Removing Start for Windows 8 was the right thing to do

As the author states: "It's now time, unless you plan to stop using Windows for the rest of your life, to get over it: the Start button is gone" I still believe that as we get used to it, the vast majority will like the Windows 8 just the way it is. Yes--right now I'm sure that there are many who will take issue with what I just said; and I have no problem with that. But I say just give it time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion g7-120us Notebook
    Memory
    8 GIG
OK, so Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, want to do away with the Start button. How, then, are we users supposed to do all the things we used to use the Start button for? Where else may we find a simple list of installed programs? Are we supposed to have a coloured tile for each and every program we install? And since some programs seem to spawn a multitude of tiles when they are installed, do we have to tidy things up each time we install something?

Coming from Windows XP, I can see that using tiles instead of a desktop with Start button will take a lot of getting used to. Fine, I can use the Classic Shell program to restore a Start button (not quite the same, but close), I would rather Microsoft gave me the choice. Instead, Microsoft is behaving in a rather Applistic manner: "you don't want that. You should just want what we tell you to want."

PS Am I showing my age and lack of uptodatefullness by referring to 'programs' instead of 'apps'?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows XP
    Shuttle SD11G5
    CPU
    Pentium M
    Motherboard
    Shuttle SD11G5
    Memory
    plenty
    Graphics Card(s)
    on-board (Intel 915GM)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
That tiled interface is freaking horrible for desktops. Windows 8 is going to tank

You forgot to say IMO. Ok. I will say it. IMO the tiles interface is very effective, quick and useful for desktops. Easier, IMO, to use, than a start menu. Just IMO. Not true for someone else. It is a preference. Considering the use of a start menu for 17 years, I welcome the change. Opinions vary. If 8 tanks, it will be added to my collection of Operating Systems. It is not a must have upgrade. Looking forward to the next release of Windows.

Eventually people will realize that tablets are garbage for "real" computing though

Since my desktop is not mobile, I have no experience with mobile technology. I use 8 in the same manner as all previous versions. A traditional desktop experience with a new launcher and apps that are interesting and useful.

But they do have something to lose by not including it ... the loss of potential sales from existing W7
customers who would otherwise upgrade, or new customers, who won't buy it unless there's a start menu included. Many people refused to upgrade from Vista to W7 because there was no email client included in W7.

On the other hand it costs nothing to include it, and everything to gain. And not only in increased sales, but also it fosters goodwill if nothing else. And with the market economy the way it is, who can't use some extra goodwill?

Unfortunately, touch is a priority (not exclusive) to the OS model and would be ineffective with an orby menu. Whether one likes touch or not, that is the MS plan for now. I, like many others, prefer a mouse and keyboard. So, 8 is a phone OS and desktop hybrid. Take it or leave it, or leave it, or forget it. If they lose customers, then that will be a consequence of their decision. As far as goodwill is concerned, MS, IMO, believes an orby menu to be a legacy option and is not compatible with touch. So 8 is kind of like a schizophrenic OS. MS has lost money before, and will lose customers and money again...but will probably still be around for a while.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
mdmd,

Remember, I was quoting what my coworker said about 8 on his computer at work. They weren't my statements.

I personally think that the tile interface of start is horrible, as I have to leave behind everything on my destkop and run the menu for picking an application on my entire screen. I don't want to run any of this BS metro apps, because they either consume my whole screen, 320px of my screen, or the rest of my screen. I don't want that. I'm on a 24" monitor, I want to be able to resize things as I see fit.

I'm glad you like the change to the new start setup. I'm glad it works for you. I'm not happy that I have no choice in the matter. Having an option for the start menu has always been in Windows. Usually the new view and the classic view. People could choose which they liked. But now we don't have an option and that's what rubs many of us the wrong way.

Sure, it's slick looking, cutesy even. But many of us don't find it appealing to use, efficient or effective.

Like you say, we all have our opinions and we are entitled to them. I'm not saying anybody is wrong for liking it, but it sure would be nice to have had some choice for those who don't. The lack of choice makes me feel like I am using an Apple product.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
And since some programs seem to spawn a multitude of tiles when they are installed, do we have to tidy things up each time we install something?

The fact that, depending on the software, many icons are dropped in the Start Screen is a by product of installers designed for Windows 7, it's not because of W8 or Metro. When software and their installers are updated to "Works with Windows 8" or "Windows 8 Compatible" I'm sure there will be options for the icons and Start Screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
Sure, it's slick looking, cutesy even. But many of us don't find it appealing to use, efficient or effective. Like you say, we all have our opinions and we are entitled to them. I'm not saying anybody is wrong for liking it, but it sure would be nice to have had some choice for those who don't. The lack of choice makes me feel like I am using an Apple product.

True, about the lack of options, but with each OS there seems to be always something given and something taken away. Simply stated, for me, oh well, enough with the start menu. Been using it for 17 years and am quite annoyed by it. Do not like nesting or hierarchies. I prefer the new flat approach. I was getting so annoyed by start menus, that I was seeking shell replacements and even going to Linux distros. Frequently used dock launchers. Never liked the lack of multimedia support (in UNIX) or Linux Windows never remembering their size or position by default as in MS windows. Also never liked all the junk programs the users of UNIX seem to like, as in the terminal... I spent enough time using a UNIX VAX at school that the entry of codes to process a simple task offends me. The command prompt in Windows seems easier to use.

Actually, it is not my opinion that the SS is slick or cutesy or appealing. Not a fan of colorization limits on the SS or apps area. Also not a fan of tile auto colorization. How about no choice of SS movable wallpaper. Their offerings for SS designs are quite lame. There could be an option to resize the tiles (to more than large or small) or change them to any number of shapes instead of square. MS has always limited their customization options which gives developers the opportunity to sell their products. Maybe they have had talks with developers behind closed doors to encourage customization development. MS has already gotten into trouble with their browser by making it a part of the OS (before they got sued). Even still with 7, problems are ongoing and never end. Have a great night! Good Luck.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
Unfortunately, touch is a priority (not exclusive) to the OS model and would be ineffective with an orby menu.
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for a touch OS to be ineffective if the option is given to use either touch or traditional alpha-numeric cascaded start menu. It does not diminish the capabilities or effectiveness of touch/Metro in any way.

In actual fact that's exactly what I am using right now in Enterprise W8 with the 'Ex7forW8' hacked orb start menu, which has a simple toggle switch to use either W7 Explorer with Orb start menu, or W8 explorer with Metro.

The difference with this hack is that when installing it's necessary to insert the W7 disc so Explorer 7 files can be copied into the W8 OS. This means you get all the advantages of W8's increased speed, security, etc, etc ... but still retains the desired Explorer 7 features. One click and I'm back into native W8.

Without wishing to debate it, as far as I'm concerned a cascaded alpha-numeric start menu will never die because it's more efficient than a tile menu ... period. No doubt many will disagree, and that's their prerogative, but I stand by this statement. Given an efficient operator, equally knowledgeable in both tile/alpha-numeric start menus, and a diverse set of inter-related, multi-function tasks to perform simultaneously, I have no doubt the time taken would be significantly greater using tile.

I am equally convinced that if there was another company on a parity with MS offering an equally good OS with an orb start menu, and office with list instead of a ribbon, a very large percentage of consumers would swing over.

People will adapt to MS because there's no where else to go. But that doesn't mean it's necessarily more efficient or embraced ... simply endured and learnt to live with. People learned to live under a Communist regime because they had no choice. It didn't mean it was a better system, or that they liked it.

History also shows that over a given period of time fashions go through a cycle. Bell bottom trousers through to stove pipes and back again. Cars with ignition switches and a separate start button, to start button/ignition combined, and now back to ignition switch with separate start button in BMWs and others. With all tile menus we're back to the early windows versions; but it will eventually go full circle and come back to alpha-numeric cascaded start menu.

If W7 has reached the peak possible efficiency as an OS in it's overall strucure, (not including improvements to sub-structures for security, speed, etc), then there would be no more new models coming out and MS would have nothing new to sell. I can use Office 2003 just as efficiently, if not more so, than Office 2010. So why have I got 2010? Because some sub-features are improved, and compatibility issues with interactions for spreadsheets when doing things like tax returns, etc.

The big change in W8 is that it is a foray by MS into the touchfone/tablet/hybrid laptop market. And no one blames them for doing that since the traditional desktop has almost reached saturation point, while the portable device/phone market is evolving at an exponential rate.

That does not mean the tradtional desktop is going away. It's not a case of either/or. It's a case of both/and. Almost everyone I know has both portable and desktop. As mentioned elsewhere in this forum, I am a memeber of a world wide self-help organization, and help members in my area who have computer problems on a pro bono basis; so my observations are not limited to my own group of personal friends.

It is amazing how many persons, including myself, who still use XP for one reason or another. It might be as simple as a favorite legacy game, or being able to put background sound, picture or color in an email ... features not aviailable in WinLiveMail. And the lsit goes on.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
You can put lipstick on a pig..... but it's still a pig.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
I'm so confused by this thread... the start menu is there. it's just full screen now rather than 1/5 of the screen.

it works pretty much just the same. you hit the windows key, you see the start menu. you start typing to see your apps and files, just like windows 7. you can organize it anyway you like, just like windows 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
I'm so confused by this thread... the start menu is there. it's just full screen now rather than 1/5 of the screen.

it works pretty much just the same. you hit the windows key, you see the start menu. you start typing to see your apps and files, just like windows 7. you can organize it anyway you like, just like windows 7.
I will give you an example of what the main complaint is about the Start menu. I have MS Office installed. With Office there are several different apps such as Mail, Word, Excel and several others. With Windows 7 when you look at the Start menu you will see MS Office and will not see any of the other apps. Then you can expand Office which will bring up the other apps. Therefore the menu does not look cluttered. On the Start screen in Win 8 you will see all of Office's apps which makes many more apps appear on the screen which seems congested.
However once one learns how to use it, there is no problem.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    HP Pavilion g7-120us Notebook
    Memory
    8 GIG

That's exactly why those who don't prefer 8 don't like it. If I wanted 50 gazillion icons on my screen I'd dump them there. But I don't. All I've got on my 7 setup is My Computer and the trash can - you cannot do the same with 8 unless you bypass Metro altogether.

The ironic thing is that MS did this with Program Manager and then came up with the Start button to get rid of that clutter two decades ago. What you're doing with 8 is, conceptually, old. Not new.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    Barracuda 7200 SATA 280GB
    WD Caviar Green SATA 500GB
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps
But it is the way that tablets, phones, and touchscreen devices work. I think it would have been best to leave the option as a choice for those of us without a touchscreen, but alas they did not.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
All I've got on my 7 setup is My Computer and the trash can - you cannot do the same with 8 unless you bypass Metro altogether.

I don't bypass the metro - seems simple and clean enough

ss4.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
mdmd - your desktop is a tile for crying out loud. :p That's what I want to avoid.

You can't customize the other two tiles very much, and (no offense) even if you could I wouldn't want that set up. You've only got those three tiles on there? What's the point of Metro then? I don't mean for that to be a hostile question. Just curious if you're never planning to add more.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps

That's exactly why those who don't prefer 8 don't like it. If I wanted 50 gazillion icons on my screen I'd dump them there. But I don't. All I've got on my 7 setup is My Computer and the trash can - you cannot do the same with 8 unless you bypass Metro altogether.

Then why don't you do that? Put spacers in the Start screen and move all the icons you don't want off to the right of the spacers. That way, you have a clean Start screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
Yeah having an entire screen dedicated to a couple of tiles seems rather pointless.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
dirtyvu:

1.) It's just like I asked mdmd. What's the point of Metro if you're going to use virtually nothing on the start screen? I don't even want to do that because I have to go through Metro to get to the desktop. Makes no sense to have a clean start screen if you don't want a start screen to begin with.

2.) I want a holding pen for my programs. The taskbar is too small, the Metro Start screen is too stupid. Where am I supposed to put all the stuff that's in my 7 Start menu now?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Black Label 7x64
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
    Motherboard
    GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon HD 6790
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AJ15
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    OCZ ModXStream 700W
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps/25 Mbps
Agree with lack of customization options. I would like to see more choice for movable wallpaper and color options. Also would like to see options for individual tile customizations. IE favorites are available. Also IE jump lists of the desktop version. I launch from all apps programs not frequently used.

I know many object to the touch priority but that is their plan. I still find it very easy to use with my touch pad / mouse / keyboard.
Why is this better

ss6.jpg

than these

ss7.jpg

start7.jpg

Ok. I have heard the arguments. No need to rehash. I am glad to celebrate the removal of the start menu.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4