Microsoft Says You’re Getting Used to Windows 8

Microsoft Has Been Watching, and It Says You’re Getting Used to Windows 8

Despite some of the more scathing reviews of Windows 8, ordinary users are getting along with it just fine, according to Julie Larson-Green, the Microsoft executive who leads Windows product development. Data collected automatically from some Windows users, she says, show they are adjusting to some of the new operating system’s controversial features without problems.

“So far we’re seeing very encouraging things,” Larson-Green says of the large volume of data that Microsoft receives every day from people using Windows 8 who have chosen to join the company’s “customer experience improvement program.” All users are invited to enroll in that program when they first log into the new operating system. If they do so, anonymized information about how they are using the operating system is sent to Microsoft. Referring to complaints from some quarters, Larson-Green says: “Even with the rumblings, we feel confident that it’s a moment in time more than an actual problem.”

Source

A Guy

Yet, they will think W8's Metro is more cool than old fashioned Vista-looking 7. At least they reckon that Windows is coming up with something that is visualy new and worth including in fashion trends.
The future of the OS will be decided by couturiers.

I hope MS is going to give the fruit company and the android mob a run for their money but (going over old ground yet again) I think they have alienated a fair number of their existing Win7 users by not giving them a choice of UI at install time - but what would I know - I'm not paid zillions of $$$'s in a market research company. I have Win8 installed on my laptop dual booting with Win7 and yes, I did bomb it back to the future with classic shell but I really cannot see the point for my needs.

So each to their own. If Win8 works for you then fine, if not stick with Win7/Vista or whatever works for you. There isn't a right or wrong on this. If folks want to spend money on Apple gear then, well, it's their money so what they do with it is entirely up to them. What Win8 has managed to achieve though is polarization of thinking which is kinda sad.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
I don't think this even makes sense for her to use as a way to market windows 8. She's basically reporting nothing. Obviously people will get used to it. They have no choice if they use windows 8 it's not like they will suddenly change it with a patch or something so they will either need to learn how to use it or they won't use it at all. Windows 8 includes a tablet side to things. They also remade the desktop in ways that don't benefit the user. Users in general will be curious of the tablet side of things as that is now the first thing you see. I'm pretty sure the curiosity will get them to explore which will adjust the user. I wish the desktop made more sense design wise then people wouldn't even need to get used to it.

My Computer

Like everything else, you get used to it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom built
    CPU
    AMD FX-6300
    Motherboard
    ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0