The Non-Touch Windows 8 Offers a Worse Experience than Win

March 15th, 2013, 17:52 GMT · By Bogdan Popa
[h=1]The Non-Touch Windows 8 Offers a Worse Experience than Windows 7, Says Analyst[/h]
Win 7 Non-Touchscreen-GUI.jpg

Windows 8, Microsoft’s latest bet in the operating system world, comes with great touch-optimized features, most of which are also available in the RT version supposed to be deployed on tablets.

While it’s also developed to serve as a major upgrade over Windows 7, the new operating system doesn’t make much sense on a computer that doesn’t feature a touchscreen display, Forrester senior analyst David Johnson said in an interview with InformationWeek.

Many Windows 8 PC buyers are actually asking retailers to downgrade to Windows 7, even though their newly purchased unit comes with a touchscreen unit but, in most cases, keeping the new software without such a display is a waste of time.

see full report

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I think I said that there were also positive comments. But not too many.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
You have to love it! whs The customers in the real world are dissatisfied with what they are finding! And it only further shows just why those industry pros are shaking their heads at MS pulled off with 8 asking "why make a gui unsuitable for the desktop?". And that's to be taken so lightly when it isn't just Fruit company execs but SUN and others holding back a good chuckle at the MS goober!

When I was mentioning how it was for some reason taking 8 far longer to install then previous versions all this was done on the exact same hardwares using the same methods. I was finding that out with the CP and RP installs on both physical drive as well as on VBox and VM Player. The VMs were with iso images being mounted not from dvd or flash drives there! The last RP install on VM finished an hour later when looking at the clock to see how much time had actually passed. I suspect the new hardware detection process is part of the lengthy time since each time that would sit there and sit there and sit there until finally the initial restart would then see the new Lock screen appear for the first time.

As for click the desktop button constantly that was the first Big annoyance everyone was looking for a workaround or way to disable the Start screen right from the CP on! You know that yourself SIW when asking if I had found a way having gone over the registry a few times looking for that one key to knock out and not finding it.

So far everyone I know of that has gone out and bought a new 8 laptop has looked for something else soon afterwards! When a friend asked about seeing 7 replace 8 on one model someone else dumped on him for a few hundred less then that person shelled out he had to be told if the model was totally new and that model series never saw any previous 7 or Vista preinstall the support site wouldn't have the Vista or 7 drivers for it. I installed Classic Shell on it for the time being so he could find his way around in order to use while his main case(Vista followed by XP due to drive fail) is presently down for the count! :(

Most people simply want any new version to perform in much the same manner as the previous versions did not finding themselves baffled by an extravagant gui change that MS pulled off. The feedback whs posted there is precisely what other vendors are seeing as well.

As for bringing in touchscreen support 7 already has that! After seeing a working formula however MS rather then follow 7's success story and actually working on a "Desktop" not tablet touch and swipe gui where point and click was still as easy as the traditional desktop they focused on the Google and the whoevers getting all of the mobile market and presented Surface. But with all this work in the meantime on the next desktop version's core improvements one thing was lacking. No one worked up a new Aero replacement or any desktop touch and swipe. So now what? "Oh we'll just slap the RT Surface gui on 8 and call it a day! So what if they don't like it! We still have 7 to sell!" with one blog writer commenting about the possible "Re-release" of 7! I wonder why?!

Speaking of "feedback" here's a few more from newegg customers when clicking on the Feedback tab on the product page for each tem. This is from the Microsoft Windows 8 32-bit (Full Version) - OEM

"junk
Pros: I don't have it installed on my computer any more!
Cons: It keeps popping up when I search for windows 7 for my new build.

Other Thoughts: The operating system should stay out of the way and let me run my programs in peace. Windows 8 is anything but out of the way. It is constantly in your face yelling "LOOK AT ME". I looked and I didn't like what I saw, so I got rid of it. '

"Functionality took a backseat to flashiness

Pros: Runs fast
Fairly stable, for Windows
Looks nice
Cons: Everything else
Navigation is horrendous; tiles do NOT make it easier to get to programs.
Lack of a Start button takes forever to get used to and is an overall pain in the rear.
Driver support is hit or miss. Sometimes it seems Windows 8 is on top of things, other times it really drops the ball.

Other Thoughts: Windows 7 is better on every conceivable level when it comes to functionality. Windows 8 may work good on a touchscreen, I don't know, but it's HORRID on a normal desktop. Unless you want a glorified Windows phone OS on your monitor, I beg you to get Windows 7 instead."

"After switching from Windows 7
Pros: None that stand out besides the new background images and the welcome page before the start menu.
Cons: It is a lot harder to find simple files on your computer or even access simple tools like control panel or my computer because you have to navigate to the Windows 8 start menu and search for what you want to bring up if it's not on your live tiles. Pre-installed programs like Skype are annoying because instead of opening another window on your task bar, it becomes full screen and not easy to navigate around. Most of all, Windows 8 does not have a start menu button! Every corner on your screen is a mini tool button that brings you to your start menu with live tiles and that isn't as convenient as the Windows 7 start menu where you can go to all programs to look for things or the search box.

Other Thoughts: The main thing missing from Windows 8 is a Start Menu button. I am not use to the live tiles for Windows 8. It is hard to navigate around to find simple programs. I would still recommend Windows 7 over 8. If you're looking for a simple fix for the Start menu button, try Start8."

"A step in the wrong direction
Pros: Runs pretty smoothly.
Metro interface is pretty cool. Live tiles are neat, but could use improvement.

Cons: Buggy, but it is new.
Widgets (from Win7) have been removed.
No way to keep Start (aka Metro) open permanently.

Other Thoughts: Despite the OK score, this OS is really an abomination and a step in the wrong direction. They're clearly turning towards the mobile demographic, leaving us desktop users wanting. If Windows continues developing operating systems designed for touchscreens with all the unnecessary flashiness, they will lose more users to Linux."

"Unsuitable For Desktops
Pros: It's Microsoft's newest operating system.

Cons: Windows 8 couldn't recognize some software, including the DVD for my Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD3 motherboard. The Windows 8 desktop tiles design was inconvenient for me to use, in comparison to the Windows 7 desktop. I reinstalled Windows 7, hoping Microsoft will provide updates or revisions to make Windows 8 more suitable for desktops.

Other Thoughts: If Windows 7 works well for you on your desktop, I suggest staying with it as long as Microsoft continues to support it. In my opinion, Windows 8 appears to be intended for use mainly on mobile devices. For the OEM version, be sure to understand that it cannot be used on any other computer including if you replace your existing CPU and/or motherboard. "

And 90% of the users find the same thing! Don't look at me! This is actual feedback from the non 8 Fan Club but customers in dismay over what they found out for themselves! Those are just a few from two pages full seen there. A few 8 likers even saying go back to 7 if you don't like change. The real problem from the start has nothing to do with change what type of change is brought about. When it becomes a mess rather then any actual improvement it goes out the window for most!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
Not only /7 had touchscreen, Vista had it too. In 2008 I was looking at a cute 13" HP convertible laptop with touch. If I remember right, it sold for appr. $1150. At the time I did not really think it was for me - nor do I today. On a 7" tablet it is OK, but even there I use a mouse and BT keyboard if I want to do anything that takes longer than a few minutes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I think I said that there were also positive comments. But not too many.
From what I saw, it was a 32 to 31 split from 5 eggs to one egg reviews.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Other Thoughts: Windows 7 is better on every conceivable level when it comes to functionality. Windows 8 may work good on a touchscreen, I don't know, but it's HORRID on a normal desktop. Unless you want a glorified Windows phone OS on your monitor, I beg you to get Windows 7 instead."

Other Thoughts: Despite the OK score, this OS is really an abomination and a step in the wrong direction. They're clearly turning towards the mobile demographic, leaving us desktop users wanting.

This is what I had wanted to ask Chrisa on the post about change!

Why were desktop users dragged into Microsoft's mobile/tablet foray? Were they unsure about the acceptance of their product if it was a pure mobile OS/tablet? :think: ...

I'm late to the party as usual, which happens most of the time, however some of us although a very tiny minority in the grand scheme of things, have no real need for a mobile or tablet based OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7HP x64/7 Ultimate x32
    DIY
    CPU
    i7 920
    Motherboard
    Intel x58
    Memory
    6 x 2GB Corsair XMS3
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4890 CF
    Sound Card
    Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 2408
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    2 x 150GB Velociraptors (RAID 0 ) - OS
    1 x 1TB Seagate (Backup)
    1 x 1.5TB Seagate - Storage
    PSU
    Corsair HX1000
    Case
    Antec 1200
    Cooling
    Stock
    Keyboard
    Razer Lycosa/n52te
    Mouse
    Razer Lachesis
    Internet Speed
    Too damn slow :-(
I'm late to the party as usual, which happens most of the time, however some of us although a very tiny minority in the grand scheme of things, have no real need for a mobile or tablet based OS.
I would think that most people today use some mobile device - but only a minuscule part of the market is and will be a Microsoft flavor. Android and Apple are too well established in that market - and they don't stand still either. Remains to be seen whether MS can make inroads with their Nokia partner.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Well. it might be 50:50 Cokie. But that is awful for a product you are trying to sell.

If there was competition out there - MS would have been crucified.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

Other Thoughts: Despite the OK score, this OS is really an abomination and a step in the wrong direction. They're clearly turning towards the mobile demographic, leaving us desktop users wanting.

Why were desktop users dragged into Microsoft's mobile/tablet foray? Were they unsure about the acceptance of their product if it was a pure mobile OS/tablet? :think: ...

From just one bit of feedback you can sometimes assess the misdirection MS went in trying to promote their new product line! They know 8 is an abomination while at the same time it was intended for one purpose only! "Make Surface and Surface Pro look better then Android!" And that comes at a price of "no matter what" since they are still collecting from 7's success and not worried so much if 8 tanks at all! They'll make up for it with the next to come once Surface is well on the way!

This is what you are seeing happen! MS is promoting "their own" new tablets regardless of what any desktop user thinks! What 8 is proving to be is a "Filler" just to have something out in the interrim between a working 7 and the next version they might actually make better in all ways rather then stripping out the features while supplying an updated core. You get caught between a rock and hard place trying to follow the MS reasoning for trashing their main desktop OS while the market strategy is apparent. PROMOTE AND PUSH SURFACE, SURFACE PRO! WHATEVER IT TAKES!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys

Because it isn't a 'mobile or tablet based OS'. Its a 'touch based OS'. You can still use it with keyboard and mouse just fine, but it really shines once you use touch. The touch thats available atm, just happens to be on mobile and tablet via the Surface tablets. The bigger problem is that Touchscreen monitors lag behind non-touchscreen monitors by a generation. Its like, they get the monitor to work without touch first, and then get it to work with touch.. which ends up making touch pointless because you can always get a bigger screen high res monitor for the same or lower price. And if thats the case, nobody buys the touch. You need to catch people when they're upgrading, and you need to be a step up in size and resolution from what they likely had before.

Its one of the reasons I suggest they actually release one themselves for the runup to windows 9. It needs to be 27-30", 2560x1440 res, with a base that provides good angles and very good design.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile
The Pro is an interesting beast.

We haven't had any reports (yet ) of business buying vast quantities.

It is at the moment a niche with very specific buyers. Nothing wrong with that.

It is the rest - the other 98% ( the figure was for chris) or so that aren't buying at anything like the rate MS would want.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

Because it isn't a 'mobile or tablet based OS'. Its a 'touch based OS'. You can still use it with keyboard and mouse just fine, but it really shines once you use touch. The touch thats available atm, just happens to be on mobile and tablet via the Surface tablets. The bigger problem is that Touchscreen monitors lag behind non-touchscreen monitors by a generation. Its like, they get the monitor to work without touch first, and then get it to work with touch.. which ends up making touch pointless because you can always get a bigger screen high res monitor for the same or lower price. And if thats the case, nobody buys the touch. You need to catch people when they're upgrading, and you need to be a step up in size and resolution from what they likely had before.

Its one of the reasons I suggest they actually release one themselves for the runup to windows 9. It needs to be 27-30", 2560x1440 res, with a base that provides good angles and very good design.

No it isn't just a tablet or mobile gui! But it also isn't just a touch and swipe type gui either. It was developed as a touch and swipe tablet gui they stuck on the desktop editions as well. When you take one look and see giant buttons on a full screen Start screen what does that remind you of? It certainly isn't any desktop gui!

The Start screen looks more like a touchscreen selector for a vending machine! And that's precisely what MS has dumped on the desktop user having stripped out media elements for selling Metro apps separately. The first thing most do right off is dump the preinstalled buttons for apps and fill in those spots with the buttons for the programs they put on 8 just to clean that up!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
LOL. Dump the crapware. I did that - uninstalled the apps and dumped them in the recycle bin where they belong.

The start screen is MS advertising billboard of course.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
That's precisely what that is geared for over seeing a usable desktop interface showing they have put the real effort into Surface and foobar to the desktop user saying: "here some things you can buy!" slapping the long time supporter in the face is what the reaction is for most long time users!

"Hope you don't mind us short changing this version of the desktop OS loyal users. We have a new tablet to get out!" would say the big MS with the thinking the loyal Windows users will simply buy into anything MS places in front of them! Unfortunately only those who have come up through the ranks starting way back in dos, Legacy days can readily see where the failings are right off the bat! We worked our way up from the past gui changes while still looking at a desktop NOT TABLET OS to begin with whether we liked or hated any previous version for some reason like XP's constant "Blues" BSOD Specials from MS not patching things up until SP3 after 7 was out in to the public.

When you first look at the Start screen however you may as well as be looking at any OEMs bloatwares! You know you want to get rid of it ASAP!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
Back