The world is not flat: Apple unveils 'fresh, light' iOS 7

Maybe it so you can put Ubuntu on as well. It both free and gratis. Then you have a complete pc.

I don't know if Lenovo have enabled that yet - but they may.

I thought Lenovo were every 8 fanboys dream oem - or is that only when they are selling 8?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Maybe it so you can put Ubuntu on as well. It both free and gratis. Then you have a complete pc.

I thought Lenovo were every 8 fanboys dream oem - or is that only when they are selling 8?

Why would ANYONE need to be installing different platforms, on a PHONE, to begin with? What, to say you can run three variants of android on it? There is no logical need for that. And even then, if Ubuntu were installed on such a device, what are you going to do with it then? Install Windows 8 in a VM just to run the basics? Geez...

And then, why would Lenovo be a Microsoft fanboy's dream? I honestly could care a flying pack of cigarettes less about what they do with android. I am an ASUS fan, but I can't care a flying pack of carnival rats about what they do with android phablets, only when they start putting android on a PC that runs 2/3 Windows 8, and when it would REALLY shine, they put android on the tablet third. That is stupid. If it doesn't pertain to Microsoft, it just doesn't matter. It's the same as if it were reverse and this were android OEMs and the question being asked if this OEM is only favorable when they make a few Windows devices over android.

Also, I should mention, the FACT that an article about ios 7 being posted in a Windows 8 NEWS forum says a lot. More like, "This is basically something that Microsoft started before apple, and therefore the world will follow apple and Microsoft will command." Interesting.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

No they sell you what you want.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
ios 7 even used Bing search for Siri! Wow, what a ripoff of Windows Phone!

;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Why would anyone need an Intel processor for an android, PHONE.
I asked you a very similar question a while back and you brought up the topic again in this thread. Why would anyone need a 41Megapixel camera in a damn cell phone. Are you going to use it to print out a 800x1000 image to replace the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Install Windows 8 in a VM just to run the basics? Geez...

Of course not - are you out of your mind?

Vast numbers of people have no need/want for windows at all on their consumer devices. Another crucial point you seem incapable of grasping.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Same reason people want a fast car. What is the point - the speed limit here is 70mph.

I recall seeing one of the newspapers will be using shots from reporters iphones - no photographers needed. This would be useful for that perhaps.

Why would anyone need an Intel processor for an android, PHONE.
I asked you a very similar question a while back and you brought up the topic again in this thread. Why would anyone need a 41Megapixel camera in a damn cell phone. Are you going to use it to print out a 800x1000 image to replace the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
The question I have is, who did it better?
That's what it always boils down to for me. We aren't going to have multiple OS's and different types of devices and have 100% unique designs. It just doesn't work that way. It's like home theater receivers, we have lots of different makes and models. But they all do the same thing, they play back Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD. All have a volume up and down. All have an on-screen display. At the end of the day, it comes down to the # of inputs, ease of use, cost, asthetics, brand loyalty, etc. I recently upgraded my Harman Kardon with a new Marantz unit. What really sold me was the very simplistic look. The sound quality is awesome and the ability to listen to Pandora and support Apple AirPlay are both very nice add-ons.http://m.marantz.asia/assets/images/products/SR6007/XL_sr6007_n_b_34.jpg

I recall seeing one of the newspapers will be using shots from reporters iphones - no photographers needed. This would be useful for that perhaps.
Taking great pictures is an artistic eye thing, you either have it or you don't. Next, a great lens makes all of the difference to a person with a trained eye. Having zillions of megapixels just doesn't do much of anything unless you are going to make a larger than life wall mural of your picture. And practically nobody is going to do this.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
I have worked with hundreds of photographers on hundreds of advertising campaigns. I know how they work from an artistic point of view - I don't know any of the technical stuff.

I have no idea if the papers would need something that has such good res in low light - maybe they do.

There is also the usual thing of why bother keep improving any device - just because you can , I suppose.

What is the point of having an amplifier at home that can push out several hundred watts? People like to buy them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
From an article off-linked from that page-

Pundits also expect iOS 7 to lose most if not all of its "skeuomorphism," a label for design that, in software, adds elements that make a program resemble a physical object. Famous examples in iOS and OS X include Calendar, which looks like a paper desk calendar, iBooks and its wood-grained shelves, and Notes, which mimics a lined notepad.

Usability, not 'flat' design, key to Monday's iOS refresh - Computerworld

So, well then, THAT guy can go work for Windows 8, he is basically saying that Although Apple hates Windows "OS" 8, he'll STEAL it's BLAND, STARK LOOK. These so called "[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]skeuomorphisms" are what distinguishes those apps in relation to Stark MS apps with similar function.[/FONT]

Why should I not like Apples "Notes" in preference to Microsoft's "Notepad"? Who is this "Ives" CREEP to dictate that we Apple users will have to agree with his thefts of the most DERIDED aspects of Microsoft OS8?

Basically, it are those "skeuomorphisms" that Apple Users LIKE. Screw that guy, kick him back to Microsoft.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
ios 7 even used Bing search for Siri! Wow, what a ripoff of Windows Phone!

;)

Not if I can JAILBREAK iOS7 and Install GOOGIRI! If not, I'll stick with iOS 6.1.2!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
What is the point of having an amplifier at home that can push out several hundred watts? People like to buy them.

Well, it is a receiver as well as an amplifier. I use it with my blu Ray player to get 5.1 or 7.1 sound for my movies. I love to watch movies and having the theater experience at home is far cheaper than going to the movies. I also get 5.1 from Netflix and surround sound from my games. I love to listen to music as well. I'm far more likely to listen to music, than i am to watch tv.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Sigh. Literally my one complaint about Windows 8 was the fact they forced me to get rid of my beautiful Aero glass and replaced it some extremely flat, very plain look. Flat shapes. Squares mostly. So.. what does Apple go and do? Gets rid of THEIR very detailed, graphical and elegant look and replace it with-- guess what-- MORE FLAT colors and shapes. Oh, but they have gradients.

I always hated gradients when used this way though. The same kinda gradients that's normally used in very amateurish looking UI skins or apps (a lot of the windows 8 third party apps do this too, drives me nuts). What I'm talking about is when you take a simple shape, and just floodfill a standard gradient. That's it. No contour shadowing or highlights, nothing dynamic, nothing even remotely trying to render any sort of depth. Just a gradient. Apple got rid of all the polish and is trying to copy the very move that MS made that I hated. Sure, it's colorful, but the colors used don't even work real well together and it just looks like a gradiented rainbow nightmare. There's no longer any consistency or order, just flat gradiented color chaos.

I'm completely against this trend where 'everything is flat'. I hate flat. I never wanted flat. I want my aero glass and well shaded and glossy artwork. Flat is just being lazy. Anyone can make a UI out of flood-filled rectangles and circles. A 5 year old in mspaint could do that. That's not how sloppy I want my UIs looking on every damn device I come across. I want back my elegance, but it looks like elegance is gone forever, replaced by flat flat flat. :( As a windows 8 user, I'm STILL waiting for a way to bring my Aero glass back (without some broken or annoying nagging software that attempts at doing so).

Now, I didn't mention Android. I personally never found Android's UI to be particularly good looking, especially since everything (especially the iconography) seemed completely inconsistent and rushed. However, even among Android devices there's an awful lot of flat showing up. Especially on the manufacturer-specific homescreen replacements, like htc sense and samsung touchwiz. Somehow, though, they manage to make it look nicer than either the Apple iOS7 or "Modern" MS offerings.

I want pretty UIs, it's a shame that I'm no longer ever going to be able to enjoy this preference anymore unless I go back to using older operating software. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit, Ubuntu 13.04 64-Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 950 @ 3ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus Sabertooth X58
    Memory
    Crucial 6GB DDR3 1066mhz Triple Channel
    Graphics Card(s)
    1GB EVGA GTX 460 SE (Nvidia)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual LG Monitors
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080, 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    80GB Intel 320 Series SSD
    640GB WD Caviar Blue
    320GB WD MyBook (converted to Internal SATA)
    1TB Seagate Barracuda
    PSU
    Corsair 650TX 650w
    Case
    CoolerMaster HAF 922
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110
    Mouse
    Logitech G500
    Internet Speed
    20mbps Down, 2mbps Up
I would rather user friendly UI that is clear and consice while being responsive and efficent for the purpose. I couldn't care less if it had glitter all over it too look better or not.

However, Windows 8 missed the mark still with metro for PCs and non touch laptops.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1 pro with media pack
    Computer type
    Laptop
    CPU
    i7 820
    Memory
    8 GBS
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD Radeon 5830
    Screen Resolution
    1080p 15.6 inch
    Internet Speed
    DSL2
    Browser
    Firefox and Chrome
    Antivirus
    Avast and Malwarebytes
Looks like the analysts were right after all, Apple is no longer able to innovate. I never liked iOS but I was expecting some sort of evolution of the software not using WP styling or WebOS features.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
I would rather user friendly UI that is clear and consice while being responsive and efficent for the purpose. I couldn't care less if it had glitter all over it too look better or not.

However, Windows 8 missed the mark still with metro for PCs and non touch laptops.

Comments like this always suggest that people believe that a UI has to be ugly, plain, and square in order to be functional or responsive. I thought Windows 7 managed to pull off both while still looking good. Yet people seem to think, oh no you have to make it look like Windows 95 or some other ugly flat square appearance in order for it to be functional.

Why? Why does it have to be ugly in order for it to also be functional and responsive for some people?

It doesn't have to be one or the other, why can't we just have both? I still wish Windows 8 gave me the option to have it look like Aero glass. But no, they took it away from me. Just like those people who went apple, went for a simplistic interface that also looked elegant and realistic. Woops, Apple is gonna take half of that equation away from those people too. Taking away the pretty leaving only the function, when at least half of us in this world like the pretty too! =|

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 950 @ 3ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus Sabertooth X58
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual LG Monitors
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080, 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    640GB WD Caviar Blue
    1TB Seagate Barracuda
    PSU
    Corsair 650TX 650w
    Case
    CoolerMaster HAF 922
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110
    Mouse
    Logitech G500
    Internet Speed
    20mbps Down, 2mbps Up
Taking great pictures is an artistic eye thing, you either have it or you don't. Next, a great lens makes all of the difference to a person with a trained eye. Having zillions of megapixels just doesn't do much of anything unless you are going to make a larger than life wall mural of your picture. And practically nobody is going to do this.

Going off track for a moment...

As s photographer using a 36.3 mega pixel DSLR camera I can tell you it's not necessarily about printing larger than life prints but also about editing/cropping the image without losing image quality.

Yeah, lower pixel cameras will do you well, but with larger mega pixel cameras, you just have more options during post processing/editing/cropping phase.

Sorry for the interruption.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 (BIOS F9)
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gig (1866MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i Closed Loop Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    RAM Speed: 1866MHZ @ 9-10-10-27-2T, 1.5v

Going off track for a moment...

As s photographer using a 36.3 mega pixel DSLR camera I can tell you it's not necessarily about printing larger than life prints but also about editing/cropping the image without losing image quality.

Yeah, lower pixel cameras will do you well, but with larger mega pixel cameras, you just have more options during post processing/editing/cropping phase.

Sorry for the interruption.

First and foremost, the quality of your sensor and lens makes the best difference. I think this is HTC's thinking with the HTC one only having a 4 megapixel camera. However, what you say is true. It's not all about the printing size, it's about having immense detail to crop from when using it for a variety of purposes, including creating high resolution desktop wallpapers or whatever. My DSLR (Canon Rebel XS, or what the europeans call the 1000D) is only 10 megapixels, and there's times where I wish I had more megapixels for that crop job, which makes or breaks me making a 1080p wallpaper out of a photo.

I just hate that I no longer have aero glass borders to go so wonderfully with my own photo wallpapers now. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 950 @ 3ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus Sabertooth X58
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual LG Monitors
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080, 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    640GB WD Caviar Blue
    1TB Seagate Barracuda
    PSU
    Corsair 650TX 650w
    Case
    CoolerMaster HAF 922
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110
    Mouse
    Logitech G500
    Internet Speed
    20mbps Down, 2mbps Up

It's like max speed for a car. A car that can do 190mph is built differently than the grocery getter that might top out at 115mph. You likely will never use them at that speed, but the handling and drive quality is different between the two at cruise speed.

I've read a lot about having more power than you need to drive speakers. Having a low wattage amp and cranking up the output to barely be able to drive speakers is bad for the speakers and sound quality. Having a high power (true high power, not peak high power) and keeping it at mid output levels should result in better quality sound.

+1 for Marantz. I've had mine for a few years now and I love it. Home Blu-Ray and True-HD or DTS Master are as good as going to the movie theaters. http://us.marantz.com/DocumentMaster/US/SR7002_finalb_sm.pdf

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Pssh. Who buys prebuilts?
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2600k 3.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Asus 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    OCZ SSD boot drive. Spinny secondary drive.
    Case
    Diablotek
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Toureny edition.
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50 down 10 up
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. AV is for noobs.
    Other Info
    I like Macs.
That was a rhetorical question.

It was in response to pparks earlier:

pparks

Why would anyone need a 41Megapixel camera in a damn cell phone. Are you going to use it to print out a 800x1000 image to replace the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back