Solved Jump Drive with Win 8.1 pro will not install on new ssd

I missed something...when I click create it wants to download an Windows.iso how do I get the Winpayload file back?

I shouldn't have deleted all the zip files also. Get me started back and I can use your "Create Wim Iso. as my guide.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
You renamed winpayload.esd.decrypt to install.esd - where did you put that file? C:\temp? yes because you ran the createwiniso program and it almost finished twice..

Then according to your post(s) you create a x64 folder and copied it there and you said you also hade it on your desktop,, then in another post (because someone did not know what was going on) you stated you deleted the temp files and zip files..

So I have no clue where you are at - but you need to get back to where you were before..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
create recovery media

then run the windows 8.1 media tool

find that appdata \ \ download folder

copy the decrypt file

rename decrypt file and place in c\temp

extract createiso.zip and copy those files to c\temp

run the createwimiso command

double click to mount the new ISO image the program created

run image prep

open the sources folder on the recovery media usb and delete all the files within that sources folder

copy the two new wim files from c\temp (install and boot) to the sources folder on the recovery media usb

copy the two needed config files to the sources folder on the recovery media usb - depending on bios or uefi boot

boot from recovery media usb on the SSD PC and select "reset windows 8.1"

that's it in a nut shell..

And all the info and files and program are all within this thread..

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
What is happening here:

Ashampoo_Snap_2014.12.04_14h01m27s_001_Administrator- C--WINDOWS-system32-cmd-exe.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
open the CBS log file - found in the windows directory

and if you read the red txt - it says the program is not recognized or found - and you admitted to removing the file

as the program script only runs DISM commands

DISM Image Management Command-Line Options

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
C:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
I am to tired tonight to do this...couldn't sleep last night. Thanks, maybe tomorrow we can work this.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I'm not sure I'm following this thread exactly, but I'll offer my suggestion based on an assumption of a fresh install on an SSD.

Create the install media using Option One in:http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/18309-windows-8-windows-8-1-iso-download-create.html#post178858

I strongly suggest using a DVD to avoid the filesystem issue with a thumb drive. If the thumb drive is NOT fat32, the install will fail when UEFI is involved. If you must use a thumb drive, see http://www.eightforums.com/tutorial...sb-flash-drive-create-windows.html#post158083 which is referenced in : http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2299-clean-install-windows-8-a.html

Do not create any partitions on the SSD, let the install do all of that. In other words, delete all partitions at install time so that there is only unallocated space. Select the unallocated space to install Win8.1

12959d1355687113-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windows-8-a-step7.jpg

Everything else can be accomplished once you have the base install completed.

but since you've invested time in the process already provided in this thread - don't change horses mid-stream.

Bill

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro | Win10TP Pro - boot to VHD
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion dv6-c610us
    CPU
    AMD VISION A6-3420M Quad-Core (2.4GHz/1.5GHz)
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6520G Discrete-Class Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP 2072a (20" LED)
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 640GB (5400 RPM)
    Seagate 2 TB external
    WD 500 GB external
    Keyboard
    Logitech K520 (wireless bundle)
    Mouse
    Logitech M310 (wireless bundle)
    Browser
    IE 11 (default) & Pale Moon
    Other Info
    HP product specs:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv6-6c00-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/5191856/model/5218495/document/c03138553/
Thanks Bill...I see you agree not to copy tp a flash drive the we are attempting. I am not as well versed in windows as some of you people and i appreiate other opinions.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Take your time and follow one path - KYHI is giving you good directions.

If you end up banging up against a brick wall on that path, try the different approach. I'm subscribed to this thread, so when I log on I can check it for new posts and watch the progression. I'll jump back in only if necessary.

Good luck,

Bill

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro | Win10TP Pro - boot to VHD
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Pavilion dv6-c610us
    CPU
    AMD VISION A6-3420M Quad-Core (2.4GHz/1.5GHz)
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6520G Discrete-Class Graphics
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP 2072a (20" LED)
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 640GB (5400 RPM)
    Seagate 2 TB external
    WD 500 GB external
    Keyboard
    Logitech K520 (wireless bundle)
    Mouse
    Logitech M310 (wireless bundle)
    Browser
    IE 11 (default) & Pale Moon
    Other Info
    HP product specs:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv6-6c00-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/5191856/model/5218495/document/c03138553/
Thanks Bill...I see you agree not to copy tp a flash drive the we are attempting. I am not as well versed in windows as some of you people and i appreiate other opinions.

The 'Create Media Tool' gives you two options..

Create USB media - you just insert a USB and let the tool finish - then boot your pc using setup USB

Create ISO media - right click ISO, burn to DVD - then boot your pc using setup DVD

I have been assuming since post 1 - that you have a partition issue when using DVD and USB setup media - thus we agreed to try this route..

If you could follow directions - But that don't seem to be working either - so please feel free to try other options..

What we are trying to do here is Re-Creating Bare Metal Reset / PBR Recovery Media..

Because PBR Media Applies a Windows Image rather then Setting Up Windows..

This process takes maybe an hour to - download the Setup Media - Extract and Create Decrypted ISO - Prep the Install.wim - apply those images to the Hard Drive..

Basically, you end up with all the required system partitions and a recovery partition, the same way OEM's do it..

I have done this many times - I even spent last night scripting a program that will Prep the Install.wim and Boot.wim - rather then having to copy and paste Image Prep.txt commands into a window.. It's all in a nutshell

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory