What problem does Windows 8 solve?

Summary: Windows 8 is intended to be Microsoft’s platform that does everything for everyone. The problem is it doesn’t solve anyone’s problems, so who will need it?

As Microsoft gets Windows 8 ready for the Consumer Preview coming shortly I am spending a lot of time thinking about the next OS from Redmond. There is a lot to consider given its multiple personalities. It’s a desktop OS, mobile OS, tablet OS, and touch OS all rolled into one. Rather, all rolled into multiple SKUs depending on the hardware involved. I admit to feeling more uneasy about Windows 8 the more I consider what problem(s) it intends to address. Fact is I just don’t see any.

Source

A Guy

The only Microsoft OS that I previously skipped was Windows ME. I also will be sticking with Windows 7 and not going to MEtro.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX8320
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A99X EVO
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD 7870
NO I DON'T WANT TO USE THE KEY, we not a the DOS age any more.

What does DOS have to do with it. Keystrokes are far faster than mousing. Alt-F4 is faster than finding the X and clicking on it. Ctrl-S is far faster than mousing to the file menu then clicking on Save. In fact, I can do both without looking at the screen. Graphics programs, sure go with the mouse but I'd rather have a pen input.

I cry when I watch people using a computer and trying to fill out a form. Type their first name, then mouse and click. Type their surname then mouse and click. Type their address then mouse and click. What happened to the Tab key?

YMMV.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
Typing

Not many people can type (or at least, type as competently as they claim).

Most of the letters on my keyboard have worn off.
My friends can't use my PC to visit any Internet sites that require logins.
They can't type in their user names and passwords.

It actually functions as an additional layer of security. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
I'm a keyboard guy and would rather keep my fingers on the keys. Can you not select options by using the keys?

NO I DON'T WANT TO USE THE KEY, we not a the DOS age any more. Microsoft for years make us use a mouse, why I should step back ? I use a mouse for make technical drawing, aside like PaulGo say, an OS as to enhance the user experience. I'm quite happy with my Windows 7 and I'm not with Windows 8, first time in 30 years I'm not happy with a new Microsoft OS.

That's NOT true area 66, I bet you hated Windows ME way worst than Windows 8! :busted:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail

It actually functions as an additional layer of security. :D
That is certainly true. I always take my own keyboard when I go work on friends desktops. My keyboard is backlit - else I would not know where the letters are. I also take my own mouse. It is a scrollball mouse. I just cannot work with those other mices.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I'm FAR from being a geek, BUT enjoying learning something new, and I find it fun, and doesn't have to be an O/S.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
I'm FAR from being a geek, BUT enjoying learning something new, and I find it fun, and doesn't have to be an O/S.

Uhm, Mike, now, I don't want you to take this personally, but, uhm, you have Windows 7, and Windows 8, and Debian, installed on your computer, and uh, that means, uhm, you're a, uhm, uh, intelligent, yeah, that's what I wanted to say, intelligent.

And you're also a geek.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
The only Microsoft OS that I previously skipped was Windows ME. I also will be sticking with Windows 7 and not going to MEtro.

Actually I HATED Windows NT (NeanderThal or No Thanks) with a passion. -- This might have been OK for a server but for a Desktop OS it was almost impossible to get ANYTHING to work unless you had a doctorate in Engineering, Phgysics or Computer Science. Even connecting to the Internet needed one to go through all sorts of hassles with the RAS (Remote Access Services) to even have a small possibility of getting the wretched system to work.

As for connecting any "Plug 'n Play" devices like USB printers / disks -- forget it. Didn't work without MEGA work.

For all its faults Windows Me at least operated as a workstation OS that didn't consume too many resources -- it performed certainly better than Vista although you would have been better off using Windows 2000.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
My wife and I each had a computer with ME as the OS and never had a problem. I installed ME n several old computers at the orphanage a couple of years ago and never had a problem (although they never went online with those computers). But I've heard the complaint from several professional programmers over the years, so I guess I was fortunate.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I have a neighbor that is still running ME.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

Don't they teach typing in school anymore? I took typing in highschool in 1974 and it was the most useful class that I took. The typewriters (remember those) in class had no letters on the keys.

Score one for old keyboards, the letters couldn't rub off.

That is really sad in today's world.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
Don't they teach typing in school anymore? I took typing in highschool in 1974 and it was the most useful class that I took. The typewriters (remember those) in class had no letters on the keys.

In 1974 I was finishing my high school, and we don't have a single typewriters, it was a boy college. Honestly that never stop me to use a computer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
Wow! A school with no typewriters. Where was that?

Not knowing how to type doesn't keep someone from using a computer but it does make it more difficult.

I once worked with a programmer who couldn't type. You'd hear the rest of us going "clickity-click-click-clickity-click" on our keyboards and there was this fellow going "click. . . . . . click . . . . . click . . . . . click . . . .. click." It was rather comical.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7

I did typing in 1980 (it was an optional class).
Our mechanical typewriters had little aprons that covered the keys.

I also had to do it again in 2000, when I was studying for Certificate II in IT.

That is really sad in today's world.

The weird thing is that they are all "heavy" computer users.

One of my friends doesn't know any of his passwords.
He just thrashes on the keyboard and lets the computer remember it for him. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
I took typing in high school. But it was a class of me and 20 girls. For some reason I was distracted :D I'd make one mistake and rip the paper out. Drove the teacher crazy. Still have to look at the keys as I type to this very day. A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    KINGSTON HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27MP33HQ 32" IPS LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB, 2 x SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda® 7200.12, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache
    PSU
    ANTEC TruePower New TP-550, 80 PLUS®, 550W
    Case
    ANTEC Three Hundred Illusion
    Cooling
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, 3 x 120mm 1 x 140mm Case
    Internet Speed
    20 + Mbps
    Browser
    Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    Avast
Wow! A school with no typewriters. Where was that?

Not knowing how to type doesn't keep someone from using a computer but it does make it more difficult.

I once worked with a programmer who couldn't type. You'd hear the rest of us going "clickity-click-click-clickity-click" on our keyboards and there was this fellow going "click. . . . . . click . . . . . click . . . . . click . . . .. click." It was rather comical.

when I need to make click, click, click I ask my secretary to do so. I go make $ 125 an hour service call the time she do so. And since I just deal with small and medium business, a lot of service calls are for help peoples who know how to type fast but don't have an idea where to find their documents.

And what all those typing school lesson have to do with Windows 8 ? are you saying I'm better to learn how to type 60 words a minute if I want to leant how to use Windows 8 .... well I have better thing to so and I have other option too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
when I need to make click, click, click I ask my secretary to do so.

Pretty difficult to have someone else do your typing when you are a programmer.

I go make $ 125 an hour service call the time she do so

Only $125? Wow! I was charging that over ten years ago. Think of what you could charge if you could type!

And what all those typing school lesson have to do with Windows 8 ?

It has to do with being able to use a computer efficiently without having to resort to a mouse constantly.

are you saying I'm better to learn how to type 60 words a minute.
You're also too old to start now. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7
Back