Five reasons why Windows 8 has failed

Five reasons why Windows 8 has failed

Summary: The numbers are in and they don't lie. Windows 8 market adoption numbers are well behind Microsoft's greatest previous operating system failure, Vista.

By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols for Between the Lines
March 4, 2013 -- 18:46 GMT (10:46 PST)

Windows fans will whine, but Net Applications' desktop operating systems numbers don't lie. Windows 8's pathetic user adoption numbers can't even keep up with Vista's lousy numbers.

win8vsvista-600x365.png

Windows 8 usage can't even keep up with Vista/s poor numbers. (Data from Net Applications)

The numbers speak for themselves. Vista, universally acknowledged as a failure, actually had significantly better adoption numbers than Windows 8. At similar points in their roll-outs, Vista had a desktop market share of 4.52% compared to Windows 8's share of 2.67%. Underlining just how poorly Windows 8's adoption has gone, Vista didn't even have the advantage of holiday season sales to boost its numbers. Tablets--and not Surface RT tablets--were what people bought last December, not Windows 8 PCs.

mobileosfeb2013-v1-600x268.png

Windows 8, and its relatives Windows Phone 8 and RT, make no impression at all in the smartphone and tablet markets. (Credit: Net Applications)

Windows 8's failure is actually greater than it appears. The tablet and phone markets in 2007 were next to non-existent. Now, in a market where NPD expects tablets to out sell notebooks by year's end, neither Windows 8 nor its cousins Windows RT and Windows Phone 8 even appear on NetApplication's mobile and tablet reports for February 2013. How bad is that? Android 1.6, with is tiny 0.02% of the market, does make the list.

I predicted that Windows 8 would be dead on arrival last year, but it's flopping even more than I thought it would be. So, why has Windows 8 been such a failure? Here's my list:

see full report

Mobile Devices, especially the convertibles, are going to be the Killer App for Windows 8, because its going to introduce a lot of people to the touch UI that Windows 8 introduced that they never saw on their old PC.

You really do need to gain a better understanding of apps. Devices, mobile or otherwise, are not apps. Apps are little programs that you get off an app store to amuse yourself with when you have nothing important to do. People have been using apps on Apple and Android devices for years, the only 'killer' that Windows 8 has introduced is the desktop killer.

And as they get used to it, those people that continue to have a workstation for serious calculations(i.e. playing Crysis, and other PC games, amongst other applications :p) are going to go touchscreen for Windows to bring the two UI's into line. Its simply a smoother and easier way to interface to your applications, once you learn it and find a form factor you like.

I'd love to have a translation of this paragraph.

It's a good thing we've got you around to explain stuff Ray, I thought Chrisa sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Also Apps is now a generic term for programmes, saves a lot of typing.

I'll forgive you for your complete misunderstanding of Apps as you have no apprehension of iPads or Android tablets, suffice be it to say that what you said about them is utter rubbish.

I'm sure you do feel that way, the statements are about as absurd as most of yours. Apps and programs are different entities and should always be identified as such. Programs are code heavy, usually OS dependent, generally expensive, such as Microsoft Office. Apps are ideally OS independent, small in size, cheap and often cloud dependent.

One thing you are most certainly correct about, is that I have no 'apprehension' about iPads or Android devices, or apps. Another epic fail!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
What mysteries, one click to the Desktop, bottom corner, right corner, hover mouse on the left side of screen and right mouse button. IOS has got a lot more hidden mysteries than Windows 8.

All Windows 8 takes is someone to explain just a couple of things and that's it, the rest is virtually Windows 7.

All it takes is... ??? What if you don't have that someone to explain everything in detail like Staples offering "Free Windows 8 Lessons" when buying any new 8 desktop or laptop? For someone who tinkers with OSs on a regular basis they automaticallly perform their own "search and discover" operations as they go along. For someone who only buys a premade machine every so many years for the convenience at this time upgrading out of any XP or Vista laptop and then running smack into Tablet gui with hidden mysteries they won't be taking too well to it!

You can be sure the blog writers have been having a field day with 8 so far! So far the actual enhancements that are new for the desktop platform seen in 8 would be the new Lock screen much like the side bar was a new thrill in Vista! The taskmanager now has a new look to vamp that up in appearance much more like a 3rd party performance app.

The updated form of the MS SE actually works as a genuine system protection other then being just another free program to change the red X indication in the Control Panel to green on having an av program installed. And the one other thing that can complicate dual or multibooting OSs is the new UEFI boot protection that falls under firmware verification. Protecting the pre-OS environment with UEFI

These are the types of things you would expect to see in any newer version as far as some new toys as well as some types of improvements in security and of course the task manager has a new look. That would have been easily a new form of Aero or a new Aero substitute but MS went off in a different direction taking the "cheap way out" of simply slapping the RT gui on all editions of 8 rather then work out something new for the desktop.

And right at the top of the list to explain why 8 is seen as a flop would be Reason #1 by this author of Windows RT on the desktop platform? While no OS is ever based on the main look by that alone each new version of Windows has been sold using that formula while 8 strays away from the established framework to chase after a Google bash on the mobile market mentality. The entire agenda now is focused on the portable and hand held while abandoning the main product as the critisms will continue.

There's not going to be any way around 8 getting bashed by the critics which include professionals in the industry. Everyone has been watching what too many now see a blonder as far as what MS is marketing for the desktop. No one bashes MS for working up a new OS for their new Surface Tablets since they are introducing a new product for that platform while the bashing is due to short changing the desktop users! Windows 8 is half of a new version with something else thrown on top of it!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
You really do need to gain a better understanding of apps. Devices, mobile or otherwise, are not apps. Apps are little programs that you get off an app store to amuse yourself with when you have nothing important to do. People have been using apps on Apple and Android devices for years, the only 'killer' that Windows 8 has introduced is the desktop killer.

I'd love to have a translation of this paragraph.

It's a good thing we've got you around to explain stuff Ray, I thought Chrisa sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Also Apps is now a generic term for programmes, saves a lot of typing.

I'll forgive you for your complete misunderstanding of Apps as you have no apprehension of iPads or Android tablets, suffice be it to say that what you said about them is utter rubbish.

I'm sure you do feel that way, the statements are about as absurd as most of yours. Apps and programs are different entities and should always be identified as such. Programs are code heavy, usually OS dependent, generally expensive, such as Microsoft Office. Apps are ideally OS independent, small in size, cheap and often cloud dependent.

One thing you are most certainly correct about, is that I have no 'apprehension' about iPads or Android devices, or apps. Another epic fail!
I give up, maybe you should tell App developers, about their small cheap Photo editing apps and video editing apps, as well as spreadsheet apps, I could go on but you wear me out Ray, nothing I could ever tell you will sink in.

I'm willing to bet you're from around the Snowy Mountains area.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
What mysteries, one click to the Desktop, bottom corner, right corner, hover mouse on the left side of screen and right mouse button. IOS has got a lot more hidden mysteries than Windows 8.

All Windows 8 takes is someone to explain just a couple of things and that's it, the rest is virtually Windows 7.

All it takes is... ??? What if you don't have that someone to explain everything in detail like Staples offering "Free Windows 8 Lessons" when buying any new 8 desktop or laptop? For someone who tinkers with OSs on a regular basis they automaticallly perform their own "search and discover" operations as they go along. For someone who only buys a premade machine every so many years for the convenience at this time upgrading out of any XP or Vista laptop and then running smack into Tablet gui with hidden mysteries they won't be taking too well to it!

You can be sure the blog writers have been having a field day with 8 so far! So far the actual enhancements that are new for the desktop platform seen in 8 would be the new Lock screen much like the side bar was a new thrill in Vista! The taskmanager now has a new look to vamp that up in appearance much more like a 3rd party performance app.

The updated form of the MS SE actually works as a genuine system protection other then being just another free program to change the red X indication in the Control Panel to green on having an av program installed. And the one other thing that can complicate dual or multibooting OSs is the new UEFI boot protection that falls under firmware verification. Protecting the pre-OS environment with UEFI

These are the types of things you would expect to see in any newer version as far as some new toys as well as some types of improvements in security and of course the task manager has a new look. That would have been easily a new form of Aero or a new Aero substitute but MS went off in a different direction taking the "cheap way out" of simply slapping the RT gui on all editions of 8 rather then work out something new for the desktop.

And right at the top of the list to explain why 8 is seen as a flop would be Reason #1 by this author of Windows RT on the desktop platform? While no OS is ever based on the main look by that alone each new version of Windows has been sold using that formula while 8 strays away from the established framework to chase after a Google bash on the mobile market mentality. The entire agenda now is focused on the portable and hand held while abandoning the main product as the critisms will continue.

There's not going to be any way around 8 getting bashed by the critics which include professionals in the industry. Everyone has been watching what too many now see a blonder as far as what MS is marketing for the desktop. No one bashes MS for working up a new OS for their new Surface Tablets since they are introducing a new product for that platform while the bashing is due to short changing the desktop users! Windows 8 is half of a new version with something else thrown on top of it!
I've been around a long time Nighthawk, I've never seen a time when Microsoft wasn't getting bashed, it absolutely doesn't matter what Microsoft does it gets bashed. They start bashing Microsoft before anything even comes out.

I've never seen or touched a Zune, but I feel like I know all about it, just from the criticism alone. Right to this day people use it much like Vista to bash Microsoft. Yet the people who actually owned one reckon it was much better than any iPod, even the odd one or two bloggers gave it a AAA rating.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I give up, maybe you should tell App developers, about their small cheap Photo editing apps and video editing apps, as well as spreadsheet apps, I could go on but you wear me out Ray, nothing I could ever tell you will sink in.

Excellent!

Adobe has actually made a Photoshop app for Apple and Android: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adobe-photoshop-express/id331975235?mt=8ttp://www.adobe.com/au/products/photoshop-touch.html, Adobe Photoshop Express for Android | Photoshop.com. How can they give away these things for free, when Photoshop is so expensive?

Last time I looked at the Windows 8 app store, there wasn't much that cost over $5. Try buying a full blown program for $5. When it comes to things not sinking in, you are a prime example.

Is there something about the Snowy Mountains area that makes it suitable to imply as an insult?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64

Excellent!

Adobe has actually made a Photoshop app for Apple and Android: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adobe-photoshop-express/id331975235?mt=8ttp://www.adobe.com/au/products/photoshop-touch.html, Adobe Photoshop Express for Android | Photoshop.com. How can they give away these things for free, when Photoshop is so expensive?

Last time I looked at the Windows 8 app store, there wasn't much that cost over $5. Try buying a full blown program for $5. When it comes to things not sinking in, you are a prime example.

Is there something about the Snowy Mountains area that makes it suitable to imply as an insult?
The Iceman cometh.

Okay let's see, no overheads, no advertising fees, no middleman, no packaging and no retail store and sales people and a much larger audience. Some of those cheap useless little apps today are way more powerful than programmes were just a few years ago.

An app on my camera allows me to take Panoramic Photos and allows editing, I can take continuos shots by holding down the button, most expensive cameras aren't even capable of doing that.

I have an App for navigating on my phone, it's better than my $400 Navman navigator, but yeah it probably just took a day or two to develop.

I really hope a developer reads your comment Ray, I really do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
The Iceman cometh.

Okay let's see, no overheads, no advertising fees, no middleman, no packaging and no retail store and sales people and a much larger audience. Some of those cheap useless little apps today are way more powerful than programmes were just a few years ago.

An app on my camera allows me to take Panoramic Photos and allows editing, I can take continuos shots by holding down the button, most expensive cameras aren't even capable of doing that.

I have an App for navigating on my phone, it's better than my $400 Navman navigator, but yeah it probably just took a day or two to develop.

I really hope a developer reads your comment Ray, I really do.

See, once again you get things completely wrong. I was not saying that apps are useless, that there is no effort required to develop apps and that they are not functional, but simply that technically they are not as complex as full blown programs. That's simply what you read into what I posted, because you are always interpreting anything I write as being negative.

Your example about costs is completely blown out of the water if you consider that my examples were products produced by Adobe, which does have overheads, advertising fees, middlemen etc for their range of products, one of which is the Photoshop Express. Not all app developers are one man bands trying to produce the best fart app in the world.

The same applies to your other examples, most apps such as those are provided by rather substantial concerns like the OEM camera manufacturers, or navigation providers such as Garmin, CoPilot, Google etc. And in regard to your navigation example, navigation programs are only as good as the maps that are available and whether they are available off-line.

I'd gladly discuss this with an app developer, I doubt that we'd have a great deal of disagreement. BTW, I'm an ex-professional photographer, amongst other things, so I do know a little bit about photography equipment and associated software.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Standard Excuses

Are you back on that old excuse that win 8 is not selling because people don't want to spend?

Is that it?

Apple didn't have any trouble selling a lot of products in xmas season.

It's just like the other standard fallback, "people hate change".

If that is true, then why did people buy iPhones, iPads, iPad Minis and Android tablets in the first place?
:doh:
I've never seen or touched a Zune, but I feel like I know all about it, just from the criticism alone.

The Zune interface was the forerunner to Metro.
I thought that it was awful (and Metro inherited its characteristics).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
.Apps are little programs that you get off an app store to amuse yourself with when you have nothing important to do.
Yep I misunderstood you, a complete misinterpretation.

My Computer

System One

• OS
.Apps are little programs that you get off an app store to amuse yourself with when you have nothing important to do.
Yep I misunderstood you, a complete misinterpretation.

For a supposed Australian, you sure lack any sense of the irreverent and dry humour.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I do actually program professionally.

Apps are going to be what we used to call 'Lite' versions of a tool. A subset of your product is broken out and provided as a Lite version so that users can see what its all about. In the case of Photoshop, it has a lot of basic filters most people commonly use and the ability to do some fun stuff with a picture. In essence, its marketing Photoshop to millions of users(and their friends who see them using the functionality), and by extension the CS suite of Adobe products.

If you want the full-blown tool, you go through the normal web channels of either buying the whole thing online or in a store.. or going through their subscription service. Expect to pay quite a bit.. whether over-time or upfront. Full product, you pay the big bux.

As per the technicalities of Apps vs Applications... Apps are like Applications wrapped in a very tight condom. Everything they do must be stated up front to the user, and if its special functionality like say access to the webcam, you ask very nicely with a confirmation box, and you can't really go offroading with them into the really esoteric portions of a system like you can with an Application. Its also tends to be slower than compiled native code.

That said, the backend of Windows as it currently sits Microsoft has nailed right to the wall. A lot of this stuff has been going in over years and nobody has really paid that much attention to it, especially if you programmed out of a traditional Windows Forms Application(like.. most developers).

With the App side of it, there is no ignoring it as you have no other choice but to dive head first into XAML for the front end(RT doesn't understand Forms). What they've managed to do is set it up so honestly, you can build both an App or an Application with essentially the same code. Its simply a different project using the same code and being compiled differently. There are some exceptions(like displaying Vector Graphics), but you should be able to make an interface library for RT and one for the Win Application that use the same calls but backend to their different platforms, one for each Project.

As such, whats good for one is good for the other.. like.. oh.. touch and pen. That stuff is native and baked right into the controls. I can display text, run the program, and immediately be able to pinch to zoom, scroll it with touch, whatever... all with not having to not write any touch-specific code for it.. it just works. Oh, and all previous libraries you've been writing in C#, VB, or C++ in previous years? That all works, either App or Application.

Apple should frankly be scared, to be quiet honest. If Development Enviornments were the Space Race, Microsoft just landed on the moon and Apple is still launching Mercury rockets.

I'm working my way through the Petzold book now(Programming Windows Edition 6). I highly suggest it for anybody who wants to get their footing and learn their way around the system. Most programs are very easy to understand and less than a page or so. Visual Studio 2012 Express for Windows 8 costs you nothing.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 on the desktop, Windows 8 Surface Pro mobile

People do hate change, on PC's. Part of that comes from the fact that they used to be so bloody hard and technical to use, that once you got it running in the way you liked.. you didn't want it to change because that meant you had to repeat the whole process :>.

Vista in particular was excessively nasty on the population, especially in that it had very real technical issues when working with certain older games. The day I installed Windows 7 was the culmination of years of frustration as the game i liked playing started finally working properly and I haven't had another issue since.

Pretty much the only reason i'm really giving Windows 8 a go is that with the Surface Pro, I can completely segregate it from the main system while getting familiar with it for work. Best move I ever made. If what they have setup gets up to speed with developers, its going to be an absolute locomotive rolling through the industry.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I'm giving Windows 8 a chance personally because it offers better performance.

Other than that, I have no real hate on it overall. Though I have universal vengeance against Metro interface.

But yes, I won't be installing it on my clients' machines. There's no way they can adapt to this change. No start menu? No Windows 8 on my company. Ever.

Either Microsoft listen or I vote with my company's wallet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo
    CPU
    i7

People do hate change, on PC's. Part of that comes from the fact that they used to be so bloody hard and technical to use, that once you got it running in the way you liked.. you didn't want it to change because that meant you had to repeat the whole process :>.

Vista in particular was excessively nasty on the population, especially in that it had very real technical issues when working with certain older games. The day I installed Windows 7 was the culmination of years of frustration as the game i liked playing started finally working properly and I haven't had another issue since.

Pretty much the only reason i'm really giving Windows 8 a go is that with the Surface Pro, I can completely segregate it from the main system while getting familiar with it for work. Best move I ever made. If what they have setup gets up to speed with developers, its going to be an absolute locomotive rolling through the industry.

People may hate change like some I know that now have to look at 7 while having not wanted to even consider anything but XP for several years already. The time has come for that one to go "bye bye" since no one no longer provides drivers for it like when going out to buy a new board.

So "you" yourself had problems with Vista. that wouldn't make it any universal problem since I never ran into any real problems and the only things that wouldn't run where those specifically written for XP like one old game. Metal of Honor: Allied Assault which by the way went right on the 32bit 7 and ran since 7 offered far more backward compatibility as well as seeing support for Fat restored in Windows. Your cell phones with usb, smart phones, IPads, IPhonies, digital cameras and camcorders use Fat as well as flash drives, External hard drives see exFat as well.

All this pressured MS to put back what it had taken out of Win Vista due to new technologies. Gee what if a new desktop technology was introduced. Think MS might start getting back to work on the desktop platform? Well let's see new micro mini cases that are small power house pcs since the newer micro MBs offer more kick for the dollar.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
All this pressured MS to put back what it had taken out of Win Vista due to new technologies. Gee what if a new desktop technology was introduced. Think MS might start getting back to work on the desktop platform? Well let's see new micro mini cases that are small power house pcs since the newer micro MBs offer more kick for the dollar.

Microsoft never 'left' or 'stopped working' on the desktop platform. I love how people somehow think that the Application Enviornment or the ability to compile and run non-RT executables is somehow going away.

They aren't Apple lol.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Difference of architecture

View attachment 17775

Windows 7
Victorian house with all the bells and whistles. Designed more on the vertical line. Quite nice if one likes this sort of style. Functions well.

View attachment 17776

Windows 8
Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water. Ingenious. Designed more on the horizontal line. Flows well. A whole new look. This is more aesthetically pleasing to me.

To each their own. :)

Very nice comparison, Hippsie!

Looks better, BUT the second one needs more maintenance even from the house perspective. Look where it's placed: I love nature, but you need to cut down the bushes and trees pretty often to stop the jungle from taking over in the house. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Hi there
C'mon peeps.

we might all have our prejudices -- but in Europe (and increasingly in Asia) the Windows 8 Phones are doing quite nicely -- The Windows 7 and "7.5" versions were a bit of a dog but the Lumias are flying off the shelves and in a mature market -- that's no mean feat.

(Also to everybody who are CONTINUALLY knocking W8 with 100's of THE SAME posts -- I think the main 2 offenders here know who I mean-- Really How difficult is it to use ANY version of Windows with the exception of Windows NT).

Windows NT definitely was not at all "User friendly" for use as a desktop -- USB support was poor or non existent, Networking with RAS etc was a total nightmare and to try and add any typical new hardware required you almost to have a degree in Computer Science to get it configured. Fortunately Ms decided this was essentially destined to be a "Server" OS and modified it a bit to make the much more friendly (and actually a decent OS) Windows 2000.

Anyway here's one for all the Computer Gurus to ponder :

My 95 Year old Grandad took precisely 10 mins to use Windows 8 without ANY problems whatsoever -- and he actually PREFERRED it to Windows XP which is what he'd being using before.

I had to install and set it up for him and get his applications sorted -- He uses a Touch screen Monitor and is happy with it -- he basically just uses Touch to get and start the application he wants such as one of his Trading programs and then uses the Mouse and keyboard as a typical desktop user -- he likes the BEST of the New while still retaining a lot of stuff he's used to.

He STLL does a little Stock trading so he's just not casually surfing the web.

If a 95 year old guy can get to grips with this after years of using XP I can't believe that :

a) Windows 8 is impossible to use for people who are working primarily on a "Classic Desktop" - especially as I'd assume most of these users to be far more "Computer Savvy" than my 95 year old Grandad.

b) Windows 8 is doomed to failure. I don't believe it for an instant -- Of course there needs to be some changes --everybody can always pick out features in ANY OS which they either don't like, have been poorly implemented or want changed in some way.

Anyway Ms is in this for the long haul -- and often these days an old classic menu can be MORE of a hindrance than a help. -- Using two or three toolbars can make it a LOT easier than finding stuff in a Generic Menu with everything included as well as the kitchen sink.

With the old Menu system you can't even select say a subset like OFFICE -- you have to select OFFICE from the MAIN menu and then select the Office product you want.

I prefer a Toolbar of frequently used applications -- works a treat whether via just a toolbar or even via tiles on a Touch screen.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
. It seems that we were right, and Kantar has just published new info on the global smartphone market. This info indicates that Windows Phone 8 has had a strong impact on the Windows Phone platform and that Microsoft’s mobile operating system is finally getting some significant traction.

The best news comes from Europe where Windows Phone’s marketshare has more than doubled, with 5.4% compared with 2.6% back in 2011. Leading the pack is Italy where adoption has surged and Microsoft’s OS now accounts for a very healthy 13.9% of the market. Great news also comes out of Britain with 5.9%, up from 2.2% at the end of 2011. This is significant as the UK is one of Europe’s major markets and Windows Phone had previously been lagging there. However, this big increase tells Microsoft and its partners that they are finally doing something right.
I said a couple of days ago that Italy had over 10% it's actually 13.9% and the UK looks to be doing well.

My Computer

System One

• OS

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
@Bill,

You are hilarious.

Pleased to see Nokia are getting some sales. I wouldn't have rejoiced if they had bitten the dust. I am not sure they are out of the woods yet, though.

You might have noticed Samsung have enormous sales with their Galaxy things.

Does that mean all those buyers are getting it purely because it carries Android?

I don't think so. I think you will find there are plenty of phones carrying Android that are having a hard time.

It is because of the Samsung product offering. Price , place, promotion and so on. They have made a device that appeals. They have priced it right. They have made it available thru the right channels, they have promoted it well, deals available through carriers are important and so on.

What does that tell you about Android? Not very much - except perhaps it is no so loathed that it becomes a deal breaker.

Nokia seem to be able to sell some Lumias . What does that tell you about w8 phone os? Not very much - except perhaps it is not so loathed it is a dealbreaker. It may be ok as a phone os.

A dining fork is ok for eating your dinner.

It is not ok for digging the garden.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back