Removing Start for Windows 8 was the right thing to do

Re: "Search command box for regedit". Sorry didn't make this clear. If I type "regedit" into "Search programs and files" box in Start Menu and hit Enter on keyboard it opens Registry. Ditto for commands like "sfc /scannow', "msconfig", etc.
Hi Mustang :)

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, just letting you know - when you are on the start screen, if you type the commands you mentioned above and hit enter, you get the same result.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Linux Mint 14
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion g4
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1 GB Radeon Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    500 GB HDD
Hi Mustang :)

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, just letting you know - when you are on the start screen, if you type the commands you mentioned above and hit enter, you get the same result.
Hi Arpan,

Yes, I was aware of that, but thanks anyway for input. I'm buying W8 Pro 64bit OEM with disk tomorrow. Main reason is to get improved kernel and general OS improvements. And though I'll be using hack to restore Orb Start Menu, will also have access to Start Screen. So I'm going to play around a bit and try some of the other access methods suggested by RobR.

I am familiar with tile/touch screen via my Sony Ericsson Experia Android mobile phone, so that should give me a head start.

Cheers M :D

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Re: "Search command box for regedit". Sorry didn't make this clear. If I type "regedit" into "Search programs and files" box in Start Menu and hit Enter on keyboard it opens Registry. Ditto for commands like "sfc /scannow', "msconfig", etc.

Yes, I launch all that stuff through search including most of the control panel stuff. For any command line stuff I have a Console window snapped to the bottom corner of my desktop that when being used is 90% opaque but inactive drops to nearly transparent. I use the command line quite a bit so it's always on my desktop but don't like for it to be 100% visible when I'm not using it. And yes the transparency of it works with W8 also.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
@R0br. Thanks for that info Rob. Cheers M. :thumb: :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
I hardly ever used the Start button in Windows 7. The new Start screen in Windows 8 is more convenient.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Eyo
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 640
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 205BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Microsoft
    Internet Speed
    40 Mb/s
Removing the Start Menu won't make lose a single sale to MS (hacks are available and half of the users will use them) yet it was per-se an incredibly stupid move.
I cost them nothing to leave it (as it cost very little for Start8 and similar hacks to be released within days) and they could have let it as an option.
Yes, we used the Start Menu only once or twice per year (if any) but it will be exactely the same with Metro when poeple will finaly realize that it's not efficient in regard to using the Desktop. The Desktop is much more efficient than the Start Menu (that's why it was little used) but it's also a million times more efficient than the Metro Start Screen, and that's why the latter will be little used too. Seriousely, I don't see the point in opening a full screen Start Screen to open a program if you have the shortcut on the Desktop.
That's why I think MS went over the top with Metro. Calling it the future of computing was prematurate to say the least. And very arrogant.
About search:
BenWoods ZDNet said:
The bonus of the search charm is that it does predictive matching. If you want to open Notepad up quickly, for example, you tap open the charm, start typing 'N-O' and it will display matching apps, whether these are desktop or Metro-style apps.
PLease define Quickely - LOL -.
The author forgets that this was already the case with the search function in 7. It's like the "Now you can open IE in full screen" argument. Nothing new or extraordinary.
Now let's try it with a software you rarely use and forgot how it's called exactely... Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
I'm more concerned with sorting through 300 programs on the Start Menu. There's no way I'm going to be typing program names to find a program. I've gotta scroll a menu with my mouse to find programs. I've gotta track down that Start Menu hack before I consider installing Windows 8 Pro on a laptop or desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Win 8 Pro DVD
    HP m7-1015dx Laptop
    CPU
    2.3 Ghz - 3.3 Ghz
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB 5400 RPM
    Keyboard
    External USB
    Mouse
    Optical Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15 mbps dl / 1 Mbps ul
    Antivirus
    Avast!
Windows 8 has many improvements, it's not just Metro. So, it makes perfect sense disabling Metro and the "why use 8 like 7?" argument is weak. I actually liked and used the Metro screen at first, however, the constant switching between Metro and Desktop is annoying to my eyes and frankly a bit ridiculous, like a 2-in-1 OS. Almost every program I use (and launch from the Metro screen) will again revert to Desktop mode. When Microsoft provides everything (including Windows Explorer) for Metro and gets rid of Desktop completely, it could make sense. As it is... Classic Shell and eye-sanity for me.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built
    CPU
    Intel Q9650 (3GHz)
    Memory
    4 GB