Munich, Germany: Linux was disaster, back to Windows

Back in 2004, Munich, Germany decided that they were going to switch to Linux (specifically, LiMux) as their primary operating system and drop Microsoft's Windows operating system. At the time, the decision was said to be cheaper, more reliable and politically correct for the city and this would be the on the same scale as the Berlin Wall falling for politics but for IT.

Read more at: Munich, Germany realizes that deploying Linux was a disaster, going back to Windows - Neowin

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a 10" Windows 8.1 with a quad core, SSD, HDMI, USB3, with 11hours battery life, great touchpad and 2lbs for $329. Who needs Apple.

What exactly are you using?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I don't like Thunderbird or evolution - in fact IMO the best email client ever for individuals was probably OUTLOOK EXPRESS which disappeared with Windows XP --now if somebody could come up with a decent clone of that I WOULD use it.
Agreed.

Outlook Express is probably better than the two programs I mentioned earlier.
"Lost Technology of the Ancients." :D

@pparks1 - Nothing wrong with Apple -- apart from a) it's expensive and b) everything is proprietary -- even the hardware connections like USB etc. (I believe they've made the hardware a bit more compatible now so you can hook up standard USB devices - but it took them a long time !!. - Also I don't like the Apple store or "ICHOONES" either). The Macbook though works fine - I wouldn't have trouble using it - I just wouldn't BUY one though.
I've been using a Mac All-in-One for the past few weeks (at TAFE).

It hasn't impressed me with its proclaimed ease of use (I'm still floundering helplessly).
It doesn't seem to be particularly fast either.

How do you determine which programs are open if you can't see the program windows?

Safari is horrible.

The disembodied menus are a joke.
If I close a program, the menu remains open.

When I log in, it automatically starts 2 copies of PowerPoint and no one can tell me how to stop it. :confused:

After using Windows for >15 years I guess it is to be expected.
At this point I'd have to say that most Linux Distros are easier to use.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
It hasn't impressed me with its proclaimed ease of use (I'm still floundering helplessly).
Yeah, it's certainly a learning experience, especially coming from a long history of Windows. I think a big difference is that with Windows, most Windows users want to know what's going on behind the scene and perform some type of maintenance. Apple users just expect all is well, and don't bother with any behind the scenes stuff. So, I think as Windows users we look for things that just aren't easily found.

What I like best about the Mac, is the fact that it goes to sleep and wakes up instantly from sleep. That works fantastic for my home use. I grab my laptop, flip it open, browse a few forums, close the lid and go onto other things. This laptop is fantastic for that. It wakes up and sleeps as fast as my mobile phone.

do you determine which programs are open if you can't see the program windows?
They will have little underline markers on the dock icons, which indicate they are open. Also, you can hit command-tab and it will show you everything that is running.

Sarai is horrible.
I've had to come to grips with using it. I put Chrome on here, and it works just fine, but it really sucks down the battery compared to Safari. I have a plugin for Safari that is allowing me to share my Google bookmarks and keep them synced, so that solves my biggest concern.

I close a program, the menu remains open.
Then you aren't closing the program, but simply minimizing it. If you hit Command+Q, it will quit and the menu will go away.

I log in, it automatically starts 2 copies of PowerPoint and no one can tell me how to stop it. :confused:
Well, if it's working normally, it's in System Preferences, Users, and the Login items tab. But just like Windows, it's possible something has gone wrong and is launching 2 copies. I'm sure somebody with some Unix/Linux experience could look into this and get it sorted for you...since behind the scenes it's pretty much Linux/Unix underneath.

using Windows for >15 years I guess it is to be expected.
Yeah, it took me a number of months to become proficient. I bought the MacBook Pro to learn about the Apple ecosystem. We have more Apple devices hitting my place of employment and I was getting tired of saying, "Yeah, sorry, I don't know". So, since I was in need of a new personal laptop at home, I thought that I would give the MacBook Pro a shot.

Thus far, pretty happy with my purchase. But in no way have I become an Apple diehard. I'm not even remotely close to being sold on Apple as my only choice. If I had to pick 1 and only 1 computer right now, I'd go with a PC running Windows.

I think for basic users, it's a compelling unit. It does't crash much (mine hasn't yet). It comes with Time Machine, which makes backups and restores a piece of cake. It's far less impacted by Viruses and Malware. If you live near an Apple store, getting hands on support is really easy. And in the event that the whole thing goes south, it's incredibly easy to boot into restore mode and get your OS reinstalled. You don't even need media, you don't need license keys and you don't have to bother with activation.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
How do you determine which programs are open if you can't see the program windows?

Safari is horrible.

The disembodied menus are a joke.
If I close a program, the menu remains open.

When I log in, it automatically starts 2 copies of PowerPoint and no one can tell me how to stop it. :confused:

After using Windows for >15 years I guess it is to be expected.
At this point I'd have to say that most Linux Distros are easier to use.

Well, apple "logic" is very dumb - close button doent close the program, but only the window, program still is opened, so you must go to menu and press exit manually, or exit program with keyboard shortcuts - macs are tied to using keyboard shortcuts much more than linux or windows.

Safari isnt very bad, considering the fact, that other browsers are trash for mac - every other browser performs really bad on mac, like devs doesnt give sh1t about apple :) You cant even compare firefox or chrome for linux/windows vs mac ...

About powerpoint, somewhere in startup options must be added powerpoint.

And yes, macs need more maintenance than linux or windows, forget all the fake things that fanboys told you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7 x64
I own a Mac, I'm not having to do any maintenance. No virus scans, no malware scans, nothing. Fan boys haven't told me anything.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Stop me if I am wrong, but doesn't this sound like the old Ford vs. GM vs. Chrysler argument? Each person has their preferences and each 'vehicle' has it's good and bad points.

Where computers are concerned, I really liked my 5150 running DOS 5.0 and DOS shell. What a beast it was. Now, I must have used 60 distros of Linux, I have a G5 with Leopard in the outer office and I normally use Win 7 and Win 8.1 on a daily basis. What have I learned? I like KDE in Linux, I like Windows and I am OK with Apple.

Back on topic, when you deal with government, think politics, not logic. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    APF19
    CPU
    i5-760
    Motherboard
    Intel Extreme DP55KG
    Memory
    16 GB of G.Skill
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte HD4670
    Sound Card
    On board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    27" LG
    Cooling
    Stock cooler
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    Vipre 2014
Hi there

I can't say I've had ANY problems using Apple software or their machines - however I actually don't think it's as intuitive as people say it is. I agree Apple works "Straight out of the box" but often it's a bit of a pain adding non Apple software -- for example adding VMware or parallels to bring up a Windows VM on it (even with Apple you can't avoid dealing with Windows in most work places).

I find Linux on the whole the best solution these days on a decent PC with various Windows VM's including W8.1. However I agree that Linux isn't intuitive either and for about 90% of typical people out there Windows is (and with good reason) the system of choice.

You'll find loads of people who have dabbled with Linux for a while but invariably go back to Windows. However THESE days Linux is infinitely more stable, has Plug and Play, is more configurable and is more secure - a non root user for example would find it virtually impossible to "Break" the system.

What Linux needs above anything else for world wide desk adoption is for their to be some sort of commonality in distribution maintenance, software updates and release dates. At the moment it's a Pot stew of many distributions all with their own flavours of software maintenance (.RPM, .DEB,.GZ etc) and above all a DECENT OFFICE package which is at least as good as Ms's offering.

Some partial decent clones are emerging but none as yet come anywhere near the TOTAL functionality of Office as used in a workplace. Some parts are fine for home users but aren't yet ready for Enterprise use.

And as always with Linux - therein lies the rub -- as a lot of it is OPENSOURCE development will often be done in a "haphazard" manner -- rather like the old image of a greying wizened mad inventor tinkering in his garden shed. Great for us as individuals but you can't run a serious corporation on this type of maintenance.

Servers are a different proposition but there are only TWO serious players out there - RED HAT and SUSE/NOVELL so server maintenance isn't really an issue.

BTW Thanks to BOTH of these corporations for supplying a lot of support and help to their open source developers --maybe Ms should learn from these companies who still make a LOT of money.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I got a 10" Windows 8.1 with a quad core, SSD, HDMI, USB3, with 11hours battery life, great touchpad and 2lbs for $329. Who needs Apple.

The forum's greatest shopper! :thumbsup:
It was actually a device that the wife wanted for travel. She did not want to have to learn Android (we already had a Nexus 7) and she got immediately used to 8.1.

At first I had my doubts about the small 10" keyboard because she is a professional typist typing at high speed - quite the opposite to my 2 finger eagle search typing. But after a couple of days she mastered that too.

Now she is also often using it at the kitchen table at home. The long battery life sure helps.

I did not think I could use it because of my 40% eye vision and the small screen. But in reality I can use it quite well - with my reading glasses.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Jimbo said:
OUTLOOK EXPRESS which disappeared with Windows XP
It became Windows Mail and it's pretty much the same concept.
CountMike: That's the exact opposite of my experience, but that's fine. Of course a mail client depends on the volume of useless datas spammers send to you (like companies sending their entire pdf catalog twice a week) but with a quiet stiff e-mail blocker list, I avoid most of it.
Mac, for the rare case I used it, looked very similar in use to Windows. If you are a good Windows geek, jumping head first into Mac shouldn't be a problem.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
Jimbo said:
CountMike: That's the exact opposite of my experience, but that's fine. Of course a mail client depends on the volume of useless datas spammers send to you (like companies sending their entire pdf catalog twice a week) but with a quiet stiff e-mail blocker list, I avoid most of it.
Mac, for the rare case I used it, looked very similar in use to Windows. If you are a good Windows geek, jumping head first into Mac shouldn't be a problem.
I don't get it, what's the difference if i read same message in same gmail account thru browser or thru Outlook ?. Let's say I read the message about this thread thru FF, same message would be in Outlook but would have to be downloaded to my disk first.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
Jimbo said:
I don't get it, what's the difference if i read same message in same gmail account thru browser or thru Outlook ?. Let's say I read the message about this thread thru FF, same message would be in Outlook but would have to be downloaded to my disk first.

Hi there @Count Mike

Haven't you ever heard of IMAP so you can leave stuff on the server -- actually IMAP is good too as it easily integrates with mail on mobile phones too. Imap also means you can copy stuff to local files on SEVERAL computers too if you use more than one -- quite handy for Work and home machines accessing same email servers.

You can then move / copy stuff to local folders if you want to use mail off line.

With POP3 if you copy stuff to a local machine that's it gone from the server and therefore not accessible to other machines.

Webmail clients as I pointed out are a big security risk for businesses since you

a) have to use a browser,
b) need uncontrolled access to the Internet depending on who your email client is with and
c) by passes all the company security protocols by not using their email servers -- apart from the hideous performance of these clients and their usual pages of ads as well.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Thanks for that info pparks1 and basher. :)

I have to use a Mac again today (hopefully I'll remember these tips).

The "Close" button not closing items is really intuitive. :confused:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

What exactly are you using?
If I can speak for whs, I think he has the ASUS T100 Transformer Book. I've had the experience of deploying a custom Windows image onto that little tablet, it's quite a lovely little device.

Intel quad core Atom processor, 64 gig SSD, USB 3, I think microSD, HDMI output, and certain models of the Transformer have an option for a 500 gig hard drive in the keyboard dock. A friend of mine got the T100 on sale for about $230. Even the touchpad and its software are quite excellent on it as well. I do enjoy ASUS' touchpad driver software as it really changes up the Windows 8 experience a touch.

Who needs apple indeed?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
^ If that IS what he has, the internal storage is not SSD. It's EMMC flash memory.

It's a solid little device for $329...but it's not a performance oriented machine in any way. It's a quad core atom, only has 2GB of RAM, the screen is only 1386x768, and as stated above it's not SSD, but rather EMMC...which clocks in around the same speed as mechanical drives as far as throughput, but faster access to files.

As is the case, in many cases, we aren't comparing the same things.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
^ If that IS what he has, the internal storage is not SSD. It's EMMC flash memory.

It's a solid little device for $329...but it's not a performance oriented machine in any way. It's a quad core atom, only has 2GB of RAM, the screen is only 1386x768, and as stated above it's not SSD, but rather EMMC...which clocks in around the same speed as mechanical drives as far as throughput, but faster access to files.

As is the case, in many cases, we aren't comparing the same things.

I believe it's what whs has, or something in the same nature because I remember it is an ASUS Transformer book.

But yes, different devices, different usages, different things. It's definitely not a performance device, but that's not its intended use; much like how a mac is typically an expensive facebook machine.... ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
It was actually a device that the wife wanted for travel. She did not want to have to learn Android (we already had a Nexus 7) and she got immediately used to 8.1.

Sounds like you married a smart woman there, whs! And a W8 fangurl as well! :D

At first I had my doubts about the small 10" keyboard because she is a professional typist typing at high speed - quite the opposite to my 2 finger eagle search typing. But after a couple of days she mastered that too.

One of the things I regretted in life is dropping out of typing class a few weeks in as a high school freshman thinking I'd never use it. "That's secretarial sissy stuff!" Of course that was before the PC and liberation movements. Boy, was I wrong! Now I'm what I call a chicken typist pecking with two fingers on the keyboard. :D

Now she is also often using it at the kitchen table at home. The long battery life sure helps.

Is this so she leaves you alone longer? :p

I did not think I could use it because of my 40% eye vision and the small screen. But in reality I can use it quite well - with my reading glasses.

Must have high rez? Which model is it? I really enjoy my Lumia 1520 @ 1080x1920. :)

BTW, how is that Lumia working out for you? Did you get the 8.1 update yet?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Never had an Apple product, so I wouldn't know, but a couple of new members came on claiming that W8.x is similar in a lot of ways. I kind of grasped what they explained.

Not sure about the cost of iStuff, but I do know that's their main corporate revenue. With Google it's advertising via surfing data collection. MS seems to be more diversified and becoming more so.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1

Sounds like you married a smart woman there, whs! And a W8 fangurl as well! :D

One of the things I regretted in life is dropping out of typing class a few weeks in as a high school freshman thinking I'd never use it. "That's secretarial sissy stuff!" Of course that was before the PC and liberation movements. Boy, was I wrong! Now I'm what I call a chicken typist pecking with two fingers on the keyboard. :D

Is this so she leaves you alone longer? :p

Must have high rez? Which model is it? I really enjoy my Lumia 1520 @ 1080x1920. :)

BTW, how is that Lumia working out for you? Did you get the 8.1 update yet?

Hi there

After over 30 years of using computers I finally decided to take the plunge and go on a Typing course. I was a Two Finger Eyes on the Keyboard guy all those years -- in spite of the fact I can (according to friends|) play the Piano decently.

Boy was that the most difficult course I've ever been on -- including those on some sophisticated Engineering topics - but believe it or not -- it was well worth it.

We had some standard QWERTY keyboards which didn't have letters on the keys but colours - but after a couple of lessons it started to become OK. I was the OLDEST by far in the class but some of the younger women made it all worth while !!!

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Lol, Jim! I may just have to do the same. :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling