W8 could be better by REMOVING the desktop APP

Ok let me know if any developments, I am interested to find out.

I didn't notice if mine was off. I just didn't take the time to see. The update came and I installed. I have mine configured to download but give me the choice to install. Just like to see what's being installed mostly for the number of updates. All is running and well.

I did however tack Defender to task bar to keep an eye on it as caperjack posted, which I think is a good idea. Thanks for that tip. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Right. If ya thought 8 was a dismal failure now, imagine if they hadn't have left a back door to normal town...

No, I'm terribly sorry, but that would have been a huge mistake, and old Balmer would already have been fired by now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
Why would I want to sit behind my PC when I could be outside enjoying nature as well? I am more a part of nature than a machine. I do not desire a machine to control me. I want to control it.

Take a drink. Take a drive. Go out and see what you can find. :)

Hopefully you don't drink and drive, nor text/compute and drive.

That said, sitting outside in 35+C heat, freezing winter, howling gale, bucketing rain etc with a tablet is not my idea of fun. Nor is sitting a lounge chair with a 10" tablet trying to do anything more complex than typing in a Google search query, with power cables running underfoot so that you don't run out of power on a Windows tablet.

For those who think the planet is moving away from desktops, or fixed, large screen, computers keep dreaming. Every device that we have today has evolved because it serves a functional and efficient purpose. The desktop wil not go away.

To remove the desktop, Microsoft would have to provide something that exactly mimicked the functionality of the desktop, with multiple windows etc, for one or a dozen screens, and major software companies would have to develop their programs to fit within the resource limited specs of RT.

That's going to be some ask. So if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's very likely that it is a duck (cue for an avid fanboy for a lame comeback).

Lol. Nothing personal, Ray, but sometimes I think you have a way of justifying the means to your own end.

No, I don't drink and drive. It's a line from a late sixties song I was using to express freedom. Besides, the song says "Take a drink" not multiple. FYI I've been known to leave my car overnight to take a cab or get a ride if I can't walk a straight line after kicking my heels up a bit too much. :)

You went on a weekend camp trip. You got away for a few days. I feel one shouldn't take tech or the Inet with, otherwise it isn't "getting away" is it? The only mobile device I take is my Droid phone of which I only take calls or texts from my kids or family. Sometimes I read the news. That's it.

I remember once going camping at a campground that had electrical hookups. It's convenient to charge phones, for an air compressor for swimming float gear, tire tubes, etc. So there we were sitting around a fire having coffee in our chairs with our tents pitched. Along comes a huge self-contained camper that pulls into a spot a few spaces down. Out comes the self-leveling jacks. Up goes the camper. Out slide the side bunks. Up pops a satellite dish and aims. I commented to my kids "Wow! That's really getting away isn't it?!!" Some people know how to live, eh?!?

I think eventually the desktop will go away after this transition to Modern/Metro interface is complete. I think MS will develop a new multipane "desktop" that will satisfy the power users. I know they need to do something to satisfy that. I never stated that they didn't. Just my prediction. We are all looking forward with anticipation of what Blue is. For now it is what it is. Like it or not.

Lame comeback? Lol! It seems whatever we state is lame to you and others. I'm/we state whatever we see, be it good, bad, or indifferent to whomever. All I'll state is that I think there are better channels to go through if one is not satisfied with any of MS's products. Complaining on a forum dedicated to 8 doesn't make any sense to me. One may as well toss dust to the wind.

Microsoft Customer and Partner Experience

If it loads like 8, looks like 8, runs like 8, then it must be 8. It's not 7 or previous, nor is it meant to be. It's 8. It's, well, grrrrr8!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
There's a pretty simple solution here.

If the "desktop is dying and/or dead" (which is total crap) and it would've been so much better to release Windows 8 without it, then I'd have to ask...why are you using it on a desktop? Unplug your towers, buy yourself a Surface - and leave the people that want to use it as a desktop OS to do so. But no, you'd rather keep using your "prehistoric" desktop while trying to convince everyone it's coming to an end. The irony of it all.

According to a thread I went back and forth on with Mystere some months ago - if you're using a desktop for multi display "you're in the minority" anyway. So it really doesn't matter if Metro8 works with multi. And if you really wanted to you could plug your Surface into a 2nd display.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
A new word was added to the English Language "Spaghettification" I think it was.

Yes that's the word... for some pretty bad source code hard to read. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Why would I want to sit behind my PC when I could be outside enjoying nature as well? I am more a part of nature than a machine. I do not desire a machine to control me. I want to control it.

Take a drink. Take a drive. Go out and see what you can find. :)

That said, sitting outside in 35+C heat, freezing winter, howling gale, bucketing rain etc with a tablet is not my idea of fun. Nor is sitting a lounge chair with a 10" tablet trying to do anything more complex than typing in a Google search query, with power cables running underfoot so that you don't run out of power on a Windows tablet.

For those who think the planet is moving away from desktops, or fixed, large screen, computers keep dreaming. Every device that we have today has evolved because it serves a functional and efficient purpose. The desktop wil not go away.

To remove the desktop, Microsoft would have to provide something that exactly mimicked the functionality of the desktop, with multiple windows etc, for one or a dozen screens, and major software companies would have to develop their programs to fit within the resource limited specs of RT.

That's going to be some ask. So if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's very likely that it is a duck (cue for an avid fanboy for a lame comeback).

Lol. Nothing personal, Ray, but sometimes I think you have a way of justifying the means to your own end.

No, I don't drink and drive. It's a line from a late sixties song I was using to express freedom. Besides, the song says "Take a drink" not multiple. FYI I've been known to leave my car overnight to take a cab or get a ride if I can't walk a straight line after kicking my heels up a bit too much. :)

You went on a weekend camp trip. You got away for a few days. I feel one shouldn't take tech or the Inet with, otherwise it isn't "getting away" is it? The only mobile device I take is my Droid phone of which I only take calls or texts from my kids or family. Sometimes I read the news. That's it.

I remember once going camping at a campground that had electrical hookups. It's convenient to charge phones, for an air compressor for swimming float gear, tire tubes, etc. So there we were sitting around a fire having coffee in our chairs with our tents pitched. Along comes a huge self-contained camper that pulls into a spot a few spaces down. Out comes the self-leveling jacks. Up goes the camper. Out slide the side bunks. Up pops a satellite dish and aims. I commented to my kids "Wow! That's really getting away isn't it?!!" Some people know how to live, eh?!?

I think eventually the desktop will go away after this transition to Modern/Metro interface is complete. I think MS will develop a new multipane "desktop" that will satisfy the power users. I know they need to do something to satisfy that. I never stated that they didn't. Just my prediction. We are all looking forward with anticipation of what Blue is. For now it is what it is. Like it or not.

Lame comeback? Lol! It seems whatever we state is lame to you and others. I'm/we state whatever we see, be it good, bad, or indifferent to whomever. All I'll state is that I think there are better channels to go through if one is not satisfied with any of MS's products. Complaining on a forum dedicated to 8 doesn't make any sense to me. One may as well toss dust to the wind.

If it loads like 8, looks like 8, runs like 8, then it must be 8. It's not 7 or previous, nor is it meant to be. It's 8. It's, well, grrrrr8!

There needs to be a sarcasm emoticon for the people not from Oz.

Taking my tablet and other technology camping is actually an integral part of why I have a tablet, it's used as a navigation device, which is far superior to a simple hand held GPS device and allows me to do other things a well. I'm leading a four day trip into the mountains next weekend and the tablet will be my primary navigation device, tracking our progress in real time (I do have paper maps as a backup). It also allows me to record exactly where we have been (if the plans change) for future reference. I can include photos of special sites etc and it provides other functionality as well.

The desktop will not disappear. It simply will not replace large screens and/or multiple monitors, plus the power needed by some for serious activities. There will also always be a need for a proper keyboard for many users. Even if the majority of users are in the corporate world where PCs dominate today. And also, many people want a retreat from the TV etc to do things without distraction. One could go to the toilet with their tablet, but a separate study with a dedicated PC is often much better.

Note also that my post aggregated responses to numerous other posts from this thread, not just comments made by yourself, so don't take the entire post as one directed at you. For example, my reference to lame was to the Apple/Android fanboy who owns cupboards full of them, so that he can bag them mercilessly (when he's not happily using them and showing how great they are).

As a final note, I would have thought it quite logical and reasonable to criticise aspects of Windows 8, on a Windows 8 forum, as surely these types of forums are where Microsoft and others gather continuing data on all aspects of Windows 8 by real users on varied devices. I wonder what the response would be if I joined a trail bike forum and posted about Windows anything? I know in Australia I would be told very, very, politely to please go to a Windows 8 forum.

If criticism of the product was not an acceptable part of this forum, then it should be stated in the forum rules and perhaps the forum should be renamed to something like 'Windows 8 is the bestest ever OS and no complaints will be tolerated' forum. Perhaps those who don't like criticism of Windows 8 in this forum, should approach the appropriate channels and express their dissatisfaction with the forum rules.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
One exists

Here you go Ray8.

Sarcasm. :sarc:

Hover your mouse pointer over the emoticon to trigger a tooltip stating what it represents. :)

Emoticon Sarcasm.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,

Here you go Ray8.

Sarcasm. :sarc:

Hover your mouse pointer over the emoticon to trigger a tooltip stating what it represents. :)

I saw that, but it looked more like a 'hmm?' emoticon. Elsewhere, sarcasm is usually represented by rolling eyes.

Where the emoticon hasn't existed, I've used [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] to clearly identify the intent. I must remember to do the same, it's a lot easier to identify.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

Taking my tablet and other technology camping is actually an integral part of why I have a tablet, it's used as a navigation device, which is far superior to a simple hand held GPS device and allows me to do other things a well. I'm leading a four day trip into the mountains next weekend and the tablet will be my primary navigation device, tracking our progress in real time (I do have paper maps as a backup). It also allows me to record exactly where we have been (if the plans change) for future reference. I can include photos of special sites etc and it provides other functionality as well.

The desktop will not disappear. It simply will not replace large screens and/or multiple monitors, plus the power needed by some for serious activities. There will also always be a need for a proper keyboard for many users. Even if the majority of users are in the corporate world where PCs dominate today. And also, many people want a retreat from the TV etc to do things without distraction. One could go to the toilet with their tablet, but a separate study with a dedicated PC is often much better.

Note also that my post aggregated responses to numerous other posts from this thread, not just comments made by yourself, so don't take the entire post as one directed at you. For example, my reference to lame was to the Apple/Android fanboy who owns cupboards full of them, so that he can bag them mercilessly (when he's not happily using them and showing how great they are).

As a final note, I would have thought it quite logical and reasonable to criticise aspects of Windows 8, on a Windows 8 forum, as surely these types of forums are where Microsoft and others gather continuing data on all aspects of Windows 8 by real users on varied devices. I wonder what the response would be if I joined a trail bike forum and posted about Windows anything? I know in Australia I would be told very, very, politely to please go to a Windows 8 forum.

If criticism of the product was not an acceptable part of this forum, then it should be stated in the forum rules and perhaps the forum should be renamed to something like 'Windows 8 is the bestest ever OS and no complaints will be tolerated' forum. Perhaps those who don't like criticism of Windows 8 in this forum, should approach the appropriate channels and express their dissatisfaction with the forum rules.

I was going to ask what size your tent is? Then I noticed you forgot to take your tent. But I realize, you didn't forget it, you just cannot carry a tent when your arms are full of technology on your camping trip escape!:sarc:

If I was taking all that technology on a camping trip, I'd pitch my tent in the backyard and set a tv up. Tune the tv to Animal Planet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
I was going to ask what size your tent is? Then I noticed you forgot to take your tent. But I realize, you didn't forget it, you just cannot carry a tent when your arms are full of technology on your camping trip escape!:sarc:

If I was taking all that technology on a camping trip, I'd pitch my tent in the backyard and set a tv up. Tune the tv to Animal Planet.

When it's a family camping trip, we take our camper trailer that has all the mod cons to keep SWMBO happy (but no TV). When I go out with the boys, I'm fully self-sufficient with everything contained inside my 4WD. I use technology when it's suitable, not because I need to have everything under the sun.

I use a 12V car fridge, because it's far more effective and efficient at keeping food and drink cold than an esky. I use a chainsaw because it's far more effective and efficient than a bow saw or axe. I use a petrol cooker for cooking, as it's far more efficient and effective than a wood fire. I use a UHF radio, as it's far more effective and efficient than stopping and getting out of the vehicle for communicating. I use a Windows tablet for navigation, as it's far more effective and efficient for off-road navigation than a paper map. I use a 4WD because I can't be stuffed trying to walk across the mountains.

Technology does have it's advantages, but each to their own.

My Computer

System One

• OS

When it's a family camping trip, we take our camper trailer that has all the mod cons to keep SWMBO happy (but no TV). When I go out with the boys, I'm fully self-sufficient with everything contained inside my 4WD. I use technology when it's suitable, not because I need to have everything under the sun.

I use a 12V car fridge, because it's far more effective and efficient at keeping food and drink cold than an esky. I use a chainsaw because it's far more effective and efficient than a bow saw or axe. I use a petrol cooker for cooking, as it's far more efficient and effective than a wood fire. I use a UHF radio, as it's far more effective and efficient than stopping and getting out of the vehicle for communicating. I use a Windows tablet for navigation, as it's far more effective and efficient for off-road navigation than a paper map. I use a 4WD because I can't be stuffed trying to walk across the mountains.

Technology does have it's advantages, but each to their own.

For the most part I was being sarcastic. But really, to me it sounds like you're taking your office equipment for overtime in the woods. :think:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
I gathered that, but I wanted to explain that there is value in having technology available, even for simple things like camping. With the bushfires we have been experiencing recently and protracted heatwaves, having the occasional ability to connect to the internet and check for warnings etc is a handy thing.

It also highlights some of the difference between the various technologies. Many Android and iPods have 3G/4G connectivity built-in, but devices like the Surface Pro do not. My Gigabyte has that capability, but the reception is woeful, so I default to my mobile phone which has excellent 3G/4G connectivity (I simply tether the Gigabyte).

Many tablets don't have GPS built-in either, which can be a very handy option for the traveller. My Gigabyte has that capability, but I can't get an antenna that will give me the right signal, so I use a Bluetooth GPS. I can also connect an external GPS that's permanently attached to the 4WD, but the latest Bluetooth is better.

My Gigabyte Windows tablet has many advantages over the Apple/Android products, but it's not necessarily better than the latter devices, nor would the Surface Pro be any better. It's horses for courses. But as a Windows tablet user, I know what I can get from the device and would not go to Apple/Android while Windows is practical to use. Windows 8 is not practical nor pleasant to use for me, so Windows 7 is the default program for the moment.

In many respects, whether it's Windows 7 or 8, it's what the tablets can provide in degrees of versatility that I consider important. In this respect, both Windows 8 and the Surface Pro (as well as a number of other tablet manufacturers), have reduced the options, rather than expanded on those options.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I know what you're saying. I just felt compelled to pull your chain a little bit.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
I know what you're saying. I just felt compelled to pull your chain a little bit.

Be careful, if I've made one of my famous curries and enjoyed several beers afterwards, don't stand too close when you yank that chain.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Oh? You must have a special talent. It makes my head spin just reading about it. Good luck to you! :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
No. Just. No.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 (OEM)
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3630QM @2.4Ghz
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender (Microsoft Security Essentials)
hey come on, live and let live, we are all individuals

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    pc specialist made to order
    CPU
    Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4790 (3.6GHz) 8MB Cache
    Motherboard
    ASUS® H81M-PLUS: Micro-ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
    Memory
    16GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 750 Ti - DVI, mHDMI, VGA - 3D Vision Ready
    Sound Card
    ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    iiyama 24 inch flat screen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    1TB 3.5" SEAGATE SSHD, SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM (64MB + 8GB SSD CACHE)

2TB Seagate SATA HDD

500Gb SATA docked
    Case
    In Win Turbo
    Cooling
    Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
    Keyboard
    microsoft mutlimedia keyboard
    Mouse
    logitech corded
    Internet Speed
    152mb