Microsoft hide Metro start screen w/ Windows 8.1 Update 1?

There are reports circulating, including this January 30 one from The Verge, that Microsoft may be poised to hide its Metro Start Screen with Windows 8.1 Update 1, by turning on by default the boot-to-desktop setting.

However, I'm hearing this may not end up being the case by the time Windows 8.1 Update 1 begins to be made available to users preloaded on new PCs and pushed via Windows Update. (That rollout is supposedly starting in mid-March.)

Windows watcher may recall that after refusing outright to include a boot-to-desktop setting with Windows 8.0, Microsoft conceded with Windows 8.1 and added boot-to-desktop option to its operating system

Read more at: Microsoft to hide Metro start screen with Windows 8.1 Update 1? | ZDNet

See also: http://www.eightforums.com/windows-8-news/40043-windows-8-1-update-1-everything-we-know-so-far.html

My point was, that in the past you clicked the orb to bring up the old start menu. So new users seeing the orb would click it, that's all. The option to boot to desktop has been there since the 8.1 update. All they did was toggle the default to boot to desktop. For all we know its just a test and they will flip it back to what it is now. I really don't see why your making such a big deal about this.

I am making a big deal about this because IF Windows automatically defaults to the desktop,
then the desktop is where the menuing tool should be. Ok, so the taskbar and desktop can be configured to launch programs, but NOW the desktop becomes the focal point. It is a misdirection of purposes.

If one boots to the start or apps, that is the focal point, It's like a crossroads, you can go in either direction.
It is also true, that the desktop can be closed from the UI on the surface, and the metro UI cannot.
The metro UI is the system shell. It is the center.
Now they're saying, we're going back to make the desktop the center. Fine, but clicking the new and improved start button takes one to the metro UI then for desktop ONLY users, that new and improved hoax of a button will have to be disabled.

Which takes me to the beginning, Microsoft doesn't care a flip if people are required by preference to install a desktop menu.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
My point was, that in the past you clicked the orb to bring up the old start menu. So new users seeing the orb would click it, that's all. The option to boot to desktop has been there since the 8.1 update. All they did was toggle the default to boot to desktop. For all we know its just a test and they will flip it back to what it is now. I really don't see why your making such a big deal about this.

I am making a big deal about this because IF Windows automatically defaults to the desktop,
then the desktop is where the menuing tool should be. Ok, so the taskbar and desktop can be configured to launch programs, but NOW the desktop becomes the focal point. It is a misdirection of purposes.

If one boots to the start or apps, that is the focal point, It's like a crossroads, you can go in either direction.
It is also true, that the desktop can be closed from the UI on the surface, and the metro UI cannot.
Now they're saying, we're going back to make the desktop the center. Fine, but clicking the new and improved start button takes one to the metro UI then for desktop ONLY users, that new and improved hoax of a button will have to be disabled.

Which takes me to the beginning, Microsoft doesn't care a flip if people are required by preference to install a desktop menu.

The menu tool is there, click the orb and you'll see it. < That wasn't meant to be sarcastic by the way. Who said that new and improved hoax of a button will have to be disabled? You said it yourself, installing a desktop menu is a personal preference. So why force one on you if you decide to boot to desktop instead of metro? I don't want it, or need it, and I boot to desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2

Ahh Md, I see your point. Mind you, we can still pin stuff the the taskbar, put shortcuts on the desktop, and look stuff up under explorer, but THERE STILL WILL NO LONGER BE a menu, like the old Start menu was. So we have to go back to the start MENU screen to run a program, what the poor user was trying to AVOID by booting directly into the desktop. Again, MS is asking a lot from users to create their OWN way of navigating around the two distinct and completely different ways of handling programs. Now any sort of moderately savvy user can quickly fix this impasse, but for the rest of humanity, I am not so sure...
This is NOT a solution or even much of a help. All MS is doing is clicking a box for us.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
The Start Screen isn't all that different in functionality from your desktop with shortcut icons pinned to it. It may not look as good to some users but it works the same way. I do see why some want the old style start menu back but I thought this was a separate issue from the Boot To Desktop option? Like I've already said, its been around for a while.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Just to add to the discussion in a meaningful way, when I was playing with 8, I did not like how when I would open an .mp3 or .jpg or even .pdf, it would pop up that thing in the top right saying "You have new apps that can open this" or similar.

I am sure you guys figured out a way to to disable that and perhaps it only happens one time initially (I forget by now) - but it was still grrrrr. lol

Maybe it did go away when setting default associations to what you want, but still....

Edit: Found this how to disable - http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26244-new-app-installed-notification-disable-windows-8-a.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Pentium D 925 3.0 GHz socket 775, Presler @ ~ 3.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Hyundai 2 GB DDR2 @ 333 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS DirectCU II HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5 Radeon HD 7790 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    stock Gateway cooling, extra large fan in rear of case
    Keyboard
    Alienware/Microsoft Internet kb
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Optimum Online, fast for US
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky integrated into ZoneAlarm+Antivirus
How is this.

Create a Metro app that runs in desktop mode that shows all the icons you see on the Windows 8 Start (Metro) Menu
but in an old Windows 95/98/XP/7 style Start Menu. The user then can pin that app to the taskbar to use it straight
from the desktop mode. This way those like myself that prefer the current Start Menu won't even have to bother with
that app or pinning it to the desktop.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Nokia Lumia 2520
    CPU
    Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 800
    Memory
    2GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    10.1"
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    32GB SSD
    Case
    Asus Case
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wedge Keyboard
    Mouse
    Bornd Bluetooth Mouse
    Browser
    IE 11
What's the problem here? I love the metro screen at boot but you know what? When the update makes me boot directly to the desktop I will simply reverse it to the metro screen. It's not that big of a deal, I don't know why people are crying.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    AMD FX 8150 3.6 Ghz Eight Core
    Motherboard
    BIOSTAR TA970XE AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    Memory
    16GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    R9 280X 3GB Dual X OC Edition
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster S20B350
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    1 Terabyte
    PSU
    Coolermaster 700W