Touchpad Edge Swipes - Enable or Disable in Windows 8

How to Enable or Disable Touchpad Edge Swipes in Windows 8 and 8.1

information   Information
Edge swipes allows you use a one-finger movement from the edge of the touchpad or trackpad in towards the center to quickly open the Charms bar, app Switcher, and Application bar.

However, when edge swipes is enabled, you find that it may cause an issue of opening them by mistake to easily as you use the touchpad or trackpad. This can get real annoying soon.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the edge swipes on a touchpad or trackpad device for opening the Charms bar, app Switcher, and Application bar in Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows 8.1, and Windows RT 8.1.

Tip   Tip
Edge Swipe usage when enabled:

• A swipe from the left edge to the center switches from the currently open application to the previously open application.
  • A swipe from the right edge to the center opens or closes the Charms bar.
  • A swipe from the the top edge to the center opens or closes the Application bar.

Note   Note
Your actual settings will vary depending on the brand and model of touchpad and what driver version you have installed.

Please feel free to post screenshots of your settings if different than the ones in the tutorial to help others.

CONTENTS:

• Option One: To Enable or Disable Edge Swipes for Synaptics Touchpad
  • Option Two: To Enable or Disable Edge Swipes for Lenovo UltraNav Touchpad
  • Option Three: To Enable or Disable Edge Swipes for Alps Touchpad
  • Option Four: Enable or Disable "Precision Touchpad" Edge Swipes in Windows 8.1

OPTION ONE

To Enable or Disable Edge Swipes for Synaptics Touchpad

NOTE: For the latest Synaptics touchpad drivers, see: Drivers | Synaptics

Method One

Enable or Disable Synaptics Touchpad Edge Swipes in Properties

1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Mouse icon.​
2. In Mouse Properties, click/tap on the Device Settings tab, and click/tap on the Settings button. (see screenshot below)​
TouchPad_Edge_Swipes-1.jpg

3. Check (enable) or uncheck (disable) the Enable Edge Swipes option, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)​
TouchPad_Edge_Swipes-2.jpg

4. Click/tap OK in Mouse Properties. (see screenshot below step 2)​

Method Two

Enable or Disable Synaptics Touchpad Edge Swipes using a REG File

1. Do step 2 or 3 below for what you would like to do.​
2. Enable Edge Swipes for Synaptics Touchpad
NOTE: This is the default setting.​
A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.​
Enable_Synaptics_Edge_Swipes.reg
download

3. Disable Edge Swipes for Synaptics Touchpad
A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.​
Disable_Synaptics_Edge_Swipes.reg
download

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.​
5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.​
6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.​
7. Sign out and in, or restart the PC to apply.​
8. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.​

OPTION TWO

To Enable or Disable Edge Swipes for Lenovo UltraNav Touchpad

2. In Mouse Properties, click/tap on the UltraNav tab, and click/tap on the Settings button under Touchpad. (see screenshot below)​
lenovo-z580-mouse-properties.png

3. Check (enable) or uncheck (disable) the Enable Edge Swipes option, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)​
lenovo-z580-touchpad-properties.png

4. Click/tap OK in Mouse Properties. (see screenshot below step 2)​

OPTION THREE

To Enable or Disable Edge Swipes for Alps Touchpad

2. In Mouse Properties, click/tap on the EdgeAction tab, check (enable) or uncheck (disable) any left, top left, right, and top EdgeActions options you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)​
ALPS_EdgeAction.png

OPTION FOUR

Enable or Disable "Precision Touchpad" Edge Swipes in Windows 8.1

Note   Note
This option is only available on Windows 8.1 PCs that have a precision touchpad. For example, on a Surface Pro 2 tablet with a touch cover attached.

The Windows Precision Touchpad is a new class of input devices that provide high precision pointer input and gesture functionality. By default, these devices generate ultra-high precision scroll wheel messages for desktop application consumption.

Method One

Enable or Disable Precision Touchpad Edge Swipes in PC Settings

1. Open PC Settings, and click/tap on PC and devices on the left side. (see screenshot below)​
Touchpad_Edge_Swipes-1.jpg

2. Click/tap on Mouse and touchpad on the left side, and do step 3 or 4 below for what you would like to do. (see screenshot below)​
3. Enable Swiping in from the left or right edge of Precision Touchpad
NOTE: This is the default setting.
A) On the right side under Touch keyboard, move the slider to the right to turn on Play key sounds as I type, and go to step 5 below.​

4. Disable Swiping in from the left or right edge of Precision Touchpad
A) On the right side under Touch keyboard, move the slider to the left to turn off Play key sounds as I type, and go to step 5 below.​

5. When finished, you can close PC settings if you like.​
Touchpad_Edge_Swipes-B.jpg

Method Two

Enable or Disable Precision Touchpad Edge Swipes using a REG File

Note   Note
The .reg files below are for the registry key and value below.

Note   Note

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PrecisionTouchPad​
EnableEdgy DWORD​
0 = Disable edge swipes​
ffffffff = Enable edge swipes​

1. Do step 2 or 3 below for what you would like to do.​
2. Enable Swiping in from the left or right edge of Precision Touchpad
NOTE: This is the default setting.​
Enable_Edge_Swiping_Precision_Touchpad.reg
download

3. Disable Swiping in from the left or right edge of Precision Touchpad
Disable_Edge_Swiping_Precision_Touchpad.reg
download

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.​
5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.​
6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.​
7. Sign out and in, or restart the PC to apply.​
8. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.​

That's it,
Shawn

Attachments

• Disable_Edge_Swiping_Precision_Touchpad.reg
    654 bytes · Views: 6,403
  • Enable_Edge_Swiping_Precision_Touchpad.reg
    654 bytes · Views: 4,346
  • Disable_Synaptics_Edge_Swipes.reg
    698 bytes · Views: 6,922
  • Enable_Synaptics_Edge_Swipes.reg
    1.4 KB · Views: 4,718
  • Pen_and_Touch_Flicks.png
    Pen_and_Touch_Flicks.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 443
Last edited by a moderator:
If you have not already, see if installing the latest touchpad driver from your laptop manufactures download page below may give you the options to disable edge swipes afterwards.

mySN.de | SCHENKER XMG | Schenker Technologies

site.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    OCZ Series Gold OCZZ1000M 1000W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Malwarebyte Anti-Malware Premium
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
I had already tried those before installing the more recent generic drivers, but thanks...

For whatever reason, my touchpad driver supports edge swipes but the configuration utility lacks the option to modify them in any way.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
Thanks again, but I've already managed to disable those. I don't find either the switcher or the charms inherently annoying, it's just the damn edge swipes. I'm used to starting at the edge of the touch pad if I want the cursor to travel further in one movement and so the charms bar keeps popping out when it's not wanted.

EDIT: Breakthrough! Despite being newer, Windows was actually choosing to ignore the updated drivers. It wasn't until I completely uninstalled the old drivers and then absolutely insisted that Windows install the new ones (as in "have disk") that it picked up on them but I'm happy to say that the newer drivers do in fact have an updated control panel with the option to disable edge swipes. This would probably fix the problem for the earlier poster who was also having problems with a V7.2 touchpad.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Hello all,
Somehow, when installing the latest Synaptic Touchpad driver (17.0.19) this wouldn't install properly on W8 64 bit. I had comments that neither would do for W7. So, this is what I've done to make it work. Hope it works for you all:

1- Be sure to start from a status where the previous Synaptic driver has been completely removed (i.e. from Add/Remove Programs). It's likely that as a result of this step you're asked to reboot. Do it;
2- Go to Device Manager and check that you should now have a generic mouse driver installed, under Mice and other pointing devices. This is added by Windows, at startup, because it detects that effectively there is a new device;
3- Now that everything is set, following the recommendations found in this forum, do an advanced reboot, selecting Troubleshoot, and option F7 (temporarily disabling driver signature requirement for new drivers);
4- Install the latest Touchpad driver, which should now install properly. Select "Install anyway" when requested. Do not reboot, since this will not do anything to help. You should note that actually there is nothing new for now;
5- Go to Device Manager and check that you still have a generic mouse driver installed, under Mice and other pointing devices. Even though the new driver software is installed, it's simply not yet in place. Click on properties and select update driver;
6- Select "Browse my computer for driver software";
7- Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer";
6- Uncheck "Show compatible devices";
7- Select Synaptics as manufacturer and the driver on the right panel. Obviously it gives you the message "This driver is not digitally signed!". Just ignore it. Click on Next;
8- Once finished this process, reboot normally;

DONE! Now this driver allows the user to disable the option "Edge Swipes", enjoy...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Phew - what a relief - that edge swipe was driving me MAD! Thanks for the tip!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Toshiba Satellite
    CPU
    Intel Inside
Thank you so much! Made an account here just to tell you thanks. I was getting sick of not being able to do what I wanted. Maybe the swiping thing would be good for a tablet, but a laptop, no.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
As long as MS continues to make huge steps backwards with every new OS, the forums will be busy sharing fixes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Samsung NP510R5E-A01UB
    CPU
    INTEL CORE i5-3230M
    Memory
    6 GB
    Browser
    IE, Firefox
    Antivirus
    AVG free
After searching forum after forum, post after post, trying all recommendations, I decided, "What the heck, I'll take a risk..."

I am using an MSI GT70, and nothing I tried was able to disable the charms swipe. Mouse options did not have the edge pull actons tab, registry edits changing the value to 000000 did not work, and uninstalling the driver suite was my only way to remove the edge swipe charms.
So in my desperation, I deleted the entire "Edge pull" registry tree from both HK_Current_User and HK_Local_Machine

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull

I am not saying that this is required, or even necessarily wise, but this was my action and so far has proven successful. I do not see the charms bar unless I use the Win+C command. I hope someone else may be able to solve this headache through my findings. As always, back up your registry.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MSI GT70
    CPU
    Intel i7
    Memory
    12gb DDR3l
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GTX 870m
    Browser
    Firefox/Chrome
I tried EVERYTHING on the web.

Eventually what I did was I began deleting entire registry folders until the right edge swipe stopped.

Only once I deleted the entire folder below did it stop.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh

Deleting
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics had no effect on right edge swipe....

Like IcewindZG has said, doing this is probably not necessary but it is sufficient. Even after deleting so much, my touchpad seems to work fine, however the only features I use are the one and two finger scrolling.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Thank you for pointing out the touch pads swipe option I wasn't even aware it had a swipe feature as I use a mouse so could not disable it on my wife's laptop and she uses the pad. But this resolved the charms bar issue as it was merely the pads edge swipe feature pulling it up now it is disabled for good!!

Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
Hi,
I registered to thank IcewindZG and SCVLife. All my attempts, after I had spent about three hours scouring the Web for an answer, to get rid of the charms bar (right hand swipe) failed and I'm a seasoned software engineer, PhD in computer science, and now fully anti-Microsoft. Nothing worked, not even setting registry values to 0, not even the PC settings (since they are not visible on my laptop).

I finally succeeded by deleting these folders in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull Extended Zone

Note that:
  • I've had to restart the system after deleting each folder
  • after a certain number of restarts, the right edge swipe that used to bring up the Charms bar no longer brings it up
  • I didn't need to delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\TouchPadPS2\Right Edge Pull
  • after the Charms bar fails to show up, the only folder in the registry that contains "Right Pull" is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTPEnh\ZoneConfig\Defaults" (note the trailing 'Defaults')

NOTE: @freedoomer gave a means of installing the latest (to this date, 2014-12-30) Synaptics standard driver (v17.0.19). Beware that Syaptics has failed to sign this driver, which is the reason why it doesn't successfully install and you have to disable driver signature verification, as freedoomer suggests. The consequence is that you won't later be able to change any settings of the touchpad. If you happen to not like the inverted scrolling direction à la Mac OS X, too bad for you. The latest correctly signed version is v17.0.6 and it's the version I'm using but it doesn't have the Disable Mouse Gestures option. I can't seem to remember where I got it from. The flawed Synaptics driver has been around since 2013-10-17 (14 months now) so we can only hope that the next release will be available soon and they won't forget to sign it correctly ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell XPS L702X
    Antivirus
    Avira Antivir
:thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
1- Be sure to start from a status where the previous Synaptic driver has been completely removed (i.e. from Add/Remove Programs). It's likely that as a result of this step you're asked to reboot. Do it;
2- Go to Device Manager and check that you should now have a generic mouse driver installed, under Mice and other pointing devices. This is added by Windows, at startup, because it detects that effectively there is a new device;
3- Now that everything is set, following the recommendations found in this forum, do an advanced reboot, selecting Troubleshoot, and option F7 (temporarily disabling driver signature requirement for new drivers);
4- Install the latest Touchpad driver, which should now install properly. Select "Install anyway" when requested. Do not reboot, since this will not do anything to help. You should note that actually there is nothing new for now;
5- Go to Device Manager and check that you still have a generic mouse driver installed, under Mice and other pointing devices. Even though the new driver software is installed, it's simply not yet in place. Click on properties and select update driver;
6- Select "Browse my computer for driver software";
7- Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer";
6- Uncheck "Show compatible devices";
7- Select Synaptics as manufacturer and the driver on the right panel. Obviously it gives you the message "This driver is not digitally signed!". Just ignore it. Click on Next;
8- Once finished this process, reboot normally;

Thanks so much to Freedoomer for a beautiful set of instructions. I've just restarted my laptop about 15 times but I finally stopped the Charms from popping up all the time and interrupting full screen games. I actually couldn't use my laptop while drunk anymore because Charms kept taking me to Start menu too often.
I had v 17.0.9 of the Synaptics driver and Windows 8 refused to update to v 17.0.19 until I removed and uninstalled the old version and used all of Freedoomer's steps to make W8 accept the unsigned driver. Now to go ask Synaptics why after two years they still haven't fixed the certificate on their driver.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    PC Specialists
    CPU
    i7 2.30GHz
    Memory
    8GB
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast!
Oh, and unlike Voodoo Priest I found that I could change the settings to turn off inverted scrolling at the same time as I turned off edge swiping.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    PC Specialists
    CPU
    i7 2.30GHz
    Memory
    8GB
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast!
Hi all. I've registered after trying all methods here explained to tell you that the only way I've found to get rid of the *** charm bar on the edge of the touchpad is this: IMG_20150610_202541.jpg

It works!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Hehe ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,