How Microsoft can salvage Windows 8 before it's too late

This is a tough challenge, given that Windows 8 is only a few months away from release. There's not a lot that Microsoft can do in this time. However, given that the Redmond giant has already gone on the record to say that the UI that we see in the Windows 8 Release Preview is not what will be in the final release, it's safe to say that things are in a certain state of flux.

As I've said on numerous occasions, the biggest problem with Windows 8 is the way that the dumbed-down Metro UI has been unceremoniously bolted onto the mature and well-refined "Classic" user interface. While there's no doubt that the existing UI is flawed, bolting on a UI designed for touch devices is not the answer.

OK, you asked me to keep this concise, so here it is. Here's how I think Microsoft should tweak Windows 8 before it's released:

Read more at:
How Microsoft can salvage Windows 8 before it's too late | ZDNet

That'll never happen. Linux is still regarded as an enthusiast's OS, consumers will either stay on Window 7 or flock to OSX and most enterprises won't touch Linux at the desktop level. Let's not forget that a majority of enterprises use Microsoft backend infrastructure that even OSX still struggles with, can't imagine the cost of implementing Linux desktops in that environment.
:ditto:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
I think you are both forgetting Mart & RobR that Linux's daddy UNIX was in the business world, including at the desktop level With X-Desktop. But when the new kid on the block entered the fray MSDOS/IBMDOS, those mainframes started to disappear replaced with smaller faster x86 machine, then after that the top layer of DOS arrived - Windows. Might as well forget about Linux EVER making an appearance. No business is going to take a water down version of UNIX, or UNIX again for that matter.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
I think you are both forgetting Mart & RobR that Linux's daddy UNIX was in the business world, including at the desktop level With X-Desktop. But when the new kid on the block entered the fray MSDOS/IBMDOS, those mainframes started to disappear replaced with smaller faster x86 machine, then after that the top layer of DOS arrived - Windows. Might as well forget about Linux EVER making an appearance. No business is going to take a water down version of UNIX, or UNIX again for that matter.

Remember when Linux was introduced Mike - it was the great hope. Probably over-hyped and I certainly 'bought' into the idea of an open source OS. Depends upon what hardware you're using but it certainly is responsive. That's where it all stops unless you just want to do some basic stuff and of course even after all this time even the media are still writing about Linux being almost ready. Been hearing and reading about that one for goodness knows how long. So in my book it's a no go.

Not sure if there are any OEM's that are still flirting with it like they were some time ago.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 & 8 64bit / Linux Mint 14
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i5 2400
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1280
    Hard Drives
    128gb SSD, 500gb SATA
    PSU
    Coolermaster
    Case
    Zalman Z7
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated wired
    Mouse
    MS Optical wireless
    Antivirus
    Avast
I agree with you Mart, and as we SEE it was a quick tasty treat for computer manufactures that THOUGHT no more license fees to Microsoft. HOW they became disenchanted with Linux when they couldn't get CHEAP help to support it. Atleast with Windows they just had to tell their customers to either call (800)MICROSOFT, or go to http://www.Microsoft.com/support to take care of the O/S they pre-installed onto their computers before shipping them to the retailers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Not sure if there are any OEM's that are still flirting with it like they were some time ago.

Yes, they are.

They really need to get on with it and develop a more user friendly distro.

It sells great on phones.

No reason why it shouldn't as a full scale o/s - if they pull their fingers and whip it into that kind of shape.

There is more incentive to do that now than there has ever been before.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

Yes, they are.

They really need to get on with it and develop a more user friendly distro.

It sells great on phones.

No reason why it shouldn't as a full scale o/s - if they pull their fingers and whip it into that kind of shape.

There is more incentive to do that now than there has ever been before.

Well that's exactly what Apple did with OSX (Though not with Linux but another small *nix package). They put a usable desktop on top of a unix core and they got commercial software companies on board so users could still be productive and companies could still make money and it worked out really well.

Google as you mentioned has brought Linux with a usable UI to the masses on phones and tablets and they have a desktop OS going but.. unfortunately it's all centered on trapping you into the google cloud universe so Chrome OS will never take the place of windows as a generic stand alone OS.

It would take some other very large company to do that again, and I think that Apple got away with it because of a built in audience and Google got away with the phones because it was a new universe with flocks of new users. I'm not sure the same CAN be done for the generic desktop universe :/ Mainly because I don't think there is any other company that cares to invest what it would take to try to unseat Windows while competing with Apple and Google all at the same time for a market that so many short sighters seem to think is "disappearing".. :/

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7/8
Current OS usage as of May 2012:

All Windows 72%
All Apple 18%
All Linux 6%
All Other 4%

So Windows has almost 2 1/2 times the users of all other OS's combined.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro ($39.99 upgrade)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel I5 3570K overclocked to 4.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77-V LX
    Memory
    Cosrair DDR3-1600 (4 x 4gb)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GT 610 2GB
    Sound Card
    None
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC 27" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x0180
    Hard Drives
    Seagate HDD 500gb (windows)
    Seagate HDD 1.5tb (media)
    Seagate HDD 1tb (media)
    Seagate HDD 1tb (media)
    PSU
    CoolMax 700watt
    Case
    Cosiar R400 Carbide series
    Cooling
    Cool Master H212
    Keyboard
    Dell
    Mouse
    PowerUp 3 button mouse
    Internet Speed
    12mb down, 1mb up
    Other Info
    qty. (5) 120mm fans, four are monitored by motherboard.
    Logitech T650 Touchpad for touch screen gestures
Not sure it is going to stay that way.

It may be that Linux will become a big player in tablets as well as phones and Servers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Current OS usage as of May 2012:

All Windows 72%
All Apple 18%
All Linux 6%
All Other 4%

So Windows has almost 2 1/2 times the users of all other OS's combined.

Apple has managed 18% share of OS usage in 13 years of existance with OSX, for a pretty popular OS that's not very good and explains why their efforts are mostly on iPods, iPads and iPhones. However, their iPads are not PC replacements but compliment their existing PCs (whether Mac or Windows) for certain activities. iPads are used in our global company and we get the same complaints from most of the users, they have to carry both a laptop now and an iPad. Windows 8 has a pretty good potential to do well in the enterprise space with the type of users that require tablets.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
Windows 8 has a pretty good potential to do well in the enterprise space with the type of users that require tablets.

Those folks must be employees that don't actually get any real work done. It is very hard to be productive with a tablet minus a real keyboard.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7 home premium 64 bit
It may be that Linux will become a big player in tablets as well as phones and Servers.
Linux already is a big player in the server market. In the grand scheme of thing, many a server room is populated with lots and lots of servers running Linux. I know in the server rooms that I manage, we have far more Linux hosts running web servers...than we have total Windows servers.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
It is very hard to be productive with a tablet minus a real keyboard.

That's true but the Surface is trying to address that with their two keyboard options, whether they'll be adequate we won't know until some hands on reviews start to...Surface.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
Interesting tidbit of news about Windows 8 on a Windows Phone 8 article...

"This change could be part of the massive shift Microsoft is taking with its entire Windows 8 operating system. The company is moving from a desktop-based to a mobile-centric operating system with its next software upgrade, and is expected to be a radical overhaul from the current Windows 7. Users will have the option of choosing between the Metro-style interface for desktops or a traditional one."

That's the first I've seen of that option being mentioned so perhaps false info? Considering the outcrys about Metro this news would be something everyone would be reporting on.

Windows Phone 8 Release Revealed: Samsung Outs ?Odyssey? and ?Marco? Devices, Features Fans Can Expect [SPECS] - International Business Times

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
Android

Google somehow screwed up the underlying Linux base of Android.

Android is infested with malware (based on multiple blog reports).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
If that is true - it is just the kind of incredibly lucky break that MS must have been praying for.

You might think nothing android is a direct MS competitor - but if it the public gets worried about it - they will be flocking to Windows.

If they have any sense -once they see win8, they will go Apple if they can afford it - or just wait it out.

From a quick google - that seems a bit alarmist , there are some deliberately infected apps. that seem to be the problem.

I don't know how many people bother with an a/v on those devices.

I believe Avast do a frre one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Yes, I am not surprised.

As android becomes more popular - of course it becomes more worthwhile for malware to target it.

I think you will find the threat comes with things people download.

You can get that with any o/s.

I suspect the typical phone/mini tablet user downloading lots of apps. is not even aware of it.

I don't see that means there is anything wrong the o/s itself.

People need to use the same care - and an a/v - just like with any other o/s.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Based on that article (and others) I would say that Android has more malware than standard Linux distros.

For the longest time Apple, and their users, have said how it's OS doesn't get virus', and successfully used that in their marketing to win over Windows users. I've said for years that they don't get virus' because their isn't a large enough user base to make it worth while to attack but their time will come. With the virus' and trojans that have come out in the past year for OSX Apple has changed it's stance and now recommends installation of AV software. Linux desktop doesn't have a large enough user base to make it worth while however Android does.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
focus.gif

My Computer

System One

• OS
    64-bit Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom self built
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K OC'd to 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS