Microsoft Says You’re Getting Used to Windows 8

Microsoft Has Been Watching, and It Says You’re Getting Used to Windows 8

Despite some of the more scathing reviews of Windows 8, ordinary users are getting along with it just fine, according to Julie Larson-Green, the Microsoft executive who leads Windows product development. Data collected automatically from some Windows users, she says, show they are adjusting to some of the new operating system’s controversial features without problems.

“So far we’re seeing very encouraging things,” Larson-Green says of the large volume of data that Microsoft receives every day from people using Windows 8 who have chosen to join the company’s “customer experience improvement program.” All users are invited to enroll in that program when they first log into the new operating system. If they do so, anonymized information about how they are using the operating system is sent to Microsoft. Referring to complaints from some quarters, Larson-Green says: “Even with the rumblings, we feel confident that it’s a moment in time more than an actual problem.”

Source

A Guy

that's the thing, give people enough time and information on the start screen and they end up liking it, just like your dad tw33k.

Labeeman there is a simple reason for the user disparity...windows 7 is simply that good an os that many won't upgrade when they don't need to, given that those that went to 7 were coming from either xp(dated) or vista(a bad reputation) windows 8 doesn't offer as a big an improvment over 7 for those users to change.

not to mention that windows 7 will be getting the direct x 11.1 update there is even less reason to upgrade for some users that would have needed that or wanted it.

now tell me again why the sales figures mean something?

your logic is people aren't buying this years model of car because it's not as good as last years model, when in actual fact there is little reason for them to change.

edit: i'm currently using both, i have both windows 8 pro installed and windows 7 pro, i mostly use 7 while i wait for windows 8 updates to stabilse some minor aspects that aren't working right on my system.

Microsoft is bragging about there sales figure but the usage rates are not sowing up on the internet to support that claim.
I also run windows 7 on my desktop and windows 8 on my laptop and will be waiting for the changes to see what transpires.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    System Manufacturer/Model
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
I believe the sales figures initially are driven by the low upgrade specials. I suspect some even bought it because it was cheap, and have yet to even try it. A Guy

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Home x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    INTEL Core i5-750
    Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D
    Memory
    KINGSTON HyperX Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27MP33HQ 32" IPS LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB, 2 x SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda® 7200.12, SATA 3 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache
    PSU
    ANTEC TruePower New TP-550, 80 PLUS®, 550W
    Case
    ANTEC Three Hundred Illusion
    Cooling
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus, 3 x 120mm 1 x 140mm Case
    Internet Speed
    20 + Mbps
    Browser
    Vivaldi
    Antivirus
    Avast
A public stock-traded corporation such as Microsoft (M.S.F.T) cannot lie about such figures, otherwise they would be in deep doodoo. The figures they state are, in fact, true. As of November 28, 40 million copies have been sold. I suspect it is much higher now. The figures also show that it is outpacing Windows 7 in a time frame aspect.

I agree with Bill. A lot of people may have purchased it while the deal is yet on, although the low upgrade price lasts through January. Perhaps they're thinking they won't take the time to install due to their busyness of the Holidays. Some may also be sitting on it until further updates so as to work out the bugs. Some members here who don't care for it stated they'll buy a copy just to have it.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
At first the new Start menu had me scratching my head, but I started to sort it out. Now I have installed Classic Shell, and am back to booting to my Win7 desktop and programs, etc, but with the Win8 goodness underneath. Yesterday I even found the 8GadgetPack and have my gadgets back on the desktop. Can't do without the Upcoming Birthdays gadget; might forget the wife's without it!

So I am now completely happy with Win8. It's installed on two different desktops and one laptop, all as upgrades of Win7 installations (yes I know you shouldn't do that) but with Win8 it just works!

Bob Frost

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8
I heard today a UK bank will be purchasing windows 8 pro tablets for staff, that was from a senior member of that bank so apparently sales aren't even going to be slowing down.

as i've said in other posts windows 8 pro and the tablets it will be running on will be very attractive to the commercial markets far more so than the consumer market, the sheer power and flexibility offered by a full desktop o/s with all it's native networking abilities make it an ideal choice.

the thing is, the classic shell is a handy little app, it is good i'm not going to take anything away from it, but over time more will become accustom to the start screen in windows 8 and not need or want any addons to get that start menu back.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
I remember people complaining every time M$ releases a new version of Windows, from Windows 1, (remember MSDOS Executive?)Windows 3.11, Windows for Workgroups, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Millennium, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and now Windows 8.... Like clockwork... People screamed when MSDOS 6 was replaced and every time people get used to the new OS, then scream when it's replaced in a few years... Nobody is forcing you to upgrade...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built Intel i7-3770k-based system
    CPU
    Intel i7-3770k, Overclocked to 4.6GHz (46x100) with Corsair H110i GT cooler
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 OC Formula 2.30 BIOS
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 2133 Corsair Vengeance Pro
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GTX 980ti SC ACS 6GB DDR5 by EVGA
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD, Corsair SP2500 speakers and subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27EA33 [Monitor] (27.2"vis) HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (system drive)
    WD 6TB Red NAS hard drives x 2 in Storage Spaces (redundancy)
    PSU
    Corsair 750ax fully modular power supply with sleeved cables
    Case
    Corsair Air 540 with 7 x 140mm fans on front, rear and top panels
    Cooling
    Corsair H110i GT liquid cooled CPU with 4 x 140" Corsair SP "push-pull" and 3 x 140mm fans
    Keyboard
    Thermaltake Poseidon Z illuminated keyboard
    Mouse
    Corsair M65 wired
    Internet Speed
    85MBps DSL
    Browser
    Chrome and Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro and CCleaner Pro
    Other Info
    Client of Windows Server 2012 R2 10 PC's, laptops and smartphones on the WLAN.

1GBps Ethernet ports
I was fine going from 95 to 98 to 2k, to XP and then to 7. The only releases I have not liked are Vista and 8. I completely missed ME, except for support at error and it was really not much of a problem.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
MS did claim 40m had been sold.

What does it mean?

Does it mean 40m people have bought, installed and are using - or does it mean those are sales to wholesalers - who will try and shift them over the next two or three months - or does it mean something else entirely.

Seems strange there are claims it is outselling win7.

I don't know a single person who has bought a copy ( apart from me ).

I also don't know a single person who has bought a win 8 device.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

What does it mean?

Does it mean 40m people have bought, installed and are using - or does it mean those are sales to wholesalers - who will try and shift them over the next two or three months - or does it mean something else entirely.

sales listings like that are activated licences by users, wholesalers/shops aren't included those are actual sales....that would be fraud if they gave a false report like that as it would be classed as market manipulation.

nearly a month has passed since that was released it could be well over 100 million this month for all i know...or 50 million.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
What makes you think that means licenses activated by users?

In what sense would it be fraud.

If MS have sold them - they can call it a sale.

Even if they were sales to wholesalers stocking up for the next few months. MS might even have included the deals they have done to supply European schools with devices at a very low price. The deal is done - it doesn't matter if they won't be delivered for a long while - it doesn't matter if they make no profit - MS can still call it a sale.

We have no way of knowing what that actually means.

One thing you can be sure of is that MS are going to make it sound as good as possible.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Friend of mine bought a Windows 8 machine, with the intention of installing Linux on it (he is an android programmer). Took him nearly 20 hours to get around the stupid Secure Boot functionality. He was livid.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I thought it was supposed to be simple to turn it off.

Obviously not.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes

What does it mean?

sales listings like that are activated licences by users, wholesalers/shops aren't included those are actual sales....that would be fraud if they gave a false report like that as it would be classed as market manipulation.

nearly a month has passed since that was released it could be well over 100 million this month for all i know...or 50 million.

Market manipulation has been going on since time began. Even the motor manufacturers are at it, month in month out with their pre-registered vehicles so they can claim sales and bump up their market share. Technically the cars have been sold but not as we understand it. For all I know many of those 40m are internal sales from one MS dept to another for the Surface - who knows - only time will tell. Maybe they are just promises for the future. Boeing and Airbus claim every year to have received orders for X number of aircraft but only seem to end up delivering Y number. Many of the orders are never fulfilled.

Once the true figures come in from the web stats as to who is using what to browse the web then maybe things will start to make more sense.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
What makes you think that means licenses activated by users?

In what sense would it be fraud.

If MS have sold them - they can call it a sale.

Even if they were sales to wholesalers stocking up for the next few months. MS might even have included the deals they have done to supply European schools with devices at a very low price. The deal is done - it doesn't matter if they won't be delivered for a long while - it doesn't matter if they make no profit - MS can still call it a sale.

We have no way of knowing what that actually means.

One thing you can be sure of is that MS are going to make it sound as good as possible.

Hi there

Agreed

You can BUY a product and NEVER EVER use it. As far as the seller is concerned it's a SALE whether you use it or toss it in the trashcan.

I've "Downgraded" 3 computers to W7 -- but that doesn't mean those 3 copies of W8 which are destined for a one way trip to the trashcan don't count as 3 sales -- they DO.

BTW the computers came with Windows 8 and all the OEM bloatware and crapware --- if I were installing W8 on my own machine and needed retail rather than TechNet - I'd get the PRO version and remove the OEM version.

W8 *may* be OK for Ms -- Ms doesn't worry about NEXT week or even Q1 2013. Unlike a lot of US corporations it thinks reasonably long term which is why its stock price has been relatively stable for years and still pays a dividend -- (If you play the markets actually selling CALL and PUT Weekly options on very stable shares like MSFT is better than Buy and Hold -- Ideal share for this purpose -- that however is a different topic as this isn't a market traders Forum !!).

I still think though the menuing system with those tiles doesn't work for some desktop users - especially when multi-monitors are used - and where you need loads of concurrent windows open when running complex apps like Visual Studio, photoshop, etc.

However time will tell.

People who basically are using their computers rather like a tablet find W8 fine -- no prob with that -- W8 is essential an OS for MOBILE devices with a touchscreen - not a classic desktop. That said more and more people tend to use computers like mobile devices these days anyway. Ms isn't as stupid as a lot of people seem to think.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I feel quite used to my release preview and now it feels strange if I go onto a Windows 7 machine. But I always have the thingy that Microsoft uses to gather user stats turned off. Im looking forward to getting windows 8 pro next week hopefully. I already have the media center key to upgrade it. So I can start the new year with my new opreating system

:thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
I used to consider myself a Windows 8 sceptic person because all the usuall critics ==> I'm a power user; can't work without a startmenu; don't have a touch screen etc. ....Until the release date came. I raced home from work, bought myself an upgrade copy and actually started using Windows 8.

Now I can honestly say that I LOVE Windows 8!!! I think it is the next evolutionary step in the Windows OS lifetime. It even made me buy the new Windows Phone :D.

Loving every minute I spend in front of my computer!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Media Center Edition
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Made
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 750
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD 7750
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Iiyama ProLite B2481HS-B1
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1x 120 GB SSD Samsung 830;
    1x 1.5 TB HDD Seagate;
    1x 2 TB HDD Western Digital;
    1x 3 TB HDD Seagate
    1x 80 GB SSD Vertex 2
    PSU
    Corsair CX 600
    Case
    Corsair Carbide 300R with Side Window
    Cooling
    Intel RTS2011 LC
    Keyboard
    DasKeyboard (blue switches)
    Mouse
    Wacom Baboo Tablet Pen & Touch
    Internet Speed
    50 Mbit FullDuplex Fiberglass
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    I also own the following Microsoft devices:
    * Surface Pro 2 128 GB
    * Windows Phone HTC 8X
I upgraded my household of eight people family room computer to Windows 8.
I really got tired of my constantly having to explain, hand hold and figure out issues, even after purchasing the Start8 program. Stayed on 8 about a month until I finally threw in the towel and went back to the comfort of windows 7.
I'll probably go back one day, but not today.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 64
I'll just ignore Windows 8 for as long as I can. It's not Windows 8 that worries me though, skipping a Windows version is no big deal. I'm more worried about their intentions for the next Windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass
    Computer type
    Laptop
Back