The Non-Touch Windows 8 Offers a Worse Experience than Win

March 15th, 2013, 17:52 GMT · By Bogdan Popa
[h=1]The Non-Touch Windows 8 Offers a Worse Experience than Windows 7, Says Analyst[/h]
Win 7 Non-Touchscreen-GUI.jpg

Windows 8, Microsoft’s latest bet in the operating system world, comes with great touch-optimized features, most of which are also available in the RT version supposed to be deployed on tablets.

While it’s also developed to serve as a major upgrade over Windows 7, the new operating system doesn’t make much sense on a computer that doesn’t feature a touchscreen display, Forrester senior analyst David Johnson said in an interview with InformationWeek.

Many Windows 8 PC buyers are actually asking retailers to downgrade to Windows 7, even though their newly purchased unit comes with a touchscreen unit but, in most cases, keeping the new software without such a display is a waste of time.

see full report

When thinking 8 out MS made the mistake of using a gui designed for a totally different platform rather then investing in developing a new touch and swipe Desktop gui for 8 that works well for the desktop platform and won't require 3rd party workarounds for most people to have made a usable OS for the layman. And it simply isn't just fast blog writers that are downplaying 8 but watch what is being observed by industry professionals who develop guis for the desktops on other OSs as they watch MS fumble the ball..

Your words betray you.

First.. A) Macs are crap, especially with how they deal with touch(or relative lack thereof) and B) what 'industry professionals'? Apple? All their people are off being applied to mobile, watches, and TV's. That company couldn't give two farts about PC's atm, they're viewed in Apple-land as an obsolete system, about to be replaced enmasse by tablets and other mobile devices. How do I know this? They remind us of it.. All. The. Time. And they have their fingers in the ears when we tell them that You. Are. Wrong.

Oh.. and C) 'industry professionals' aren't the ones complaining about how the PC's have been updated for touch. Thats the Apple lovers, and people who don't know any better. From a developer standpoint, the way they interface with touch and pen is a dream to work with.

The only hangup is transitioning people to touchscreen monitors... which is one reason i've highly suggested they simply come out with a high resolution 27-30" touchscreen monitor in the runup to Windows 9. I'd buy one. There simply isn't a 'sweet spot' touchscreen monitor to even consider for Windows atm. I've looked. And if you can't get the manufacturers to make a quality, well-designed product that will make Windows sing(whether from the SP, which allready supports high resolution monitors.. or from a desktop), provide quality angles to situate the monitor at, Microsoft should simply change the game and make it themselves.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile
The search engines have already been out there for looking up anything for any version! Yet that won't be the first thing a typical user anguishes over when getting the first look at any newer version. The average joe wants to sit in front of the new pc and get busy doing things without any need to be Binging or "Googlatorizing" the experience just to get things to work.

The task set before the software company is to simplify the process for the 'newbies of the world" taking that into consider when offering a new product to the greater degree as well as not pushing for the need to load on 3rd party apps due to any drastic gui changes that alter the direction from the same platform.

With any version there will be the "Pros" and "Cons" since a good number of people reverted back from 7 to XP or Vista showing no matter how good a new version some will always find a problem to complain about. With 8 however unlike any previous version everyone is being forced to accept the touch and swipe tablet gui developed for ARM and Surface without "options" to revert to any form of the traditional Desktop! And that's where the 3rd party goers will be cashing in on the MS goober!

Now if you think this is simply "8 Bashing" look again. I never stated any new developments for the core level of 8 were in error. In fact that's where you have to look to see the actual "Pros" being offered. The main problem is on the "Surface" in more then one sense due to a rash decision to make every platform look the exact same at the cost of the standard type desktop gui.

When thinking 8 out MS made the mistake of using a gui designed for a totally different platform rather then investing in developing a new touch and swipe Desktop gui for 8 that works well for the desktop platform and won't require 3rd party workarounds for most people to have made a usable OS for the layman. And it simply isn't just fast blog writers that are downplaying 8 but watch what is being observed by industry professionals who develop guis for the desktops on other OSs as they watch MS fumble the ball..
Regardless of what you say Windows had to change sometime, whether now or in the future, nothing stays the same forever, cars have changed, newspapers have changed, TVs have changed even homes have changed.

Computers are changing they're not just a desktop anymore, they come in all shapes and sizes, the old Windows needed to be overhauled to adapt to new ways of working if some people can't accept that so be it. It might be a tough process but it had to be done.

Hopefully in years to come we'll all laugh at what happened when the change came, in the meantime people are just going to have to accept the transition.

Or Not.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
No one would say MS wouldn't eventually make changes. And no one would say the present form of Start orb and menu seen in Vista and 7 wouldn't see any large change there either. But if you look back at 3.1(Post #28) where no Start button/orb or Programs menu of any type was seen you will still see a common point for a dropdown menu option!

The one thing to know however is that each new change seen in the Desktop OS has worked out for the Desktop platform it was developed for! With 8 however MS pulled a fast one sticking the RT tablet gui on everything for the intent of promoting Surface with Windows RT and ARM devices while short changing things at the desktop level. There's no way to ignore that no matter how hard anyone tries to sugar coat things!

That's where it's at! MS made a marketing decision by substituting what could have been any type of new desktop gui regardless of what changes would have been brought in for a fast swap of the touch and swipe tablet gui on all platforms. This is why many immediately see "Mobile OS" or What in blazes? The industry pros out there are also scratching their heads wondering what MS is actually upto.

The problem here isn't simply the need to go with any 3rd party workaround but MS stripping things out used for WMP as well as some other compatibility issues still being looked into which at this make it unsuitable for a second OS to work along side 7. I could care less about saving a few seconds on startup time since I can still open things right away before 7 finishes loading fully when needed and a few things will open right up not in need of every driver.

The installation time was another item noticed when making comparisons as well. From both USB Install Keys as well as dvd installs it took longer for 8 to finish up then either Vista or XP! 7 on other hand is done in 20 each time while smoother installs by usb! 8 took a full hour for the CP and RP installs compared to the old XP/Vista 50min. not 39min. in actual time. At first you would think 8 was larger then Vista!

The Plus factors on the other hand are things like MS for the first time including something that actually does find and remove malwares! The MS SE for Vista/7 on the other hand as well as the original Windows Defender have proven to be jokes at the comsumer expanse there! despite one being included and the other free to download. In that area you never really get any worth the bother for nothing unfortunately! The form of MS SE is now seen as the new form of WD in 8 there is where MS finally got it right!

Now as for "transition"? I doubt I will be jumping on any tablets soon! I did buy a gift for some last year(smart book with the limited embedded form of 7 on it) and that was a waste of time since you couldn't log into anything with that stripped down form of IE! :rolleyes: If tthe next "Windows Blue" reveals a new desktop strategy on the other hand over simply seeing a tablet gui slapped onto a newer core then you would have something there. It would still need to a "progressive desktop" type of change however as compared to what they did with 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
No one would say MS wouldn't eventually make changes. And no one would say the present form of Start orb and menu seen in Vista and 7 wouldn't see any large change there either. But if you look back at 3.1(Post #28) where no Start button/orb or Programs menu of any type was seen you will still see a common point for a dropdown menu option!

In the tech business, you either Change.. or you get run over by Change. Its been that way since the start of the business. Anybody who even holds up just a little bit to rest on their laurels usually gets run over by the ten guys right behind him. Heck, Microsoft was trying and still found themselves run over in mobile and only now are starting to get a tiny foothold.

Without the changes for touch to Windows 8, Surface Pro does not happen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile
The installation time was another item noticed when making comparisons as well. From both USB Install Keys as well as dvd installs it took longer for 8 to finish up then either Vista or XP! 7 on other hand is done in 20 each time while smoother installs by usb! 8 took a full hour for the CP and RP installs compared to the old XP/Vista 50min. not 39min. in actual time. At first you would think 8 was larger then Vista!

Just for technical fun I just did a clean install and logged all time specs.

First I imaged my system with acronis then I inserted an 8 pro bootable usb stick (flash / thumb drive).
Clean install from usb stick to internal ssd to default start screen.

Timeline: 4:35
set usb to boot (first boot device) in bios
clicked saved to bios and boot

Timeline: 4:36
boot to enter product key

Timeline: 4:37
click next > select custom install > delete all partitions on ssd > click next

Timeline: 4:38
screen display "getting files ready for installation" at 15%

Timeline: 4:39
screen display "getting files ready for installation" at 36%

Timeline: 4:40
screen display "getting files ready for installation" at 70%

Timeline: 4:42
screen display "getting files ready for installation" at 100%

Timeline: 4:43
automatic restart computer > booting > enter bios and change first boot device to ssd

rebooting > enter pc name >
Timeline: 4:44

enter user name
system generating welcome screens
@ default start screen
Timeline: 4:45

Total time for clean installation from a usb stick to an internal ssd to default start screen = 10 minutes :party:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
Fact: W8 offers an experience that most people have shown they want nothing to do with

Fact: W8 is struggling in a big way for sales

Fact: Slower uptake than even Vista

Fact: Start button has not much to do with the whole 8 debacle, loss of choice sure does though

Fact: Who even cares who uses Windows Media Center other than MS

Fact: Sorry bud, you don't get to say what's normal and what's not

Fact: Of course a lot of these people with tablets also have a home PC, imagine that now

Fact: When ya feel the need to include w8 is good with a mouse you might want to figure out how the deep the hole you are in is

Fact: List all the relevant facts you want, outside of OEM machines going off the shelf people are just not interested in w8, most especially at full feature price now.

My way or the highway is a piddle poor way to do business. But hey it's MS's OS, if they want to be less relevant going forward they are off to a bang up start.

Did they actually make any windows 8 phones? still yet to see one in the wild.
Most of your facts are opinions.

And yes, I've personally seen a few Windows Phone 8 handsets out in the wild. But that's irrelevant when FACT, in three months Windows Phone 8 is already 50 percent of Windows Phone market share, something that took 7 two years.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
The search engines have already been out there for looking up anything for any version! Yet that won't be the first thing a typical user anguishes over when getting the first look at any newer version. The average joe wants to sit in front of the new pc and get busy doing things without any need to be Binging or "Googlatorizing" the experience just to get things to work.

The task set before the software company is to simplify the process for the 'newbies of the world" taking that into consider when offering a new product to the greater degree as well as not pushing for the need to load on 3rd party apps due to any drastic gui changes that alter the direction from the same platform.

With any version there will be the "Pros" and "Cons" since a good number of people reverted back from 7 to XP or Vista showing no matter how good a new version some will always find a problem to complain about. With 8 however unlike any previous version everyone is being forced to accept the touch and swipe tablet gui developed for ARM and Surface without "options" to revert to any form of the traditional Desktop! And that's where the 3rd party goers will be cashing in on the MS goober!

Now if you think this is simply "8 Bashing" look again. I never stated any new developments for the core level of 8 were in error. In fact that's where you have to look to see the actual "Pros" being offered. The main problem is on the "Surface" in more then one sense due to a rash decision to make every platform look the exact same at the cost of the standard type desktop gui.

Are that incapacitated to click on a thing that says "Desktop" so much that you need the OS to boot to that first.

I have a question for you and similar others, why are you here being a bother? I get it's your "opinion" and all, but what a vehement waste of time that is to argue something so pointless and mundane.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Avast fre av does a little notification area pop up every now and again - tells you it has updated and sometimes asks if you want to get one their other products.

If that came up covering the entire screen every time you booted up - and at frequent other intervals - it would be pretty annoying.

Why? It is just one click to get past it.

Do you get it now?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Avast fre av does a little notification area pop up every now and again - tells you it has updated and sometimes asks if you want to get one their other products.

If that came up covering the entire screen every time you booted up - and at frequent other intervals - it would be pretty annoying.

Why? It is just one click to get past it.

Do you get it now?
No, because if you're supposed to be working you only boot up once a day, and in any OS you have to go to a different screen to change between programmes, so if that's annoying you shouldn't be using a computer.

My Computer

System One

• OS

Just for technical fun I just did a clean install and logged all time specs.

First I imaged my system with acronis then I inserted an 8 pro bootable usb stick (flash / thumb drive).
Clean install from usb stick to internal ssd to default start screen.

Timeline: 4:35
set usb to boot (first boot device) in bios
clicked saved to bios and boot

Timeline: 4:36
boot to enter product key

Timeline: 4:37
click next > select custom install > delete all partitions on ssd > click next

Timeline: 4:38
screen display "getting files ready for installation" at 15%

Timeline: 4:39
screen display "getting files ready for installation" at 36%

Timeline: 4:40
screen display "getting files ready for installation" at 70%

Timeline: 4:42
screen display "getting files ready for installation" at 100%

Timeline: 4:43
automatic restart computer > booting > enter bios and change first boot device to ssd

rebooting > enter pc name >
Timeline: 4:44

enter user name
system generating welcome screens
@ default start screen
Timeline: 4:45

Total time for clean installation from a usb stick to an internal ssd to default start screen = 10 minutes :party:
Thanks for going to the trouble of quashing another Windows 8 myth, another myth bites the dust.

My Computer

System One

• OS
th

Can we have a barf fest and see who can regurgitate that same garbage for the longest period of time?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self Built
    CPU
    I7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
    Memory
    CORSAIR 8GB 2X4 D3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX680 4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24" LED VG248QE
    Hard Drives
    SAMSUNG E 256GB SSD 840 PRO -
    SAMSUNG E 120GB SSD840 -
    SEAGATE 1TB PIPELINE
    PSU
    CORSAIR GS800
    Case
    CORSAIR 600T
    Cooling
    CORSAIR HYDRO H100I LIQUID COOLER
    Keyboard
    THERMALTA CHALLENGER ULT GAME-KYBRD
    Mouse
    RAZER DEATHADDER GAME MS BLK-ED
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    APC 1000VA -
    LGELECOEM LG 14X SATA BD BURNER -
    CORSAIR SP120 Fans x 3 -
    NZXT 5.25 USB3 BAY CARD READER -
    HAUPPAUGE COLOSSUS
LOL.

Going on the available information and irrespective of whether we like it personally:

The reality is it is not selling well.

The reality is a lot of people do not like it.

We can pretend that is not the case.

Or we can acknowledge the truth and maybe the deal breakers will get fixed.

MS is fortunate there is no competition. I don't think they would have proceeded like this if there was. They can have another go.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
LOL.

Going on the available information and irrespective of whether we like it personally:

The reality is it is not selling well.

The reality is a lot of people do not like it.

We can pretend that is not the case.

Or we can acknowledge the truth and maybe the deal breakers will get fixed.

MS is fortunate there is no competition. I don't think they would have proceeded like this if there was. They can have another go.
Ten, Nine, Eight, Seven, Six, Five, Four, Three, Two, One, Lift-off

Now it's time to leave Windows 7 if you dare.

My Computer

System One

• OS
If you dare?

LOL, anyone would think it was frightening rather than unsuitable.

No need to be frightened Bill. Did you find it scary? You need to get out more.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
If you dare?

LOL, anyone would think it was frightening rather than unsuitable.

No need to be frightened Bill. Did you find it scary? You need to get out more.
I thought you knew David Bowie, guess not.

I use it on all my computers why would I find it scary.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Because you said "if you dare". Dare suggests what , exactly?

Bowie - some of it before my time - his new album is interesting.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
A single journalist may be wrong and it easy to criticize the poor fellow. But how about real users that spent hard earned money for the thing. This afternoon I was reading thru comments of users that bought Windows 8 from Newegg (or felt inclined to post their views on their site). There are over 100 pages and I encourage you to read some of it here - regardless which edition. Here is a small selection that I collected. In all fairness I have to say that there were also some positive comments - far and apart.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Good OS for people with very little experience with computers. If you don't understand computers, and don't want to understand computers, this will work for you.
Windows 8? What I was looking for: A solid OS that was simple and easy to use. It would allow me to access my files without trouble and would run games just fine. What happened: None of that. Windows 8 treats you like an idiot child. You have to pay a 3rd party for the start bar. A great tradition that windows has always had available you now have to pay for. Microsoft failed so vastly. There are all sorts of bugs that they aren't fixing. The sleep mode is not effective, just a poorly run OS.
Pros: "Metro" is for tablets/phone and teenagers. Switching to desktop and using classic shell makes this version of windows tolerable. I actually could live with the desktop version of 8 with the classic shell add on...but the weirdness of 8 still pops up from time to time.
Cons: There is no need for anyone using a desktop to upgrade from Windows 7, none. The Metro interface is horrid.
Other Thoughts: I ran Windows 8 Pro for two months and went back to version 7 Pro on both our home desktops. Will wait to see what Balmer decides on the next "version" and perhaps I will reload 8 if they fix it. I love Windows 7 and see no need to leave it right now...it's going to be supported until 2020 at least. Save your dollars on version 8 for now.
Cons: No start menu to begin with, and then it is all down hill from there. Way to go Microsoft, you did it again. Did not think it was possible to get worse than Vista. Really regret buying it, just ordered Windows 7 Pro so I can use my 32 Gig of ram, other wise I could have use my Win 7 home premium instead but it is capped at 16 Gig of ram.
Really tired of companies piecing things out in increments. Just make a software that works for all users and be done with it you greedy dirt bags! I better quit typing now, before I really say what I am thinking. :)
Other Thoughts: I have no more thoughts left. Microsoft drove them all out! :-(
Pros: You can stick with Windows 7
Cons: Very un-informative navigation and incompatible with many programs for Windows 7 and below. Grand Theft Auto IV will not work on this OS. The fast boot is bugged not loading my BD drive as well.
Other Thoughts: Stick with Windows 7
Cons: Start up screen. I don't want "apps." E-mail will not work with my POP3 e-mail account. Can't find anything, easily. Intel's SSD toolbox has problems with it, there goes the expensive SSD drive I bought for my new system.
Other Thoughts: I thought Windows Me was bad (remember that one), but 8 is a new low. It might work great for a tablet PC, but some of us still work and play on desktops. They should have called this Windows Tablet, and kept it separate from desktop Windows 7. Burned again, by Microsoft.
As a software developer I *have* to support this poor excuse for an OS. This is worse than the Vista fiasco. I avoid using Wait (W8) as much as I can, other than for testing. I've programmed for *every* version of Windows since 2.11 so I know the product.

Other Thoughts: If I wanted to use Windows Phone, I'd buy a Windows phone. Since I have no desire to own a Windows phone, because they suck, it's terribad. It's bdong (Kung Pao - Enter the Fist reference). There really needs to be a new word to describe how bad this is.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
LOL. You could probably find a few who liked it as well.

Not too dissimilar from the kind of comments all round. I am sure MS know what they ought to fix if they want people to willingly choose their os in large numbers.

They might not. They can use their monopoly power to shove a lot of things through.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Because you said "if you dare". Dare suggests what , exactly?

Bowie - some of it before my time - his new album is interesting.
You see you just don't understand, you shouldn't bring things up that you don't understand.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Pros: Very Fast
All my programs and games work
Cons: Two versions of Internet Explorer (Desktop and Metro) and they don't talk to each other.
Other Thoughts: I actually really enjoy Windows 8, it is fast and if you customize the start screen it is fine. I do spend most of my time on the desktop.

Just take the time to create some desktop shortcuts for powering down and getting to all apps and you will be fine.

I am a fairly casual user (games, office, internet and some other misc programs)

It worked perfectly with my first PC build. See below:

My First Build - February 2013 (just under 1K total)
i5 3570K
HIS Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 256-bit PCIE 3.0
ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (8x2) 1600 DDR3 RAM
Corsair TX 750 PSU 80 Plus Bronze
Corsair Carbide Series 500R Case Black
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120GB SSD
Samsung DVD Burner
Windows 8 OEM

I don't understand all the hate.
Pros: Pretty, fast, easy to use once you learn how.
Cons: Takes some time to get used to. Some customization needed to make it more efficient (like power down button). Jumping on the all new OS boat early means a lack of possible program support and freeware.
Other Thoughts: I don't understand all the hate.

Rating: 5/5Windows 8
Pros: FAST! A nice change from the old windows style.
Cons: A little confusing, but that's understandable because its a new OS.
Other Thoughts: The only reason this product does not have a 5 star rating is because people don't like to learn how to navigate the new windows style OS. Get windows 8 its really cool!

8 Rocks!
Pros: Memory: "Sips" memory, no more buying 12 gigs to game.
CPU: Again "Sips" cpu usage so apps run much better.
Security: Secure multi gen code from industry owner not just leader.
Anti-Virus: Comes with FREE MS Security Essentials so unless you are visiting some very hard core and dangerous hackers sites this is way to go. Need better? Buy ESET and use Acronis try it now and backup.....see low cpu usage....
Cons: Zero cons at this time, wish it was free.
Two out of 45 apps not supported at first and now only one which was Billeo bar and they stopped consumer products so that does not count. Toshiba's Call Manager for MAS server / CTX Enterprise phone system only partly worked. But that has been fixed with 0.8 version they just released so now all of my company apps work.
Other Thoughts: I can take a Dell Precision Workstation 490, 380, T5400 or T5500 and load W8Pro 64-bit and its like a new pc again. Even after 4 months running still rolling and don't need to replace hardware effectively getting me 3-6 years life out of some of those machines, at $1200-2600 each that's nothing to sneeze at. BTW need cheap gamer pc buy it now a T5400 or T5500 with video card and W8Pro 64 you are in business w/SC2, BF3, EQ2, WOW, SS with only 4 gigs of ram.

Honest Review
Pros: Windows 7 with enhancements. Despite people telling you Metro is impossible to get rid of, upon install and the main screen, you just click "Desktop" and you get exactly what Windows 7 looks like and feels.
Despite taking a couple hours to test out and get used to shortcuts and new utilities, the OS is nice. I didn't look forward to switching to this from Windows 7. Now that I have it on my system with a fresh install, it's friggin' nice. The mass of reviews saying how bad it was made me think I was in for trouble when in reality all it took was a little getting used to.
I like moving the mouse to the corner to get a quick panel. Other than the Metro entrance, it's exactly the same.
Unless in the next few days I suddenly find a horrible flaw in the system, I'd have to say switching to 8 half as bad as I thought, and maybe even a bonus from 7.
Cons: I could see how people who don't use computers a lot might not get the hang of it. Then again, I assume it would be just as hard to get used to Windows 7 if you'd never used a Windows based version before.
Using a web browser from the app screen puts it in full screen mode automatically, which if you forget not to go to desktop first gets annoying.
Other Thoughts: The amount of people saying how horrible this OS is just makes me realize how much people can't stand even the littlest amount of change. It's a good comfortable OS.

I don't get why this is hated so much!
Pros: Great looking, amazing features such as account wide apps making it easy to switch from your PC to Tablet and even Phone, it's fast booting, continues to load pages fast if taking care of and easy to use even for someone with low tech knowledge.
Cons: Not really any in my book. Maybe the price, I went for an OEM just because the price for the full I do not think is worth it.

Future is now
Pros: The longer I use Windows 8 the more I believe it is a leap to the next generation operating system! I waited for the Windows 8 phone, then upgraded to Win8 on home computer, now I want to upgrade to 8 at my office and get a Win8 tablet. Seamless connectivity. What you see at home is on your phone and on your tablet and on your work computer, and Xbox. It all works together. Yea, new start screen takes getting use to, but I'm now use to it. Once you get use to it on one device it's the same on all Win8 devices.
Quick startup. Its worth having a Microsoft Account and logging right into it at start up. Then you can be connected Xbox music and games, mail, etc.
Cons: Like anything new, there is a learning curve. I had to learn Win95, too, but it was worth it. Like with Apple and Google, it's hard to determine what apps are worth installing. Too, many to choose from and very little advice as to which one's are good.
Other Thoughts: Just built new computer system for my 16 year old son and installed WIn8. I feared he would hate it. Here is his comment after using it: "I don't think people know what they are talking about when they say Windows 8 is hard to use. It's really easy to use."

Great as ever
Pros: -The OS is actually very snappy
-The start up times are super fast, a decent bit faster then window 7
-The metro UI is not really that bad, it is also easly avoidable with third party programs
- metro is nice to have there if you want to casually use your pc, and as mentioned is not that big of a problem
-storage spaces is actually very cool if you have multiple hard drives, because they wont show up as different letter drives. it will just make it one single drive in windows.
-The start menue button missing is not all that bad, im using metro as the start menue by leaving all my programs i use normally on metro.
-The charms bar is very nice as well, it always quick access to searching and the control panel as well as most settings.
-The task manager is a lot easier to use now and shows off a lot more information, i personally love that it makes it easy to disable programs that will start up automatically when you start your computer.
Cons: The only con i can think of is the packaging it comes in, this is just me being picky, but the packaging is really plain. it is just a thin packaging with another thin packaging that holds the one disc
Other Thoughts: The OS is not as bad as most people say. It is a faster. has more features, and it just looks all around nice and not so black and white.

Over all a nice OS that I personally enjoy

Modern OS
Pros: Modern OS, the first true overhaul of windows in many years. Really good combination of features you find on tablets and mobile with the same functions as a traditional desktop. The Start Button has been replaced with a more visually appealing and easier to customize interface called the Metro Browser. Task Manager has more features.
Cons: A few bugs and a learning curve. The Start button is gone (pro for me, con for most)
Other Thoughts: System: AMD 8 core, 8 gigs 1866 ram, nvidia 660 ti graphics card with 2 gb ddr5, dual 1080P samsung LED 23's

First of all there is a learning curve. Not much, but once you get used to where things are and how they function this OS fuses the best features of a tablet OS and a desktop OS into one.

The Start button actually still exists in another form, it is now the metro browser. You can customize it any way you feel easily and it is even in the lower left hand corner to activate. Instead of bringing up a menu you get a full screen customizable interface. You can add and remove Apps (and programs, as windows recognizes them as apps now). With dual displays, you can activate on either screen and even run apps on the second screen while having the standard desktop on the main screen. I was playing a game on my main screen while watching Hulu on the second (the windows 8 app version is honestly the best of the Hulu apps I think).

I have used Windows from 3.1 to present, and used all but ME and VISTA. This feels like a different OS, especially on the surface and maybe that is where some of the negative comments come from. I really like it. Better than Windows 7 IMO.

I do feel that the OS will streamline your personal experience, but has a little more setup to get there than Windows 7 and previous versions. Much like an Android OS you tend to make sure that things you use are in places you can easily get to them. Do I need direct access to a program I use once a year from a start menu? Or is 2 extra clicks in that situation ok? Once you realize that this streamlines the rest of your clicks for your most used programs, you will save clicks over time by quite a bit. One at least for every time you hit the start button. On the Metro Browser your most used programs can be placed (and scrolled through if there are a good number of them) and reached when you directly log into windows.

Ahh.... I see there are people that aren't rabid out there...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Back