need it?

As Microsoft gets Windows 8 ready for the Consumer Preview coming shortly I am spending a lot of time thinking about the next OS from Redmond. There is a lot to consider given its multiple personalities. It’s a desktop OS, mobile OS, tablet OS, and touch OS all rolled into one. Rather, all rolled into multiple SKUs depending on the hardware involved. I admit to feeling more uneasy about Windows 8 the more I consider what problem(s) it intends to address. Fact is I just don’t see any.

Source

A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate/Windows 8.1/Linux
    CPU
    FX-8350
    Motherboard
    GA-990XA-UD3
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD7860
    Sound Card
    Xonar Essence STX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Various
    PSU
    Corsair HX 850W
    Case
    Corsair Obsidian
    Cooling
    Thermalright
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50/50
    Browser
    firefox
I guess that makes people with the new type of screens "touchers"?

As in "Oooh look at those touchers over there with their fancy new screens" lolol

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86
    CPU
    P4 3.4 GHz HT
    Motherboard
    MSI-7211
    Memory
    OCZ 2 GB DDR @ 400 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS AGP HD 3850 Turbo Ice-Q
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer x223w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    WD Caviar Black 1 TB Sata II, WD 400 GB Sata I, WD 120 GB Sata I
    PSU
    300W generic
    Case
    Cybertron
    Keyboard
    Logitech Classic Keyboard 200, Dell RT7D20
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    2 MByte/sec Down, 250 KByte/sec Up
Being able to type, does not equate to computer efficiency, it's simply another way of doing things.

You sound like a mouser. Keyboard commands are usually faster than mousing and speed is a major part of efficiency.

Actually, I'm both. I'm able to type at reasonable speeds, I'm also able to use one hand on the keyboard and the other on the mouse. which method I choose to use, is totally independent of my efficiency.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    FX-8350
    Motherboard
    GA-990XA-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD7860
    Sound Card
    Xonar Essence STX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Various
    PSU
    Corsair HX 850W
    Case
    Corsair Obsidian
    Cooling
    Thermalright
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50/50
    Browser
    firefox
Actually, I'm both. I'm able to type at reasonable speeds, I'm also able to use one hand on the keyboard and the other on the mouse. which method I choose to use, is totally independent of my efficiency.

Same exactly as how I do. I don't think I've ever been accused of being inefficient lol. :)

I'm ambidextrous and how I'm sitting dictates which hand uses the mouse.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    P4 3.4 GHz HT
    Motherboard
    MSI-7211
    Memory
    OCZ 2 GB DDR @ 400 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer x223w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    300W generic
    Case
    Cybertron
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
Same exactly as how I do. I don't think I've ever been accused of being inefficient lol.
Likely because you associate with other mousers.

This conversation reminds me of one that I had long ago and far away with a coworker who claimed that his hunt and peck method of typing was as fast as touch typing. I challenged him to prove it so we were given identical copy and set to typing. I finished in about half the time that he did and, like you guys, he said, "I'm fast enough for me" and stomped out of the room.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
Same exactly as how I do. I don't think I've ever been accused of being inefficient lol.
Likely because you associate with other mousers.

This conversation reminds me of one that I had long ago and far away with a coworker who claimed that his hunt and peck method of typing was as fast as touch typing. I challenged him to prove it so we were given identical copy and set to typing. I finished in about half the time that he did and, like you guys, he said, "I'm fast enough for me" and stomped out of the room.

Well, your way is obviously the only way and you're evidently very proud of being so efficient. :rolleyes:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    FX-8350
    Motherboard
    GA-990XA-UD3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD7860
    Sound Card
    Xonar Essence STX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Benq
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Various
    PSU
    Corsair HX 850W
    Case
    Corsair Obsidian
    Cooling
    Thermalright
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50/50
    Browser
    firefox
Hi guys

What's the point

Haven't you ever heard of the old saying that "Work expands to fill the time available to do it in".
In my experience around 90% of people have much more time at work than they really need -- the old 5 day 40 hour week is a hangover from the old days when people either did backbreaking stints out farming in the fields picking crops or were employed in enormous factories on shift work.

Our whole working mechanisms have changed but we still stick to a formula decided by some very ruthless British Victorian Factory owners at the start of "The Industrial Revolution". - Not castigating the British here - but they were the first large industrial power. Others like US and Germany followed exactly the same pattern as they got going around the 1880's.

Works often comes in peaks -- sometimes there ISN'T enough time but generally who cares if someone takes 10 mins longer to prepare a document than another if there's enough time to complete the thing in the first place.

I only worry about time in TWO instances

1) Have Manchester United got enough time left to score that winning Goal
2) The Pub is going to close and I'm STILL THIRSTY.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Wow! A school with no typewriters. Where was that?

Not knowing how to type doesn't keep someone from using a computer but it does make it more difficult.

I once worked with a programmer who couldn't type. You'd hear the rest of us going "clickity-click-click-clickity-click" on our keyboards and there was this fellow going "click. . . . . . click . . . . . click . . . . . click . . . .. click." It was rather comical.

HEY!! Not funny!! We programmers don't need to type fast, just put code in, and...and...and YOU were only in typing class to look at those girls!!! :thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
the old 5 day 40 hour week is a hangover from the old days when people either did backbreaking stints out farming in the fields picking crops or were employed in enormous factories on shift work.

You need to revisit history. The 5 day/40 hour work week was a creation of the 20th century, specifically the automotive industry. Henry Ford believed that a shorter work week which would creating more leisure time would would allow his workers to spend more money which would increase his business.

Farmers have historically worked dawn to dusk six days a week with some taking a break on Sunday. The industrial revolution found people working 16 hours a day, seven days a week for pennies. Ford changed all of that.

The sad thing is that we are sliding backwards to less leisure time and more work time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
The sad thing is that we are sliding backwards to less leisure time and more work time.

We are also sliding back to an era of the super rich , a small middle class and a mass of low paid workers with little chance of advancement.

The system is approaching the end of its life cycle.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Indeed

We are also sliding back to an era of the super rich , a small middle class and a mass of low paid workers with little chance of advancement.

The system is approaching the end of its life cycle.

Thanks to our democratically-elected "representatives" (regardless of their political alignment).

"You will not be saved by Windows 8. You will not be saved by the god Democracy. In fact, YOU WILL NOT BE SAVED."
Apologies to John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness". :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Only $125? Wow! I was charging that over ten years ago. Think of what you could charge if you could type!

I have 5 tech working for me. I have more before when I owned 3 computers stores, but I close them 6 years ago, to much work.

....... I currently work as a salesman for a large department store..

So what happen ? the trick is not how much you charge, but how long you stay in business, my company is 32 years old.

Wow! A school with no typewriters. Where was that?

Don't try to play smart here, it was a very select private school, with tough exam to be admit, peoples who graduate there are Doctor now, I was going to get my Ph.D. in chemistry but I fall in love with computer instead. The school here with typewriter are for the one who learn to be secretary. I'm not a shame to not be a professional typist, so no need to try to diminish peoples because they don't have secretary skill. I prefer to know how to hold a hammer, I build my house myself, peoples are always impress when they see it and know it's me who build it.

off topic : When I say build it's from A to Z, here a pic of the foundation of my computer shop at the side of my house, I do everything myself.

http://s554.photobucket.com/albums/jj432/dataxpert/?action=view&current=fondation.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
Hi guys

What's the point

Haven't you ever heard of the old saying that "Work expands to fill the time available to do it in".
In my experience around 90% of people have much more time at work than they really need -- the old 5 day 40 hour week is a hangover from the old days when people either did backbreaking stints out farming in the fields picking crops or were employed in enormous factories on shift work.

Our whole working mechanisms have changed but we still stick to a formula decided by some very ruthless British Victorian Factory owners at the start of "The Industrial Revolution". - Not castigating the British here - but they were the first large industrial power. Others like US and Germany followed exactly the same pattern as they got going around the 1880's.

Works often comes in peaks -- sometimes there ISN'T enough time but generally who cares if someone takes 10 mins longer to prepare a document than another if there's enough time to complete the thing in the first place.

I only worry about time in TWO instances

1) Have Manchester United got enough time left to score that winning Goal
2) The Pub is going to close and I'm STILL THIRSTY.

Cheers
jimbo

Considering my post about how I need to do things quickly and it's just how I am naturally - this still might be the absolute best post on this forum as of yet. haha

I think we are all above average intelligence here, so it's cool to see I'm not alone in some of my worldly views at times. Thanks!

The U.S.A. is guilty of the above probably more so than most other countries. For instance, I've learned that in countries of Europe, perhaps like Spain, it is common to take a lunch break from about 12-5 (give or take) complete with sleeping time. Or compare even USA now to 1970s, and it is easy to see the nonsense.

Then, an unskilled man could easily support an entire family on his own. Nowadays, it practically takes 2 skilled workers to do the same, or close enough.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    P4 3.4 GHz HT
    Motherboard
    MSI-7211
    Memory
    OCZ 2 GB DDR @ 400 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer x223w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    300W generic
    Case
    Cybertron
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
I think area 66 is right. In my days you would only learn typing in our (German) so called middle schools (6 years after elementary school - not to be confused with the American middle school). Those people would then typically end up in lower level jobs.

In schools that prepared you for an academic career (9 years after elementary school), there was no typing instruction. Only about 30% of all students went to those schools and I guess the assumption was that they would have secretaries. Computers were not yet on the agenda - in the mid 50s.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
So what happen ? the trick is not how much you charge, but how long you stay in business, my company is 32 years old.
I retired.

Don't try to play smart here, it was a very select private school, with tough exam to be admit, peoples who graduate there are Doctor

So? People who went to my school that had typewriters became doctors too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
In schools that prepared you for an academic career (9 years after elementary school), there was no typing instruction.
Typing was encouraged for the college bound because we would need to type many, many papers.
I suppose. The eduction system in the US is quite different then it was in my country in my days. May have changed by now though - after 50 years.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Back