What problem does Windows 8 solve?

Summary: Windows 8 is intended to be Microsoft’s platform that does everything for everyone. The problem is it doesn’t solve anyone’s problems, so who will need it?

As Microsoft gets Windows 8 ready for the Consumer Preview coming shortly I am spending a lot of time thinking about the next OS from Redmond. There is a lot to consider given its multiple personalities. It’s a desktop OS, mobile OS, tablet OS, and touch OS all rolled into one. Rather, all rolled into multiple SKUs depending on the hardware involved. I admit to feeling more uneasy about Windows 8 the more I consider what problem(s) it intends to address. Fact is I just don’t see any.

Source

A Guy

Folks, I have a cloud OS on my Win 7 machine, and it is slow as molasses. But I use it to store important documents.

Another benefit is that you can access your cloud OS from any computer, with any OS, from anywhere in the world, and some businesses are using it for communication, in addition to backing up important documents.

Cloud computing has a long way to go. But it is improving, and I agree with MS that it will become an important part of computing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I would just use a thumb drive for that.

No, because if I use Google App I can make a contract some place for one of my tech who is another place. Or I can review a quote he is making, you can open the same document at same time.

Folks, I have a cloud OS on my Win 7 machine, and it is slow as molasses.

Have you try Google apps, it's really fast, and you can work more than a person on the same document at the same time, it'S funny to see the other person add something, you see what he is writing in a document like if it was a chat.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
I doubt it

Then there are the (choose your flavor) Linux users who are sick of having to run dual boot to do anything and of having to fight like dogs to find freaking drivers. They'll try win 8 just because it's so much less resource intensive that Win 7, and they won't have much trouble figuring out the controls because all they have to do is watch a couple youtube videos.

I get the distinct impression that most Linux users, are people who hate Apple and MS "with a vengeance".

They hate:
  • The way the Windows prevents you from easily accessing its internals.
  • dlls.
  • The Registry.

W8 still uses more resources, than Linux distros (probably about 2x)

As for reaching across your desk to tap a touch screen, I hazard a guess that most of the personal use pcs that are operating in the world are already notebooks and netbooks.

Every business I've seen has lots of Desktops (the same is true at TAFE).
Laptops are seen as luxury/status item, which is why management seem to be the only ones with access to them.

And Win 8 is fast, and it is flashy. Win 8 permits something that Win 7 never could have: it could win back some apple users to pc. That's the problem that Windows 8 solves.

IMO, Apple users don't use iDevices, because they are "better", they use them because they are made by Apple.

It depends on your definition of better, though. :)

I get that Win8 is very cloud enabled, but you really don't have to use any of those features -- you can use everything locally on your machine (and it will still run faster/lighter than win7). Can anyone explain in small words and complete sentences why having cloud operation built in = d$$ms day when using the cloud is optional and not even necessarily useful for a lot of users?

Assuming you meant "not optional":
They will suck a lot more money out of you, by forcing you to rent your OS, software and storage.

They will also claim that piracy is costing them, "trillions" of dollars every year and that the "Cloud" is the only way to stop it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
I get the distinct impression that most Linux users, are people who hate Apple and MS "with a vengeance".

Where the H.. you get this stupid Idea, aside of few nerds, Most Linux users don't hate Microsoft or Apple. may be some hate Microsoft , But a vengeance ????? For sure many of them like the free side of Linux.

Laptops are seen as luxury/status item, which is why management seem to be the only ones with access to them.

Luxury ? .. a good and decent Dell notebook cost only $ 500, more and more business purchase Notebook.

Then there are the (choose your flavor) Linux users who are sick of having to run dual boot to do anything and of having to fight like dogs to find freaking drivers. They'll try win 8 just because it's so much less resource intensive that Win 7, and they won't have much trouble figuring out the controls because all they have to do is watch a couple youtube videos.

oh boy you certainly have not try Linux recently, I install it on may recent motherboard without a single drivers issue. Aside dual boot ??? you never ear about VM, I don't use dual boot since 2 years. Look on this pic , I run Windows 7 with this tread open on 1 monitor and Pinguy Linux on the second one, all at the same time, all in the same PC, Do you think Youtube is only for Windows ? I can't tell you, If I don't want to spend a single cent on Windows 8 , Linux users will not do also for sure. ( Actually I will have Windows 8 include with my technet subscription, so I will not pay extra for it, and I will use it only in my lab, so it's perfect with the technet license)

dualos.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
Businesses buy notebooks for people who need a computer away from the office. Regular people buy notebooks because they have a fantasy that the notebook will make them special. Just like the people you see wandering the mall carrying their iPads, just in case they get a strange urge to look something up on Wikipedia.

I don't own a notebook computer. Why should I? Everyplace I go has a computer. When I visit friends, they have computers. When I go to a hotel, it has a computer. Heck, I've even gone into stores in malls and used their computers when I had a sudden urge to send an email.

Back to businesses. I'm pretty sure that most business computers are still desktop units because you can get a better monitor on a desktop, have the monitor in a better position, have a better keyboard and mouse, and an all around better user experience.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
Anecdotal

Where the H.. you get this stupid Idea, aside of few nerds, Most Linux users don't hate Microsoft or Apple. may be some hate Microsoft , But a vengeance ????? For sure many of them like the free side of Linux.

Anecdotal for sure.

Every Linux user I personally know, hates Windows (e.g. my lecturers, my fellow students & my housemate).
The only things they hate more than Windows, are Apple and Ubuntu.

My Linux lecturer's OS ranking:
  • Fedora
  • Windows 7
  • Ubuntu
  • OSX

You obviously don't visit many forums.
When I visit other forums, there are always multiple Linux and Mac users, "rabbiting on" about things that are wrong with Windows.
BTW, most of the so-called "problems" they rant about, haven't existed since the end of W98.

I use Ubuntu 10 for certain tasks, but I prefer to use W7.
I find that I have to use the Terminal more often than I'd like (e.g. trying to install software that isn't in the Repository).

Luxury ? .. a good and decent Dell notebook cost only $ 500, more and more business purchase Notebook.

Again, anecdotal for sure.

At my last job, the business had about 40 desktops and 5 laptops.
TAFE has 100's of desktops, but I have only seen one laptop (I'm sure that there are others).

Certain businesses obviously would be different (i.e. mobile salesperson).
They'd have mostly laptops.

One of my friends, measures microwave radiation from radio towers, he uses a laptop to record the data.

oh boy you certainly have not try Linux recently, I install it on may recent motherboard without a single drivers issue. Aside dual boot ??? you never ear about VM, I don't use dual boot since 2 years. Look on this pic , I run Windows 7 with this tread open on 1 monitor and Pinguy Linux on the second one, all at the same time, all in the same PC, Do you think Youtube is only for Windows ? I can't tell you, If I don't want to spend a single cent on Windows 8 , Linux users will not do also for sure. ( Actually I will have Windows 8 include with my technet subscription, so I will not pay extra for it, and I will use it only in my lab, so it's perfect with the technet license)

Indeed.
What does the OS have to do with watching YouTube?

Firefox runs on Linux distros and Windows.
It crashes occasionally on Windows, but I've never seen it crash on Ubuntu 10.

I can't really envisage any Linux users switching to W8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
Every Linux user I personally know, hates Windows (e.g. my lecturers, my fellow students & my housemate).
How much of that hatred is just being one of the cool kids? You see that in many parts of the universe.

The really sad thing is that so much of this hatred is misdirected. No one is forcing them to use Windows or an Apple. We are still living in a fairly free society and the government has yet to tell us which operating system to use.

The cool kids will continue to knock Windows no matter what. Why? Because it sets them apart and makes them special.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
From a certain point of view

How much of that hatred is just being one of the cool kids? You see that in many parts of the universe.

That might apply to "my fellow students".

"My housemate" and "my lecturers" aren't in that age group.

No one is forcing them to use Windows or an Apple.

TAFE is a "Windows shop" (as are most businesses).
So they are being forced to use it, "from a certain point of view". :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info

Indeed.
What does the OS have to do with watching YouTube?

Firefox runs on Linux distros and Windows.
It crashes occasionally on Windows, but I've never seen it crash on Ubuntu 10.

I can't really envisage any Linux users switching to W8.

Lol, I have never been a Linux user. I made the comment on the basis that two friends running Linux have expressed interest in testing Win8CP (one has installed as far as I know) since seeing it on my tablet. In both cases, they were drawn to how fast it runs on my less than awesome (hardware wise) tablet, and wanted to reproduce the speed on their devices.

Good point; the OS doesn't have anything to do with watching youtube -- I made the comment because both of the Linux users I know are less than or not much more techie that I am and would just go to youtube to figure out how to do things the Metro way rather than implementing hacks to get it to look or run more like win 7. The argument that I was trying to make (sorry if it was muddled) is that many users will just adapt to windows 8 through the simple expedient of watching videos online.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Viliv S10 3G
    CPU
    Atom Z530 (1.6GHz)
    Memory
    1GB DDR2 SDRAM (533MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel GMA 500
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366/768
    Hard Drives
    SanDisk 64GB SSD
    Internet Speed
    6.41/5.47 MBPS
    Other Info
    WiFi 802.11 b/g
    Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
    Internal 3G (Huawei EM770W:
    HSPA/UMTS 850/900/1900/2100MHz,
    HSUPA: 5.76Mbps (UL) / HSDPA: 7.2Mbps (DL))
What ever happened to the tried and true method of learning a new O/S? HANDS ON!

Think that approach is still relevant. There must be a reason to change though and it's up to MS to convince user's of those benefits. At the moment Win8 seems to be heading towards downloaded apps and cloud computing which is not for me personally.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
You obviously don't visit many forums.
When I visit other forums, there are always multiple Linux and Mac users, "rabbiting on" about things that are wrong with Windows...

On Pinguy forum we don't have so much of those peoples. If you ask me it's just show their weakness, I means they say it to look cool on front of other Linux users, Real Linux guy I know, never argue or show me this attitude in person. I'm proud on any forum to say that I like Linux, Windows, Mac OS or what ever run on a computer.

Don't get me wrong because I complain a lot about Windows 8, I don't dislike totally Windows 8 it's mainly the fact they focus too much on touch screen for it. For a restaurant or a cashier with touch screen and no space for a mouse and keyboard, Windows 8 is great, but for power users with a mouse , it's not that great, Microsoft is just plain stupid and shoot in their feet with it. I understand they want us to use the start page instead of the start menu, but what in their mind to make us use the corner of the screen to reach the start page and the charm menu; it's not friendly at all on multi-monitors system. On my Android phone I have a button on the casing to access the menu, nothing is hide. We have the windows key we can use to access the start page, but we don't have for the charm menu, of course I can use win+i but it's 2 keys, one too much at my taste, I want keep one hand on my mouse, it's plain stupid to force peoples to drop the mouse to go click on the "i" and after return on the mouse to click an option. As I said on multi-monitors, clicking the corner is something that make you angry not smiling

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
What ever happened to the tried and true method of learning a new O/S? HANDS ON!

If you are using it as a toy, that works well. If it is your job to know it, that works well also. However, if you are using it as a tool and you already have a tool that works, taking the time to learn a new tool that will not improve your productivity just doesn't make sense.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
New is not always better and throwing technology doesn't always solve problems.

Here's a real world example of that. I currently work as a salesman for a large department store. Recently, some brightboy decided that we should replace our cash registers with iPads. Of course, someone's career depends on this so there is big pressure to "accept the change." The problem is that using the iPad is far slower than using the cash register and isn't because we are learning the process, the process is slower.

Let's suppose that you want to buy one small item. First, I have to poke the item number into the iPad and wait for it to find it and bring up a picture of it. Then I select the item and double poke on it to expand it. Next I add it to the shopping cart. Then I go to the cart and click checkout. Now I ask all sorts of stupid questions about before the software will let me continue. Finally, we get to the payment screen. God help you if now the customer says "Wait a sec, I'd like to get two of those" because you have to keep poking the back button until you get back to the first shopping cart screen. This process takes about five minutes. Not too long you might say.

If I was using the register, the process takes 15 seconds from "I want to buy this" to "please swipe your card." We timed it.

It's new and "wonderful" and it is being rammed down our throats but no one wants to use it. Even the new guys who haven't been using the register for years recognize that it is an insane process.

New is only better if it makes your job easier.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
I want keep one hand on my mouse, it's plain stupid to force peoples to drop the mouse to go click on the "i" and after return on the mouse to click an option.
I'm a keyboard guy and would rather keep my fingers on the keys. Can you not select options by using the keys?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
An OS should evolve to enhance the user experience. If the user has to find ways to make it work because the OS was principally designed for a touch screen, then I would say Microsoft is out of touch.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX8320
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD 7870
Indeed

How do you think people discovered that W8 was awful?
They installed some programs (or drivers) and then tried to use them.

On Pinguy forum we don't have so much of those peoples.

You probably get Apple and Windows users "shooting their mouths off".

New is not always better and throwing technology doesn't always solve problems.
New is only better if it makes your job easier.

Exactly. :)

When Ubuntu moved the window control buttons to the left, one of the most popular searches was "How do I move the window control buttons back to the right?"

Politician's Fallacy
As is common with fallacious undistributed middle arguments, it can also be seen as the fallacy of affirming the consequent when restated as an equivalent hypothetical syllogism:

1. To improve things, things must change.
  2. We are changing things.
  3. Therefore, we are improving things.

Wikipedia
Politician's syllogism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
I'm a keyboard guy and would rather keep my fingers on the keys. Can you not select options by using the keys?

NO I DON'T WANT TO USE THE KEY, we not a the DOS age any more. Microsoft for years make us use a mouse, why I should step back ? I use a mouse for make technical drawing, aside like PaulGo say, an OS as to enhance the user experience. I'm quite happy with my Windows 7 and I'm not with Windows 8, first time in 30 years I'm not happy with a new Microsoft OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB