Solved How do I restore recovery partition for 'Reset PC to work?

i think its too late for that. i did that after recovery stopped working 2 3 days ago. how did it happen? i opened my laptop to start cleaning it for dust and everything, i have 2 ssd drives and i disconnected them but i forgot(cause i was dumb) to remember which one was in which slot so i just inserted them back randomly . and they didn't work, no matter if i try to switch the order, the same thing. my luck it is i had a backup USB drive made with asus backtrack. so i taught i should use that maybe it fixes something. i didn't work with normal refresh so i went in ape mode(wipe all drives back to the factory settings with asus backtrack utility) so i ended up with 4 partitions. than i taught i should make them back like i had them before but with Manage(disk management) from my computer didn't work so i used MiniTool Partition to make my c:/ 160GB and the d:/ 300GB and my normal hard drive 967GB. when i saw it doesn't work like that i decided i need help so i ended up on this forum and i am trying to not get in too over my head and not make it worst than i already made it

My Computer

System One

• OS
1 it might be amusing sir but for me it's not i feel dumb. i never taught that taking out the 2 hard drives would do that to my recovery
2 my hard drives are 2 ssd 250 gb each and 1 hard 1T normal wd hard drive
3 i didn't have anything important on my hard drives because i saved everything on my external hard drive before i did that. so all i lost was the windows and stuff that i didn't care for
4 i don't see anything amusing in the fact that i didn't realize that taking out 2 ssd could screw my recovery partition. i don't just think i can use minitool partition, i did use it sir, because i wanted my partitions back the way they were before i factory reset my laptop. I'm not that newbie when it comes to windows and hardware problems but since i never had to deal with recovery partitions before i didn't really think to google: "can unplug you ssd to clean your laptop and put them back in wrong order can screw your recovery partition?" dumb me right?
20160215_183739.jpg20160215_183745.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
actually, I'll make a youtube video right now of myself: (ok not right now but maybe later.)

- taking out my SSD hard drives in my computer and putting in a different one,

-and then turn on computer.. get an error...

-, then take out the incorrect SSD Hard drive (with the error) and put my original SSD Hard drive back in, and it will not screw up my recovery partitions... so?? where are you getting that from?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo g750
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Some Chinese Crap..
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 755
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
i didn't get an error that's the problem my window boot up right away and everything worked all right. and then i taught well if i already cleaned the laptop lets refresh it too, that's when the error with insert media appeared for the first time. and i was well maybe i put the ssd in the wrong order so i took them out and switch them. and i got the same thing.
problem.jpg

Why would i tell you something different if that is what happened to me? i don't understand how since i didn't change my partitions or anything prior to that(besides when i got my laptop a few months ago ASUS ROG G750JZ-XS72- i don't know if it helps that, but just in case is needed) my recovery partition stops working

My Computer

System One

• OS
and are you inserting your windows CD??? and booting from that?

All you are trying to achieve is reinstalling windows.. put in a CD or make a free USB boot drive and install windows.. ??

unless you are trying to use your Factory Backup partition.. which sounds like you ruined with minitool partition or maybe formatted already..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo g750
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Some Chinese Crap..
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 755
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
no i have my partition intact(the recovery ones). i only used mini tool to add the 60 gb from shrinking c:/ to my d:/ partition since it didn't work to extend the with disk manager. it only let me shrink the c partition but not to extend d. i have the recovery usb with the windows on it i made a copy with asus backtrack when i got the laptop. what i want is to fix my recovery partition so i don't need th usb drive. this are my partitions right now
6.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo g750
    CPU
    i5
    Motherboard
    Some Chinese Crap..
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 755
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
what i want is to fix my recovery partition so i don't need th usb drive.

You have to correct (REPAIR) your windows setup - so we can Set the recovery image..

I have given you two different option to do this, but you have chosen to do neither of them...

Once you correct your System - we will correct your Factory Recovery

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
what i want is to fix my recovery partition so i don't need th usb drive.

You have to correct (REPAIR) your windows setup - so we can Set the recovery image..

I have given you two different option to do this, but you have chosen to do neither of them...

Once you correct your System - we will correct your Factory Recovery

ok sir sorry. done i reinstalled my windows with the USB drive that i made with asus backtrack so everything is fresh and unmodified. what next?

My Computer

System One

• OS
done i reinstalled my windows with the USB drive that i made with asus backtrack so everything is fresh and unmodified. what next?

If you used the Asus backtrack Recovery USB - then you should be good to go...
As I assume that is Factory Recovery - and if it is Factory Recovery - it also over-writes the Factory Recovery image and Recovery Partition...

But I have No Clue what you used as media or what was written to your HDD....

So from command prompt (admin) type

Reagentc /info

post pic...

If shows as "Disabled"

Reagentc /enable

post pic

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
thank you very much, sir. I'm sorry if I was a pain in the a... I was just mad because I didn't understand why it happened since I didn't mess with my partitions or anything and everything that I tried didn't work. and second someone on one of this thread was making fun of me(at least that's how i felt) and that didn't feel too good) it wasn't fair cause i didn't make fun of him because he doesn't know how to do a heart surgery or what medication to give to someone with tachycardia paroxysmal supraventricular. but oh well, at least, you had the necessary patient with me so i will say again thank you
the weird part is that every time i restart my pc and try to use recovery the same thing appears: "Could not find recovery environment", but as long as reagentc /enable works im fine. i forgot to mention. after i did the recovery with asus backtrack to factory settings my partitions didn't work so i did it again but this time with normal windows 8.1 bootable USB drive and just used the refresh option
1.jpg2.jpg4.jpg3.jpg

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
from what I see now - the winre recovery tools and the recovery image are properly registered for Windows Recovery...

Now you should re-create your Recovery Media...

Control Panel > Recovery > Create a Recovery Drive

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
from what I see now - the winre recovery tools and the recovery image are properly registered for Windows Recovery...

Now you should re-create your Recovery Media...

Control Panel > Recovery > Create a Recovery Drive

seems it doesn't work and it gets even weirder(partition 5 and 6)
5.jpg 6.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
Code:
Reagentc /setreimage /path \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk1\partition6\Recovery\WindowsRE\ /Target C:\Windows

reboot
then try to create recovery media via control panel

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Code:
Reagentc /setreimage /path \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk1\partition6\Recovery\WindowsRE\ /Target C:\Windows

reboot
then try to create recovery media via control panel
ok i succeed doing that. thank you KYHI for your patience with me. i still needed to refresh my pc with the usb drive to make the recovery stay active but, in the end, seems like it stays active now. the disk partitions look a little messed up but it doesn't bother me that much for now. maybe in a couple of months, i'll be back and annoy you with my newbie questions again :)
and here is a picture with my CMD
7.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
where you able to create a New Recovery Drive via Control Panel ????

I would like to see the files on the USB:\
and in USB:\Sources

2016-02-17_052549.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
You can Now Boot from that PBR Factory Recovery USB and RESET your PC back to Factory Settings.....

You should also select Only the Drive with Windows on it, Reset Partitions and Keep This PC as the format option....

Otherwise we are Done...
Enjoy!!
Kyhi

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
You can Now Boot from that PBR Factory Recovery USB and RESET your PC back to Factory Settings.....

You should also select Only the Drive with Windows on it, Reset Partitions and Keep This PC as the format option....

Otherwise we are Done...
Enjoy!!
Kyhi

thank you sir, for your help and patience with me

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
Sir kyhi. I have posted several issues like this. Im on a windows tablet with win 8.1 with bing 32 bit. I also have a problem regardig factory resetting my notebook. Can you please help me. I have a post regarding this. Please help me

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 with Bing
Back