Microsoft Says You’re Getting Used to Windows 8

Microsoft Has Been Watching, and It Says You’re Getting Used to Windows 8

Despite some of the more scathing reviews of Windows 8, ordinary users are getting along with it just fine, according to Julie Larson-Green, the Microsoft executive who leads Windows product development. Data collected automatically from some Windows users, she says, show they are adjusting to some of the new operating system’s controversial features without problems.

“So far we’re seeing very encouraging things,” Larson-Green says of the large volume of data that Microsoft receives every day from people using Windows 8 who have chosen to join the company’s “customer experience improvement program.” All users are invited to enroll in that program when they first log into the new operating system. If they do so, anonymized information about how they are using the operating system is sent to Microsoft. Referring to complaints from some quarters, Larson-Green says: “Even with the rumblings, we feel confident that it’s a moment in time more than an actual problem.”

Source

A Guy

MS did claim 40m had been sold.

What does it mean?

Does it mean 40m people have bought, installed and are using - or does it mean those are sales to wholesalers - who will try and shift them over the next two or three months - or does it mean something else entirely.

Seems strange there are claims it is outselling win7.

I don't know a single person who has bought a copy ( apart from me ).

I also don't know a single person who has bought a win 8 device.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/24/t...crosofts-windows-8-point-to-shaky-market.html

The clearest evidence of Windows 8’s disappointing introduction comes from the research firm NPD, which estimates that sales of Windows machines have actually dropped from a year ago.
According to NPD, stores in the United States sold 13 percent fewer Windows devices from late October, when Windows 8 made its debut, through the first week in December, than in the same period last year.

I am surprised. While I've maintained as long as I've been here that Windows 8 would be failure, I thought there would be at least some initial sales before it died. Apparently, it's stillborn.

The company says it sold 40 million copies of Windows 8 during its first month on the market, a figure that includes upgrade discs sold to consumers and copies installed on new machines by PC makers.

I don't think that 40M is anything close to real. I think there's likely a boatload of Windows 8 licenses that were counted loaded on machines that haven't sold. The rest of it would be the initial sales I was expecting, and I expect it is a spike more than a slow start.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
Yes, after an ad campaign costing in excess of $2bn allegedly, and the fact this is the peak buying season - it could hardly be much worse.

When MS say people are getting used to win8 - maybe they mean people are getting used to leaving it on the shelf.

Not surprising - Xmas is a bad time for Turkeys.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Yes, after an ad campaign costing in excess of $2bn allegedly, and the fact this is the peak buying season - it could hardly be much worse.

When MS say people are getting used to win8 - maybe they mean people are getting used to leaving it on the shelf.

Not surprising - Xmas is a bad time for Turkeys.
Haven't posted for awhile, as this forum seems more like a W8 M$ promotional blog by the "faithful" and is repetitive and boring.
:roflmao:However couldn't let your post go by without a couple of well earned roflmaos:roflmao:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
OK so I'm one of your bog standard users, I have nothing against the OS and use both 7 and 8. My desktop runs 7 and I bought a Laptop which came with 8 and I'm using that more than the desktop and have no problems with it.

I don't have 3rd party apps installed so I can have a Start button I haven't missed it, I have it set so I'm logged in automatically and have my most used programs pinned to the Start Screen so I can just click one and I'm away using it, that goes for my forums as well, although not all of them. I've changed the screens to my colours and have the desktop showing the Bing page of the day, although I was using a theme before and may go back to using one in the future.

I don't have everything transferred over to 8 yet but do have it joined to my network so it's part of the family and I can check on stuff on the other computers in the house.

The only thing I have changed is attaching a mouse to the Laptop, I got on with the touchpad OK but for me it's much quicker and easier with a mouse, I found a spare one among my spare parts yesterday and plugged that in.

I like it, OK there are still things that can confuse me, alright that doesn't take much to do, but all in all I like the OS and as it's new would rather learn to use it as a new OS rather than try to make look and work like an old one. ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32 bit/ Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Zoostorm/ Asus K55A Notebook
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2400 MHz
    Motherboard
    Foxconn 45CMX/45GMX/45CMX-K
    Memory
    2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM)/8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Corp 82945G Integrated Graphics Controller
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hanns.G HH221 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    ExcelStor (250GB)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (UK)
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Just under 4MB download it's ADSL.
    Other Info
    Epson Stylus SX415 All-in-one Printer,
    Seagate Expansion 500GB External Desktop Drive
"Microsoft says......." ....I stopped reading right after that....:thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Of course that's what MS says. Newsflash, "My laptop is not a cellphone!" Can't believe Microsoft created such a user-unfriendly OS and is still WAAAAAYYYYY behind Apple in the idea department. Whoever dreamed up the "App" experiment should actually talk to people sometimes because they seem to be living in a cave with only an iPhone to keep them company.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
You know what is really sad? apple seems to be copying/integrating the clean modern metro design into itunes 11. Just saw it in the flesh, I was livid.

Even more disturbing, google is doing a similar thing.

Even more interesting is how that people that don't like or believe in Windows 8 REFUSE to believe anything good about it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
You know what is really sad? apple seems to be copying/integrating the clean modern metro design into itunes 11. Just saw it in the flesh, I was livid.

Even more interesting is how that people that don't like or believe in Windows 8 REFUSE to believe anything good about it.

So it must be a good interface for tablets and maybe that's why they all apply it.
But people seem to be upset about forcing it into the desktop as well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.

So it must be a good interface for tablets and maybe that's why they all apply it.

No, this is itunes 11 on the desktop for Windows and mac os. I imagine it looks like a sore thumb on mac os as it doesn't match the overall UI design of it.

google did the same thing with YouTube in how it poorly scaled on large desktop monitors and nicely on tablets. What OS can render the desktop version of YouTube correctly without issue? Windows 8. That, along with a tablet PC makes the redesign work. I haven't checked if they fixed that though.

But it's not just itunes on the desktop, it's also the crap designed ipod app on ios, messaging, and appstore and itunes. It seems apple must be comprehending the metro design as white and black, when it's not. Even my friend commented on that, she's not concerned with technology at all! The huge and most significant ingredient apple doesn't understand is digital motion of the UI. google on the other hand kind of gets it.

Fiends.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

No, this is itunes 11 on the desktop for Windows and mac os. I imagine it looks like a sore thumb on mac os as it doesn't match the overall UI design of it.

google did the same thing with YouTube in how it poorly scaled on large desktop monitors and nicely on tablets. What OS can render the desktop version of YouTube correctly without issue? Windows 8. That, along with a tablet PC makes the redesign work. I haven't checked if they fixed that though.

But it's not just itunes on the desktop, it's also the crap designed ipod app on ios, messaging, and appstore and itunes. It seems apple must be comprehending the metro design as white and black, when it's not. Even my friend commented on that, she's not concerned with technology at all! The huge and most significant ingredient apple doesn't understand is digital motion of the UI. google on the other hand kind of gets it.

Fiends.

Gray or black and white only is crap. Sorry,no offense... but I wonder: why do our monitors have to be 32bit color if you only use just a few for the interface. Metro's got some color but also got rid of Vista/7 gradients... BUT they removed 16bit resolutions and only allow 32 ones. A lot of awkward changes occurred the last years.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.

Fiends.

Gray or black and white only is crap. Sorry,no offense... but I wonder: why do our monitors have to be 32bit color if you only use just a few for the interface. Metro's got some color but also got rid of Vista/7 gradients... BUT they removed 16bit resolutions and only allow 32 ones. A lot of awkward changes occurred the last years.

That's a question to be asked for apple. What makes them think that black, white, grey and blue are fantastically great colors is beyond me.

The metro design is revolved around the use of color on either a dark or light or rich background. Overall though, Windows 8 compared to macs is comparing a box of crayons versus a box of grey crayons. LOADS more color, lots of digital motion (no wobbly windows) and lots of clean and fairly consistent design. Even with ios, there mixed elements of old design and new design that makes things inconsistent where Windows Phone and even android is more consistent.

Speaking of such and on a real unrelated note, the Windows Blue update may actually further refine the Desktop, probably will chuck out the Areo iconography. Too gross.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
The metro design is revolved around the use of color on either a dark or light or rich background. Overall though, Windows 8 compared to macs is comparing a box of crayons versus a box of grey crayons.

Agree. Color says it all. :thumb: Why not use it if monitor supports it!

Speaking of such and on a real unrelated note, the Windows Blue update may actually further refine the Desktop, probably will chuck out the Areo iconography. Too gross.

Let's hope so.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
MS said:
“So far we’re seeing very encouraging things,” Larson-Green says of the large volume of data that Microsoft receives every day from people using Windows 8 who have chosen to join the company’s “customer experience improvement program.”
If that's the same stat collection which told them that they can get rid of the Start Menu, then they can keep this comment for themselves.
Anyway what Microsoft is saying is irrelevant. They don't want to read the opinion of the poeple, so they shouldn't expect us to read theirs.
Coke Robot said:
You know what is really sad? apple seems to be copying/integrating the clean modern metro design into itunes 11. Just saw it in the flesh, I was livid. Even more disturbing, google is doing a similar thing. Even more interesting is how that people that don't like or believe in Windows 8 REFUSE to believe anything good about it.
You know what? I think that this new W8 style is not a question of more readability, cleanliness or even taste. It's a fashion.
It's a fashion launched by Microsoft and because they make incredible advertising campain about it and because you see it everywhere, this fashion is there and other companies have to follow suit.
IMO I still feel it's ugly, no matter what the industry decided what the fashion will be.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
I am not sure anybody is copying from w8.

Why would anyone in their right mind copy from a product that is doing so badly ( atm at least )?

Cokie, I don't suppose you realise the feeling at Apple has been their ui is a bit fussy for a long while - at least since Mike Mace was doing platform marketing there.

I expect they hadn't done anything about previously as there was so much else to concentrate on with new launches.

Now they are in a period of product life extension, they can start doing those things.

More important now, in fact.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

It's a fashion launched by Microsoft and because they make incredible advertising campain about it and because you see it everywhere, this fashion is there and other companies have to follow suit.
IMO I still feel it's ugly, no matter what the industry decided what the fashion will be.

My daughter goes one further and believes anything sold by the fruit company is a lifestyle choice (plus of course a fashion accessory) - forget whether it's any better than their last product and does what it's needed for. Must have the latest (not necessarily the best). LOL

Now I hope MS are not going to fall into that category. :roflmao:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
Both my new laptop and my dad's new desktop came with Windows 8 preinstalled. Neither I nor my dad are using the Start screen, ever. I haven't even bothered looking for apps that might appeal to me. I avoid touchscreens like the plague because display quality versus cost matters to me, I hate fatty fingerprints on my screen, and the mouse is over a dozen times more accurate, as well as more ergonomically relaxing. I don't use the touchpad of my laptop unless I am forced to, for similar reasons.
Anything that doesn't require going fullscreen shouldn't go fullscreen, hence I am using the Classic Start Menu of Classic Shell. Media Center and Windows Media Player is just bloatware compared to Media Player Classic HomeCinema (using LAV Splitter and madVR renderer) and foobar2000. So, basically, I got used to Windows 8 virtually the same way I got used to all other Windows versions, namely by either skipping them entirely or by fixing them. Fixing them, McGyver-style.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus R510L
    CPU
    i7 4510U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 820M
    Sound Card
    Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC Supreme; Emotiva UMC-200; Astell & Kern AK240
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 42LH5000
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    1TB internal; 45TB external
    PSU
    Li-ion
    Keyboard
    Logitech K800
    Mouse
    Logitech G400
    Internet Speed
    20Mbit/s up, 200Mbit/s down
    Browser
    IE 11
mart said:
My daughter goes one further and believes anything sold by the fruit company is a lifestyle choice (plus of course a fashion accessory) - forget whether it's any better than their last product and does what it's needed for. Must have the latest (not necessarily the best). LOL
Exactely! Most of the youth function like that. They think you'r an old fart if you don't have the last stuff. They think you are a bum if you don't have a fruit logo on the lad. (Part of the reason why MS is not even denting the tablet market.) Windows PC is symbol of the cheap choice, of the one who can't afford or of the nerd who don't want to be cool even when we told him so.
Yet, they will think W8's Metro is more cool than old fashioned Vista-looking 7. At least they reckon that Windows is coming up with something that is visualy new and worth including in fashion trends.
The future of the OS will be decided by couturiers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me